IGNORED

Bristol Rovers Planning Application

City Rocker

As a very near neighbour of the memorial ground, I'm privileged to occasionally receive these kind of 'matey' notes pushed through the door from Bristol Rovers, telling me how much they love me and would very much like to have my babies....oh, and would it be alright if they built a new stand, by the way?

Well needless to say I object strongly on environmental grounds to any expansion of their stadium and feel that it would be in the best interests of the local community if the ground were demolished to make way for new housing. Or a pub. Or an Indian takeaway or Pizza Hut. Something like that. Something cultural.

Imagine my distain then, when today they tell me that they're about to submit plans for: "the total redevelopment of the stadium which will provide modern facilities befitting the city of Bristol (note the use of lower case 'c' in city, I think this is a deliberate pop at the huge number of BCFC fans in their immediate locale!), a Premiership Rugby team and a Football League Club."

Point being they're proposing a complete rebuild of their ground. Now admittedly they don't claim to have the funding (and indeed they don't yet have Planning Permission) but this has got me thinking: we are proposing the rebuild of one stand at a vast cost, but apparently can't get the funding...meanwhile the little local team down the road are looking at demolishing the rugby ground and building a proper stadium!!

From memory, our new East End stand is meant to cost about 7milliion and apparenty they can't 'fill in the corners' as this would double the cost. I think Colin S said something to that effect. Yet Rovers' rebuild of their Blackthorn end is reputed to come in at 4mil or something, and one of the corners is filled in for that...maybe they're getting 'mates rates' from Cowlin, I dunno.

So I guess my question is this: are Bristol Rovers destined to overtake us due to their affilliation with some ridiculously cheap builders? (no names...)

The whole situation seems ludicrous to me. I wonder if anyone at BCFC can clarify why we're being asked to pay double what Rovers are being charged for a similar job?

Guest The Codfather 0312

Baffles me to. Let them build A crappy little non-league ground there so then after that we can go it alone building a new stadium fit for the premiership.

Baffles me to. Let them build A crappy little non-league ground there so then after that we can go it alone building a new stadium fit for the premiership.

In an ideal world a ground for both teams, as well as Bristol rugby would be built in the centre of Bristol somewhere, for example near Temple Meads. Obviously this would never happen due to a lack of transport infrastructure, cost, merger fears etc. In our current form neither club can realistically hope to grace the Premiership, but Bristol city council will never ever provide the funds for a 30-40 thousand multi purpose stadium. Fair play to Rovers for showing some ambition, hopefully we can get our act together to improve our ground too.

Guest The Codfather 0312

Where will they play when doing all this Twerton? :rofl2br:

Or is it going to be like phase one two three and four?

Are they still going to turn the whole pitch round like was said previously?

Guest DrFaustus

You're not the brightest bunny are you?

Friendly rivalry is to be applauded; we always want to do better than Rovers but your post illustrates in part what is wrong with west country football or, at least, Bristol football. You simply don't get it. Sorry to say.

This hyped up animosity is ridiculous and affects both clubs negatively. If Rovers are planning a rebuild they should be applauded for their ambition. Notwithstanding the concerns of local residents which are of course Rovers, City or non footies so to suggest they are doing it to spite the red fans is really not worth commenting on further.

it is absolutely a very healthy situation if both Bristol clubs are doing well especially if we were in the same division i.e. gate receipts and an impetus for each club to be above the other. I, for one, really miss those derbies but i also miss the friendly banter between each set of fans and It made for a far more interesting, animated and intellectually stiumulating afternoon with both sets of fans mingling. Sadly, in the vast majority of local derbies across the country this is in a distant memory no thanks to, and with all due respect, rants like yours.

I hope for your own personal sake that, in the event the development goes ahead, you will be compensated for any loss of privacy or devaluation of your property because by Rovers meeting the needs of the local community like you makes for more successful sport in general for the city of Bristol, that will benefit Bristol City and all who participate in encouraging a higher profile so desperately needed for our great city.

As far as costs of construction are concerned; well its like buying a car to use a simple analogy. Maybe City are building a stand befitting of a top of the line Jaguar whereas Rovers are content to build a stadium like a Ford Mondeo. The fitting out of the structure in any event could be executed with literally thousands of permutations. Bear in mind our club are planning VIP boxes which per sq ft of space will cost significantly more to build.

Flippin 'eck Havanatopia, that told me! And I thought I was simply responding to an important environmental issue effecting myself, my household and many hundreds of ordinary folk in our neighbourhood.

Still, if you think it's best that the mighty Bristol Rovers ride roughshod over the quality-of-life of their neighbours then fair play. After all, you don't have to live here mate! How's Fidel by the way?

