IGNORED

See We're Not So Stupid After All

Dollymarie

This made me smile when I saw this on the news today, us girls don't just like football for the legs, we actually understand how its played (surprise surprise!) So the next time someone says, "oh what do you girls know?" we can show them what we know.

LONDON (Reuters) - If you don't understand soccer's offside rule, don't ask a man -- find a woman.

Women are top of the table when it comes to knowledge about the beautiful game, relegating their menfolk to second spot, according to a survey released on Wednesday.

Research found that 59 percent of women could correctly identify the offside law -- one of the game's hardest to comprehend -- as opposed to just 55 percent of men.

Also 65 percent of women correctly used the title assistant referee, while 40 percent of men wrongly referred to the official as a "linesman".

"I've never understood the big fuss surrounding whether girls know what they're talking about when it comes to football because it was my mum who taught me the offside rule when I was a kid," said Sky Sports presenter Helen Chamberlain.

However when it came to team strip, the men were way ahead. More than 80 percent of men could correctly identify the kits of the 20 Premiership teams compared to just 33 percent of women, the survey of 2,000 customers of sports bar Walkabout found.

Guest C.T.I.D

This made me smile when I saw this on the news today, us girls don't just like football for the legs, we actually understand how its played (surprise surprise!) So the next time someone says, "oh what do you girls know?" we can show them what we know.

LONDON (Reuters) - If you don't understand soccer's offside rule, don't ask a man -- find a woman.

Women are top of the table when it comes to knowledge about the beautiful game, relegating their menfolk to second spot, according to a survey released on Wednesday.

Research found that 59 percent of women could correctly identify the offside law -- one of the game's hardest to comprehend -- as opposed to just 55 percent of men.

Also 65 percent of women correctly used the title assistant referee, while 40 percent of men wrongly referred to the official as a "linesman".

"I've never understood the big fuss surrounding whether girls know what they're talking about when it comes to football because it was my mum who taught me the offside rule when I was a kid," said Sky Sports presenter Helen Chamberlain.

However when it came to team strip, the men were way ahead. More than 80 percent of men could correctly identify the kits of the 20 Premiership teams compared to just 33 percent of women, the survey of 2,000 customers of sports bar Walkabout found.

written by A Sheila

nuff said :whistle:

Guest MaloneFM

4% difference. That 4% being the Australian bar staff.

65% of women being wrong as the correct term is referees assistant

Helen Chamberlain who is a presenter on a satillite sports channel. So she kind of should know anyway. Its kind of her job. Elanor Oldroyd, Kelly Dalgleish and Clare Tomlinson (who was also head of media at Arsenal) and especially Wendy Toms-a Premier league referee-know it as well.

Are you paranoid Dolly?

Go on then Dolly, explain the offside rule. :D

Go on then Dolly, explain the offside rule. :D

Ok, so lets call the two teams a and b. If a player from team A is trying to play the ball forward, to score in the goal or just to pass to another team mate, then there has to be a player from team B between them and the other player from team A or it is ruled off side.

If there is a player from team B either level with or behind the player from team A when the ball is played then it is deemed to not be offside.

Ok?

Like most things in football, the offside rule is pretty simple - that is until it gets changed each year.

An amendment to the rule was introduced at the start of the 2003/04 season, which allows a player to be in an offside position provided he or she is not "actively involved in play".

It was designed to promote attacking football, but different interpretations of what constitutes "active play" have led some to suggest it is open to abuse.

So ahead of this season Fifa, world football's governing body, has clarified when a player is to be regarded as "actively involved in play":

"Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate."

The changes will only apply to Fifa competitions, with Uefa and the FA both deciding not to adopt the new interpretations.

But in England's World Cup qualifiers, expect to see what would appear to be very late decisions by assistant referees this season, as they won't raise their flag until a player touches the ball.

Of course, a player doesn't necessarily have to touch the ball to influence the play. They are still offside if they are judged to be:

Interfering with an opponent - If an attacker interferes with an opponent by either preventing them from playing or being able to play the ball, then they are offside. This could be done by blocking the goalkeeper, or obstructing their line of vision.

Gaining an advantage - If the ball is played into the penalty area and rebounds off either a post, the crossbar or an opposing defender, then the attacker is offside as they have gained an advantage by being in that position.

Copied from bbc sport website

Guest MaloneFM

Its ok if you want to. Its a free world. I will even help.

Once you start your career as a carpet muncher tape as much of it as possible and send it to me at MaloneFM and I will give you advice such as where to put your legs and suchlike.

I will not charge for this service.

Ok, so lets call the two teams a and b. If a player from team A is trying to play the ball forward, to score in the goal or just to pass to another team mate, then there has to be a player from team B between them and the other player from team A or it is ruled off side.

If there is a player from team B either level with or behind the player from team A when the ball is played then it is deemed to not be offside.

Ok?

WRONG :doh:

I think you will find there has to be TWO players

( last defender + the goalkeeper)

Just goes to show 35% of women don't know the offside rule

Oh don't be pedantic, I knew the goalie would be there too, just didnt include him in the equation! :grr:

Ahh.. but one of the players does not have to be the keeper. This is important as was shown in the 3rd/4th placed play off in Italia 1990 as this was debated when Scillaci scored if I remember rightly?

Well...... I was thinking about it!

don't worry about it, I think about it fairly regularly.

WRONG :doh:

I think you will find there has to be TWO players

( last defender + the goalkeeper)

Just goes to show 35% of women don't know the offside rule

Yes, there are two players to be considered but no, you're wrong, one of them doesn't have to be the keeper.

It is "the second last defender" we should be referring to. usually of course the last defender is the goakeeper but this is not always the case!

I saw this on TV and one of the questions was:

"When an attacking player gets fould in the opposition area what is the Attacking team then awarded?"

She said "A yellow card"

I rest my case.

If that research is indicative of the nation as a whole then i am Guy Madjo

Archived