IGNORED

Luke Wiltshire

Guest leepeacock's50phead

Yes, i think he was, but it was a good miss. Aerial challenges AND committed tackles in midfield - who knows, maybe GJ is building a team to compete in this division!

LW seems to be one of the only players to get pretty much unanimous backing on this forum, and don't get me wrong I'm the first to applaud one of his raking crossfield balls and jump up and down when he curls in a frrekick from the edge of the area or scores from the halfway line. BUT and it is a big but in my book, he just doesnt have the fight in him to help us in the push for promotion.

Why?

1. He's not too keen on heading the ball

Not the only one of the team who has this particular attribute (Scott Murray is another)

2. He doesn't particularly like tackling either

errrr as above

3. His positional sense is poor

For an international player, he's not too bright when asked to play on the left wing. He still makes chances for himself but tends to drift inside making it a 3 man central midfield. Being a natural winger, SM performed this task well I thought on Tuesday.

I know SM doesnt like heading (don't think i would after the injury he had but he was no shaun taylor before it!) or tackling either but he is a winger, so in my book can be somewhat forgiven. However in a division in which effort and the ability to get stuck in count for so much, it is imperitive in the centre of midfield.

I think Noble had a fine game on tuesday, the first tough tackling midfielder we've had since tommy and although still a bit rusty, I like the look of Russell too.

So is there a place in the centre of midfield for LW? In a true GJ team, I'd be surprised.

Before dropping out of the Huddersfield game he was on the wing suggesting that Noble and Russell are ahead of him in the pecking order and with Skuse and Brown to return, we are a bit top heavy in that area anyway.

So thats his favourite position looking a bit dodge, so how about on the wing?

I don't like him out there for the reason mentioned above and should we ever buy (and actually play) another left footed wide player he will be competing with Murray, Cotts, any other GJ buys in January and the inevitable emergence of a new winger from the acedemy production line for the right wing position.

I know there are a lot of LW fans on the forum, so where is he going to cement his place in the side? would it be seen as a backward step if we sold him in January?

answers on a postcard...........

I think Noble has made a tremedous difference with his tacking and fiery attitude.In the two games he's played the opposition midfield has met some resistance at long last and along with Russell the two of them look a good combination.Russell is short of games having been out since August but will get better as his match fitness improves and I can see them both being very influencial over the the rest of the season.

The question is - where does Wilkshire,with his undoubted quality, fit in?

Obviously, the matter lies with Johnson and what formation he prefers to play. If the last two games are anything to go by then 4-4-2 is his preferred method and at AG two wide men in Cotterill and Murray provide that extra cutting edge and its hard to see where Wilkshire could fit unless a 3-5-2 is adopted.It could be argued that the same principle applies away from home.

Who'd be a manager, eh? :dunno:

I think Noble has made a tremedous difference with his tacking and fiery attitude.In the two games he's played the opposition midfield has met some resistance at long last and along with Russell the two of them look a good combination.Russell is short of games having been out since August but will get better as his match fitness improves and I can see them both being very influencial over the the rest of the season.

The question is - where does Wilkshire,with his undoubted quality, fit in?

Perhaps there has been an offer made for Wilkshire and due to his contract being up in the summer, he'll be off - hence not making his selection much of a problem.

I think it's very likely that come January we will be Wilkshire-less :(

Perhaps there has been an offer made for Wilkshire and due to his contract being up in the summer, he'll be off - hence not making his selection much of a problem.

Maybe - but I hope not. I rate Wilkshire highly and I for one wouldn't want him to leave City.

but why is this a problem? what will we miss him for?

but why is this a problem? what will we miss him for?

Are you being serious? He's the best FOOTBALLER (possibly one of the only ones) at the club. Can pass, shoot and funnily play football rather than just play hit it and hope.

Are you being serious? He's the best FOOTBALLER (possibly one of the only ones) at the club. Can pass, shoot and funnily play football rather than just play hit it and hope.

so who does he replace in your team and why is he being played out of position by GJ?

by the way, your animated Tazs dance to Kasabian extremely well

so who does he replace in your team and why is he being played out of position by GJ?

At the moment the team is playing well, and LW hasn't played - Two good performances, one unlucky loss and a good win, you don't change a winning team unless your hand is forced by injury/suspension. So at the moment he can only expect a place on the bench - it's taken us too long to start getting performances, now is not a good time to change the side again.

by the way, your animated Tazs dance to Kasabian extremely well

:cool:

At the moment the team is playing well, and LW hasn't played - Two good performances, one unlucky loss and a good win, you don't change a winning team unless your hand is forced by injury/suspension. So at the moment he can only expect a place on the bench - it's taken us too long to start getting performances, now is not a good time to change the side again.

