IGNORED

Tranmere's No.2 Bruce...

Super Scotty Murray

don't know if this has already been covered but I was incensed by him just before half time. After the awful referee wimped out of booking him for a late challenge, no.2 Bruce did a ##nker sign to the crowd that were complaining at the referee...TWICE!!!

Now I don't know about the rules, but surely that is an FA disciplinary offence that should be recognised for inciting fans.

Just wondering if the assistant referee even saw it and whether anything could or should happen about it?

Players should not be allowed to get away with things like that, full stop.

Your comments..?

Guest johnson red

#yes i seen this when i was walking past he did it and everyone could see it. I was stood next to a steward and he addmitted to seeing it aswell but still nothing was done. DISGRACE!!

What always amuses me is that some fans hurl tremendous amounts of abuse, insults and obcene gestures at opposition staff and players during a game and have then got the cheek to be totally shocked and outraged if the opposition respond with a single gesture or word!

All I can say is - grow up! If you didn't abuse them in the first place they perhaps wouldn't feel the need to respond.

I can't believe that some "fans" actually took the time to run down from about 15 rows back in the dolman just to hurl abuse at the player/physio.

Those "fans" should be thrown out just as surely as those who invade the pitch. It's pathetic and there's no need for it.

:@

i agree with SimplyRed. I had a good angle of the incident sitting in Block M. i thought the fans went to far with there Insults on the player. I went down at Half Time to see what is still happening and a few people were shouting and screaming at the Stewards and one guy i saw saying for all fans to run on to the pitch. Disgraceful, i am mad Bruce taunted the fans, i do agree tht tht was not on but i think the fans should also be partly to blame for the incident

What always amuses me is that some fans hurl tremendous amounts of abuse, insults and obcene gestures at opposition staff and players during a game and have then got the cheek to be totally shocked and outraged if the opposition respond with a single gesture or word!

All I can say is - grow up! If you didn't abuse them in the first place they perhaps wouldn't feel the need to respond.

I can't believe that some "fans" actually took the time to run down from about 15 rows back in the dolman just to hurl abuse at the player/physio.

Those "fans" should be thrown out just as surely as those who invade the pitch. It's pathetic and there's no need for it.

Sorry mate, but you are incorrect. Players do get stick that is inappropriate to say the least at times. However, they are professional players, entertaining the supporters who have paid for the privillage. They need to be able to control their temper and never retaliate.

I was apalled by his reaction, and relieved to hear that his behaviour had been reported to the ref.

Disagree. Bruce, if he did gesture to the crowd in that way, is out of order and the fans should take no blame for the incident.

Bruce is the one being paid money to play football and that's what he should be concentrating on. The fans pay money to get behind their team and are also well within their rights to get on the opposition players and fans in order to put them off.

Bruce was weak to react in this way and I see no reason why he shouldn't be in line for punishment.

#yes i seen this when i was walking past he did it and everyone could see it. I was stood next to a steward and he addmitted to seeing it aswell but still nothing was done. DISGRACE!!

Something WAS done. It was witnessed by the match controller who notified the security staff. They entered the dressing room at half time and warned him that it was inciting behaviour. Whether it gets reported to the FA is another matter.

Well said mate. The numpties before this post court double standards.

Guest The Codfather 0312

But if Johnson or Millen would have done it to there fans then it would be a different story.

These people are professionals and should know that they are going to get some abuse off of fans and they shouldn't react to it.

Anyway, We won the game so why all this negativity like we lost the game.

Guest johnson red

Something WAS done. It was witnessed by the match controller who notified the security staff. They entered the dressing room at half time and warned him that it was inciting behaviour. Whether it gets reported to the FA is another matter.

alright Kingpin youre not supposed to be sticking up for the opposition !

Disagree. Bruce, if he did gesture to the crowd in that way, is out of order and the fans should take no blame for the incident.

Bruce is the one being paid money to play football and that's what he should be concentrating on. The fans pay money to get behind their team and are also well within their rights to get on the opposition players and fans in order to put them off.

Bruce was weak to react in this way and I see no reason why he shouldn't be in line for punishment.

But if Johnson or Millen would have done it to there fans then it would be a different story.

These people are professionals and should know that they are going to get some abuse off of fans and they shouldn't react to it.

Anyway, We won the game so why all this negativity like we lost the game.

Sorry mate, but you are incorrect. Players do get stick that is inappropriate to say the least at times. However, they are professional players, entertaining the supporters who have paid for the privillage. They need to be able to control their temper and never retaliate.

