IGNORED

Un Waged Ticket

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate

With Ticket price as they are a lot of supporter on benfit cannot afford to go to games.I try to go a few games a season but in general I listen to the radio.This is a pity because having supported the City all my life. I am now excluded by the price of the tickets it cost my wife and myself about £35 to watch a game at ashton gate

Why can't the club come up with a un waged ticket of say £8, my ideal is you show your benfit entilement to the club then you are given a code so when buy your ticket you get a discount.Is it better to have some one going ever match rather then 2/3 times a season I would think.

With Ticket price as they are a lot of supporter on benfit cannot afford to go to games.I try to go a few games a season but in general I listen to the radio.This is a pity because having supported the City all my life. I am now excluded by the price of the tickets it cost my wife and myself about £35 to watch a game at ashton gate

Why can't the club come up with a un waged ticket of say £8, my ideal is you show your benfit entilement to the club then you are given a code so when buy your ticket you get a discount.Is it better to have some one going ever match rather then 2/3 times a season I would think.

You could go and watch the academy matches for nothing.

Guest ashtonyate

I understand your point but then wouldn't the children's tickets have to be changed as you would have an unwaged person getting in £2 cheaper than a child?

If children tickets were cheaper you might get more familys going along, and these children are the next full paying supporter.Alot of familys are not able to go to matches and this could back firer in years to come when gates start to fall.

You could go and watch the academy matches for nothing.

So you are saying because i am poor I should go and watch second class football thank you very much.

So because I work i'm entitled to pay full whack, do think prices are abit prices but why should for example the ones who can't be bothered to get off their backsides and get a job be able to have cheap rate tickets (not saying ashton yate your one of those people just in general)

If children tickets were cheaper you might get more familys going along, and these children are the next full paying supporter.Alot of familys are not able to go to matches and this could back firer in years to come when gates start to fall.

Again I take your point and agree under 16's are the future supporters, and families should be encouraged. I believe they are encouraged more than they ever were and football clubs realise their importance. But as you state, it's all at a price that is out of reach for some people.

Pay on the day for a child is £10 now I believe. I was just concerned that the child would be paying more than an unwaged person, that can't be right so the childs prices will have to be reduced too?. what if an unwaged person wanted to take a child for example?

Football is now a luxury, an entertainment. Some would argue that unemployment benefit etc is not paid to fund such luxuries? :dunno:

• Admin

So you are saying because i am poor I should go and watch second class football thank you very much.

Surely you should be taking the same approach to BMW or Ferrari?

It's so unfair that because you are poor you have to use second class transport! :@

Football Club in wanting affluent supporters who are willing to spend money shock!

Exactly! where will it end? Should the club offer discounted prices on merchandise, CATS tickets, even the burger at the kiosk???

The club is a business not a charity, although some players have been guilty of taking charitable handouts in the past! They are out to make money and exploit any opportunity for maximum benefit, no different from any other business.

Guest Tactical Genius

They are out to make money and exploit any opportunity for maximum benefit, no different from any other business.

Except for the way in which they fritter away money on high wages for underperforming and underskilled staff.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I do try to avoid posting, but I fear this thread, and in particular the responses, have moved me to type.

Some of the replies on here are so condescending, patronising and sarcastic I actually wonder if the posters are only responding to wind up Ashtonyate, or are actually this blinkered in regards to the unemployed.

I've suggested twice to the club that they look into linking up with the local jobcentre, and give those seeking work discounted tickets while their personal income is low. We do it for students, why not the unemployed? You could argue both such groups are similar in a way, as for the majority they are not able to command a decent income.

Hull City run this type of scheme with their local jobcentre plus network, and I'm sure other clubs do to. Why can't city consider such a scheme.

If posters would care to open their eyes, it is clear on matchdays we have plenty of seats not bringing in ticket money, or are the unemployed a part of society that aren't welcome at football?

It would be nice to have a club open and available to as many Bristolians as possible, but I guess that is a bridge to far for many of its fans.

Football Club in wanting affluent supporters who are willing to spend money shock!

Trouble is, thats the reality of it these days.

The replies to Ashtonyate are along the lines of "we're alright, Jack". Comparisons with BMW's and holidays in Barbados completely miss the point and to be frank are out of order.

I'm all for market forces, but football shouldnt be run like that. Football is a zero-sum game, its impossible for more than a handful to be successful each season, so you cannot compare it to any other type of business.

