IGNORED

I Support Johnson But

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate

As I said I support johnson but he has nearly gone back to the team he took over, was he right to have so much up heavel or did he get it wrong.Should we have had all the loan players did this unsettle the squad and put us where we are today.

As I said I support johnson but he has nearly gone back to the team he took over, was he right to have so much up heavel or did he get it wrong.Should we have had all the loan players did this unsettle the squad and put us where we are today.

thats a very good question. all kinds of reasons why he did it but the primary one was that when GJ took over we had just lost 7-1. Equally by bringing those loanies in might have shaken the contract players into working harder. Whichever way we look at it we will never know; forwards not back now mate.

Guest ashtonyate

thats a very good question. all kinds of reasons why he did it but the primary one was that when GJ took over we had just lost 7-1. Equally by bringing those loanies in might have shaken the contract players into working harder. Whichever way we look at it we will never know; forwards not back now mate.

To be fair to Tin man The side we played at Swansea we were alway going to have a problem with the two centre halfs and Trundle

To be fair to Tin man The side we played at Swansea we were alway going to have a problem with the two centre halfs and Trundle

a problem is one thing but i doubt you or anybody else considered we would get pummelled quite so emphatically. if there is one thing we have to do this season it is to exorcise that result by thrashing those boys at the gate - that will be one hell of a match and atmosphere not least because the swans fans will for sure goad us to our limits.

He came in.........shock up a few of the senior pro's put them in the place, they didn't like it, so they got dropped, others have been injured or just unfit.

Now we have key players like Heywood and Russell back to full fitness as well, we are reaping the benefit.

Johnson's shake up was needed, but has done the trick.........the last 2 games have proved that

He came in.........shock up a few of the senior pro's put them in the place, they didn't like it, so they got dropped, others have been injured or just unfit.

Now we have key players like Heywood and Russell back to full fitness as well, we are reaping the benefit.

Johnson's shake up was needed, but has done the trick.........the last 2 games have proved that

absolutely and looks like you have answered your original question.

Johnsons "shake up" cost City a record number of back to back defeats.Thats the fact of the matter.His loan signings,almost constant team changes and dropping of key players have lead City to be one from bottom in a dire league and out of all the potentially lucrative cup competitions.

From here on in City are facing a relegation battle and all because Johnson wanted to show a few militant players who is boss.Thats a very heavy price to pay for what is nothing more than dressing room politics.

Mid table mediocraty is best City can hope for this season - and thats if we are lucky.

I think bringing the loan players has made the players look at them selfs, and try even harder in training and games, to make sure that they aren't going to be heading for the exit door, i think johnson has got the players going now, they have showed that in the last two performances, and if they keep performing like that, we won't have any trouble surviving the drop.

absolutely and looks like you have answered your original question.

Not necessarily, he's a different poster. :doh:

From here on in City are facing a relegation battle and all because Johnson wanted to show a few militant players who is boss.Thats a very heavy price to pay for what is nothing more than dressing room politics.

We already had a poor and underperforming team in a relegation position when GJ took over.

Something had to give - would you really rather " a few militant players" had won the day? :dunno:

Something had to give - would you really rather " a few militant players" had won the day? :dunno:

My point is that there are other ways of dealing with militantancy other than using "hand grenades" and waving the big stick.

Tact and man management skills for example.

Guest Harry Dolman

My point is that there are other ways of dealing with militantancy other than using "hand grenades" and waving the big stick.

Tact and man management skills for example.

He brought in Sankofa as Heywood was injured, Younga came in following the arrests. Quinn was a short term repl'ment for the injured Brooker. Few of us have seen enough of Joesph to comment & Basso has done ok.

If the loan players are to blame for the poor run, who was to blame for the poor form at the start of the season ??

Johnsons "shake up" cost City a record number of back to back defeats.Thats the fact of the matter.His loan signings,almost constant team changes and dropping of key players have lead City to be one from bottom in a dire league and out of all the potentially lucrative cup competitions.

Mid table mediocraty is best City can hope for this season - and thats if we are lucky.

Robbored,

fair points, but did Johnson do the right thing?? Obviously if he now loses his next 5 then we really are in the chicken soup, however I think if the dressing room politics have been sorted out then this is the BEST thing GJ could have done. For years we have had players going out and getting rat arsed whenever they want, recently we've had 4 players in trouble with the police and supposedly players like Hill and Tommy left because of disagreements with management (however that's just speculation)

Hopefully Johnson has now got eeryone pulling in the right direction, otherwise we could end up in a similar state to a few years a go (I wish I had my 100 years or City with me now) can't remember when but I think it was the ex Northern Ireland manager and we had two factions one for and one against (obviously!). To the extent when we scored only certain players would congratulsate you.

As I said if Johnson has got us all pulling in the right direction then 5th from bottom beckons!!

The 10 day gap leading upto the Bradford game came at just the right time.Injured players like Heywood and Russell recovered,Brooker got back to full fitness and Johnson brought Woodman back from Torquay.

