IGNORED

Do You Remember The Time? (part 2)

Dollymarie

Ok so now we would like to receive your memories of City in the 80's.

The legends we have appearing from the period 1980 - 1989 are:-

Rob Newman (1981 - 1991)

Glyn Riley (1982 - 1987)

David Moyes (1985 - 1987) confirmation pending on David

Alan Walsh (1984 - 1989)

So any memories you have of thes players in particulat would be particularly useful.

Guest ashtonyate

Rob Newman (1981 - 1991)

Glyn Riley (1982 - 1987)

Alan Walsh (1984 - 1989)

So any memories you have of thes players in particulat would be particularly useful.

The thing I remember about Rob Newman was he made his league debue when city had just gone Bankrupt I think it was against Fulham.The Ashton eight had just all left the club and all the younster were put in, Rob was a raw 18 year old ? bags of talent and became a great servant of the club

Rob Newman (1981 - 1991)

Glyn Riley (1982 - 1987)

Alan Walsh (1984 - 1989)

YOU could see with all of them, they wanted to wear the red and white shirt.

I have a great memory of Rob Newman blazing a free kick in against some outfit called Wigan (Huh! where are THEY now?) in some of the worst conditions for a game I have witnessed, howling gales, horizontal rain and the old floodlights swaying gently (didn't the floodlights end up at Wigan?)

Mickey Mellon making his debut against (Wigan!!) and getting floored instantly.

Walshy and the inevitable outcome of the shuffle, we knew it was coming, the opposing player knew it was coming, but they couldn't do anything to stop it!

Neville flat on his back, triumphant after breaking a long non scoring spell.

another missed penalty against swindon that would have taken us into the playoffs

Wallsall in the playoffs (David ****in Kelly) beating Sheff Utd in the original playoff arrangements where we used to play the lower teams from the league above - much better system.

Anglo Italian games

Glen Humphries and Andy Llewellyn

Mark Aizlewood taking out whotsisname (I also have a great memory of the Aize getting annoyed at some opo player - he waited until the play turned to go up the other end, no one was looking and he stamped with full force right across the top of the other blokes foot, made MY eyes water!)

Keith 'Elvis' Welch - flicking the ball nonchalantly past two defenders after he'd taken it out to the corner flag

(also letting the ball run under his foot up at West Brom though'!!)

Steve McClaren - classy midfielder who spent a lot of time face down on the turf!!

Steve Galliers - boy could we use him right now

and who could forget Milne - the legend.

The thing I remember about Rob Newman was he made his league debue when city had just gone Bankrupt I think it was against Fulham.The Ashton eight had just all left the club and all the younster were put in, Rob was a raw 18 year old ? bags of talent and became a great servant of the club

The week after the Fulham game (which ended 0 - 0 with Newman hitting the cross bar), City were away to Walsall.

Newman scored the winner with a superb free kick, we were on the way back......... well, eventually.

Pretty sure it was a 0-0 home to Fulham. Crowd went from 4,000 for the last home league game to over 9,000 for the Fulham game. Stood on the enclosure if memory serves.

Guest S_M_U_D_G_E

Glyn Riley scoring at Wembley 86, jumped over the advertising boards and skidded on his knees! One of my first city memories, addicted ever since!

Glyn Riley scoring at Wembley 86, jumped over the advertising boards and skidded on his knees! One of my first city memories, addicted ever since!

If remember rightly he didn't skid on his knees he landed on his arse and had trouble getting up, should be on the video. Also Terry Cooper in tears - classic. Happy days

Guest pentlandsl

I remember Glyn Riley and Steve Neville used to regular frequent the Cabot Club (sometimes a little too soon before matches!) but despite that both were excellent players for City and the win in the 86 Wembley final was one of the greatest feelings I've had watching City (losing at Wembley is also one of the worst feelings I have had!).

One of the matches I remember was great fondness was the promotion year from the 4th to the 3rd when we went to Chester and outnumbered the home fans - there were thousands of us there and it was an unbelievable atmosphere. The LDV vans match at Hereford, when we lost 2 nil was also memorable for the atmosphere (luckily managed to beat them 3-0 in the second leg - again a rousing atmosphere.

Guest bristolbred

1984/85 Season,

09th Feb 1985,

Away at Orient it was the ONLY match to be played in the Country that day!!.

Deep Snow, Freezing Cold, i caught the first train out of Sunningdale, where i was living at the time, it was 2 hours late!!, my mates who were going to QPR and Chelsea were told by the station staff listening to the radio that their games were postponed!!, so we all went straight to Orient!!.

There were only 2,869 supporters there, of which only a couple of hundred were City Fans!!.

Apparently there was a Footex Special that day, but it had broken down near Westbury??.

The pitch still had snow on it, but the lines had been cleared, and they played with an Orange ball!!.

Half time saw us moved into the Home End, as Police brought some Swindle Fans into the ground as their train had broken down near by, and they were getting cold!!, as they went straight to the kiosk for hot drinks!!

We won 1-0, and the best of it was the next day!!

EVERY NEWSPAPER in the land had the back pages dedicated to the snow and the fact that our's was the ONLY game played that cold Saturday and the photo the ALL used was a very cold, bald John Shaw in his green jersey, holding the Orange ball, about to kick it forward!!.

A great spirited goal keeper, good sense of humour, (Crewe fans called him Osram, when we lost 1-0 to a lobbed goal at Gresty Lane!) and part of a team where players played for pride!!.

And Alan Walsh was probably the best player we had during the 80's!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Even 3 successive relegations in the 80's were fun in their way. We went to some very different away grounds and had some great times.

I remember a game at Blackburn in 1980-1 season when a pie fight broke out among rival fans at half time. It was like an episode of TISWAS. That same season we won 3-2 at Cardiff (the only away win that season) with Jimmy Mann scoring with just about the last kick of the game, and the final match of the season at Coldham which was so dull that we has our own impromptu game on the grassy bank at the top of the away end.

81-2 was the year of the Ashton Gate Eight, followed by Terry Cooper taking over at a skint club and bringing back team spirit, confidence and a sense of self belief. After hitting rock bottom of the league we bounced back, beginning with a vital Christmas time win at Hereford. After that City were on the way up. They were eventually promoted and the rest is history.

Archived