IGNORED

Johnson To Do A Redknapp ?

headhunter

I am with Bristol Boy. How can you defend the idea of bringing in loan players and changing things around, if it does not improve anything? Youga was worse than Woodman, so why make the change? Savage in, Gilly out? It makes no sense at all. All I have seen of GJ is arrogance, he slags off the players in public, and continually tells us of his exploits at Yeovil. I don't think he is a bad Manager, just the wrong one for City in our present predicament. It is Pulis Mk II or perhaps even Atkins syndrome all over again.

I think that for the sake of City and GJ's reputation, a parting of the ways is needed. Incidentally, I was in work early the other day and did a quick analysis of GJ's record as a Third Division Manager at Cambridge, Yeovil and City - It is far from stunning (Unfortunately, the actual stats are on my PC). The one noticable thing in all cases was the number of goals conceded - But in our case, we never look like scoring enough to compensate.

i have faith in GJ, but in the six games between now and the 'holy grail' of the transfer window we face 3 teams (gill'ham, yeovil and roth'ham) who we MUST beat, no question. if he cannot raise the team for these three back to back games my faith will be roundly shaken. losses, and even draws, in these games will relegate us in my view. port vale, bradford and hud'sfield will be very tough, but with two of the three at home the team needs to play out of their skins, and build up the momentum of performance for the three games after. we are at a key stage of our season, there is no doubt, and GJs mettle will have its real acid test over the next two-three games.

My greatest worry is how bad we look on the pitch if i'm honest.

All our players each have ability and if on form should ensure we win most of our remaining games, but it's not working and we are losing, the way i see it that theres summin rotton in the dressing room, i'm not going to say any names as that would be unfair to Phillips, but some players are not pulling their weight and clearly don't care for the club, this means GJ will have to ship out some of our 'supposed' best players and some of you wont be happy about whos going, but its what we need to do in order to progress, we must let Johnson put his own squad together and forget about Tinnions, Wilsons old squad and how good Hill, Coles the Doc, Lita was and oooohh! how the board was stupid to let all out best players go on the cheap, GET OVER YOURSELVES!!

GJ is our manager and he'll soon have us playing quality football and winning games, but this will only happen when we ship out the crap which is suffercating our progress, wait till end of Jan and judge him then, and even then would be too soon, we have to give him a full season, and we will, and that season will be the next one when he will take us to the Championship.

Anyone playing in the Poker tourney at 8pm? I'll kick your asses!!

Well then, prepare yourself for relegation, because I believe Johnson will take us down, unless results start changing from now.

Agreed

While you may be happy to see the man do that, I'm not. And even though another manager will cause another upheaval, something drastic needs to be done and I think Johnson's run out of ideas.

If we are more than 10 points adrift by Christmas, we won't make it up and Johnson must go.

The problem is Johnson HAS done something drastic and it hasn't worked.

What he should have done is something simple like continue with what worked against Barnsley & Brentford, and bring in one or two quality loans, if needed to cover injuries.

Bristol Boy, I think that we will never agree

I agree :rolleyes:

I just hope GJ is given long enough to turn it around and for me that well include time after relegation.

Super-The power of positive thinking, ay :whistle:

My patience would run out when we had showed no signs that he could turn it around in a seasons time, when he has his own permanent players in and has been able to structure the club the way he wants.

This gets worse-So Alex, me old china-Johnson stays for a season.He ***ks things up wholesale.His structure is unworkable and the player's he's brought in are, as per the loans, somewhat, shall we say......er, PANTS.

Then, off he goes, with two years salary (SL's fault not his) and leaves a complete mess for someone else to sort out.

Yep, see where your coming from there, all right :blink:

Relegation has been a good thing for lots of clubs and may well be the shock the club needs as I said.

No, Alex, getting promoted after relegation has been the good thing.Ask their fans and which clubs do you mean.

We wouldn't go bankrupt etc as I've seen Steve say in 'Ask Steve'. Also it may force him to stand down which could be a good thing.