It was obvious that Johnson had finally managed to pick the right team on Tuesday night.Despite the defeat the performance was the best for ages and that form carried into Saturday with City eventually halting the run of defeats.

I don't know who deserves the credit for the upturn in form.I'm just happy things are looking more promising.

... for which senior players are wholly to blame - they cost Tinnion his job, they stuck two fingers up to Johnson and it has taken two months for them to start working as hard as he knew they needed to.

Fair play to Johnson for standing his ground and getting so many of them to refocus on what is best for their careers. Why on earth would any fan have wanted him to let the cosy club rule the roost?

Guest Harry Dolman

... for which senior players are wholly to blame - they cost Tinnion his job, they stuck two fingers up to Johnson and it has taken two months for them to start working as hard as he knew they needed to.

Fair play to Johnson for standing his ground and getting so many of them to refocus on what is best for their careers. Why on earth would any fan have wanted him to let the cosy club rule the roost?

I find it amazing (maybe its down to personal friendships) how certain posters align themselves to a manager/player (or former) etc. The same people that supported Tinnion for acting tough last, season, now slate Johnson for doing the same.

Guest Harry Dolman

Done the trick !!!

One win in 10 after losing 9 on the bounce - yep, that did the trick ok, landed us bottom of the league.

We are almost back to square one in terms of selections and it's already looking a lot brighter.

He screwed it up big time and has now resorted to players who want to be here and see their future here, rather than mercenaries and lads wanting to get some league experience.

He's accepted his mistake by the selections he is now making, and as someone said - lets look forward now..

of course its ridiculous to claim we have turned the corner after 1 victory. Lets see where we are in Feb.

But i still maintain a lot of the loans were due to injuries. Other than the loans of Woody, Gilly & Younga I don't think he made any massive mistakes or screwed up big time.

He screwed it up big time and has now resorted to players who want to be here and see their future here, rather than mercenaries and lads wanting to get some league experience.

That's a contradiction. How can you say Johnson 'screwed it up' now that he has managed to separate the men from the boys as it were in the City squad?

I think what he did was spot on, and that in the long-term we will reap the rewards.

That's a contradiction. How can you say Johnson 'screwed it up' now that he has managed to separate the men from the boys as it were in the City squad?

I think what he did was spot on, and that in the long-term we will reap the rewards.

I quite agree. The short-sighted view of some of our supporters never ceases to amaze me - they might find today's Daily Telegraph enlightening!

exactly. i hurt like everyone else when we lose, but GJ has set out his plans for bristol city as soon as he walked in the door. there are deeper issues than simply team selection at bristol city and GJ has vowed to deal with them and build for the future. simply getting results is a very different thing than changing an entire clubs mentality. and i for one say roll on the Johnson era.

Johnson won 3 out of 4 games when he came in. An incredible turn around in the clubs fortunes. After that run 3 players got themselves arrested. This showed Johnson a lot about the club and he had to deal with this very strongly. We are only just recovering from this now and will be all the better for it.

What an unusually well researched and perceptive piece on lower division football in a National newspaper, which is 100% correct, too.

Intresting to note that GJ comments on the bit about the grenade meaning all the players could tell their agents to look for new clubs in January.

The only place I saw that was on here.. so he's obviously still reading :ph34r:

Guest Harry Dolman

I still don't think the Tinnion team was THAT bad. Other than the back 4.

But Rich, you didn't see other teams routinely boss our midfield for the prev 18 months.....

But Rich, you didn't see other teams routinely boss our midfield for the prev 18 months.....

Midfield has been the main problem for a long time. The fact that we have no one to win the midfield battel meant the defence was constantly under pressure. Wilkshire is good at home but away is usually quite poor. Murray is past it for me- good squad player but not quite up to it week in week out. On the left we have no-one. Tinnion had to play some games last season and he struggled to do this whilst managing. Dinning was good for a few games, quite poor thereafter. This season I can't remember a game where we have won the midfield battle. If we had a better midfield then the defence wouldn't have to work overtime. But it does help to have someone in goal who can come out and catch the ball to relieve the pressure.

And that actually about sums it up...We needed a shake up and that doesn't necessarily mean get rid of players but make them earn their wages.

We are now tackling and winning 50-50's and don't look like a soft touch...The two guys in the middle of the park wont allow themselves to be over run and we have two pacey in form wingers...

Whether there was ever any question of City players spending to much time in the bar I don't know... but there certainly is not now.

Marcus and Steve Brooker looked like a combo on Saturday and we looked "relatively" solid the back....

Lets just hope we can maintain the momentum and not pick up the injuries you tend to when players are asked to up their tempo

Guest ashtonyate

By The way the poster have said on this subjected it seems they mostly think he was right to disrupt the team to bring in more disapline to the squad.

But there are 2 ways to do that the hand grenade or the stick and carrot approach I am not sure he pick the right one, we may have won saturday but we are a long way from being out of the wood yet

Archived