IGNORED

Reflections On Huddersfield

Port Said Red

OK, first of all Huddersfield were understrength but what about City? Could we have imagined such a good performance without Scott Brown AND Luke Wilkshire 2 months ago?

I was very worried about our position after Tuesday, not only did we lose playing well (which is obviously the opposite of what good teams do) but I was worried that the players would react badly to Johnsons ethos that hard work would bring rewards when they get a kick in the teeth like that.

It didn't work out like that though, OK Town had a lot of possession in the 1st half but we defended well and I thought Carey had one of his best games at centre half against Abbott. If he and Heywood stay fit Partridge may struggle to get back in.

Basso, made a couple of good saves, appears to have excellent positional sense and commanded his area.

Bradley Orr has started a lot of games well recently, then makes a mistake which the crowd jump on and then seems to fall apart. This time no glaring mistakes and a solid performance against a top rated winger. Woodman also had a solid game, definitely not one to panic is our Craig even if sometimes that might be the better option!

Murray scored of course, but I wish he would stop pulling out of challenges! :@ Someone should tell him he is more likely to get injured by not going into tackles in a committed fashion.

Cotts goal made up for some headless chicken stuff in the 1st half, and it was ironic that he got better when they took the fat boy full back off!

Russell still looks short of match practice and was chasing shadows for an hour, but gradually started to "effect the game".

Noble I felt was a revelation, he looked a passable player on Tuesday but he actually ran the game for most of the second half on Saturday. He tackled well, supported players with the ball and made some passes of real quality particularly to set Cotterill away a few times. Everything of real quality came through him. More please!

Brooker was, well....Brooker his workrate is unbelievable at times, he is always available and his control improves all the time.

Now then who does that leave.... aahhh yes Mr "City 'til I die" Stewart. I criticised him on Tuesday for working hard everywhere but in and around the penalty area where he should be, and I was also worried that the other players didn't seem to be prepared to work with him.

Saturday was definitely better 1st half was OK apart from missing a free header. But in the second half he really got into things, linked well with players in around the box and made some really intelligent runs which created space for others.

In short, a top strikers performance (apart from the goal) which was rewarded by staying on the pitch for 90+ minutes, how he managed this despite elbowing his marker twice in 20 seconds I'm not quite sure but that's the change in luck the team need.

So, to answer my own question, I don't think this is a false dawn because you could physically see the confidence returning. I would think that repeated effort like that would get us enough points to keep us ticking over until the transfer window. One things for sure, I have rarely seen an Ashton Gate crowd throw themselves so wholeheartedly behind the team we seem to sense now that we all want the same thing.

Come on you reds!!

Guest Harry Dolman

OK, first of all Huddersfield were understrength but what about City? Could we have imagined such a good performance without Scott Brown AND Luke Wilkshire 2 months ago?

I was very worried about our position after Tuesday, not only did we lose playing well (which is obviously the opposite of what good teams do) but I was worried that the players would react badly to Johnsons ethos that hard work would bring rewards when they get a kick in the teeth like that.

It didn't work out like that though, OK Town had a lot of possession in the 1st half but we defended well and I thought Carey had one of his best games at centre half against Abbott. If he and Heywood stay fit Partridge may struggle to get back in.

Basso, made a couple of good saves, appears to have excellent positional sense and commanded his area.

Bradley Orr has started a lot of games well recently, then makes a mistake which the crowd jump on and then seems to fall apart. This time no glaring mistakes and a solid performance against a top rated winger. Woodman also had a solid game, definitely not one to panic is our Craig even if sometimes that might be the better option!

Murray scored of course, but I wish he would stop pulling out of challenges! :@ Someone should tell him he is more likely to get injured by not going into tackles in a committed fashion.

Cotts goal made up for some headless chicken stuff in the 1st half, and it was ironic that he got better when they took the fat boy full back off!

Russell still looks short of match practice and was chasing shadows for an hour, but gradually started to "effect the game".

Noble I felt was a revelation, he looked a passable player on Tuesday but he actually ran the game for most of the second half on Saturday. He tackled well, supported players with the ball and made some passes of real quality particularly to set Cotterill away a few times. Everything of real quality came through him. More please!

Brooker was, well....Brooker his workrate is unbelievable at times, he is always available and his control improves all the time.

Now then who does that leave.... aahhh yes Mr "City 'til I die" Stewart. I criticised him on Tuesday for working hard everywhere but in and around the penalty area where he should be, and I was also worried that the other players didn't seem to be prepared to work with him.

Saturday was definitely better 1st half was OK apart from missing a free header. But in the second half he really got into things, linked well with players in around the box and made some really intelligent runs which created space for others.

