IGNORED

Problem Position?-i Think So

Redtrojan

First i'd like to say what a great performance,with better finishing it would have been a rout.Great substitutions and Fortune turned the game in the last few minutes.But problem position-Right wing.Goodfellow despite some important goals recently was dreadful today,didn't get past his man once(didn't take him on more than twice).That in itself is not a criticism of the guy, but he is not a right winger.I was very impressed with their right winger Rougier ,who gave woodman a very torrid afternoon-at 32 still got a few yrs left in the tank.Brown had a good game today and does get in those killer crosses from the touchline(millers goal being a good example),but with the two big guys up front we desperately need that supply from both wings.Roberts is such a hit or miss player,great one minute ,pants the next,so i don't think he's the answer.Goodfellow definately isn't the answer in the long term.So i hope we're keeping our eyes peeled to fill that gap,i am sure we will go up with the present team-but we won't get away with such a poor right side in the first div.

Goodfellow is the answer. He is class. You can't argue with 3 goals in 5 games, and he gives us something most left backs aren't used to facing, a left footed right winger, who cuts inside a lot. He reminds me of a fast Greg Goodridge.

Just because he had one average game today doesn't mean he's not a right winger. Look at Aaron Brown, he must have 3 dodgy games to one good game, and no-ones saying we need a new left midfielder. Give Goodfellow time and I think he will prove to be a bargain. When Murray first came to us he was being kept out of the side by Adam Locke! Nuff said I think

Guest wishbone

I agree Cider Red sam - Goodfellow is ONE of the answers certainly.

Danny has made brilliant signings and time will prove this one too, I think.

I personally will feel better when Roberts finally finds his niche: he's perfect or pants, so what's the answer?

I think we should give him a good spell of making the starting 11, or sell him.

I like him a lot and I'm not criticising his skill, but it's just not working as he's being used currently. He surely can't be happy at the moment.

To be honest I think it's ok at the moment because the standard of teams we are playing are not great. I think we'll definately need to buy an out-and-out right winger like Scott Murray if we go up.

Wilkshire and Freezer were both bought to fill Scotty's gap, and while Goodfellow has certainly made a better stab at it than Luke, he still doesn't see right wing as his prefered position.

Guest Friday The 13th

Well lets be honest bar his assist to Lita's goal, Roberts didn't get up to much did he? I actually like Roberts but he just seemed so disinterested, more intent on doing some fancy flick than playing the simple balls.

I think he should be given a full 90 minutes in one of the next few games, possibly Wrexham? Just to give him his chance because he isn't proving his worth in the mere 20 minute chances he is getting.

Unhappy - I would have thought he was absolutely raving sat on the bench yesterday when that prat Goodfellow did s#d all for an hour
Can't see what Goodfellow has done to deserve that kind of response. So he may not have had his best game, but as I think someone else said, give their defence some credit for that.

Goodfellow is part of the answer to the right wing slot - he is fast and can cross the ball as well as score goals - what more do you want? One average game doesn't make him a bad player!

What about givin` the Brentford left back

sum credit for keepin Goodfellow quite!

Were sure Brentford ad us watched leadin`

up to the game

That would be Ronnie bull who was on loan at yeovil for a couple of months earlier this season and then not kept on at div 3 level.You make a good second point,i do think we have been watched and i fear now that most teams will now know that goodfellow will cut inside most of the time making him easier to defend against-he has lost his suprise element.My comments are not suggesting that goodfellow has nothing to offer the team,just that i feel he is out of position on the right,How many crosses did he make yesterday(in a game where we had most of the possession),despite bobbys post above i don't recall one telling cross-i recall a poor miss,but thats about all.I am sure we will get away with things in this div,because it is very poor,but if we have any ambitions of competing in div1 then i feel we need players playing in their strongest positions and imo we need a n out and out right winger.Still happy how things are,just think we could be even better.

Unhappy - I would have thought he was absolutely raving sat on the bench yesterday when that prat Goodfellow did s#d all for an hour
Top Shout England!

Roberts may not be the answer on the right long term, however, he is the best option at present.

There were 2 key moments in the game yesterday involving wing play. The first was definitive proof that a winger with time and space near the by-line can deliver some real undefendable quality (Brown for Miller's goal).

The second was that a right-footed player can play a simple square 30 yard pass from the right hand side whilst running at pace (Roberts for Lita goal). What wouldv'e happened if Goodfellow was still on the pitch in this situation?

He would of either cut in making Lita's excellent run redundant or attempted the same pass with the inside of his left peg; more than likely getting cut out or played too far in front giving the keeper more chance of intercepting.

Goodfellow should be on the bench putting pressue on Aaron's place. He will always under-achieve (exactly as Wilkshire did) until he is played in a more natural position.

What is it I have to say from above when I can only see one side of an argument? Oh yeah. Nuff Said I think!

Sorry, Teepee, I think that's a disgraceful thing to say about Goodfellow. He's had one quitish game, but in the short time since he arrived, he's played some blinders and scored some absolutely crucial goals. You can't blame him for the position he plays in, that's the manager's decision. You can only ask that he does his best. I've not heard anyone suggest he's done anything than that, so what the hell has he done to warrant being called a "prat". Please tell me. I think it's totally unwarranted.