I think he answered that on the basis that he wouldn't walk away.....Now, if he did :dunno:

Promotion at the start of the season was mediated by Tinnion, then the fans got over excited as per usual and the bookies always have us as favourites. It didn't go unnoticed by some that we had replaced good players with bad ones and that we missed players in postions like left wing. Those people have now beeen proved correct.

After many years in the doldrums and having spent millions on players etc, I don't think promotion was a wild and wacky idea.

It was absolutely sensible-in theory :crying:

I agree about the missing players in key positions and I was rebuked for saying we needed cover for Brooker and that he should start instead of Bridges, next to Stewart-Still, what do I know :whistle:

He does have time. I'm not happy to be relegated but it may well be the best thing to happen in the long run. I'm just glad a lot of people on this forum have not say over the manager as we would be changing manager every few weeks.

Relegation would be bloody fantastic. A club with about £10 million of debt and a season ticket base of around 3,000 having to pay players like Murray £2,700 per week and Marcus Stewart £5,000 per week. And not forgetting the salary of the MANAGER as well. Oh, I forgot, they would all tear up their contracts forthwith in the best interests of the club wouldn't they? Oh, and the generation of kids around here looking for a football club to support are really going to come along and help our debt ridden club find it's feet again with "tasty" games such as Boston United, Accrington Stanley, Lincoln City and Macclesfield Town to look forward to, aren't they?. That has to be one of the best Business Plan's I have heard in a long time.

One minor thing you have forgotten in your cunning plan. Once you lose football supporters in Bristol, it takes a bloody long time to get them back.

GJ is our manager and he'll soon have us playing quality football and winning games, but this will only happen when we ship out the crap which is suffercating our progress, wait till end of Jan and judge him then, and even then would be too soon, we have to give him a full season, and we will, and that season will be the next one when he will take us to the Championship.

Please tell me who is going to buy "the crap" as you put it.

Hahah, check out all you short sighted silly people, on the chocolate liquors already are we? :laugh:

What would it say about GJ's commitment if he turned his back on us?

Hang On-You mention commitment? This is football mate.......commitment :w00t:

There is nothing in his charactor to suggest for one minute he's a quitter, he has the full backing of the board and the informed fans at this club.

Really.......OK on that basis,I'll get back on message-Speak for them all, do you?

Johnson to do a Redknapp indeed!

Pfffft!!

Stranger things have happened-What odds would you have got on Redknapp to Soton-Redknapp back to Pompey :dunno:

After many years in the doldrums and having spent millions on players etc, I don't think promotion was a wild and wacky idea.

It was absolutely sensible-in theory :crying:

I agree about the missing players in key positions and I was rebuked for saying we needed cover for Brooker and that he should start instead of Bridges, next to Stewart-Still, what do I know :whistle:

BristolBoy, I was saying that's how long I would give him, and that is a fair amount of time before he shows no signs of improvement. Allt the things you suggest won't happen because he will turn it around.

We will get promoted after relegation if it happens. Which clubs? Swansea- although it took them a while to turn it around. Brentford? Southend? West Ham? Of course relegation can be bad, I just feel that in the long run it may help.

If Steve did walk away we would survive. Clubs always do.

Promotion is always sensible in theory. In practice we were never going to do it without replacing key players, not even gettin in any left sided players of use and having an inexperienced manager, who did poorly the season before.

BristolBoy, I was saying that's how long I would give him, and that is a fair amount of time before he shows no signs of improvement. Allt the things you suggest won't happen because he will turn it around.

Why? Seriously, I've seen some people, fewer by the week, but some people who say he'll turn it around.Apart from "he's an expereinced manager or look what he did at Yeovil" I haven't seen one reason offered explaining why he will.So, why will he?

We will get promoted after relegation if it happens.

Why?

Which clubs? Swansea- although it took them a while to turn it around. Brentford? Southend? West Ham? Of course relegation can be bad, I just feel that in the long run it may help.

Were West Ham in the 3rd Div? :dunno:So, on what you're saying, do it right and we could be......Southend :(

If Steve did walk away we would survive. Clubs always do.

