IGNORED

Defensive Midfielder Is The Key

darling

And has been all season. We badly need somebody of the Paul Ince/Tommy doc mould to sit aolngside a player of Wilkshires creative ability. Hopefully Johnno will get somebody to play that role in January, but in the meantime why not play Scotty Brown alongside Wilkshire to add some steel? Skuse is a tidy player but lacks strength and playing two girls in the middle of the park (Wilkshire being the other) means we will continue to be over run.

And has been all season. We badly need somebody of the Paul Ince/Tommy doc mould to sit aolngside a player of Wilkshires creative ability. Hopefully Johnno will get somebody to play that role in January, but in the meantime why not play Scotty Brown alongside Wilkshire to add some steel? Skuse is a tidy player but lacks strength and playing two girls in the middle of the park (Wilkshire being the other) means we will continue to be over run.

I agree id rather play scotty brown in the centre with lukey but until we get a decent left sided player id rather play skuse in the middle with brown out wide.

Guest harveythompson

I am probably going to get slated for saying this but it is not my opinion i have just heard it from various people. Fortune plays very well in a 'viera' sort of role.

I am probably going to get slated for saying this but it is not my opinion i have just heard it from various people. Fortune plays very well in a 'viera' sort of role.

It was a suggestion a couple of years back.

Cant ever see it happening unless were going to play 5 in midfield

GJ didn't have a defensive midfielder in all his time at Yeovil, so I doubt he will start now.

In winning league 2 last season we had one of the worst goals against record in the division. We only kept 8 clean sheets all season. This season we already have had 6, 4 since GJ left.

I'm not knocking it but defence has not been his priority.

I've said this before & I'll say it again.....we have a good left-sided midfielder. He goes by the name of Scott Golbourne!

Is he ready for the pressures of being a regular first team player?

From his performances at the start of the season i don't think so yet, Which is why i think we need both a left back and left winger.

In a couple of years he'll own one of those positions, but at present I'm not convinced!

Johnson does seem to prefer a "Keeganesque" type of football.If you look at his Yeovil stats you'll see that his sides lost loads of games, drew hardly any but won loads as well. I'm not sure, but I think they lost 12 or more games when they came up which is a very high number of defeats for a promoted side.

Perhaps he prefers to have all his midfielders as attacking players which will leave the back four exposed especially against the break.That said it also creates more chances at the other end and maybe its no co-incidence that two midfielders scored a goal each last Saturday.

Could be that we are in for a roller coaster ride over the next 32 games..

I totally agree, stick Scott out there on the wing.

But that would mean that we'd need a very strong left-back.

I reckon we've seen enough quality from Golbourne for him to be heavily involved this season. I've said before that I'd rather see him given a chance to learn the hard way at left-back rather than have Woodman plodding through the season with mediocre perfomances.

If Golbourne could do a job on the wing, that would be a bonus. He's left-footed, has pace, intelligence and a good touch.

As with Cotterill, though, I'd imagine that some fans'll moan if he's not Ronaldinho in his first game back in the team!

Shouldn't have let Tommy go. As for Clayton, he had 15 good minutes in midfield against Brentford the season before last but he isn't the answer. I'm afraid he's error prone. I get the same dodgy feeling when he's on the ball that I did when Glenn Humphries used to play. I believe that in January we will be making a bid for Garys' son Lee. A midfielder who can pass, tackle and score goals. Still can't help thinking that Tommy was hard done by, judging by the actions of some of the players over the past couple of weeks.

Wouldn't the obvious solution be Alex Russell ?

Maybe not as tough in the tackle as a Doherty, but I think he can be the calm, disciplined central midfielder we need.

Scott Brown does the tough tackling, but positionally he's all over the pitch.

Surely Russell must be fit soon ?

Archived