I was apalled by his reaction, and relieved to hear that his behaviour had been reported to the ref.

How can you blame the fans reaction when Bruce did this after trying to elbow Stewart and then faking an injury

I'm sorry, but where in the league rules does it say that the opposition have to put up with the sort of obscene abuse that they receive from mindless idiots who call themselves fans?

This sort of behaviour is absolutely no different to something else they are trying to eliminate from the professional game - racism.

Just because you've paid money to watch them play doesn't mean you own them and that they are a lower lifeform than you are.

They're human beings with families and I think that, in general, they restrain themselves extremely well in the face of such provocation and personal abuse.

If they make a serious error on the pitch, by all means jeer and boo, but let the officials deal with it. Not even dogs deserve the sort of abuse some players receive. It's absolutely disgusting.

I'm sorry, but where in the league rules does it say that the opposition have to put up with the sort of obscene abuse that they receive from mindless idiots who call themselves fans?

This sort of behaviour is absolutely no different to something else they are trying to eliminate from the professional game - racism.

Just because you've paid money to watch them play doesn't mean you own them and that they are a lower lifeform than you are.

They're human beings with families and I think that, in general, they restrain themselves extremely well in the face of such provocation and personal abuse.

If they make a serious error on the pitch, by all means jeer and boo, but let the officials deal with it. Not even dogs deserve the sort of abuse some players receive. It's absolutely disgusting.

Agree

A bit like the fans reaction to the SW player who kicked the ball out and hit the poor fan leaving the ground early right in the face. ANybody thought he had committed murder

I recall one Eric Cantona receiving something of a ban for reacting to crowd provocation once.

Surely the same 8 month term on the sidelines should apply here? Its only a relief he was not able to aim a solid kick in the direction of one of our beloved peace loving fans, largely on the basis he had missed most everything else over the course of the afternoon.....

I recall one Eric Cantona receiving something of a ban for reacting to crowd provocation once.

Surely the same 8 month term on the sidelines should apply here? Its only a relief he was not able to aim a solid kick in the direction of one of our beloved peace loving fans, largely on the basis he had missed most everything else over the course of the afternoon.....

Cantona kicked someone in the face! Not really the same is it? I felt ashamed by our fans that ran towards him too. Pathetic. I didn't see this bloke do anything but it's nowhere near serious even if he did gesture!

Cantona kicked someone in the face! Not really the same is it? I felt ashamed by our fans that ran towards him too. Pathetic. I didn't see this bloke do anything but it's nowhere near serious even if he did gesture!

If only you could see how deadly serious I am....

Neeee naaawww...here comes the PC brigade - why don't you go and watch bowls or something if you think you're above swearing? As long as supporters weren't hurling missiles at the player then who cares what they were saying?? I hope they were doing everything they could to wind him up and hopefully put him off his game. It's an unwritten rule that football fans are allowed to do this, and long may it continue!

Moron. So, if I called said Tranmere player a w###er you think that is 'absolutely no different' to racism? If you think that then I'd suggest you struggling quite severely to differentiate between the two.

Who said anything about lower lifeform? People take the pish out of each other on a daily basis in all walks of life. I turn up at Ashton Gate to SUPPORT City. If I think that abusing opposition players helps City's cause then I'll carry on doing it thanks.

Ahhhh, poor little footballers. They get called names because of their irresponsible actions on the pitch. If you want to get moral then why don't we talk about dirty tackles, foul mouthed abuse, spitting, fighting, sexual assualt, taking cocaine, match fixing and god knows what else footballers get up to these days. A bit of swearing is pretty tame to most of them isn't it?

Long may it continue would be my response to that.

I have been very interested by the range of responses to this topic!

I would just like to point out a few things to those of you complaining at our fans with that incident:

1. I, along with many others, was having a go at the referee, not Bruce, when he made that **nker sign, and at that point, and that point only, did i start giving him a torrent of abuse

2. Alex Bruce has a reputation as being one of the dirtiest and most arrogant little ######*ts in the league, therefore if our fans want to wind him up to get a reaction, just as players often do on the pitch, and he hasnt got the professionalism to ignore it, it serves the idiot right!!

3. Becuase i am very passionate for Bristol City, sometimes i cant control myself when a player does something like that, and i am not bothered by those of you who can just ignore it, but i cant.

4. If the referee wasnt such a complete P*ssy in the first place and actually booked him, none of this would have even happened.

I think that clears up those of you having a go at the supporters, for Alex Bruce gesturing to the crowd, unbelievable. Go and sit in the away end why don't you, if you think our supporters are such idiots!!

