IGNORED

Reasons Why You Fell In Love

Mr Gow

Coming from the sag side of the river my family were saggies, and at a very young age i natrualy (sp) told all my little mates i was a Rovers fan, this was before i had ever been to a football match,however in 73 or 74 i was taken to a match at the gate think it was scunny and stood in the east end, from that night onwards i never looked back, i was in love with City

Being a young school boy as I was at the time, I sat in the Dolman stand with my uncle. There were around 8,500 at the gate in a last home game against Reading who were already promoted and we won 3-0.

I remember the roar when we scored and the chanting noise coming from the East End and from then on I had to be there at every game.

Ahhhh.....they were the days.

MM

Went along in 1970 for a game against Fulham. We lost. Ashton Gate wasn't the first ground my Dad took me to. The first two games I attended were at Molineux - games against Leeds and Southampton. I don't know why, but there was something about the sight, sound and smell from Ashton Gate that excited me. I had an excellent seat in The Dolman (as opposed to being on my Dad's shoulders at Wolves) but the habit of going to Ashton Gate stuck. Later I found another Footballing friend and we went to Bristol City one week and Bath City next (they seemed to play at Twerton Park when City were away).

As a kid I used to play football up on the downs with my brother and a couple of school mates before the downs league teams came out, and then he took us down to the Gate (my mum was pleased - a whole afternoon without us for the cost of a couple of kids tickets). I started in the old fourth division days with Terry Cooper in charge, so whatever we see now we're at least better off than then, leage position-wise

We used to get there early enough that we could sit on the corrugated tin roof of the home dugout - and got quite an education in muttered swearwords from below :devil:

Dan

One of my first games was at home to Stoke City, as i recall we lost 2-1. Sitting in the Dolman it sent shivers down my spine to see the passion and support City fans were giving their team. Plenty of 'banter' after the game and i thought "cor i want to be a part of this" i have never looked back and have taken my seat in the Dolman on a Saturday afternoon ever since :)

I lived in St.George surrounded by Rovers fans,when I was about 7 a neighbour gave me

a red rugby shirt,I thought it was a football shirt and raced home with it to ask my brother

(rovers fan)which football team played in red,luckily he said City,at that point the love affair began.

Ever since I have been subjected to disappointment and under achievement but to this day I am

glad my brother said that City play in red and not Man Utd or anyone else

my dad was a true red and used to take me from 1979 on wards he pasted away in 86 so i had no one to take me as he had shares in city i had to change them over to my name so i got right back into watching them a few years back now my sons into his footie me the missies and me son cant stay away

we love the city

Went down to an evening with my mate and his dad in 1993, remember sitting in the Dolman, the with about 10 mins to go going down and standing on the wall that used to be there next to the pitch (before the GWR stand was built). That moment when stood on the wall at pitch level was when I fell in love with the atmosphere and everything. loved it, still do. :city:

The first Bristol match I saw was at Eastville :o Gas v :dunno: then thought I could find something more interesting and went and stood in the East End v Birmingham in 1968 never went anywhere else since then that didnt involve :city: followed :city: all over the country in late 60`s early 70`s hardly missing a game home or away :chant6ez:

Now just mainly home games but c.t.i.d :city::city::city:

Thankfully witnessed the great day when promotted to the old 1st div and the great G.Gow and co team

First game was City vs. Southampton.

I only really went to that because my mates were City fans and Southampton were a big club. But I loved the experience so much I went to 3 more league games that year, and got a season ticket in 2004/5. :)

Was actually born to follow the Reds.

Grandfather was a groundsman at Farliegh Hospital & Dad was a fan since he was a young lad.

So from an early age it was either the GATE or FARLIEGH HOSPITAL to watch the team.

The memory of taking a box to stand on, so I could see & then hanging my scarf through the railings, on the terraces before the Dolman was built.

Some fans discover their team later in life & some fans are born with the club in the blood.

:city:

I was born into a City supporting family so its always been that way.

My Dad wouldnt take me when I was young though, because sadly he was involved with Citys hooligan element. :(

Once he stopped all that nonsense though he started taking me (first game was a 1-1 draw with Mansfield in March 1990, Bob Taylor scored) I kept going back because he thought I was a good luck charm...Over the next 20 or so games that I saw we didnt lose once despite having a relatively poor team for old second division standard. Then finally in September 1992, I saw West Ham tonk us 5-1, andd I just remember being shellshocked as I never thought it was possible for City to lose. :laugh:

I'd always followed city but had never gone to a match, (girls just didn't go then!) until my best friend's dad was given some tickets. He owned a very posh French resteraunt on whiteladies road, the city team would often go in there. My best friend and her dad were both French and liked rugby more than football so I ended up going with one of the chefs who spoke very little English, and me not much French!

I think it was around Xmas time and cold and foggy, I think Kevin Mabbutt got sent off too! But I was hooked and went regularly ever since!

remember seein city beat plymoth at home wen i was about 4 and remeber singin about the ref!

and i diddnt see them lo0se till i was about 7 wen we lost to everton at home in the fa cup! i think i mwas about 7 any1 no when tht game was? :city::city:

Don't know how old you are, but i remember Everton beat us at AG the season after we knocked Liverpool out - so 95 ?

I fell in love with them when i was finally allowed to go to my 1st City match aged 13 (i'd pleaded with my dad to be allowed for years previously). A neighbour took me (- thanks Mr Leslie).

It was 1977 and we were playing Leeds Utd at home. They were a real force then. We won 3-1 and Norman Hunter scored his 1st City goal (against his old mates) direct from a free kick. The atmosphere in the East End was fantastic.

At the end we were leaving & walking through the East End Coach Park (no cars in those days - full of coaches from all over the South West), over the tannoy system came a Div 2 final score - Tottenham Hotspur 9 Bristol Rovers 0

Well that was it ! - I've been going regularly H & A ever since.

:city::englandsmile4wf::city:

My first game was the first of 3 games against Liverpool in the FA Cup back in January 1994. I was about 12 at the time and was with my dad sat in the area between the Williams and the East End (I'm not sure which stand it was offically connected to - I think the East End, but its where the walkway for away fans is now!). The 2 things that stand out for me from that game, apart from it being my first real game I had been to, was the nasty chav git sat behind me who thought it was funny to stick his knee into my back for the duration of the match (if that was you - thanks!). The other thing is of course the floodlights failing. I remember there being something in the programme about the all new super floodlights that added to the game becuase they were brighter or something and they were new to the club that season, well they certaintly added something!!! After they failed I remember looking up infront of me at the Dolman stand and nearly everyone with a lighter was holding it in the air and cheering.

The next game I went to was the replay, and Wayne Allison scoring the equaliser and everyone going mad around me!! Then there was the second replay up at Anfield. I didnt go to Liverpool but watched the game on big screens in the east end that night..... and we all know what happened!

And the rest as they say, is history! Been hooked on City ever sinse!

Archived