IGNORED

Phillips To Southampton ?

surreyred

Various speculation on BBC football site that Antti NIEMI will be on the move from Southampton in January, with Charlton and Everton intrested.

Given the contact between GJ and Southampton earlier in the year and BASSO suddenly getting games could it be that our Steve is on the move ??????

Guest Harry Dolman

Given the contact between GJ and Southampton earlier in the year and BASSO suddenly getting games could it be that our Steve is on the move ??????

What contact ???

Old rumour, although I think SP will leave for around 300k mark, despite the testimonial.

GJ will need money to fund signings because they'll need to be much better than the loans to make an impact and take this club where it wants to be.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a cut price exit for Wilkshire, another player who should have been transferred or signed a new contract a year ago.

The £250k fee invested in him will be difficult to recoup with only months left on his contract.

Old rumour, although I think SP will leave for around 300k mark, despite the testimonial.

GJ will need money to fund signings because they'll need to be much better than the loans to make an impact and take this club where it wants to be.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a cut price exit for Wilkshire, another player who should have been transferred or signed a new contract a year ago.

The £250k fee invested in him will be difficult to recoup with only months left on his contract.

well phillips did say he is looking for a premiership club for his testimonial.........so I wouldn't be suprised, if although he leaves part of the deal is that he has a testmonial game put in as part of the transfer, i.e.... who ever he joins agrees to a pre-season game next season.........kinda

Guest Harry Dolman

In principle I agree, but in the current ££ climate a lot of clubs let a players contract run out & then decide if they can renew/at what terms, depending on which league they're in.

At the time we got Wilkshire in, we were looking up to the CCC, that combined with him coming from the Prem would suggest to me that he is on top dollar wages. I doubt if we could have enticed him to sign a new contract in the summer & as far as I am aware there has been no real interest in him.

I like him as a player & he certainly has talent, but he does have a nasty habit of disappearing when things get tough, that combined with the prospect of him being unavailable when with Oz mean I won't be too disappointed if he goes.

Guest REDCIDERARMY

He would love to get the 400 games played for City,but I have a feeling he has seen his last days as te nos1 keeper unfortunately say good bye and good luck to Steve in the Jan

Phillips probably isn't good enough for the Championship and certainly not good enough for the Premiership. If the Saints pay good money for him then City should bite their hand off - but why would a club like S'hampton be interested in a 'keeper who can't get into his own club side and that in a lower division.

Its all wild speculation.

Phillips probably isn't good enough for the Championship and certainly not good enough for the Premiership. If the Saints pay good money for him then City should bite their hand off - but why would a club like S'hampton be interested in a 'keeper who can't get into his own club side and that in a lower division.

All true, but Southampton might see him as a good number two keeper, and he is still reasonably young and a diffrent coach might be able to improve his game.

I agree this is wild speculation, but thats the whole fun of the forum.

Billy Mercer

now he was a good keeper. best i've seen for us (but i am young!)

i agree phillips, if he leaves, will not be worth anything like 300K. most likely under 100K with something if he moves on elsewhere. personally would like to see him back in the side, but if basso continues to perform well into january, and/or another keeper arrives, i wouldn't be at all surprised if he moved.

Didn't Paul Smith who is Southampton's number 2 command a reasonably large fee, i cannot quite remember it but I think it was larger than 300k. However he was in Brentford's first team and keeping them up almost single handedly at the time so probably not a good comparison with Phillips.

Possibly, though i heard the Phillips to Southampton rumour from a mature City fan, not prone to rumour mongering, about a month ago. He had been told it first hand by someone connected to the club and he certainly wouldn't have made it up.

The change of manager at Saints may alter thing of course, though Bassett is still there.

Of course one reason for Phillips not playing could be that his transfer out of City is already a done deal, and this way it can't be scuppered by injury.

If he goes City will benefit to the tune of at least 250-300k. plus add ons.

Possibly, though i heard the Phillips to Southampton rumour from a mature City fan, not prone to rumour mongering, about a month ago. He had been told it first hand by someone connected to the club and he certainly wouldn't have made it up.

The change of manager at Saints may alter thing of course, though Bassett is still there.

Of course one reason for Phillips not playing could be that his transfer out of City is already a done deal, and this way it can't be scuppered by injury.

If he goes City will benefit to the tune of at least 250-300k. plus add ons.

If he goes for anything near that price tag, Southampton will have to have a scouting network much worse than city, and for an ex premiership club, i really doubt it. He will must likely go for an undisclosed fee, much like Tommy D. I cant see us getting more than 50k for him.

No it`s not. He has been told that he can go AFTER his testimonial - FACT

If he goes for anything near that price tag, Southampton will have to have a scouting network much worse than city, and for an ex premiership club, i really doubt it. He will must likely go for an undisclosed fee, much like Tommy D. I cant see us getting more than 50k for him.

Perhaps they rate him more highly than you and have noted his position of being one of the most highly rated kepers at our level for some time.

Can't see City selling at all unless it's convenient to us and that would mean a reasonable fee to reinvest.

Doherty is a different matter altogether. Despite being transfer listed, nobody except Hollowhead ever contemplated paying a fee for him and his undiclosed (small) fee reflected that.

Guest Harry Dolman

With all speculation on Phillips, with Shaaban gone we would be in a situation giving us only one keeper. Phillips has served this club well, like it or not having saved us from humiliation on a number of occasions. So we would need to replace him at what cost?

If you looked at many teams, their keeper "saved them from humiliation" a no. of times. Thats the keepers job really, to make saves.

Guest PapaLazarou

well i don't know about all you lot. but i'm now convinced

:doh:

Didn't Paul Smith who is Southampton's number 2 command a reasonably large fee, i cannot quite remember it but I think it was larger than 300k. However he was in Brentford's first team and keeping them up almost single handedly at the time so probably not a good comparison with Phillips.

paul smith was useless

that was the game when leroy came on and got two headers both went right next to smith

when i had heard about a week later that he moved to southampton i burst out laffin :laugh:

paul smith was useless

that was the game when leroy came on and got two headers both went right next to smith

when i had heard about a week later that he moved to southampton i burst out laffin :laugh:

Bad in one game. Top quality keeper normally. Played some blinders for Southampton too when givent he chance.

Perhaps they rate him more highly than you and have noted his position of being one of the most highly rated kepers at our level for some time.

Can't see City selling at all unless it's convenient to us and that would mean a reasonable fee to reinvest.

Doherty is a different matter altogether. Despite being transfer listed, nobody except Hollowhead ever contemplated paying a fee for him and his undiclosed (small) fee reflected that.

But Doherty was also highly rated when fit, and it wouldn't be the first time someone with a bad history in the game to have turned up at a new club and done well. Obviously some continue on the same road, but a fair few do turn it around.

Who would want a goalkeeper that gets dropped for a while, after playing constantly for about 2 years and more, starts to moan and call his manager bad names according to some eyewitnesses. I would love it if we got 300k for him, but sadly, i don't think we will.

Whats more convenient than selling a player who doesn't get along with the manager, we see it at all levels of the game.

Various speculation on BBC football site that Antti NIEMI will be on the move from Southampton in January, with Charlton and Everton intrested.

Who is going to sign a keeper who has such poor control of crosses and instills panic in to his centre halfs like Steve Phillips does.Certainly not a team desperate to get back to the Premiership.

Archived