IGNORED

Atmosphere At Ag

Sir Colby-Tit

It's no secret that the atmosphere at AG could do with some improvement. I'm sure you are as embarrassed as I am when we are out-shouted by 200 travelling fans!

As we all know the fans can certainly be the "twelfth man" when at the top of their voices (a cliche I know, but true)

I know the acoustics are part of the problem, but could more be done to encourage fans to sing up?

The club recently handed out letters to G block in the Dolman concerning standing & swearing, which got me thinking: why not hand out flyers asking fans to get behind the team a bit more?

You could even include lyrics to some of the more popular songs to encourage people to join in.

The cost would surely be low & the potential benefits enormous.

Cheers

I just posted the above on the Ask Steve forum. Anyone else got any ideas on how to improve the amosphere?

It's no secret that the atmosphere at AG could do with some improvement. I'm sure you are as embarrassed as I am when we are out-shouted by 200 travelling fans!

As we all know the fans can certainly be the "twelfth man" when at the top of their voices (a cliche I know, but true)

I know the acoustics are part of the problem, but could more be done to encourage fans to sing up?

The club recently handed out letters to G block in the Dolman concerning standing & swearing, which got me thinking: why not hand out flyers asking fans to get behind the team a bit more?

You could even include lyrics to some of the more popular songs to encourage people to join in.

Cheers

I just posted the above on the Ask Steve forum. Anyone else got any ideas on how to improve the amosphere?

Top idea :chant6ez: Could be very beneficial!

Guest ashtonyate

Top idea :chant6ez: Could be very beneficial!

The way to change the atmosphere is get a team the fans can believe in too often and mostly in big games the team does not perform they just look like Rabbits in a car head light.

The crowd sence this gets nervous and it all goes down hill.I remember years ago when we had good sides the crowd would get right behind the team that was a long time ago.

Guest North Street

Cheers

How about open the East End, Kids for a £1, "reduced" admission for games instead of increases [especially Christmas], bring a friend for half price, red and white nights, move the away fans open the East End, flag days, bands in the Red and white pre match, open the East End, encourage those who like to smoke, drink and sing that they are welcome and most importantly the club should listen to supporters instead of the present attitude being displayed to the G- Block/Subbers :pray:

The way to improve the atmosphere it to stop that patronising idiot shouting COME ON YOU REDS into his microphone at kick off in the mistaken belief that no City fan knows why he is there and what he should shout.

All it does is to make the majoritory of the fans cringe.

Guest MaloneFM

Hmmm...good question..what could improve the atmosphere? Heres one or two.

No more crap shirts, badges we didn't want, unpopular managers, unpopular signings, polo shirts that don't arrive, stands that are not being build with bricks we are not buying, no more drunken binges by underperfoming players, fobbed off answers on the forum, decent catering at the ground and not sending letters out to supporters for being a 'wee bit too loud and sweary'.

Apart from that can't think of any really.

The way to improve the atmosphere it to stop that patronising idiot shouting COME ON YOU REDS into his microphone at kick off in the mistaken belief that no City fan knows why he is there and what he should shout.

All it does is to make the majoritory of the fans cringe.

I go along with that! the mans an embarrassment. :blush:

Guest North Street

Hmmm...good question..what could improve the atmosphere? Heres one or two.

No more crap shirts, badges we didn't want, unpopular managers, unpopular signings, polo shirts that don't arrive, stands that are not being build with bricks we are not buying, no more drunken binges by underperfoming players, fobbed off answers on the forum, decent catering at the ground and not sending letters out to supporters for being a 'wee bit too loud and sweary'.

Apart from that can't think of any really.

How about inviting all those fans the club "dessip" [!] off with their letters for pre match drinks with Sexstone and his coherts in the red and white bar for a few less than pc jokes from Mr S Garnett. Oops perhaps not Mr Garnett as the club no longer like his type of humour anymore so maybe the voice of sport could take over?

Just get all the people that want to sing together so we can create a decent noise! Everyone knows that if the east end was opened then there would be a better atmosphere. Plymouth at home 2 seasons ago was electric, night game, east end full of singing fans and subsequently a great match (Peacock 1 - 0 for those who don't remember) I couldnt get a ticket for the east end as it was full so was in B Block and the noise coming from the ends of the ground was fantastic!

If you want a better atmosphere GIVE US BACK THE EAST END!!!!!!!!!!

(shame we have tried this argument many times before and it doesnt work)

:city::city::city:

Just get all the people that want to sing together so we can create a decent noise! Everyone knows that if the east end was opened then there would be a better atmosphere. Plymouth at home 2 seasons ago was electric, night game, east end full of singing fans and subsequently a great match (Peacock 1 - 0 for those who don't remember) I couldnt get a ticket for the east end as it was full so was in B Block and the noise coming from the ends of the ground was fantastic!

If you want a better atmosphere GIVE US BACK THE EAST END!!!!!!!!!!