Do the words Accrington Stanley or Bradford Park Avenue mean anything to you? How about Southport or Barrow? I'd like to do more than just survive, thanks.

Promotion is always sensible in theory. In practice we were never going to do it without replacing key players, not even gettin in any left sided players of use and having an inexperienced manager, who did poorly the season before.

My greatest worry is how bad we look on the pitch if i'm honest.

Spot on.It's not just the results, is it?

GJ is our manager and he'll soon have us playing quality football and winning games,

Why do you think things will suddenly improve, particularly between now and Jan?

but this will only happen when we ship out the crap which is suffercating our progress,

name the crap and moreover, where they'll go.

wait till end of Jan and judge him then,

End of Jan :unsure: we could be doomed by then

and even then would be too soon, we have to give him a full season, and we will, and that season will be the next one when he will take us to the Championship.

Why?

Anyone playing in the Poker tourney at 8pm? I'll kick your asses!!

Stick to cards :D

There's no point in debating in with you because we simply believe different things. I for one will love it when he turns it around.

If there's no point in debating, why answer a reply I made to someone else?:blink:

For the record, I really hope you're right, we win ten on the bounce and our season's kick started.

If there's no point in debating, why answer a reply I made to someone else?:blink:

For the record, I really hope you're right, we win ten on the bounce and our season's kick started.

I didn't mean to answer that reply- just whacked add reply. I can't see us winning 10 in a row but I can see us surviving and that will be more than good enough for me.

Maybe GJ needs Thompson? So instead of getting rid of Johnson bring Thompson here. :dunno: I've never really rated Millen, don't know why.

He doesn't do anything wrong but it gave me a bad feeling when Tinnion shouldered all the blame and Millen seemed to escape unblemished. Then the next manager was an old pal of his who he had been regularly talking to. Although some people would say Tinnion used the same methods maybe. Lonely life this Manager business I think. :(

My patience would run out when we had showed no signs that he could turn it around in a seasons time, when he has his own permanent players in and has been able to structure the club the way he wants.

What is this 'modern' viewpoint that a manager can't do his job unless he has 'his own players' - whatever that means. To my mind, that is merely an excuse for a lack of talent. Any manager worth his salt should be able to get the best out of what he's got. Johnson clearly isn't doing that. Give me something to hold on to, then. Exactly what have you seen in Johnson's tenure thus far that gives you reason for such optimism?

Relegation has been a good thing for lots of clubs and may well be the shock the club needs as I said. We wouldn't go bankrupt etc as I've seen Steve say in 'Ask Steve'. Also it may force him to stand down which could be a good thing.

You believe too much spin. Relegation is NEVER a good thing for any club. It will put a tremendous strain on an already loss-making enterprise. The added burden of reduced income will have serious consequences.

Promotion at the start of the season was mediated by Tinnion, then the fans got over excited as per usual and the bookies always have us as favourites. It didn't go unnoticed by some that we had replaced good players with bad ones and that we missed players in postions like left wing. Those people have now beeen proved correct.

Incorrect. Promotion this year was mediated by the CLUB - in an attempt to sell season tickets. The 'magnificent seven' signings were used as additional spin to attract flagging season ticket sales.

Besides, Lansdown said 'Judge me on Tinnion', we did - so why is he still here? What was the point of that comment unless it was meant to infer "I've put Tinnion in - if he doesn't cut the mustard, I'll walk".

The fans didn't get overexcited and the bookies never do. We had finished 7th and brought in 7 new signings, what else could the fans be but optimistic?

Bookies are there to make money, they don't normally lose. If the bookies had shortened the odds on City gaining promotion, it was because they, too, believed City were in with a shout.

Interesting that you state it didn't go unnoticed that some bad players were brought in to replace good outgoing ones. Were you pro-Tinnion? Were you one of those telling the rest of us to give Tinnion a chance?

It wouldn't surprise me, considering the blind faith you have in Johnson.

