IGNORED

Cole Skuse

Guest Baker32

I think Skuse will be an excellent player, but as a defender. He is doing a good job, but is young, learning and playing in a side with no confidence. He does need a rest, and certainly does not deserve the abuse certain people give him. Nor do Phillips, Cotterill or Woodman

Yup - agree with you Chappers. When Skuse made his debut it was in central defence and he was outstanding - seemed to have a lot of time on the ball. I've been surprised that he hasn't been given a chance to play there again since.

Guest Harry Dolman

To be honest anyone that regular watches City & thinks Skuse has no talent is a pretty poor judge.

He has the potential to become the "complete" midfielder as he can pass, head, tackle & support the attack.

Barring say, Rooney, all young players show inconsistent form.

Where Skuse needs to improve is that he needs to dominate games more, sometimes they do pass him by a bit. However lets get real we are asking a 19 year old to "dominate" games when he is playing against far more experienced (& at this moment in time better) players like Thornton of Donny & Wellens of Oldham .... really we are asking too much.

i thinjk most people are saying that he will prove to be class over time but at present is struggling and that our prediciment requires more experience. cole needs a rest and will come back better for it. no one doubts his commitment however and its shame some of the more senior pro's arent performing as this would ease the pressure on the young lads..

I have a lot of time and respect for Cole Skuse. I think he is talented and is the future of the club, if some fans manage not to totally destroy his confidence. He also needs the right coaching from management.

He has had bad games recently, who hasn't? He looks like the role he has been given is at times too much for him. He needs a rest and sadly now because he is injured he will get one.

The senior pros in the team should be helping and nurturing the younger players, giving words of encouragement, passing on their experiences. Instead they seem to be struggling with their own game resulting in too many individuals and not enough 'team' on the pitch.

I have also been impressed with what I hear about his attitude. Someone on here said after a recent defeat he apologised to some fans who were waiting outside for autographs, most other players it seems walked past heads down etc. Also along with a few others he was praised strongly for the way he was at the Supporters trust launch, again some other players let the club down apparently.

I'm not saying he's brilliant, but he's not the worse player we have by any means. He is young and has potential to develop. Next season we could be in the 2nd division, and he's surely too good for that?

And as for slating him because of his name??? Unless he's changed it by deed poll that's down to his parents. I hate my name and wish my parents had called me something else!

To be honest anyone that regular watches City & thinks Skuse has no talent is a pretty poor judge.

He has the potential to become the "complete" midfielder as he can pass, head, tackle & support the attack.

However lets get real we are asking a 19 year old to "dominate" games when he is playing against far more experienced (& at this moment in time better) players like Thornton of Donny & Wellens of Oldham .... really we are asking too much.

To be honest anyone that regularly watches city and thinks skuse has talent is a poor judge.

Of all the attributes you list I have yet to see anything from him. He manages to 'pass' the ball probably once a game, give anybody the ball and they could make as many decent passes. As for tackling I think the game just passes him by, he has got absolutely no bite what-so-ever. Support the attack???? cos he is always making all of his trade mark late runs into the box, and those fantastic through balls, not to mention his thunderbolting long range shots. Has the guy had any assists this season? And how many of our missed chances have been set up by him I struggle to think of any.

His reading of the game is poor aswell, just doesn't seem to ever be ahead of play and seems so simple to play the ball around him.

If he is the future of Bristol City then I think we are headed straight towards the Ryman Premier.

As for playing centre back he just isn't big enough, he will get pushed off the ball far too easily, he needs to add a lot more bulk to himself to make it at CB no matter how big the strikers are that he faces.

Guest Harry Dolman

To be honest anyone that regularly watches city and thinks skuse has talent is a poor judge.

Of all the attributes you list I have yet to see anything from him. He manages to 'pass' the ball probably once a game, give anybody the ball and they could make as many decent passes. As for tackling I think the game just passes him by, he has got absolutely no bite what-so-ever. Support the attack???? cos he is always making all of his trade mark late runs into the box, and those fantastic through balls, not to mention his thunderbolting long range shots. Has the guy had any assists this season? And how many of our missed chances have been set up by him I struggle to think of any.

His reading of the game is poor aswell, just doesn't seem to ever be ahead of play and seems so simple to play the ball around him.

If he is the future of Bristol City then I think we are headed straight towards the Ryman Premier.

As for playing centre back he just isn't big enough, he will get pushed off the ball far too easily, he needs to add a lot more bulk to himself to make it at CB no matter how big the strikers are that he faces.

I am not someone who retains a photographic memory of games so I am struggling a bit here. In terms of supporting the attack, I am sure he played the through ball to Stewart than led to the penalty v Barnsley, he rounded the keeper & put the ball on a plate for Quinn agginst Notts Co, & he helped create the chance for Brooker on Sat (which he missed from 6 yards). His passing is generally good - he rarely wastes the ball & I think his tackling is ok.

There is massive room for improvement - he needs to be stronger in the tackle, put in more "killer" passes, support the attack more & start scoring too. However, he is 19, inexperienced & playing arguably the most difficult position on the field, so I think some criticism is unwarranted.

I am not someone who retains a photographic memory of games so I am struggling a bit here. In terms of supporting the attack, I am sure he played the through ball to Stewart than led to the penalty v Barnsley, he rounded the keeper & put the ball on a plate for Quinn agginst Notts Co, & he helped create the chance for Brooker on Sat (which he missed from 6 yards). His passing is generally good - he rarely wastes the ball & I think his tackling is ok.

There is massive room for improvement - he needs to be stronger in the tackle, put in more "killer" passes, support the attack more & start scoring too. However, he is 19, inexperienced & playing arguably the most difficult position on the field, so I think some criticism is unwarranted.

I agree. He hasn't been brilliant but you can say the same about nearly everyone else. He is 100% commited and is young. The problem is we have been left to rely on players like Skuse, Cotteril and Brown to get us out of this mess, and it's not fair really.

Archived