(shame we have tried this argument many times before and it doesnt work)

In the belief you don't get what you don't ask for see; Can we please on ask S.L; still waiting the expense reply :dunno:

Guest North Street

I think i have a sure fire remedy to the vow of silence currently hanging over Ashton Gate. There are many fans who have had their fingers burnt by BCFC because they lashed out on premiums for their old Dolman seats because there was going to be reduced capacity . Now never never land has yet to rise out of the rubble of the East End and building work is not going to start before July 2006 let alone the original July 2005 :dance: So why not give the money back to those nice people who coughed up in the form of cider tokens which can be claimed in the red and white bar. Open said bar up at 11am and it would certainly improve my atmosphere. Sure the club would end up firing out letters about errant stage diving fans but hey it might be a memorable party. :city:

Cheers

TOP POST AGREED., why does the club pay some MD not to come up with such simple yet brilliant ideas. The mind boggles quite frankly. The running of the club needs work and so does that appallingly crap and enormously expensive first team shirt. It is daylight robbery and looks like a non league design. shambles.

Hereford United are non league.

Nike.

i meant lower than conference. conference south perhaps or even ryman. crikey lets go the whole way - i've seen better designed and quality school team kit. i think city should ship the lot out as charity to the poor kiddies in cuba. we need em.

No offence, I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but I don't think a flyer saying 'Sing Please' is quite enough.

As mentioned above, the noisy fans are sporadically spread across the ground. Doesn't help. And as cynical old Malone says - many fans need to be encouraged by the performance of Chairman and players before they show boundless enthusiasm.

Having said all that we do need to try harder.

Getting an atmosphere at AG is not rocket science and has nothing to do with daft little singing sections - as in the past, the chants will roll around AG when the team start playing good attacking football and start winning and all stands will join in just as they have always done.

Guest REDCIDERARMY

Simlpe I do not know why the directors keep saying no,open the Eastend it would change the seaosn around,if the directors did it from saturday we would move up he league bringing in more revenue from the attendances remember the play offs and the final more than paid for the Eastend to be opened why let such a good opportunity go waisted when we all have to pull together now to reach the play offs more to gain than loose,you can feel the players grow in confidence and stature when the whole ground sings for them and the eastend starts that off

Simlpe I do not know why the directors keep saying no,open the Eastend it would change the seaosn around,if the directors did it from saturday we would move up he league bringing in more revenue from the attendances remember the play offs and the final more than paid for the Eastend to be opened why let such a good opportunity go waisted when we all have to pull together now to reach the play offs more to gain than loose,you can feel the players grow in confidence and stature when the whole ground sings for them and the eastend starts that off

If you took a breath now and then, it might allow you time to see what you are typing

Guest North Street

Getting an atmosphere at AG is not rocket science and has nothing to do with daft little singing sections - as in the past, the chants will roll around AG when the team start playing good attacking football and start winning and all stands will join in just as they have always done.

Oh those halcyon days are long gone. In the past the chants did roll around the Gate often when the team was losing and playing badly now apart from the Subbers daft little singing section we get :dunno: The ground and times have changed and it is obvious from the continual threads on the subject that the club could make more of an effort to work with supporters to do something [anything!].

If you took a breath now and then, it might allow you time to see what you are typing

Do you do stand up Mate :chant6ez:

At least he was making so sort of point other than do nothing !

Its annoying because part of what I love about football is the passion and the singing is a huge part of that for me. I hate that whenever a chant starts and then dies out because people feel embarresed to join in in case others laugh at them. Give us the east end and then we will see a bit more passion from the fans and encourage a little more from the players!!!

• Admin

I'll agree with England on this one and so apparently does Graham Poll............

"There has been much debate over the past couple of weeks about the validity and fairness of the play-offs. Last week I refereed my first play-off match at Ashton Gate, the Second Division semi-final second leg between Bristol City and Hartlepool.

Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle.

Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final."

The introduction of all seater stadia has had an impact, along with the changed make-up of the crowd, a lot more women & kids at games than in the 70's. All that aside, Graham Poll's comments do prove that a neutral can be impressed by the Ashton Roar.

East End; bring in the home fans or bulldozers :dunno:

Because of the low roof and tin can effect more often than not a taxi load of away fans drown out the rest of the ground;and the best atmosphere undoubtably in the last few years has been when the EAST END has been open to home fans. :dunno:

No offence, I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but I don't think a flyer saying 'Sing Please' is quite enough.

As mentioned above, the noisy fans are sporadically spread across the ground. Doesn't help. And as cynical old Malone says - many fans need to be encouraged by the performance of Chairman and players before they show boundless enthusiasm.

Having said all that we do need to try harder.

No offence taken. And no I don't think a flyer with "Sing Please" is quite enough, which is why I asked if anyone else had any suggestions to put to Steve.

The point is we shouldn't just sit & moan on here that the atmosphere has gone forever & not try to do anything about it. How hard is it to sing for the team you love, especially when they're down on their luck? If everyone put as much effort into supporting the team on a saturday as they do moaning on this forum other teams would fear coming.

And it's no good saying bring the East End back, cos it aint going to happen.

No offence taken. And no I don't think a flyer with "Sing Please" is quite enough, which is why I asked if anyone else had any suggestions to put to Steve.

The point is we shouldn't just sit & moan on here that the atmosphere has gone forever & not try to do anything about it. How hard is it to sing for the team you love, especially when they're down on their luck? If everyone put as much effort into supporting the team on a saturday as they do moaning on this forum other teams would fear coming.

And it's no good saying bring the East End back, cos it aint going to happen.

NO but they could and should give at least half the new stand to those who want to sing! and not make it all season ticket. 50 50 split. same old arguments!

Cheers

Just got the reply:

Thanks for your suggestion but we would prefer to use the website and the programme notes.

Colin

Nuff said!

Archived