IGNORED

Petition To Ban The Drums And Trumpets

Rob k

I was always against the band, but, last season some time, a couple came in to the East End with only drums.

They did a great job of keeping the rhythm going for the singing (i.e. played to compliment the singing).

I suppose what i'm saying is a couple of drums being lead by the songs is good, but, get rid of the trumpets as they add nothing and do, in fact, take away from the atmosphere.

BTW, why does every thread these days always have to get personal and also, why do they have to carry the line "these fans are the most loyal".

It's not a bl00dy competition; we are all supporters of Bristol City (or Rovers in the Doc's case, but that's not important right now) :w00t:

BTW, why does every thread these days always have to get personal and also, why do they have to carry the line "these fans are the most loyal".

It's not a bl00dy competition; we are all supporters of Bristol City (or Rovers in the Doc's case, but that's not important right now) :w00t:

Because everyone knows he who carrys drum is most loyal.

I also don't get there 'flag' in the H block, doesn't it say something like 'Bristol Citys Drum n Bass'? Bet Roni Size (although he's a filthy sag) must be soiling himself!

Guest The Mother Of All Haddocks

I was always against the band, but, last season some time, a couple came in to the East End with only drums.

They did a great job of keeping the rhythm going for the singing (i.e. played to compliment the singing).

I suppose what i'm saying is a couple of drums being lead by the songs is good, but, get rid of the trumpets as they add nothing and do, in fact, take away from the atmosphere.

Hey Neo, hows your first day of married life? Hope it isnt too sore this morning?

IPB Image

Interesting argument and I'm undecided as to the band. Neo made quite a good point about the drums in the East End last year, i also felt they did quite well at keeping the rhythm. I sit in G Block and i rarely hear them during the game, not to sure if I'm going deaf at a very young age :blink:

My one big annoyance is airhorns, the single most annoying object that could be brought to a football match. Luckily we never have them at the gate but airhorns really made my life hell during our two trips to the Millenium Stadium. Instead of singing to get a good atmosphere going outside and inside the ground we have loads a kids, and adults :whistle: , with their bloody airhorns :@ :@

I think theres only two people who have replied to this thread who definately want the band to stay. They get about thirty people who sit in H block with them and the rest of the ground has to suffer the stiffeling of the atmosphere.

I ask the question: Why do they insist on bringing their musical instruments?

No offence intended but, can't they take a hint?

Even Sheffield Wednesday have seen that a band is a bad thing in football!

Band members..... please listen to the majority and do the decent thing by leaving your drums and trumpets at home.

:city::city::chant6ez:

The Band MUST go. These idiot drum bashers should go and join there local Salvation Army band if they love there trumpets, drums etc so much.

These fools should be kicked out for turning Ashton Gate into a musical joke.

The result of this thread is conclusive..

take your drums

take your drum sticks

take your trumpets

and let the real city boys make some proper noise.

1. Get a life? I would suggest middle age blokes taking instruments to football have serious issues. A shame that this thread has fallen into personal insults. Pathetic? I find that a word to some up most of the scarfers in H block, but live and let live

2. Come up and tell them? Behave, I think a few of them might start crying. Or do you consider that big chap that runs about bullying kids for not singing some sort of top boy?

I wasnt going to respond to this thread, it has a bit of a petty nature, but this post just made me.

Blokes taking instruments to football grounds may have issues, but what of other blokes, who sit and moan about it on a computer? Issues?

it is a shame that this thread has fallen into personal insults, and yes, you are a hypocrite, calling people pathetic immedietly after saying that.

"Live and Let Live" - yet your posting on a thread to try and ban some people wanting to make noise. Get a grip.

I wasnt going to respond to this thread, it has a bit of a petty nature, but this post just made me.

Blokes taking instruments to football grounds may have issues, but what of other blokes, who sit and moan about it on a computer? Issues?

it is a shame that this thread has fallen into personal insults, and yes, you are a hypocrite, calling people pathetic immedietly after saying that.

"Live and Let Live" - yet your posting on a thread to try and ban some people wanting to make noise. Get a grip.

Yeah, but in the process of about 5 or so people making a noise, it prevents the rest of the ground singing in unison.

Ashton Gate - Loud

Band turn up;

Ashton Gate - Silent

I'm not being petty, we're the only Club to have to endure a band stiffelling the atmosphere. Wednesday did the same sort of thing as we're doing to get shot of their band.

Band members..... please listen to the majority and do the decent thing by leaving your drums and trumpets at home.

:city::city::chant6ez:

Id dispute that, how can a thread be representative of a whole football club, when theres only say around 0 people posting on it, i mean to say, the most ever user online at one time was 906, and your calling the response to this thread a majority? i don't think so.

BB:- My above post was with more refernece to the individual, whose post i find a bit hypocritical.

I'm going to sit on the fence with regard to the arguement, as i have no idea what the band sound like from other areas of the ground, as i sit in H Block.

I just don't like the nature of the thread, its attacking people based on their continued support of the club.

Id dispute that, how can a thread be representative of a whole football club, when theres only say around 0 people posting on it, i mean to say, the most ever user online at one time was 906, and your calling the response to this thread a majority? i don't think so.

BB:- My above post was with more refernece to the individual, whose post i find a bit hypocritical.

I'm going to sit on the fence with regard to the arguement, as i have no idea what the band sound like from other areas of the ground, as i sit in H Block.

