IGNORED

Lansdown

tin

Ok - lets just say there are 20,000 confirmed City fans (not by any means regulars at the game) who have an average of £80,000 equity in their homes.

That makes their 'worth' from here alone a cool £1.6 billion.

Lets say house prices went up 10% this year.

Wow - the net worth of city fans has increased by at least £160 million. Chelsea eat your heart out. That dwarfs Steve's fortune.

So why don't we all chip in and buy a load of new players? The only downside is you have to sell your house first.

Its as simple as asking Steve to spend his net worth on the club!

Could someone tell me why Steve L should be spending his own personal fortune that he has built up over the years ? I don't see many City fans raiding their own savings accounts and giving their money to the club knowing that they will get nothing back.

Take the supporters trust for instance - they are trying to secure funding so they can at least aim to get a seat on the board, they arrange a very successful launch night where in excess of 600+ people attend but how many people atcually signed up to pay £5 a month ?? (may be a question for miles here !) but i don't think it was that many considering - if the supporters trust cant get people to spend £5 a month then why should Steve L spend millions a year ??

Good point, precisely what I thought when I read the above posts - our chairman and other Director/s have already put money in and continue to do so, do we really expect him to risk even more or all of his own personal wealth? How many of us would?

You mean once Lita's scheming agent had spent all summer trying to convince Leroy that a move away from City would be best.

Leroy will say what he likes to people down town - doesn't mean it's the truth. So what's your evidence to back up your charge?

He may well have asked for a new contract at City - doesn't mean he'd tell you.

Haha.

Yes all summer Sky Andrews was on the phone to Lita telling him to go to Reading. Really.

Lita was so much of a city fan that he didn't want to go and play for Reading at a higher level for more money and have the chance to move back to london, push for promotion into the Premiership and try and get selected for England u-21s. I can see how the conversation went now.

Sky: "Hey Leroy, Reading are intere...."

Leroy: "Packing already man"

You want me to prove this? I'd be more interested in seeing proof that a board member discusses contracts with people who post on here.

Nibor

Around £4M of SL's wealth is already tied up in the club. If SL is worth £50M that's a fair percentage tied up in the Club already.

As already stated by some, if this wealth includes the value of Hargreaves Lansdown that's not a liquid asset.

I think it's fair to say that SL has already shown strong financial commitment relative to his wealth. It's also worth pointing out that the Club has now re-financed the interest bearing loans and SL and KD have now made interest free loans.

But let's all please keep in mind that much of the money put in is loaned. Loans are repayable. We now owe almost as much as we own. This means that serious consequences may arise if more financial loans are made to get players in January.

We have 'speculated to accumulate' unsuccessfully for seven years, which means that further over-spending is a strategy of 'speculate to disintegrate'

The only viable alternative to having a well managed club living within its means is for a wealthy benefactor to gift money. SL is a wealthy man but he's not in Dave Whelan's league and shouldn't be expected to make gifts (although the current interest free loans are a gift of the interest the directors are entitled to). Until such a benefactor comes along let's accept that the Club must start making a profit and help it to do so by joining the Supporters Trust.

form

notes

He hasn't got an Addams Family style vault at home!

Actually, he has. I don't know if you've been to his house, but it's a massive fifty bedroomed pile up the other end of North Street, where oiled slaves work night and day printing fifty pound notes which are sent straight down to the hangar-sized vault in the cellar where they flutter harmlessly amomgst the piles of gold bullion and the diamond encrusted football boots. He is so rich he could afford to buy the whole world ten times over, and the fact that he hasn't chosen to chuck a few paltry million quid our way is indeed a disgrace.

Just say for instance that a super rich fan wanted to put several million into the club to help it progress would you suggest they speak directly to the board or go through the supporters trust?

Not saying for one minute i have 5m knocking about to give to Gary in the new year, but if someone did it would be interesting to know how the ST could help use the money to better serve the club, than giving it straight to SL or buying yourself a place on the board.

If somone invested 5m into the ST, would this assure the ST a place on the board? how much money exactly do you think is needed to assure the ST a place on the board, that is what they are looking to do right?