A football club should belong to and for the supporters, not exist as a money making venture for the ultimate benefit of overpaid players.

Back in 80/81/82 when I was a student, it was £1.80 to get in the East End. At that price, football was an option for everybody, whether unemployed, student or just on low pay.

Since then, tickets have increased 10 fold, whereas to keep up with average wages, tickets now should be the equivalent of around £7. :disapointed2se:

So you now have a whole class of supporter who are unable to watch their favourite teams.

In principle I support Ashtonyate, the problem is workability - it isnt just the unemployed that cant go to games. Ticket prices are out of the reach of a whole class of people who would have been regulars 20 years ago.

I think it is generally agreed that players in the Premiership are overpaid - and market forces dictates that that permeates throughout the whole football pyramid, with the ridiculous outcome that even some average Western League players are picking up £200 a game.

Years ago, there was a maximum wage, which proved unworkable. My opinion, for what its worth, is that a ceiling should be imposed on ticket prices. That would make football available to everybody once again rather than excluding 10 or 20% of society. Economics would force football clubs to reduce player salaries.

Don't knock Ashtonyate, he has a valid point.

I do try to avoid posting, but I fear this thread, and in particular the responses, have moved me to type.

Some of the replies on here are so condescending, patronising and sarcastic I actually wonder if the posters are only responding to wind up Ashtonyate, or are actually this blinkered in regards to the unemployed.

I've suggested twice to the club that they look into linking up with the local jobcentre, and give those seeking work discounted tickets while their personal income is low. We do it for students, why not the unemployed? You could argue both such groups are similar in a way, as for the majority they are not able to command a decent income.

Hull City run this type of scheme with their local jobcentre plus network, and I'm sure other clubs do to. Why can't city consider such a scheme.

If posters would care to open their eyes, it is clear on matchdays we have plenty of seats not bringing in ticket money, or are the unemployed a part of society that aren't welcome at football?

It would be nice to have a club open and available to as many Bristolians as possible, but I guess that is a bridge to far for many of its fans.

:) At last a decent post. perhaps you should try and post a little more! better to have a good read than some of the up your backside rubbish you get. As for pay on the day for kids £10, last season £5 100% increase! if i cant get my tickets until i get to the match the 3 of them stay at home, don't like doing it but £30 less for the club. They might even find other things to do. when you watch 2nd class football i expect 2nd class prices.

here's a unmentioned suggestion? Ashtonyate? why don't you just leave the wife at home? therefore you will be saving half you money and also will more than likely have a better time without her nagging!

No? I'll get my coat!

I don't know why the 'unwaged' can't be offered the concession rate, over 65 or full time students. ( Especially as the club has done away with the under 19 prices.) I don't think people would object to that. I'd rather see the stadium full than empty seats. My point was that they can't be expecting to pay less than a child.

I think the pay on the day price for a child has risen way too much this year and know people who have been 'caught out' and had to borrow extra money to gain entry because they didn't realise.

Fair enough, the Barbados comment was flippant, but where do you draw the line. Presumably most benefits relate to basic nesscessities and needs and not to luxuries. I agree that it would be great if everyone was able to watch city but I think in most peoples books watching football is a luxury. Would you for instance discount prices to all sporting events and taking it on from there entries to theatres etc.

I really am not trying to upset anyone but surely we all work to earn money, then make choices on what we spend it on and realise that we cannot do everything and have to prioritise what we want most.

Go on your own and it will only cost 20 quid!!

Fair enough, the Barbados comment was flippant, but where do you draw the line. Presumably most benefits relate to basic nesscessities and needs and not to luxuries. I agree that it would be great if everyone was able to watch city but I think in most peoples books watching football is a luxury. Would you for instance discount prices to all sporting events and taking it on from there entries to theatres etc.

I really am not trying to upset anyone but surely we all work to earn money, then make choices on what we spend it on and realise that we cannot do everything and have to prioritise what we want most.

:farmer usally later in a season if City have no more to play for (hopefully not this season) they are quick enough to have a Quid a kid, just to try and get adults to turn up! So why not keep it cheaper for kids not old enough to get a wage so its not so harsh on adult pockets! This would also keep the future support.

I do try to avoid posting,

Have I missed something? Why do you avoid posting? I know a great lawyer.

Taking the politics out of this, from a simple business perspective surely the club calculates the following:

"current attendees who are on benefits X full admission price = Income A

Potential attendees who are on benefits X reduced admission price = Income B"

If income B is greater than income A, any business would make the discount. Ticket prices are surely set with a view to maximising income per customer segment. Thats not moral or political, just reality.