To the Johnson haters in this thread, your names have been noted, and when Johnson turns things around you sure better not start bumming him!

Why is everyone slagging him off, almost everyon was delighted when we got him!

Why are you all saying you want him out, you guys are a disgrace to this football club!!!

True fans my ####### ass!!

Not a modern viewpoint. I firmly believe a manager should be given time to create his own side and have a chance to sort out the club. Not just the on field problems. He should be able to get the best out of what he has got and when he has a crap side they will end up near the bottom. This hasn't been helped by his poor loan signings though. Reasons for optimism- trying to get rid of the wasters like Fortune, Woodman. Trying to get rid of high wages earners like Bridges and Stewart to open up funds to bring in players of use. Breaking the 'cosy club' mentality and the drinking culture etc. There's no point in trying with you though because you have lost hope in him already. Ye of little faith.

I don't believe too much 'spin'. I've seen what clubs like Swansea and Plymouth have done since being down in the 4th division and it isn't bad. Relegation is not a good thing in the short term but in the long term it can be. Reduced income may be helfpul in getting rid of the dead wood and getting rid of a certain chairman who isn't improving things for me.

'Incorrect'. Sorry I thought Tinnion was part of the club at the time? My mistake. Ok, so I forgot to mention the rest of the staff at the club who tried to get this promotion lark to us. Lansdown did say judge me on Tinnion and I hoped he might leave depsite him having good intentions.

'The fans didn't get overexcited'. Why were a lot of people on here saying the league was in the bag then? We had finished 7th, lost our best player and brought in average or freebies on the most part. Stewart looked to be the one who was the exception.

Agree about bookies but they always have City to do well.

I wasn't pro-Tinnio but like every manager I will give them a chance.

I don't have blind faith in Johnson. He did well at Yeovil with limited resources, talent. Same situation here for me. You seem to be the kind of person who is sceptical whoever comes in, whether it be an experience manager or a promotion winning one.

To the Johnson haters in this thread, your names have been noted, and when Johnson turns things around you sure better not start bumming him!

Why are you all saying you want him out, you guys are a disgrace to this football club!!!

You have no idea what a true fan is. The true fan looks out for his club, and if you see trouble coming you kick it in the fu##ing teeth! I have not said i want GJ out, but i did not want him here either. When the players on the pitch get slagged off for being crap, the man who is supposed to doing the motivating cant even get that right!

Not a modern viewpoint. I firmly believe a manager should be given time to create his own side and have a chance to sort out the club. Not just the on field problems. He should be able to get the best out of what he has got and when he has a crap side they will end up near the bottom. This hasn't been helped by his poor loan signings though. Reasons for optimism- trying to get rid of the wasters like Fortune, Woodman. Trying to get rid of high wages earners like Bridges and Stewart to open up funds to bring in players of use. Breaking the 'cosy club' mentality and the drinking culture etc. There's no point in trying with you though because you have lost hope in him already. Ye of little faith.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the need for managers to build their own side. But the fact is that the squad we had were 2nd favourites for promotion - they weren't, on paper, a 'crap side'. Admittedly Tinnion's ineptitude took us to the bottom, but I really haven't seen anything in Johnson's tenure that gives me cause to be optimistic. As you say, his loan signings have been questionable but so has his management of the players and his tactics.

I find your reasons for optimism surprising. Getting rid of high wage earners like Stewart and Bridges? What, and replacing them with players like Savage and Quinn? Also Fortune and Woodman, I can't see what benefit Youga and Joseph added to the squad.

As for breaking the 'cosy club' mentality, I thought Tinnion was supposed to have done that?

You're right, I don't have any faith - but then I prefer to rely on managers who seem to know what they're doing. So far, Johnson has clearly demonstrated that he doesn't.

Having said that, if he miraculously gets us off the bottom of the league and into 20th place by Christmas, I'm happy to acknowledge that I was wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't believe too much 'spin'. I've seen what clubs like Swansea and Plymouth have done since being down in the 4th division and it isn't bad. Relegation is not a good thing in the short term but in the long term it can be. Reduced income may be helfpul in getting rid of the dead wood and getting rid of a certain chairman who isn't improving things for me.