Name me one club in the past 7 years that have spent as much as us,? Sure SL has made mistakes he's only human, but has been very generous to the club he loves, why do certain people think that he has some sort of obligation to fund this club.

Did anyone moan when Stewart and Bridges transfers were ok'ed by SL? Is it SL fault that these two hav'nt done the biss? Most fans thought we would go up automaticly this time, but were not, so is this SL fault? Maybe SL should play up front for us then we could really judge him then, but of coarse he would'nt do any worse would he? So get off his back

Name me one club in the past 7 years that have spent as much as us,? Sure SL has made mistakes he's only human, but has been very generous to the club he loves, why do certain people think that he has some sort of obligation to fund this club.

Did anyone moan when Stewart and Bridges transfers were ok'ed by SL? Is it SL fault that these two hav'nt done the biss? Most fans thought we would go up automaticly this time, but were not, so is this SL fault? Maybe SL should play up front for us then we could really judge him then, but of coarse he would'nt do any worse would he? So get off his back

Yeps, some people forget that SL is as passionate about BCFC as us fans, as a sucessful businessman i bet some decisions he's faced at the club daily must be a total contradiction his general business ethic.

:chant6ez:

well said and if you had 10 mill would you give half of it to city?

Firstly, yeah I would, purely because myself and my family could live off the interest off the other £5m for the rest of our lives providing it's not tied up in assets as Steve L's evidently is.

Secondly, people are missing the point of my original post. I'm merely saying that if he's earnt £10m in the last year then why not reinvest the money received for Leroy back into transfers so that Johnson's can try to bring in players to keep us up. It needs to be done. I watch with interest as to how much will be made available...

Firstly, yeah I would, purely because myself and my family could live off the interest off the other £5m for the rest of our lives providing it's not tied up in assets as Steve L's evidently is.

Secondly, people are missing the point of my original post. I'm merely saying that if he's earnt £10m in the last year then why not reinvest the money received for Leroy back into transfers so that Johnson's can try to bring in players to keep us up. It needs to be done. I watch with interest as to how much will be made available...

well said. we didnt need to sell leroy and what ever other people think he didnt ask for a move. he told me up town one night in the summer that he was going to give tinnion another year in this league for giving him his break but thats beside the point. £1m is hardly going to be missed by lansdowne if hes earnt £10m in the last year. bottom line is, based on this he can afford to reinvest the money we got for lita and it has to be done otherwise we'll be travelling the backwaters of division four next year.

in hope, r c hogg esq. :city:

• Admin

From what I have read, it would seem that Steve's gross worth has increased by 10 million, this is based on a journalists interpretation of company accounts, property registers and the like. That is far removed from earning 10 million, so I think it may be you missing the point, rather than those who have given an opposing view.

The money received for Leroy was paid to BCFC, not Steve Lansdown, so he would have to fund the "reinvestment" himself, which is asking a bit much when he didn't take anything from the deal.

I'm sure you haven't grasped the fact that Steve Lansdown, according to the rich list figures, did not earn £10M last year.

Whilst assumptions are dangerous, I would assume that he takes a salary from his company and perhaps a bonus or dividend when it performs well - from which he has ploughed money into the club.

From what I have read, it would seem that Steve's gross worth has increased by 10 million, this is based on a journalists interpretation of company accounts, property registers and the like. That is far removed from earning 10 million, so I think it may be you missing the point, rather than those who have given an opposing view.

The money received for Leroy was paid to BCFC, not Steve Lansdown, so he would have to fund the "reinvestment" himself, which is asking a bit much when he didn't take anything from the deal.

I'm sure you haven't grasped the fact that Steve Lansdown, according to the rich list figures, did not earn £10M last year.

Whilst assumptions are dangerous, I would assume that he takes a salary from his company and perhaps a bonus or dividend when it performs well - from which he has ploughed money into the club.

I see the figures crunching machine is alive and kickin'

Haha.

Yes all summer Sky Andrews was on the phone to Lita telling him to go to Reading. Really.