On another issue, full credit to Danny for making a game-winning substitution. He's cost us a few points over the years with inexplicable substitutions, but he seems to be firing on all cylinders at the moment, just like the team. Gone are the days of terrible team selection, stubbornly pairing up Tommy Doc and Joe, failing to motivate the team and bringing in awful loans and signings. We're now seeing him finally consistently select a team that resembles the best possible starting XI, play more flair in midfield to unlock defences, get the team up for it before each game and sign quality like Wilkshire and Goodfellow. The subtitution was the icing on the cake.

To my mind it shows that Danny WAS the weakest link earlier in the season. But now he's pulled up his socks, taken a reality check and put us firmly back in the hunt. And just like he deserved criticism a few months ago, he now deserves the credit.

First i'd like to say what a great performance,with better finishing it would have been a rout.Great substitutions and Fortune turned the game in the last few minutes.But problem position-Right wing.Goodfellow despite some important goals recently was dreadful today,didn't get past his man once(didn't take him on more than twice).That in itself is not a criticism of the guy, but he is not a right winger.I was very impressed with their right winger Rougier ,who gave woodman a very torrid afternoon-at 32 still got a few yrs left in the tank.Brown had a good game today and does get in those killer crosses from the touchline(millers goal being a good example),but with the two big guys up front we desperately need that supply from both wings.Roberts is such a hit or miss player,great one minute ,pants the next,so i don't think he's the answer.Goodfellow definately isn't the answer in the long term.So i hope we're keeping our eyes peeled to fill that gap,i am sure we will go up with the present team-but we won't get away with such a poor right side in the first div.
great result and game yes :(

the problem with goodfellow is the word has gone around that

he is the player to watch, brentford marked him out of the game

the same way scott murray used to be sometimes for city, but

but them sticking 2 on goodfellow it opened up the left side which

gave aaron brown more freedom in which the goal from miller came..

once goodfellow went off brentford thought the danger was over WRONG!

and they didn't mark roberts as well as they did goodfellow, by that roberts

got room to give lita a scoring chance... A GOOD DAY IF YOU ASK ME :D

but goodfellow will get games like that, he is a marked man now and goes

to show the respect this division will now show him...

Was he a prat in the previous games he's played for us? Was he a prat when he has put the ball in the net on the few occasions that he has played for us since signing?

You never fail to amaze me with some of your comments England.

• Admin

Might be worth keeping one eye on Leeds United's Jamie McMaster. He seems to be regularly putting in Man of the Match performances for Chesterfield whilst he's on loan there and I believe he is playing on the right wing. When Leeds get relegated they will undoubtedly go into administration and will be looking to get as many players off the books as possible given they will have debts greater than £100m by then. This would allow us to use Goodfella on his more natural side.

He's had one quitish game

Rather harsh there, RedTop! :D

Must agree with most of what you say there but feel that Neo's posting eloquently puts the major problem with Goodfellow. He's not a right winger. Until he was subbed we had no working width on the right. Whenever Goodfellow got the ball he cut in. His pace will always make him dangerous and his striking qualities will always make him excite the crowd. However when Roberts came on, we immediately had width on both sides and although Roberts gave his normal curates egg performance at least he was willing to stay right and use his pace. We were a better balanced attacking force.

So, so far we have bought two right wingers this season and still need a third. Oh and the Tinnion/Fortune substitution. The querious looks on the players faces said it all. Luckily for us after the game, Danny explained what he was doing (trying to mark Hutchinson out of the game) So when Fortune then does a Viera like attacking midfielder impression, is he playing contrary to orders!

I have yet to see Goodfellow have a good game and yesterday every decision he made was a wrong one including turning up - he failed in everything he did, constantly lost the ball, failed to beat a single player, failed to make a decent pass and oh yes, failed to get a lucky goal - perhaps someone can suggest something other that prat to sum that lot up.

I have yet to see Goodfellow have a good game and yesterday every decision he made was a wrong one including turning up - he failed in everything he did, constantly lost the ball, failed to beat a single player, failed to make a decent pass and oh yes, failed to get a lucky goal - perhaps someone can suggest something other that prat to sum that lot up.
Yet to see him have a good game?

Was that the first time that you have saw him play then?

Rather harsh there, RedTop!  :D

Must agree with most of what you say there but feel that Neo's posting eloquently puts the major problem with Goodfellow. He's not a right winger. Until he was subbed we had no working width on the right. Whenever Goodfellow got the ball he cut in. His pace will always make him dangerous and his striking qualities will always make him excite the crowd. However when Roberts came on, we immediately had width on both sides and although Roberts gave his normal curates egg performance at least he was willing to stay right and use his pace. We were a better balanced attacking force.

So, so far we have bought two right wingers this season and still need a third. Oh and the Tinnion/Fortune substitution. The querious looks on the players faces said it all. Luckily for us after the game, Danny explained what he was doing (trying to mark Hutchinson out of the game) So when Fortune then does a Viera like attacking midfielder impression, is he playing contrary to orders!