:cool:

I'm intrigued, if he is the best footballer at the club surely he should be 1st on the list each week

I'm not taking the p*ss mate, just interested in why other City fans rate him

I'm intrigued, if he is the best footballer at the club surely he should be 1st on the list each week

The reason people rate him is he one of the only central midfielder liable to score. He is also one of the only players that is capable of producing moments of quality. Alright Cotteril did it Saturday but Wilkshire is much more consistent. Away from home he isn't too great normally and doesn't like going to the little clubs where he will be muscled off the ball. Wouldn't be the end of the world to lose him but him, Brooker and Heywood have been the only three players consistently playing well for me this season.

The reason people rate him is he one of the only central midfielder liable to score. He is also one of the only players that is capable of producing moments of quality. Alright Cotteril did it Saturday but Wilkshire is much more consistent. Away from home he isn't too great normally and doesn't like going to the little clubs where he will be muscled off the ball. Wouldn't be the end of the world to lose him but him, Brooker and Heywood have been the only three players consistently playing well for me this season.

agreed - he can strike the ball well and has scored a few for us this season

so, who does he replace to get in the team?

Nah fair point, but who do you drop to make room for him?

Like I said previously though I seriously doubt he will be with us much longer anyway, and if GJ knows this, then I'd imagine that he wants to build a team with players that he knows are going to be here for the long haul - one reason that Phillips isn't in the team (supposedly I may add) is that he's off in January. At least Basso is having time to fit in and get to know the team, rather than be thrown in at the deep end.

Nah fair point, but who do you drop to make room for him?

Like I said previously though I seriously doubt he will be with us much longer anyway, and if GJ knows this, then I'd imagine that he wants to build a team with players that he knows are going to be here for the long haul - one reason that Phillips isn't in the team (supposedly I may add) is that he's off in January. At least Basso is having time to fit in and get to know the team, rather than be thrown in at the deep end.

I think if we could get anywhere near what we paid for him we should sell, sell, sell!!

I wouldn't miss Phillips either to be honest, the strikers must use up most of their energy chasing his wayward clearances.

Guest heathma

Sorry just to add a point to the above Wilkshire played on Tuesday against Bradford (got took off then Bradford scored) he only missed the Huddersfield game

Sorry just to add a point to the above Wilkshire played on Tuesday against Bradford (got took off then Bradford scored) he only missed the Huddersfield game

Thanks for clearing that one up, it was late laste night, I mean't the Saturday game.

not sure he would have stopped an own goal though

The best footballer at this and many of the other clubs at this level. Despite your earlier assertion he does tackle as well and would be a huge miss if he goes or is it not fit on Saturday. Only came off last Tuesday due to injury and was up to then our greatest threat, this was noted not just by me but but a group of 6 or so first time attenders around me.

I personally would put him alongside Noble, Russell is starting to get match fit but in the first half of both his games was chasing shadows. It's not a criticism, it's only to be expected after the injuries he's had. I would like to see how Noble and Wilkshire would play together I think they will be on the same wavelength.

The best footballer at this and many of the other clubs at this level. Despite your earlier assertion he does tackle as well and would be a huge miss if he goes or is it not fit on Saturday. Only came off last Tuesday due to injury and was up to then our greatest threat, this was noted not just by me but but a group of 6 or so first time attenders around me.

I personally would put him alongside Noble, Russell is starting to get match fit but in the first half of both his games was chasing shadows. It's not a criticism, it's only to be expected after the injuries he's had. I would like to see how Noble and Wilkshire would play together I think they will be on the same wavelength.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but Luke Wilkshire is unwilling to get stuck in with his tackling. If footballer means good at shooting and passing, then he may be the best at the club, but a midfielder needs to be a decent tackler too, and he is not.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but Luke Wilkshire is unwilling to get stuck in with his tackling. If footballer means good at shooting and passing, then he may be the best at the club, but a midfielder needs to be a decent tackler too, and he is not.

Someone quted on those statistics sites towards the end of last season that showed that Wilkshire was amongst the top ten for tackles completed in this division. I realise that statistics can be made to say anything but this does seem to suggest some consistency in this area.

It is not the strogest part of HIS game but he is not the weakest tackler by any means. Any would miss more of the good parts of his game than we lose by not having an out and out tackler.

If you could marry the two together I would suggest the result would not be playing for a team languishing at the bottom of league 1

Someone quted on those statistics sites towards the end of last season that showed that Wilkshire was amongst the top ten for tackles completed in this division. I realise that statistics can be made to say anything but this does seem to suggest some consistency in this area.

It is not the strogest part of HIS game but he is not the weakest tackler by any means. Any would miss more of the good parts of his game than we lose by not having an out and out tackler.

If you could marry the two together I would suggest the result would not be playing for a team languishing at the bottom of league 1

Interesting point about thoe stats which i wasn't aware of to be honest.

I just see him bottle out of 50-50s which is something a team in our division can ill afford.

Apart from his goals from Midfield, I don't think we would miss him if he left but football is all about opinions!

I meant a team in our position in this division

Archived