I didn't say that smartarse. Lita's agent was on the bell to several Championship and premiership clubs touting Lita's pending availability last summer. Once interest was recieved, Lita's agent can go back to him and say that if he went to 'Club A' then you'll get all this money.

Lita was so much of a city fan that he didn't want to go and play for Reading at a higher level for more money and have the chance to move back to london, push for promotion into the Premiership and try and get selected for England u-21s. I can see how the conversation went now.

Sky: "Hey Leroy, Reading are intere...."

Leroy: "Packing already man"

Yes, very good. I'm not denying it happened like that - what I'm saying is that Lita's agent initiated the move, as agents do to make a quick buck.

You want me to prove this? I'd be more interested in seeing proof that a board member discusses contracts with people who post on here.

Nibor

I would divulge further but a) I don't trust you and b) I don't like you.

I didn't say that smartarse. Lita's agent was on the bell to several Championship and premiership clubs touting Lita's pending availability last summer. Once interest was recieved, Lita's agent can go back to him and say that if he went to 'Club A' then you'll get all this money.

Quite likely, not what you said in your first post though. You picked an argument with me saying he didn't ask for a new contract at City and didn't have any intention of staying. Are you agreeing with this now?

Yes, very good. I'm not denying it happened like that - what I'm saying is that Lita's agent initiated the move, as agents do to make a quick buck.

So what are you denying then?

I would divulge further but a) I don't trust you and b) I don't like you.

Wow, best get a gun and end it all now hadn't I? :w00t: I didn't make any charges I needed to prove by the way, I just disputed that Leroy asked for a new contract and wanted to stay here instead of going to Reading.

Nibor

• Admin

I see the figures crunching machine is alive and kickin'

It's hardly number crunching, is it? Common sense would be a more apt phrase.

I was just bemused that someone could read that article and believe that Steve Lansdown suddenly had £10M cash at his disposal, which he should plough into the club.

Of course, another argument could be that ploughing cash into City seems pointless, as the big spenders of the division (fees & wages) over the last few years, we've spectacularly underachieved.

It's hardly number crunching, is it? Common sense would be a more apt phrase.

I was just bemused that someone could read that article and believe that Steve Lansdown suddenly had £10M cash at his disposal, which he should plough into the club.

Of course, another argument could be that ploughing cash into City seems pointless, as the big spenders of the division (fees & wages) over the last few years, we've spectacularly underachieved.

:doh::doh:

OMG! How many times dogboy????

If you're referring to me with this then I'm not saying he should plough it all in and have never said that! :doh:

I've never said 'he has £10m at his disposal' :doh:

And I've certainly never siad he should plough £10m into the club in January :doh:

I'm saying if he has earnt this amount in the year then why not reinvest the £1m received for Lita back into the team in January

• Admin

:doh::doh:

OMG! How many times dogboy????

If you're referring to me with this then I'm not saying he should plough it all in and have never said that! :doh:

I've never said 'he has £10m at his disposal' :doh:

And I've certainly never siad he should plough £10m into the club in January :doh:

I'm saying if he has earnt this amount in the year then why not reinvest the £1m received for Lita back into the team in January

Insults, nice to see the level you're coming from.

You have surely just contradicted yourself, you've "never said he has £10M at his disposal", but then you say if he has earnt this amount this year he should reinvest the £1M received for Lita.

The simple point that I have tried (unsuccessfully) to get accross, is that he hasn't earned £10M, just because his company has gone up in value, it doesn't mean he has that available in cash.

To be able to reinvest the money, would mean that he received it in the first place, he didn't the club did.

Insults, nice to see the level you're coming from.

You have surely just contradicted yourself, you've "never said he has £10M at his disposal", but then you say if he has earnt this amount this year he should reinvest the £1M received for Lita.

The simple point that I have tried (unsuccessfully) to get accross, is that he hasn't earned £10M, just because his company has gone up in value, it doesn't mean he has that available in cash.

To be able to reinvest the money, would mean that he received it in the first place, he didn't the club did.

