IGNORED

Tony Thorpe

Bcfc3660

I was told the complete opposite in the summer. Grant Smith is good and Heywood is ###### they said round here.

Yep, you'll hear no complaints from me there, I honestly thought and said out loud that Smith would do the business for you lot.

Heywood is a rock.

Really? Do you honestly believe he's been as solid as a rock?

Yep, I've said it many times but he's been our best player along with Brooker this season.

We look SO much more organised and solid when he's in there.

Thankyou very much for him, for nothing. :)

I agree. Apart from one game Heywood has been pretty much what I expected and what we needed. Some big bloke to head it away. If the rest of the team stuck to their task like him and Brooker, possibly Wilkshire, then we would be top not bottom 6.

Guest yateady

Tony Thorpe, probably City's most influential player of the last decade.After spending a year under 3 different managers was immeadiately summoned back to the club by the 3 wise-men and almost single -handledly navigated the club away from the Pulisite regression period.The only reliable source of goals for the next 3 seasons in which he scored more goals for the club than all other strikers combined during his tenure: Akinbiyi,Jones,Beadle,Meacham,Roberts,Peacock,Brown,Spencer,Odejayi,Matthews,Pinamonte,Kid on loan from B.ham.......etc

Absolutely invaluable to Danny Wilson his goals enabled the club to achieve a level of stability whilst the nucleus of a new younger City side took shape,Phillips,Coles,Brown,Doherty,Hill,Hulbert,Clist,and whilst the Pulis expensive injury prone non performing journeymen gradually departed and retired:Millen,Mortimore,Jones,Beadle,Mercer,Holland,(Matthews ?),& Burns(the next Roy Keane).

In addition to being the catalyst of stability in the league he also scored crucial cup goals paving the way for record LDV revenue for our club from the final and a quarter million pound pay day at Leicester in the F.A.cup.

An interesting additional dimension of his footballing talents was that not only was he fleet-footed he was also play quick-witted and constantly won penalties, particularly noteworthy for after he left us we went nearly a season without being awarded one.

Awarded the highest honour in his industry by his fellow pro's as the best player in his position,sadly never fully appreciated by many City fans who perhaps had become accustomed to a diet of hard-working jouneymen strikers :Nugent,Baird,Torpey etc.Although perhaps wide spread knowledge that he was indeed well paid was a source of psycological discontent to many fans unacustomed to the salaries enjoyed by pro. soccer players.

I agree with you, Thorpe's been a proven goalscorer throughout his career, Not being sucessfull at Swindon is hardly a surprise with the resources they have, I still maintain that if Thorpe would of stayed with us for a few more seasons we would of got promoted, unfortunately some fans look back at Thorpe for being lazy and not his goalscoring achievements, I think a fully fit Thorpe could still be an excellent partnership with brooker, and if Bridges, Stewart and co. are offloaded in january as quoted in some quaters then we could do a lot worse. I would've of thought his wages wouldn't be a problem as he is now the wrong side of thirty, this may appease some fans for the salary he was on the last time he played for us!.

I agree with you, Thorpe's been a proven goalscorer throughout his career, Not being sucessfull at Swindon is hardly a surprise with the resources they have, I still maintain that if Thorpe would of stayed with us for a few more seasons we would of got promoted, unfortunately some fans look back at Thorpe for being lazy and not his goalscoring achievements, I think a fully fit Thorpe could still be an excellent partnership with brooker, and if Bridges, Stewart and co. are offloaded in january as quoted in some quaters then we could do a lot worse. I would've of thought his wages wouldn't be a problem as he is now the wrong side of thirty, this may appease some fans for the salary he was on the last time he played for us!.

If he really has something to offer then yes...... but a big attitude makeover and very low wages

I can't see big shot TT coming back can you........ judge with your head?

There has to be a better option out there, younger and wants to make a mark????

is that TT....... no I don't think so :(

Guest yateady

If he really has something to offer then yes...... but a big attitude makeover and very low wages

I can't see big shot TT coming back can you........ judge with your head?

There has to be a better option out there, younger and wants to make a mark????

is that TT....... no I don't think so :(

Yes there probably are better options and younger players out there, but these cost money, We could of signed Tyson from Wycombe for £500k in the summer, that price has doubled now he's gone to forest, Holt will cost in the region of £200k, Hayter at bournemouth would most likely be the same, What I'm saying is we could sign Thorpe until the end of the season, with the option of if he did well we could extend for the following season. A bloke i would go all out for if we were to splash the cash would be Parkin at Ipswich, but he's out injured. Apparently he's getting stick off of their fans and hasn't settled ???.

Archived