I think that clears up those of you having a go at the supporters, for Alex Bruce gesturing to the crowd, unbelievable. Go and sit in the away end why don't you if you like them so much!!

Some of us on here are not having a go at the supporters for Alex Bruce gesturng to the crowd. What I want to know is why some people felt it neccesary for them to run 50 yards out of their seat and confront him. That really is worrying. I didn't see Bruce do anthing but even if he did, it doesn't really require a load of fans to get out of their seats and run down to the player. I found myself laughing at those who did it- it was just pointless and pathetic. No wonder this club has a bad reputation with regard to its fans and trouble.

Well i can understand that Alex, and i wasnt one of those to run down, but, it was Alex Bruce that incited those fans, and he is not allowed to do that in the laws of the game.

I don't blame those fans for running down there, it doesnt really bother me, but some fans are going to do that, rightly or wrongly, if a player incites them.

That was all down to him, and those fans reaction may have been embarresing to you, fair enough, but it was ALL due to alex bruce inciting them.

Well i can understand that Alex, and i wasnt one of those to run down, but, it was Alex Bruce that incited those fans, and he is not allowed to do that in the laws of the game.

I don't blame those fans for running down there, it doesnt really bother me, but some fans are going to do that, rightly or wrongly, if a player incites them.

That was all down to him, and those fans reaction may have been embarresing to you, fair enough, but it was ALL due to alex bruce inciting them.

I didn't see anything on the Bruce inciting incident so I can't comment on that. All I'm interested in was how our fans condcuted themselves, and it was poorly in some respects. It must be sad when you're more intersted in running to shout at the opposition than to watch the game, which was in progress by the time Bruce was off the pitch.

Neeee naaawww...here comes the PC brigade - why don't you go and watch bowls or something if you think you're above swearing? As long as supporters weren't hurling missiles at the player then who cares what they were saying?? I hope they were doing everything they could to wind him up and hopefully put him off his game. It's an unwritten rule that football fans are allowed to do this, and long may it continue!

If you read my post, I wasn't complaining so much about the swearing, I was raising an issue about those fans who think it's clever to jump up out of their seats, run 20 yards down to the front of the stand then proceed to hurl abuse and obscene gestures at opposing players who have made a bad tackle or retaliated to abuse already being received.

If the act of jumping up and running aggressively to the front of the stand is not incitement to violence or public disturbance, I don't know what is.

Moron. So, if I called said Tranmere player a w###er you think that is 'absolutely no different' to racism? If you think that then I'd suggest you struggling quite severely to differentiate between the two.

Hmmm... moron? That's an interesting choice of words coming from someone who feels that it's ok to incite violence by launching tirades of abusive language and obscene gestures at the edge of the stand in the face of an opposing player - who's supposed to accept it all.

You must really miss the 80's when the nasty authorities cleaned up football and made a valiant attempt to stamp out the thuggery and violence that was blighting football.

Racism? Judge for yourself - Racism is discrimination and/or abuse of someone purely because of their beliefs, nationality or skin colour. You advocate the abuse of footballers purely because they wear a different coloured shirt and play for a different team. See the similarity?

Who said anything about lower lifeform? People take the pish out of each other on a daily basis in all walks of life. I turn up at Ashton Gate to SUPPORT City. If I think that abusing opposition players helps City's cause then I'll carry on doing it thanks.

The fact that you think it's ok to get in the faces of, and abuse, the opposition implies that you think you are better than they are. We all go to the game to support city. Some do it in a peaceful and non-threatening way, other's don't. It seems you fall into the latter group.

Ahhhh, poor little footballers. They get called names because of their irresponsible actions on the pitch. If you want to get moral then why don't we talk about dirty tackles, foul mouthed abuse, spitting, fighting, sexual assualt, taking cocaine, match fixing and god knows what else footballers get up to these days. A bit of swearing is pretty tame to most of them isn't it?

Long may it continue would be my response to that.

I was merely emphasising that they are human beings that deserve the respect of other human beings.

Players that step out of line, both on and off the pitch are dealt with by the FA or the authorities, whatever the case may be, and is totally irrelevant to the incident that occurred on Saturday.

Again, I reiterate - If you feel that jumping out of one's seat, running 20 yards down to the front of the stand and gesturing and shouting expletives at an opposition player is ok, why don't you ask Steve Lansdown's opinion, or the police's opinion, or any sane, peaceful, law-abiding spectator come to that?

Archived