In short, a top strikers performance (apart from the goal) which was rewarded by staying on the pitch for 90+ minutes, how he managed this despite elbowing his marker twice in 20 seconds I'm not quite sure but that's the change in luck the team need.

So, to answer my own question, I don't think this is a false dawn because you could physically see the confidence returning. I would think that repeated effort like that would get us enough points to keep us ticking over until the transfer window. One things for sure, I have rarely seen an Ashton Gate crowd throw themselves so wholeheartedly behind the team we seem to sense now that we all want the same thing.

Come on you reds!!

Without sounding too much like a pansy, it is interesting that following the "town boy" incident (copyright Bristol Boy) the bond between then players & fans seemed to disappear - & the losing run ensued. During the 2nd half of the Chesterfield game it was as though collectively the crowd thought "hang on, this is serious, we really could go down" & from that point the crowd responded to the players & in turn the players have gradually put in better performances.

I'm not saying this is the reason for the change in fortunes but it is interesting.

Hopefully we can build on it against Vale, but possibly more importantly, when we do lose again (which we will) we need to not capitulate, show some composure & bounce back as quickly as possible. Confidence is a fragile thing, whilst the team are no doubt buzzing right now, if we lost on Sat we could be back to square 1 (or bottom place!). The bouncing back thing is critically important over the festive season with a lot of games crammed into a few games.

A good post Hornbeam.

I too wondered how we would cope without wilkshire when I heard the team news. Before the 'Townboy' incident Brown was the player I didn't want to miss a game. But we took our win without either of them and looked like a TEAM for once.

I thought we ground out the win, the players and the fans, because of what happened on Tuesday. the defeat was cruel and undeserved. Yes it could have gone the other way, heads down and looking for the 10th defeat, but whether it was the crowd getting the players going or the players giving the crowd something to sing about, it worked!!!

The early goal did settle us, and how Murray was so delighted to have scored. You could tell what the club means to him. He thrives on confidence and there were many glimpses of the old murray that has been so rare lately.

Carey looked assured alongside Heywood, keep him there please. Orr and Woodman did their jobs, not withourt error but at least the defence looks more settled and have more understanding than they have shown all season. Impressed with Basso, who did everything he was asked to and the players infront of him seem to have responded.

I won't go through all the other players as it will be only repeating what has already been said, but Noble on his showing so far is a must buy. I thought he made the difference and if I didn't know he looked like he had come from the Championship not the division below!

Guest PapaLazarou

what about cole skuse in that list. who would have thought we could win a game without him?

A good post Hornbeam.

II thought we ground out the win, the players and the fans, because of what happened on Tuesday. the defeat was cruel and undeserved.

Spot on. City played well enough on Tuesday night to give the players confidence going into Saturdays game.

The early goal did settle us, and how Murray was so delighted to have scored. You could tell what the club means to him. He thrives on confidence and there were many glimpses of the old murray that has been so rare lately.

Right again, but Cotterill stole the show imo.Its good to have two wingers who can cause so much damage.

Carey looked assured alongside Heywood, keep him there please. Orr and Woodman did their jobs, not withourt error but at least the defence looks more settled and have more understanding than they have shown all season. Impressed with Basso, who did everything he was asked to and the players infront of him seem to have responded.

Noble and Russell also provided some protection to the back line which obviously helps in keeping clean sheets.All the front players tracked back well and Brooker cleared at least two headers from the City box that I can remember.It was a an all round good display by a team that played as a team.

Robbored, you're right about Cotterill of course. I can't explain it very well but you know there's a whole bright future ahead of him and he has bags of potential. He is exciting and plays for the shirt, you can't ask for more than that.

With Murray I was beginning to wonder if we were ever again going to see him play even half as good as he used to. So for me it was more of a relief that 'Murray is back' than anything else! To see his face after scoring and how much it meant was quite emotional!!!

He is a senior pro who the youngsters would look to for guidance and help, especially when times are tough. Until now it seems everyone were caught up in their individual troubles and didn't seem to be giving that help, or it wasn't affecting the game! :dunno: When players like Murray lift their games everyone around him responds, players and fans alkike. But the opposite happens when they don't.

Brooker, I wasn't a great fan of his until this season strangely enough! He has been much improved, not his goal scoring but his all round game. His 1st touch is much, much better and he always puts the effort in. There also seemed to be the glimmers of some sort of understanding with him and Stewart developing, or maybe i'm just seeing through those rose tined glasses again! :D

I think the players can take the fact that they 'can do it' away from the match, and the fans liked what they saw. Ok we aren't going to win every match from now on, but we aren't going to loose 9 on the bounce again either!

