IGNORED

What Happened To The "best Squad In The League?"

Robbored

At the start of the season many City fans were saying on here, on the radio and in the local press that City Tinnion had assembled " the best squad in the league"

These opinions were based on 7 new additions including the prodigal son and Michael Bridges.The much needed "dominant" center half was also signed.The dissenters had also been moved out and everything was looking rosy in the garden.

I listened with interest to Ali Durden on friday night and no less than three City fans called in saying that the current City squad just isn't good enough.We've read similar views on this forum as well.Remarkedly these "U" turn in some peoples opinions come after just 12 or 13 games into the season.

It convinces me that some City "fans" just love to feel bitter and hard done by thier team regardless of what going on at the club.They just can't help complaining about something to do with BCFC.

When things improve on the pitch they barely post or phone in and the silence is refreshingly deafening.

My view at the start of the season is the same as it is now.City have a good squad but I haven't seen all the other clubs squads so don't feel qualified to say that City's is the best.I believe that City need more pace in defence and more solidity in midfield.I think City have top quality strikers in Brooker,Stewart and Bridges who will,given the service score loads of goals.

I still think that City can reach the play-offs at least and automatic is still within reach.

At the start of the season many City fans were saying on here, on the radio and in the local press that City Tinnion had assembled " the best squad in the league"

You could well be right - But some were also not convinced that the players were any better than the ones we had - the biggest point being made was that BT had little excuses from here on in - as he had assembled HIS team. I think the talking up of the squad came from within the club itself.

These opinions were based on 7 new additions including the prodigal son and Michael Bridges.The much needed "dominant" center half was also signed.The dissenters had also been moved out and everything was looking rosy in the garden.

Yes,there were many like yourself, who were excited with the way BT was bringing in HIS players. And at the same time applauding BT for getting rid of players that were so called 'dissenters' ? All of these players headed for a higher league & maybe they knew how poor the manager really was.

I listened with interest to Ali Durden on friday night and no less than three City fans called in saying that the current City squad just isn't good enough.We've read similar views on this forum as well.Remarkedly these "U" turn in some peoples opinions come after just 12 or 13 games into the season.

Assumption here RR. Do you know that these 3 fans had said that the squad were good enough? How do you know that they weren't the fans that had showed concerns in the players BT had brought in? As I said, not every fan had invested in the 'rose tinted specs'. You know what assumptions do ?

It convinces me that some City "fans" just love to feel bitter and hard done by thier team regardless of what going on at the club.They just can't help complaining about something to do with BCFC.

What a total load of poo stirring B011ox. You being the supperfan will topple off that pedistal if your not careful. Some fans show concerns that the squad may not be good enough & you accuse them of being 'bitter' & 'hard done' by. I think in this very post, you are saying that certain adjustments need to be made. Pot & kettle !!!

When things improve on the pitch they barely post or phone in and the silence is refreshingly deafening.

Enlighten us further. Would love you to expand on this comment - First you moan about the people who have an opinion, then you complain when people don't contribute ? Its a great feel to have a manager who has ignited the club, both on & off the field. And many fans I am sure are enjoying the recovery, after 15 months of gloom. Then we have 'superfan' giving it verbals about his fellow supporters - dammed if you do & dammed if you don't.

My view at the start of the season is the same as it is now.City have a good squad but I haven't seen all the other clubs squads so don't feel qualified to say that City's is the best.I believe that City need more pace in defence and more solidity in midfield.I think City have top quality strikers in Brooker,Stewart and Bridges who will,given the service score loads of goals.

So your basically saying, the squad isn't quite as strong as it should be ? You are agreeing with the 3 callers who rang into the 'Alan from Backwell' show? Or have you made a well rehearsed 'u turn' ?

I still think that City can reach the play-offs at least and automatic is still within reach.

Would this be the opinion if BT was still at the helm ? Or did you do a u turn when GJ came in. ?

Totally agree - this squad has the potential to get promoted, I would go as far as to say even now that automatic promotion is just about acheiveble although with a dose of luck and a decent unbeaten run. Play offs are the most realistic prospect.

What gets me is that even after a win on Saturday there were people walking out of the ground saying we needed new players ! Can't people get it into their heads that unless you are Chelsea you aren't going to win every game 28 nil, playing attractive football and have the title as good as in the bag by christmas. I really don't understand the mentality of some City fans at all

:dunno:

Totally agree - this squad has the potential to get promoted, I would go as far as to say even now that automatic promotion is just about acheiveble although with a dose of luck and a decent unbeaten run. Play offs are the most realistic prospect.