I think the difference between the two is that we're building (alledgedly) a 5,200 seat stand with conference facilities underneath it, and I guess they're building a smaller stand without.

What's the proposed capacity after they're done? Anyone kow?

Nibor

Edit:

Hmm actually just had a look and theirs is going to be a 5,500 stand... so why is it cheaper? Unless they're not counting grant money in the cost?

Guest DrFaustus

I think the difference between the two is that we're building (alledgedly) a 5,200 seat stand with conference facilities underneath it, and I guess they're building a smaller stand without.

What's the proposed capacity after they're done? Anyone kow?

Nibor

Edit:

Hmm actually just had a look and theirs is going to be a 5,500 stand... so why is it cheaper? Unless they're not counting grant money in the cost?

According to the latest pie in the shy wheeze plans under consideration, the stadium will be self-financing due to the inclusion of 500 rabbit hutches apartments for key workers.

The marines have been told, hell is currently freezing over and some gliding bacon has just gone by.

Guest weltongas

As a very near neighbour of the memorial ground, I'm privileged to occasionally receive these kind of 'matey' notes pushed through the door from Bristol Rovers, telling me how much they love me and would very much like to have my babies....oh, and would it be alright if they built a new stand, by the way?

Well needless to say I object strongly on environmental grounds to any expansion of their stadium and feel that it would be in the best interests of the local community if the ground were demolished to make way for new housing. Or a pub. Or an Indian takeaway or Pizza Hut. Something like that. Something cultural.

Imagine my distain then, when today they tell me that they're about to submit plans for: "the total redevelopment of the stadium which will provide modern facilities befitting the city of Bristol (note the use of lower case 'c' in city, I think this is a deliberate pop at the huge number of BCFC fans in their immediate locale!), a Premiership Rugby team and a Football League Club."

Point being they're proposing a complete rebuild of their ground. Now admittedly they don't claim to have the funding (and indeed they don't yet have Planning Permission) but this has got me thinking: we are proposing the rebuild of one stand at a vast cost, but apparently can't get the funding...meanwhile the little local team down the road are looking at demolishing the rugby ground and building a proper stadium!!

From memory, our new East End stand is meant to cost about 7milliion and apparenty they can't 'fill in the corners' as this would double the cost. I think Colin S said something to that effect. Yet Rovers' rebuild of their Blackthorn end is reputed to come in at 4mil or something, and one of the corners is filled in for that...maybe they're getting 'mates rates' from Cowlin, I dunno.

So I guess my question is this: are Bristol Rovers destined to overtake us due to their affilliation with some ridiculously cheap builders? (no names...)

The whole situation seems ludicrous to me. I wonder if anyone at BCFC can clarify why we're being asked to pay double what Rovers are being charged for a similar job?

In an ideal world a ground for both teams, as well as Bristol rugby would be built in the centre of Bristol somewhere, for example near Temple Meads. Obviously this would never happen due to a lack of transport infrastructure, cost, merger fears etc. In our current form neither club can realistically hope to grace the Premiership, but Bristol city council will never ever provide the funds for a 30-40 thousand multi purpose stadium. Fair play to Rovers for showing some ambition, hopefully we can get our act together to improve our ground too.

[ reads 3 times and rubs eyes]

spot on post , shared ground is whats needed or i fear another 100 years of lower level crap

On Tv today the plans were shown with student accomadation forming a large block in one corner (?). Do the students have to vaccate the building on Saturday afternoons so their rooms can be used as corporate boxes? :w00t:

On Tv today the plans were shown with student accomadation forming a large block in one corner (?). Do the students have to vaccate the building on Saturday afternoons so their rooms can be used as corporate boxes? :w00t:

The TV report also quoted 16million to rebuild the ground, not the 3 million qouted earlier in the thread.

The plans are also for the memorial ground to have a capacity of 18,000 on completion, lower than Ashton Gate is at present. More ambitious than us? I don't think so, just ambitious to be higher than they are now maybe.

Give me a continued struggle on our own over a Premier League existence in a shared groud any day of the week

I can't agree with that. As a youngster I don't have much grasp on our history, I'm more concerned with getting my local club to fulfil its potential in anyway possible. Bristol should have a Premier league club, and its not going to happen by us staying at Ashton Gate, unless capacity can be greatly improved. I.e. Over 30,000, not just a new stand that barely adds on 1000 to the capacity

I can't agree with that. As a youngster I don't have much grasp on our history, I'm more concerned with getting my local club to fulfil its potential in anyway possible. Bristol should have a Premier league club, and its not going to happen by us staying at Ashton Gate, unless capacity can be greatly improved. I.e. Over 30,000, not just a new stand that barely adds on 1000 to the capacity

The new stand that is planned is only going to be the first stage in redeveloping Ashton Gate, the rest will follow when the time is right. Capacity would then be an absolute bare minimum of 25,000, probably closer to 30. Boltons Rebok Stadium holds 25,000 so we would then have enough to sustain Premier League football should we get there.