Correct me if I'm wrong becuase I'm not sure about this, but people who are on job seekers allowance are allowed to stay on this for 6 months, then it changes its name to somthing else. Why not offer student prices to people on Job seekers allowance only, this way it would be a way of the club showing we appreciate your going through a hard patch at the moment, come see us and well halp you out. But avoid people who 'never' work becuase as someone put it, couldnt be bothered to get off their lazy bottoms! I think thats a fair way of doing it.

Have I missed something? Why do you avoid posting? I know a great lawyer.

Taking the politics out of this, from a simple business perspective surely the club calculates the following:

If income B is greater than income A, any business would make the discount. Ticket prices are surely set with a view to maximising income per customer segment. Thats not moral or political, just reality.

:doh: "YEAH" now i know why your known as MAD!!

The line is drawn by distinguishing between what is a "luxury" and what is a basic right.

I'm not saying that a basic right is to attend football matches, but I don't think it should be regarded as a luxury either. Football was always the past time everyone could afford. Supporting your team and attending matches gives a feeling of carmaraderie and social inclusion, that you just cannot compare with expensive holidays or going to the theatre.

I completely agree that each person has a choice how they spend their money, and inevitably some can afford more than others. I just think that something which is meant to be a central part of a community, such as a football club, should be available to all members of that community. I see people from time to time who I know were regulars years ago but do not attend at all now because they cannot afford it. There is something not right about pricing people out of supporting their team.

The line is drawn by distinguishing between what is a "luxury" and what is a basic right.

I'm not saying that a basic right is to attend football matches, but I don't think it should be regarded as a luxury either. Football was always the past time everyone could afford. Supporting your team and attending matches gives a feeling of carmaraderie and social inclusion, that you just cannot compare with expensive holidays or going to the theatre.

I completely agree that each person has a choice how they spend their money, and inevitably some can afford more than others. I just think that something which is meant to be a central part of a community, such as a football club, should be available to all members of that community. I see people from time to time who I know were regulars years ago but do not attend at all now because they cannot afford it. There is something not right about pricing people out of supporting their team.

Ok Nick, I think what you said about it being part of the community and something we should alll enjoy is SPOT ON, but untill clubs are run as non profit making organisations and only charge for running costs it is going to remain as it is.

As for suggesting you cannot compare this to holidays or going to the theatre, I have already agreed with you that the holiday analogy is not a good one. As for the theatre I was trying to think of other leisure activities, I personally don't visit the theatre but I'm sure there are some who would see it as far more central to their lives than football.

lactivitiesactivities

Ok Nick, I think what you said about it being part of the community and something we should alll enjoy is SPOT ON, but untill clubs are run as non profit making organisations and only charge for running costs it is going to remain as it is.

As for suggesting you cannot compare this to holidays or going to the theatre, I have already agreed with you that the holiday analogy is not a good one. As for the theatre I was trying to think of other leisure activities, I personally don't visit the theatre but I'm sure there are some who would see it as far more central to their lives than football.

lactivitiesactivities

Yeah, see what you mean. Difficult aint it?

The Supporters Trust could be as near a solution we will get, in the long run.

Guest Tactical Genius

Precisely. Lansdown knows that even if he makes football cheap, there is only a limited number of people who will be prepared to part with any money to watch the crap served up in division 3.

The club is always going to have to make the best income it can and while enough people are willing to play high prices then the prices will remain high. We all complain about money ruining the game but at the end of the day where does the money ultimately come from? Us. Either through Sky or merchandise or matchday attendance. Perhaps the falling attendance drama over the last few weeks will stem the rises for a while?

As for what BCFC can do, it's guesswork really. How much would lowering some of the prices increase attendance by? Would it end up with more or less income in total? What about over time, would it help build a bigger core fanbase?

Some ideas that could make the football more accessible without hurting income much:

- quid a kid for all kids under 12 permanently, get em hooked young, make them pester their dads to take them more often.

- group tickets. 6 adults for the price of 5 and 10 for the price of 8 etc. Rather than lose money you'd find more people coming for the "free space" I think, and you'd get organisations making group bookings more.

- concessions reduced to 50% of a normal adult ticket and to include those on jobseekers/disability, I don't think people in this position can afford to attend much currently so it would be more money rather than less.

Nibor

Archived