What gets me is that even after a win on Saturday there were people walking out of the ground saying we needed new players ! Can't people get it into their heads that unless you are Chelsea you aren't going to win every game 28 nil, playing attractive football and have the title as good as in the bag by christmas. I really don't understand the mentality of some City fans at all

:dunno:

totally agree. i have posted more than a few times on the forum that in this league i, for one, will forsake good quality football if it means promotion. we are all sick and tired of being labelled favourites or thereabouts only to fail by the narrowest of margins. GJ has my full support which BT never did from day one. he was the wrong choice. the gaffer knew probably 2-3 games in which of the players he wanted to ship out but of course he will keep those future decisions close to his chest and rightly so. we were leaking goals a plenty and now he seems to have shored that department up which has to be aim number one. now he can settle for looking further forward where perhaps not much needs to change at all except we have to have pace so sorely missed following Lita's departure. But if the debacle down at the waterfront is anything to go by my feelings are that the board had some idea of what would appear to have been an unsettling influence. onwards and upwards. if we reach the play offs which i think we will i have every faith this time, with the nous of GJ, we will win the final.

I felt in August we had strengthened the squad with the players BT brought in now in October I still feel the same. This league is still wide open and waiting for a team to dominate it, and I think we have the squad capable of doing this under GJ's leadership. As for being the best squad in the division, who knows I for one won't say we are. As far as changes in the January window I'm sure Gary will look to strengthen the side as any quality manager would do ( odds on how much Chelsea will spend in the sales?????) we do need an injection of pace in the side with the quality to deliver the end goods and Gary Johnson will have had enough time to see what needs changing. The one thing I do know for sure is I'm more optomistic now than I was 6 weeks ago and in a football supprters book that has to be a good thing

If you read my "Just back from the Gate" thread from yesterday you'll see that I applauded Phillips for the impressive save he pulled off from Greenacre.It was indeed a very good piece of shot stopping which we all know Phillips is very good at.

Doesn't mean the rest of his game is upto scratch though...

As for Carey.I can only remember seeing him punt up field on one occaision but the ever reliable Madger says I missed several hoofs from "Sir Chipalot" :rofl2br:

I would argue that we have a good squad, but similar to you Robbored, having a lack of indepth knowledge of every other team out there, I can't comment too much as to whether it is the strongest.

I would say that some of Johnson's loan signings tell a story - that he perceives us as not strong enough in defence (or at least that we lack depth). Lets see how else he moves when the transfer window opens/with any futher loan signings that we make.

Come the end of the season we will see just how strong this squad is - in terms of ability and spirit. I'm hopeful for the play-offs in the very least though.

Well said, Friday nite's "Twentystone talks crap" show is 97% doom and gloom, City fans do seem bitter thats for sure, and I think they must watch the match at the gate, and think who's playing the worst, who can I slag off now. I find it amazing to listen to the moans even when a player gets tackled!

The club looks like its on the way up now, so lets chill out and get behind the lads. :city:

I would like to point out that in no way was this post designed to implicate City fan although or some reason Richieb seems to think that it was aimed personally at him.

Not so Richie.... I happen to know that you are a very true and loyal fan.Whilst I don't always agree with your opinions,I would never take a "dig" at you on this forum.You know that I keep my "digs" to private conversations that we may have.

I would ask though, why you reacted so strongly to my original post.

I would like to point out that in no way was this post designed to implicate City fan although or some reason Richieb seems to think that it was aimed personally at him.

Looks like a covering the a$$ post this one. My reply made NO reference to believing that it was aimed at me ? And I have no idea why you think it may have been. I was purely responding to the content of your thread. And doing it as a forum user exercising my freedom of speech.

I am purely pointing out some of the 'oddities' within your comments & highlighting your continued plurge against anyone who has a view to express.

The post was full of assumptions

Not so Richie.... I happen to know that you are a very true and loyal fan.Whilst I don't always agree with your opinions,I would never take a "dig" at you on this forum.You know that I keep my "digs" to private conversations that we may have.

I'll take the true & loyal fan bit - thank you. But as detailed above, I didn't see this as a dig - not one little bit. In fact far from it. But I did see it as another attempt to drive that 'superfan' tag firmly to the RR mast.

Yes, I know that some fans say some very frustrating things & l gave up on 20p talks some time ago, as it's the same fans week in week out. Welcome to their views.

But you continue to believe that some fans shouldn't have a view that differs from yours. And then go on to promote the same thing that you were arguing against.