More importantly, we would be sustaining top level football on our own terms without having sold the soul of the club lock, stock and barrel in a desperate attempt to make it happen that little bit quicker.

A Football Club should be about more than just the level of the pyramid it is currently in.

The new stand that is planned is only going to be the first stage in redeveloping Ashton Gate, the rest will follow when the time is right. Capacity would then be an absolute bare minimum of 25,000, probably closer to 30. Boltons Rebok Stadium holds 25,000 so we would then have enough to sustain Premier League football should we get there.

More importantly, we would be sustaining top level football on our own terms without having sold the soul of the club lock, stock and barrel in a desperate attempt to make it happen that little bit quicker.

A Football Club should be about more than just the level of the pyramid it is currently in.

I still like to think that if we were a Prem club we'd have the support to fill more than 30,000. Good point about Bolton, but I just don't like the idea of having to constantly pay out 5/10 million to improve the ground when it's needed.

Flippin 'eck Havanatopia, that told me! And I thought I was simply responding to an important environmental issue effecting myself, my household and many hundreds of ordinary folk in our neighbourhood.

Still, if you think it's best that the mighty Bristol Rovers ride roughshod over the quality-of-life of their neighbours then fair play. After all, you don't have to live here mate! How's Fidel by the way?

I guess it was the way you put it. the issues you again mention here of course have to be addressed and i noted that but your somewhat critical analysis seemed to want to put Rovers 'down' at any cost and i was saying that is not in the spirit of football, not to the benefit of anybody including our beloved team nor the city of Bristol. This student accommodation seems to be a way to appease the planners in an admirable way but it is also you they need to affect possitively as well of course. Clearly that will be a challenge!!

Fidel is doing fine by all accounts. Not much by way of raw football talent here although they do like to tackle hard as my shins attest! Hurricane Wilma bearing down now although thankfully i am in UK for a spell. Hope my city memorabilia stays put and does not float off to the Florida keys!! :blush:

I really wouldn't fancy living in a football stadium. Wouldn't it be really annoying having thousands of people hanging around your front door every Saturday. What about when Great Aunty Irene comes around on a saturday aftrernoon for scones and tea? It's an intriguing idea, but I just can't imagine many people wanting to live there.

Guest The Codfather 0312

Just saw the plans on the bbc. No ambition the design at all. From the outside it will all look like blocks of flats. Another thing I noticed was that in all the new stands they had seats in the top tiers but the bootem all around the stadium would be terrecing. I thought you wasn't allowed to build terraced stands anymore?

I really wouldn't fancy living in a football stadium. Wouldn't it be really annoying having thousands of people hanging around your front door every Saturday. What about when Great Aunty Irene comes around on a saturday aftrernoon for scones and tea? It's an intriguing idea, but I just can't imagine many people wanting to live there.

But the other side of that is it would be really quiet almost every other day of the week Remember you could watch the rugby too, Save £££ on season tickets for both sports!!!

AND the flat would come with one heck of a communial garden, great for BBQ's and parties!!!

Actually it's especially quiet on match days! But don't tell the City Planners I said so :whistle:

arghhh haaaaaaaaaa, cover blown!!! they just told me they have your house marked down for special attention. what that means who knows - either they are going to build you a nice extension to keep you quiet or demolish it and re-house you in Hartcliffe. its all up for grabs at the mo.

The attyeo stand at the gate had to be reduced in hight and capacity because of it's close proximity to the houses behind (they require 20 degrees angle of light from the lowest window to the top of the structure) I think this could be a problem for them, looking at the pretty pictures they are very close to houses in Downend Rd, not to mention the increased traffic everyday from another 100 dwellings onto Filton have.

Guest The Codfather 0312
The attyeo stand at the gate had to be reduced in hight and capacity because of it's close proximity to the houses behind (they require 20 degrees angle of light from the lowest window to the top of the structure) I think this could be a problem for them, looking at the pretty pictures they are very close to houses in Downend Rd, not to mention the increased traffic everyday from another 100 dwellings onto Filton have.

Thats why we should move to a new stadium in the middle of knowhere where we can disturb anyone.

Good post cidercity, couldnt really put it better!!!

Archived