Fair enough, that weren't meant to come across as an insult. Just well stressed at the moment because I got a load of work on at the moment so you got my full apologies Schutzhund.

I'm not contradicting myself at all. I've maintained my thoughts on this from the original post. Your point is understood by me, I know he hasn't got this £10m 'cash in hand' and that it is tied up in his assets. My point is, and I've said it on a reply to this post, why not sell a small share in one of those assets to raise the £1m the sale of Lita brought in? This would bring in transfer fees to potentially get us out of trouble with a few class signings and wouldn't it harm him personally, his family or the club!

Back to work. Sorry again

Just say for instance that a super rich fan wanted to put several million into the club to help it progress would you suggest they speak directly to the board or go through the supporters trust?

Not saying for one minute i have 5m knocking about to give to Gary in the new year, but if someone did it would be interesting to know how the ST could help use the money to better serve the club, than giving it straight to SL or buying yourself a place on the board.

If somone invested 5m into the ST, would this assure the ST a place on the board? how much money exactly do you think is needed to assure the ST a place on the board, that is what they are looking to do right?

I would suggest that they speak directly to the board because they'd need to weigh up the alternatives. If that individual wanted some control over their money they should be speaking to the Club. Someone putting £5M into the ST would have the same voting power as someone who had paid his first £1, so they have no control in return for their investment in the ST. If they wanted to make an outright gift with no strings attached then I'd argue the case for that donation to go to the ST (as we're a not-for-profit community based organisation) although I'd still recommend that they spoke to the board.

If the ST suddenly received £5M it would suggest to the board that we get the solicitors to draw up a new rights issue ASAP so that the money could go into the Club. At £2 per share we'd get 2.5M shares making us the single biggest shareholder but still a minority shareholder. We'd canvass members on how we'd like the money spent though my initial thoughts are that I'd personally like to see a significant proportion of it used to re-pay debts on Ashton Gate Stadium Ltd in return for the ground being transferred back to the Football Club. But I have to say that it's not something I've spent any time thinking about but I'd gladly do so if you have someone in mind with a spare £5M.

£5M would undoubtedly get a seat on the board. We don't need to raise that much, and although £0.5M was mentioned in my first meeting with SL in my second meeting he didn't want to set a financial target feeling that other factors such as how we operate were as important as cash. Clearly we have to raise a significant amount of money, but we also need to be representative of many to gain credibility. Which is why it's really important that everyone who wants the ST to be successful joins up.

• Admin

Fair enough, that weren't meant to come across as an insult. Just well stressed at the moment because I got a load of work on at the moment so you got my full apologies Schutzhund.

I'm not contradicting myself at all. I've maintained my thoughts on this from the original post. Your point is understood by me, I know he hasn't got this £10m 'cash in hand' and that it is tied up in his assets. My point is, and I've said it on a reply to this post, why not sell a small share in one of those assets to raise the £1m the sale of Lita brought in? This would bring in transfer fees to potentially get us out of trouble with a few class signings and wouldn't it harm him personally, his family or the club!

Back to work. Sorry again

Apology accepted.

Selling a stake in his company is obviously a different propostion altogether and would be a matter for Steve, his business partner and family.

Its going to be difficult to progress the club without investment, but it might be pertinent to look back at 7 years of chucking money towards the aim of getting promoted, it nearly worked, but didn't. Some of the 'stories' about the incoming journeymen being paid more than the local lads, the high salaries and often alledgedly inappropriate lifestyles funded by these salaries, have all contributed to the mess we find our selves in. The rights and wrongs of appointments and player comings and goings are a seperate, large and emotive subject, but the cause is IMHO the play-off final defeat.

The way the aftermath of the defeat was handled will draw many, many opinions, but there is no doubt that it hasn't been handled well and we continue to pay the price.

Guest C.T.I.D

If I had 10 million, would I chuck 50% of it at Swindon?

Of course not, don't be a prat. Possibly a few hundred gran to secure some new players but nothing else. It's up to the club as whole to generate finance, not some bloke with a fat wallet.

Archived