So please don't worry, I in no way saw it as a dig at me. Just more of a general pop at other fans who have an opinion that differs from yours ( or does it ! )

I would ask though, why you reacted so strongly to my original post.

As detailed above - don't see it as a strong reaction, just an honest response.

If the post had just focused on the 'strong squad' bit, then I am sure my views would have been so 'strong' - but again if it's not the under 12's - its the fans whose views differ that get your wrath.

And just when you critise others for saying the squad isn't strong enough, you finish of with comments that support their views.

If you had gone on 20pence & said that City need a quick centre half & solid midfielder, wouldn't you be put in the same 'fan' class as those 3 you dammed?

Doesn't mean the rest of his game is upto scratch though...

... interesting to hear Alan Hansen* pooh-poohing Bryan Robson's idea that Kirkland should have come off his line at one stage during the WBA v Arsenal encounter ... no doubt the Hawthorns version of your good self would be in full spate rubbishing Kirkland at every opportunity due to the same outmoded thinking.

Interesting too that Toshack was at the game on Saturday as he would know that Phillips has Welsh grandparents ...

* No doubt you feel Hansen doesn't qualify as an expert on defending

anymore than Bob Wilson does on goalkeeping!

I think we've hot a decent squad, and we've bought some quality players over the summer. I said so at the start of the season and I see no reason to change my mind.

The simple fact is that our previous manager was failing to get the best out of those players.

But, show me the team with a better squad than ours. There isnt a money-bags team like Fulham or Wigan this year and I don't think there is anything special about the squads of players at Huddersfield, Southend or Swansea. They've just been managed better.

Well said, Friday nite's "Twentystone talks crap" show is 97% doom and gloom, City fans do seem bitter thats for sure, and I think they must watch the match at the gate, and think who's playing the worst, who can I slag off now. I find it amazing to listen to the moans even when a player gets tackled!

The club looks like its on the way up now, so lets chill out and get behind the lads. :city:

agree with you on twentydribble a new man is required to front this sports programme

People that were saying we had 'THE best squad in the division' were probably just getting carried away in fairness after the signings of particularly Bridges and Stewart.

I honestly don't think anyone knows this league well enough to make a pin-point judgement of how good City's squad is in comparison to others. However, I'd confidently say that our squad is in the top 4 in terms of strength.

The 3 others our squad competes with in my opinion are probably Huddersfield (who I predicted for automatic promotion at the start of the season), Forest and Swansea.

Now we've got rid of Tinnion and have a very competant manager in place I THINK we will finish in a play-off place. Automatic will surely be a stretch too far even at this early stage.

That said, my expectations for Johnson in his first season is to guide us to a top half finish. We truely were up #### creek before he arrived, and I can really only judge him on keeping a respectable league position this term...

But as I said, still THINK we'll be up there come May!

And no matter what goes onn within the club; whether we're 1st or 11th; whether we have an inept manager or a man who clearly has nous in charge, whether we score goals or not; whether our goalkepper is up to scratch or not; Robbored the superfan will always be there ready and willing to tell anybody who will listen how to support their club, and that he is always, always right.

At no point did I say that City had the "best squad in the division".Not before the start of the season nor since.

My point is that some fans are hell bent on slating all things City.No matter whats is going on at the club.Three wins from four is pretty good and the one loss was a miscarriage of justice in footballing terms but still "fans" complain.

On Talk Sport this morning they were saying how fickle Spurs fan are.Since they got to second in the Premiership they all reckon that the Arsenal's days are numbered and it Champions League here we come.Those same fans were calling for Johl's head just 6 weeks ago....the same principle applies to some City fans.

some of the people on twentypences phone in made me embarrased to be associated with them as supporters (or so called) of this club. people saying we are going down, etc, etc obviously have no clue about football. we might be a long way off being a top side again, but the magic man has us moving up so why not keep their mouths shut and enjoy the progress.

i also laughed at the pathetic attempt of the yeovil fan from radstock who claimed to be a city fan and then ran down johnson saying that city would of been better off getting steve thompson a he was clearly the person responsible for yeovils success - oh dear. thats even worse than the rovurz spies on this forum. jealousy eh, does funny things to people.

:rofl2br:

I think we DO have the best squad in the division ( or at least 1 of them ), we were missing 7 players on Saturday and at least 4 of them 1st team starters ( Heywood,Orr,Parto,S.Brown,Russell,Gilly and Goldbourne ) and we still beat one of the pre-season favs for this division. Having the "best squad" means winning when you're missing some key players, which we did. IMO there can't be many squads that can miss so many and still get results, can there?

Archived