My post was in response to England's rather than Neo's, Graham B. What got my back up was not the argument over whether Goodfellow's bext position is, which Neo eloquently put, but England labelling of him as a prat.

There are arguments for and against Goodfellow on the right. I accept there is an argument that he is not a natural right-winger, and that we may get more out of him in other positions, but from my perspective the bottom line is that the results and the returns we've got from him out there in terms of goals etc can easily justify his selection. It's hard to criticize Danny's decision to play him in what has been a problem position since Murray left when the team is getting what we all want - a 100 per cent return on points.

England seems to be in a small minority in not having seen Goodfellow have a single good game. Regardless, it is not his fault he is in that position - and I repeat that nothing he's done warrants being called a "prat" by a City fan.

He's had one quitish game, but in the short time since he arrived, he's played some blinders and scored some absolutely crucial goals.

Note to self:- Never comment on a journalists unfortunate typo's

Goodfellow was sussed by Brentford. Therefore assume he's been sussed by the division in general.

Solution. Coach him to go outside on occasion (his right is better than the Tinnion counter balance!) or play him in his more natural position. Surprise factor period is over (7.2.04)

RedTop, I may or may not be in the minority - this forum is a very small reflection of the Bristol City fan base - but you too are with me in not having seen him have a good game. In addition I ventured that someone - maybe you - would like to profer a description that fitted the facts I put before you - I note you declined.

And no Taz, that is not the first game I have seen him play and I do not rate him above Roberts in that attacking right sided position

Danny explained what he was doing (trying to mark Hutchinson out of the game) So when Fortune then does a Viera like attacking midfielder impression, is he playing contrary to orders!
What better way is there (other than on a stretcher ) to take someone out of a game than to take it to them?

"Natural footballer" per G20Man is right, and already signed-up until 2006!

RedTop, I may or may not be in the minority - this forum is a very small reflection of the Bristol City fan base - but you too are with me in not having seen him have a good game. In addition I ventured that someone - maybe you - would like to profer a description that fitted the facts I put before you - I note you declined.

And no Taz, that is not the first game I have seen him play and I do not rate him above Roberts in that attacking right sided position

From what I've seen on the extended highlights I'm impressed by Goodfellow, and the vast majority of comments about him on this forum and in the Press have been similarly favourable. It's on this basis that I suggest you're in the minority on this one, Teepee.

I'm looking forward to getting the chance to see him play in person when I'm home for the Wrexham game. In fact, there's a chance I'll make the Peterborough game on Saturday too.

I'd happily profer a description of Goodfellow that fits the facts better than "prat": A talented footballer who had a quiet game. (Note I put the 'e' in 'quiet this time, Graham B!) Even if you think a more apt description would be "A poor footballer who had never had a good game" then that is no reason to call him a "prat". That is the point I was making.

Can't argue with your measured response and hope you enjoy both games and if he is playing I hope Goodfellow gets at least a goal in each - but I won't hold my breath.
Great. I look forward to sharing a cider with you in the Red and White Bar before the Wrexham game (although come to think of it Tom and Huw will probably have me flogging Incider shirts).

Guest bemmyred

As stated in a recent posting regarding Aaron Brown the worrying thing with Goodfellow is that what confidence he had when he joined City is slowly eroding with every game he has played.

I wont be quite as scathing as England but I have yet to be impressed with him, although this is not his fault.

Wilson put him in the side as a right winger but in 4 games I have seen him play he has yet to put in a telling cross with his RIGHT foot.

He is definately not comfortable on that side and is making the opposing left backs job an easy one by constantly being one dimensional. (Where is this blinding pace, I have yet to see it apart from a spurt down the wing at Notts County.

A Stoke supporter on Twentymans phone in stated that Goodfellow had lots of potential but his one big downfall was his high ratio of misses in 1 on 1 situations. This was proved again on Saturday when a he tried an extravagant hook with his left foot instead of allowing the ball to come across him and use his right.

Despite 8 out of 8 wins the majority of these have been a struggle against mediocre sides, we need to have a more cutting edge going forward and definately control games for longer periods.

We have to get the best from our players, as has been proved since the moving of Wilkshire to the middle(Brentford apart), so it is obvious Goodfellow needs to be given a run on the left to fulfill his supposed talent and hopefully bring more of the best out of Miller which is undoubtedly his heading ability.

Brown has been a very lucky boy to have played well into the 100's in appearances considering his ability as a player in 5 years has really yet to improve.

Guest Terrace

Didnt Danny mention about the need for an experienced Midfielder ? Confused me. Why was Cyrille Regis at the game on Saturday. Who was he watching? With his WBA connections, them struggling, Aaron Brown playing out of his skin for 90mins could it be that theyre back in for him? Picture it, Aaron goes for cash, Goodfellow moves to left . Enter experienced midfielder Scott Murray on right. Could happen. How many 5-1 thrashings will it take? :unsure:

Archived