IGNORED

Time For Gilly

fRed

I've been watching the reserves quite a lot for the last few years. The two forwards who have impressed me most were Lita and Gillespie. Gilly needs a run in this side, Stewart and Bridges need to be loaned out, they are good footballers who do not fit into League One football. GJ needs to cut Steve L's loses and look to the talent that's already within this club.

Guest ballboy_1

Agreed i mean he did well for cheltnham and i suppose when he came from liverpool reserves i bet he didnt think hed move to city reserves!!!give him a chance ...he has pace unlike stewart!!! :city::city::city:

i can understand what your saying but HE NEEDS A GOOD RUN IN THE SIDE just like stewart then we can really tell!!!!! :city::city::city:

We need someone who can score on his chances. Gilly has not proven he can finish. In fact he apperas to be another disaappointment , sadly :dunno:

We need someone who can score on his chances. Gilly has not proven he can finish. In fact he apperas to be another disaappointment , sadly :dunno:

Scored at Forest, how many other chances has he had up front? :dunno: Almost none.

He's a goalscorer with pedigree who has scored prolifically at all levels of his career.

Liverpool fans did not want him to go.

He's NEVER had an extended chance up front for City, if he did he may well repay us like Lita did.

To let him go without ever giving him that extended chance would be criminal in my opinion.

So what does Gillespie bring to the team that we don't already have?

Much of what we're lacking since Leroy left, plus intelligence to bring other into the game and set up goals.

The phrasing of your question indicates you've already got a ready made negative answer lined up Robbored, take it you think Gillespie never deserved a chance here at mighty 3rd Division Bristol City after being so prolific and highly rated at Anfield? :dunno:

Lets hear it then.

People keep on going on about this 'pace' he has? Where is it? How many times have you seen him burst away from a defence. He isn't slow but isn't exactly as quick as Leroy. He has also missed various chances when presented, notably Colchester this season, with only one goal in return. Still, give him a go anyway.

I was surprised he hasn't been playing regularly, but he's been inured and needs to train more. I think he will feature soon.

He hasn't got pace as such but he is quick from a standing position which is ideal in beating the off side trap, something Stewart gets caught doing every game.

I'm not knocking Stewart, but I think he needs a rest.

MM

The difference between the breakthrough into the first team of Lita and Gillespie is that Lita was scoring goals and tormenting defences in even his earliest sub appearances. Gilly, aside from his one goal this season, has looked distinctly average in his brief opportunities.

So...whilst it is true that players 'need games' to really find their feet, the manager also wants to see some sort of impact. It is true that Gilly has missed chances even for the reserves this season.

It's the same with Bridges. We have seen enough of him to know that he has a little bit of class about him, and you can argue that he 'needs games' to show what he's about, but we need him to look more threating when he does get a run out.

Of course GJ knows best cos he sees them in training every day and knows their mood/personality etc.

I wonder if Elliot Benyon will have immediate impact, or if he'll be another one that can't quite make the step up.

I like Gillespie too, and hope he is given a few games in a row.

But on the main site GJ says, of Stewart and Bridges being out "Steve is still not right so the options up front are not too clever in terms of numbers. But we do have James Quinn and Guy Madjo, while Dave Cotterill also comes into consideration."

So he doesn't seem to rate Gilly, I think he's a natural footballer with a touch of class. Good to see Benyon is being given a taste though.

I've been watching the reserves quite a lot for the last few years. The two forwards who have impressed me most were Lita and Gillespie. Gilly needs a run in this side, Stewart and Bridges need to be loaned out, they are good footballers who do not fit into League One football. GJ needs to cut Steve L's loses and look to the talent that's already within this club.

The problem is that - in stark contrast to Leroy - on the occasions he has come into the first team, he's really not impressed. He's looked like a boy against men, running around but not getting into the game. I'd love him to do well, but from what I've seen I don't think his performances in the first team merit a run yet. He may have scored against Forest, but that's about all. Madjo has looked more impressive in terms of what GJ calls 'affecting the game'. He did more in the one match against Brentford than I've seen SG do up front.

But on the main site GJ says, of Stewart and Bridges being out "Steve is still not right so the options up front are not too clever in terms of numbers. But we do have James Quinn and Guy Madjo, while Dave Cotterill also comes into consideration."

I also noticed this and was very disappointed with the omission of his name.

Gillespie, young, hungry, and waitin for a FAIR chance,

Or,

Stewart, old past it, taking the peiee.

Sorry BUT Gillespie deserves the chance. He aint worse than what we got, and being young, and hungry-yep he shades it over the plodding Stewart, and erratic Bridges. Give the kid a go...........I said Lita wasnt as good as Robbo/Miller/Leapy and was proved wrong, and I reckon this kid could do the biz, with Brookerman, and Quinn partnering him.

Guest redphilc

I wonder if Elliot Benyon will have immediate impact, or if he'll be another one that can't quite make the step up.

Nothing like a bit of failure at this club!!

How about - Can't wait to see this kid Elliot Benyon in our first team, he has just scored 8 goals in his last three games at Reserve and acadmey level against premiership opposition. Sounds like he has a big future ahead of him!!!

Not having a pop but perhaps a little more optimism wouldn't go a miss rather than wondering about failure before he has had a chance........

Nothing like a bit of failure at this club!!

How about - Can't wait to see this kid Elliot Benyon in our first team, he has just scored 8 goals in his last three games at Reserve and acadmey level against premiership opposition. Sounds like he has a big future ahead of him!!!

Not having a pop but perhaps a little more optimism wouldn't go a miss rather than wondering about failure before he has had a chance........

Best of luck to Benyon if he gets his chance, 8 goals in 3 games deserves some sort of recognition.

Mind you i hope it wouldn't be instead of Gillespie if he is fit.

I saw him score 5 goals in a single reserve game and City have barely given him a chance up front in the 18 months since.

Gillespie's waited long enough and deserves his "future" to be right now.

Archived