'Incorrect'. Sorry I thought Tinnion was part of the club at the time? My mistake. Ok, so I forgot to mention the rest of the staff at the club who tried to get this promotion lark to us. Lansdown did say judge me on Tinnion and I hoped he might leave depsite him having good intentions.

'The fans didn't get overexcited'. Why were a lot of people on here saying the league was in the bag then? We had finished 7th, lost our best player and brought in average or freebies on the most part. Stewart looked to be the one who was the exception.

Agree about bookies but they always have City to do well.

I wasn't pro-Tinnio but like every manager I will give them a chance.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the relegation issue as well. I stand by my opinion that relegation would spell disaster for this club at this time.

You're right, there were a lot of people on here saying that the championship was in the bag. I even posted that they were foolish to do so. But with the finish we'd had the previous season and the generally accepted opinion that the signings were 'reasonable', fans had a modicum of an excuse to speculate that promotion was on the cards.

I don't have blind faith in Johnson. He did well at Yeovil with limited resources, talent. Same situation here for me. You seem to be the kind of person who is sceptical whoever comes in, whether it be an experience manager or a promotion winning one.

You are correct, I am by nature a very sceptical and cynical person. I like to see things proved to me and so far Johnson has done nothing to prove anything. You however, seem to be content with the knowledge that, because he did well at another club, it follows that he will do well here.

Reputations count for nothing when my club is on the verge of a disasterous relegation.

Not a modern viewpoint. I firmly believe a manager should be given time to create his own side and have a chance to sort out the club.

Agreed.However, in the midst of that process, we, the paying customers have to see progress.I put it to you, we're not.

Not just the on field problems. He should be able to get the best out of what he has got and when he has a crap side they will end up near the bottom.

Clearly Johnson is failing on 1 and acheiving 2

This hasn't been helped by his poor loan signings though.

HIS poor loan signings.

Reasons for optimism- trying to get rid of the wasters like Fortune, Woodman.

Please explain to me why Woodman is a waster? I think he was one of our most consistent performers under DW until DW recked his confidence by replacing him with Matt Hill at LB to accommodate Butler & Hill in the same back four.Nothing against MH or TB and it nearly worked but it was tough on Woodman.

Trying to get rid of high wages earners like Bridges and Stewart to open up funds to bring in players of use.

He's kept Stewart and has started him regularly.Agree about Bridges.

Breaking the 'cosy club' mentality and the drinking culture etc. There's no point in trying with you though because you have lost hope in him already. Ye of little faith.

Did you notice who was manager when the town boy incident occured :whistle:

I don't believe too much 'spin'. I've seen what clubs like Swansea and Plymouth have done since being down in the 4th division and it isn't bad.

New owners.New Stadia.COUNCIL BACKING.But it took a long time and Plymouth have stalled-albeit above us!

Relegation is not a good thing in the short term but in the long term it can be. Reduced income may be helfpul in getting rid of the dead wood and getting rid of a certain chairman who isn't improving things for me.

Relegation can also loose you your better players and, whilst I take your point, I don't think it would help City in either the long or the short term.

It's a fact of life that most of the clubs relegated last year had experienced managers.

OK, I promise not to "bum him" Ye Gods

Because, after an initial honeymoon period, during which we won 3 in 4 with the terrible players on which he shouldn't be judged,he's signed some worse ones on loan, we've set a club record for consequestive defeats, looked appalling, picked up 0 points out of 18 and look woeful & inept.Not a lot, I know, but a trifle annoying, wouldn't you say??

Why are you all saying you want him out,

Please see above.

you guys are a disgrace to this football club!!!

If being what you describe as a "true fan" means blindly buying into what we've seen recently and believing the excuses & spin, then no, I'm not and never will be.

Wake up, open your eyes and loose the red goggles-Oh and a few alternative phrases might not go amiss :pinch:

Archived