IGNORED

Phillips On The Bench

brady bunch

If rumours are correct and SP is on the bench tonight and we do well without him, I would not be totally surprised if he did not play again and left in the January Window.

I have never been a massive fan of his, but do respect him for what he is (a first class shot stopper).

Rightly or wrongly if we are able to turn things around in the next few games and he has been dropped as part of GJ's need to do "something" or freshen things up as he has said, I can seriously see him leaving after 9 years with us.

A mate of mine still blames him for us being in this terrible division as he was between the sticks for the season we went down and as like now he had little defence in front of him and as now his frailty in other areas cost us points, I remember him up ending K Phillips on the edge of the box when the ball was going out for a goal kick that gifted Sunderland a penalty near the end of a game and gave them all 3 points.

He has improved but there are better keepers in my book.

Johnson would be an idiot to sell philips. he has been one of our best players over the last few seasons.

Phillips has been the best keeper in our division for the last few seasons but this season he has let himself down, he needs serious competition for his place in the side and also needs to be more commanding in his area (which IMO he is not capable of doing but I still think he is worth keeping).

Also, every player has their price and if someone comes in with £350k+ for him GJ & SL might find it just too hard to resist.

BCAGFC

Johnson would be an idiot to sell philips. he has been one of our best players over the last few seasons.

Nah, most overated player. If you had a keeper who just came out and caught the ball it would make a world of difference. Most of the shots Phillips have to save are ones of his own making. I hope we somehow get money for him if he goes.

Nah, most overated player. If you had a keeper who just came out and caught the ball it would make a world of difference. Most of the shots Phillips have to save are ones of his own making. I hope we somehow get money for him if he goes.

Name me one other player whose performances and effort has single handedly saved us from dropping points like some of philips outstanding point blank saves.

Guest The Codfather 0312
If rumours are correct and SP is on the bench tonight and we do well without him, I would not be totally surprised if he did not play again and left in the January Window.

I have never been a massive fan of his, but do respect him for what he is (a first class shot stopper).

Rightly or wrongly if we are able to turn things around in the next few games and he has been dropped as part of GJ's need to do "something" or freshen things up as he has said, I can seriously see him leaving after 9 years with us.

A mate of mine still blames him for us being in this terrible division as he was between the sticks for the season we went down and as like now he had little defence in front of him and as now his frailty in other areas cost us points, I remember him up ending K Phillips on the edge of the box when the ball was going out for a goal kick that gifted Sunderland a penalty near the end of a game and gave them all 3 points.

He has improved but there are better keepers in my book.

In his first game for us we beat Sheffield United 2-0. If my memory is correct which it may not be he didn't feature much that season, It was Bo Andersson in goal for most of the season. Then when he left City brought in Billy Mercer and it was only when he got all his injury problems that Phillips broke into the first team and played every week.

Name me one other player whose performances and effort has single handedly saved us from dropping points like some of philips outstanding point blank saves.

Yes but what everyone misses is the fact that he wouldn't have to make most of those saves if he just came out and caught the ball to start with. He brings almost zero confidence to the defence infront of him.

In his first game for us we beat Sheffield United 2-0. If my memory is correct which it may not be he didn't feature much that season, It was Bo Andersson in goal for most of the season. Then when he left City brought in Billy Mercer and it was only when he got all his injury problems that Phillips broke into the first team and played every week.

I thought that Stowell took over as first choice when Mercer first when on the treatment table. Philips took over when Stowell was injured and has pretty much kept his place ever since?

Guest jamesey_dogg

Possibly Basso to start tonight however, no one can say that he is the reason we are in this division...

He has been one of the best keepers in this division for the last 4-5 years...

He was also voted by fellow professionals into the Div 2 team of the year two seasons ago, and to be fair (sometimes i don't think so) but they probably know more than us!!! :dunno:

Guest weaselfeatures

You are correct my man. Only weeks ago he was being hailed by others as one of the best stoppers outside the priemiership. I have been watching City since 55 and this bunch of no hopers are probably the worst I have seen.

i really really hope that it wasnt his last game for us because to me it doesnt seem that he has done anything wrong

hes a brilliant goalkeeper and id like to think that almost everything single city fan feels the same way but it is turning out to seem that johnson has a grudge or some sort or something against him

What!? "hasn't done anything wrong?" and " he's a brilliant 'keeper and " Johnson has a grudge against him"

First point - two errors in the last two games both resulting in goals against.Second point - He's a fine shot stopper but weak in every other department.Third point - Nah! If Phillips doesn't play tonight it'll because Johnson has lost confidence in him due to his howlers and lack of an all round game.

Tell me about this Basso fellow you're so keen on then.

I've never seen him play so for all I know he's completely useless.

It wouldn't matter what the other goalkeepers name is! The point is that Phillips's game has been exposed and its time for a change between the sticks.

Guest maccer1

It seems clear to me that the reason most of our defenders are so poor this year is because there is a lack of understanding/communication with Phillips. I really think Basso must start tonight.

Spot on !!

Guest alex1089

My mate saw him in a reserve game and He said Basso was fantastic and caught every cross and wasen't afraid to come out and collect that ball in the air. He also said he was very loud and was shouting what he wanted from the defence throughout the game.

My mate saw him in a reserve game and He said Basso was fantastic and caught every cross and wasen't afraid to come out and collect that ball in the air. He also said he was very loud and was shouting what he wanted from the defence throughout the game.

I don't know if City always sub goalies in reserve games, but Basso was substituted after 60mins. Maybe to have a last minute check with reassurance that he has the ability to cope for the Swindon game! :pray:

Yes but what everyone misses is the fact that he wouldn't have to make most of those saves if he just came out and caught the ball to start with. He brings almost zero confidence to the defence infront of him.

Actually, if Gordon Banks/Peter Schmeichel/David Seaman/Oliver Kahn, had our suicide defence in front, they'd be p!ss poor too. Granted he flaps at crosses, but in recent times he is doing most of the work! Competition would be good for him though, removes complacency.

I see nothing HERE to seriously trouble his place though.

Archived