Without sounding too much like a pansy, it is interesting that following the "town boy" incident (copyright Bristol Boy) the bond between then players & fans seemed to disappear - & the losing run ensued. During the 2nd half of the Chesterfield game it was as though collectively the crowd thought "hang on, this is serious, we really could go down" & from that point the crowd responded to the players & in turn the players have gradually put in better performances.

I'm not saying this is the reason for the change in fortunes but it is interesting.

Hopefully we can build on it against Vale, but possibly more importantly, when we do lose again (which we will) we need to not capitulate, show some composure & bounce back as quickly as possible. Confidence is a fragile thing, whilst the team are no doubt buzzing right now, if we lost on Sat we could be back to square 1 (or bottom place!). The bouncing back thing is critically important over the festive season with a lot of games crammed into a few games.

the role the crowd have played in the improved mood of late is definately not to be underestimated. in the early part of the season we used to turn up and criticise if we werent ahead by half time, now people realise that we have no divine right to anything and that the players need us and we need them. because we need to stick together as we are in danger of dropping into the basement it seems to of created a togetherness that hasnt always been there.

i beleive though that expectations were too high this year and last because of tinmans comments which bigged up the squad before a ball was even kicked.

also the lower crowds mean that there arent any fairweather fans at AG at present. hence the die hards join together and get behind the team. i think we would be better off without these cretens who just turn up when they sense glory :ph34r: although the club obviously needs their money.

anyway, lets all keep this support up and with the players effort levels of late we will be fine. :englandsmile4wf:

Guest Harry Dolman

With Murray I was beginning to wonder if we were ever again going to see him play even half as good as he used to. So for me it was more of a relief that 'Murray is back' than anything else! To see his face after scoring and how much it meant was quite emotional!!!

He is a senior pro who the youngsters would look to for guidance and help, especially when times are tough. Until now it seems everyone were caught up in their individual troubles and didn't seem to be giving that help, or it wasn't affecting the game! :dunno: When players like Murray lift their games everyone around him responds, players and fans alkike. But the opposite happens when they don't.

I sometimes wonder if we are a little too hard on Murray (& I am guilty of that). He is probbaly our joint top scorer so far, so its only 5, but if a midfielder gets double figures for the season that is usually sufficient.

We all want the 28 goal machine of a few years back, I don't think that will happen but at least his confidence is high. Personally I am not a fan of playing right footed players on the left, but short term it could be ok as Scott can cut in & get some decent shots in.

Cotterrill has bags of talent but we need to not rely too heavily on him, it may well be a good few seasons till we see him at his best. My slight concern is that i don't know if anyone knows what his best position is.

Guest december 1963

Just a quick comment on a few points on this thread. Huddersfield were a bit understrength, yes, though they still had Abbott and Booth. But tough - they had three players sent off in the last two games. Clearly they lack discipline and aren't as strong in depth as they hoped. Which means we might not be as far behind as some make out.

7 league defeats in a row is awful, there's no disguising that, but we aren't the rubbish cannon fodder some have been saying. Player for player I still think we are much better than a lot of teams in this division - but we haven't played well as a team.

I think the next 8 matches now are mostly against bottom half teams and the supporters have got their singing voice back. When you get to the bottom the only way you can go is back up so, if we can finally show some consistency, you might find the next couple of months a bit more enjoyable.

O and I reckon Steve Brooker has been massive long before this season. I was at Colchester last year when we won 2-0 and he was captain - he was on our own goalline with a minute to go ensuring there was no way back for them. I can't believe people have ever questioned his commitment and skill - still it's all about opinions. Mine is that by the end of January we won't be in the bottom 4. And since we can beat the likes of Huddersfield - probably the most important victory at AG for quite a while - who knows what next

O and I reckon Steve Brooker has been massive long before this season. I was at Colchester last year when we won 2-0 and he was captain - he was on our own goalline with a minute to go ensuring there was no way back for them. I can't believe people have ever questioned his commitment and skill - still it's all about opinions. Mine is that by the end of January we won't be in the bottom 4. And since we can beat the likes of Huddersfield - probably the most important victory at AG for quite a while - who knows what next

I'm not saying that Brooker wasn't 'massive' before now as he certainly is that! I think that is partly why I had the problem with him to be honest. He is a big lump of a player who other players typically play hoofball to. Not the type of game I like to watch really, but if it needs players like that to get us up and out of this division so be it!

However , like I said he has improved. He is playing football and still being that big lump that defenders are having difficulties against. He offers a lot more as a teamplayer now and definately raises his game when he is captain. He too is only young and i do tend to forget that as he looks 10 years older than he is! I actually quite like him now, there you are I've said it! :D Some people loved him straight away, I just took a while longer than some!

Archived