I just don't like the nature of the thread, its attacking people based on their continued support of the club.

The majority of replies havent been attacking the gesture of support, just that the way that about 5-10 blokes like to support the Club prevents 10 000 fans singing in unison as they A) Play things over the top of the rore singing B) They play the wrong songs often C) It's the wrong pitch for a load of people who aren't very good at singing (it's more chanting) D) We don't think instruments should be at a football match and I'm sure other people have their reasons too.

Even though there's only about a third of people who support City come on this forum (isn't there 3000 or 4000 forum members?), isn't the fact that only about 30 or 40 people actually sit with the band in support of them a very good sign that the majority of people are against bands in football?

Like I say, about 23 000 Wednesday fans appear to be against bands in football too.

Also my main point that is probably the simpleist.

Ashton Gate - Loud

Band turn up;

Ashton Gate - Silent

I respect that they support City as much as the next fan (no more/no less). But my opinions remain.

This thread is supposed to be constructive critism for a louder Ashton Gate not a personal attack on anyone.

Ashton Gate - Loud

Band turn up;

Ashton Gate - Silent

Or, Ashton Gate - Loud

East End Closed (Atyeo built in 1994)

Ashton Gate - Silent

As for the lone trumpeter, I understand that he received abuse from some supporters and felt that it was not safe for him to do it anymore. It's noteworthy how one or two people being critical can effectively spoil the fun for everyone else isn't it?

My opinion is that the band get songs going AND they make an atmosphere (admittedly I'm in F Block Atyeo so I can hear them) when everyone else is sitting quietly. When we're under pressure near the end of games I'm often grateful for their noise and think how lucky we are to have them because otherwise the pressure of our silence would be felt even more by the players.

I firmly agree with those that have posted the dislike of foghorns and that terrible, irrelevant Amarillo song after goals.

let em stay as long as they stay put in the Atyeo. I honestly think they make sweet fa difference to the atmosphere.I am happy in the knowledge that i do not have to listen to that dreadful cacphony as they can be barely heard from the Dolman A [Middle]. I used to sit in the Willlaims A and again they could be barely heard it seems all the sound from the Atyeo simply goes up and out. If they ever appear in the Dolman i swear i would want a refund on my season ticket.

Or, Ashton Gate - Loud

East End Closed (Atyeo built in 1994)

Ashton Gate - Silent

Ashton Gate was loud until 97/98, the middle of the Atyeo was full of the young singers and Dolman A+B was full of the older singers. This worked well and there was a good link up creating a unisn of noise. I remember looking over to the middle of the Atyeo and seeing the block behind the goal with loads of fans making a racket and waving their scarves around their heads! In 97/98 this set up was ruined as the drummers turned up and created a third so called "singing" section. This seperated the the singing fans up. Then the band start playing over the top of songs started in the middle of Atyeo or Dolman...i.e stiffleing the atmosphere before it's had a chance to spread.

We can debate about it all day long, but there is one way to find out if the band to stiffle the atmosphere and that is to do a test.

I say, lets try the rest of the season with out the band and lets see, or rather hear, what happens!

To much PC going on in football with your ban this and ban that 1st there was ban drinking then it was try and ban smoking? why it's in the open leave it alone then ban swearing same again why if you don't like it sit in the family enclosure now it pick on the band time why? I see them as a good thing they get the fans going and the kids love it. Old saying if it's not broken don't fix it. So i say to all the PC DO GOODERS if you don't like it then don't go simple :grr: most of us go to football to watch the game not look out for things going on that we can complain about. rant over.....

Yeh they probably wouldnt come down the Gate.

IMO its all about the drums and the trumpets for them. Taking them away would be taking the heart away from someone.

Maybe theyd inflict there music on the Memorial Stadium if they werent allowed to carry on here?

I havnt posted on here for a long time, but this thread realy makes my blood boil!I cannot believe what I have been reading!

I joined the band 2-3 years ago, regularly playing a drum. For me, it is not about the drumming, its about supporting my club in any way I can, including singing/playing supporting the players. Just look back to our 4-1 defeat a few weeks ago, with the "City til I Die" chant, who started it? Who kept it going all that time? I do not think I'm better than other fans, as far as I'm concerned I am just like any other city fan, I pay the same price (Season Ticket) to get it, I buy some merchandise like any other fan, I get no special privilidges or anything.

As for someone saying if I was told not to bring my drum I would go the mem instead, that is just crap. I have supported city for years and will continue to do so, with or without my drum.

Ashton Gate has gone silent? Its been a lot louder in the last few games than it was the reast of the season, partly (but not wholey) because of the band. I don't think we are there to appear above other fans, we are there to help lead chants supporting the team, which I believe we do. If a chant starts elsewhere in the ground, we often stop what were doing and join in with that. We play/sing continuously near enough all game, not just when we score.

As for being so quiet, it appears Gary Johnson can hear us (he waves), and the players can as they have mentioned it in previous interviews.

I also enjoyed our time in the east end, creating an amazing atmosphere and enjoying ourselves whilst supporting our team. It appears though that it was not the band that caused the atmosphere to die by getting us chucked out of the east end, it was chavvy teenagers climbing the fence and fighting with stewards.

To conclude: We in the band do our best to support the team, just like any other supporter, and do not think we are any better.

ps. This is my personal opinion and does not nessissarily reflect the view of other band members / Fans

Archived