IGNORED

Petition To Ban The Drums And Trumpets

Rob k

IIRC it was the club that originally recruited the band and invited them to Ashton Gate. This was in the post Euro 96 period - during the height of the media campaign to suck out all of the traditional culture of English football and replace it with something more akin to Noel's House Party.

With respect to all the band members, I'm afraid they've never done anything to improve the atmosphere at the Gate, indeed they often (albeit inadvertently) harm it. I've lost count of the times over the years that a rousing chorus of, say, 'Keep The Red Flag Flying High' has been building up in E, F & G Blocks, only for an atonal rendition of the Dambusters or Pigbag or somesuch irrelevance to drown it out.

Sorry guys but I've heard school punk bands with greater sense of time, rhythm & pitch. No offence like :shutup:

Guest Ronmeister

Why don't we have a guest band every week, and a little stage up in the G-Block or whatever block it is. One week, Status Quo, next week, Eurythmics. The older the better. Oh and charge £15/time for all those in the G-Block. We could have G-Unit in and re-name the G-Block to G-Unit for that game.

Fantastic idea.

I'm glad it wasn't me left to start a topic like this. I could tell you tale after tale about the times they have p1ssed me off.

The first time I can remember them was during the infamouse 1-1 with Scum in 96. They got taken the p1ss right out off and stopped at half time. To be greeted with 'cheerio, cheerio, cheerio'.

I can remember another game against Rovers ( I think it was that one we won 3-2 an they scored after 2 mins) and the whole ground was celebrating our victory with Drink up thy Cider, apart from this one corner banging out Reach Up (you know - that Andy Johnson tune).

They just don't have a clue and are to pig ignorant to know it

(obviously!)

Yeah, they're rubbish. But why ban them?

I totally agree with trying to improve the level of noise at Ashton Gate, but I find it really frustraiting when a decent song has the chance to spread around the ground and the band start playing something different over the top of it, i.e. stiffeling the atmosphere! :@

Did anyone else notice that the volume got turned down inside Ashton Gate in 97/98 season? (The season that drums turned up inside Ashton Gate) :grr:

I am convinced that if the people in H block Atyeo didn't bring their drums and trumpets then all three stands would sing in unison a lot more often. Which would be proper good and how it used to be!!

You could argue that having a band was worth experimenting with, but it's been a long and painful experiment that has had it's day and produced nothing except a scilent Ashton Gate!

So if I had my way, it would be BAND OUT and three stands singing in unison.

Like I said in the other thread; We are one of the only Clubs, if not the only Club to have to go through the embarressment of having a band, killing near enough every song that has a chance of spreading to the four corners of the gate. The band either are ignorant to the fact that this is what they do, or they're in denial!! So would the band please please please, leave their drums and trumpets at home for the sake of a louder Ashton Gate, please!!!

The third option is that I'm wrong, in which case, prove me wrong by leaving your musical instruments to their rightful home (the orchestra) and lets find out if I'm right or wrong!!

The first time I can remember them was during the infamouse 1-1 with Scum in 96. They got taken the p1ss right out off and stopped at half time. To be greeted with 'cheerio, cheerio, cheerio'.

Yeah, I remember that WTFiGO!?!, I'm not sure if that was them or not, but it doesn't really matter, the message was clear enough from the Ashton Gate faithful about their feelings on musical instruments at a football match! Lets hope we're singing "cheerio, cheerio, cheerio!" again very shortly ay!! :farmer:

The only musical instrument necessary at a football match is the voices of the Red Army!!!

Band members.....swallow your pride.....stop killing the atmosphere for the love of City!!

BAND OUT!!!!!!!!!

Come on you Reds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

BAND OUT BAND OUT BAND OUT

Although to be fair, you got to agree that they love City, but as I bang on about it at every opportunity, It's just another example of the plastic, post 96, Nick hornby, sanative family nonsense that gets forced on normal folk without want or need.

Please chaps, do yourself and us a favour; hang up the instruments

I've no axe to grind either way. Whether the band turn up does not bother me either way.

What does bother me is that fellow City fans are calling for other City fans to be banned for no other reason than that they make noise. I'm not sure how many people are involved but what if they decide to stop going to games altogether. Can we really afford to alienate a section of fans and lose their support.

I suspect if the club were to have come up with this idea then they would no doubt be accused of being heavy handed and it would be seen as another PR disater. Just a thought.

I remember going to Hillsborough when we lost in the cup. The band played there and I think they follow england matches too. Whats wrong with a little bit of noise. Our ground has been a morge for too long. If the band start playing then the crowd should start singing to drain them out!!

Simple as that really.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

It's embarresing

Sheff Wednesday fans campaigned to rid the club of annoying trumpeters and drummers. (Oh if only it was Brighton, the fun we could have)

"What does bother me is that fellow City fans are calling for other City fans to be banned for no other reason that they make noise"

Noise is fine, bands are sad!

Robins, you say the ground is quite without the band. I dread to think how silent football was in the 70's and 80's

It's embarresing

Sheff Wednesday fans campaigned to rid the club of annoying trumpeters and drummers. (Oh if only it was Brighton, the fun we could have)

"What does bother me is that fellow City fans are calling for other City fans to be banned for no other reason that they make noise"

Noise is fine, bands are sad!

Robins, you say the ground is quite without the band. I dread to think how silent football was in the 70's and 80's

I didnt quite say that. The ground is a morge most of the time. THe band could create an atmosphere and I was suggesting that could encourage fans to sing up.

I wasnt around in the 70s and didnt start going to matches till the late 80s so couldnt comment on that. I'm sure there were some sounds made by those dreadful rattles they used to shake. I remember the ayteo had one and there used to be the bugle chap in the Dolman.

Not bothered about the band. Would much rather ban the playing of music on the PA when we score. THAT ruins the atmosphere and drowns things out at the one moment above all others when we should be able to enjoy being a jubilant crowd.

Especially that bloody Amarillo song. I went to the Huddersfield game with some friends who never go to football. When that Tony Christie song came on they burst out laughing and thought it was so naff, they really couldn't believe the club do that after a goal.

I've been saying it for years: stop the fake music celebrations and let us enjoy the goals on our own.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Fact is untill last season Ashton Gate was dead, band or not. It may seem loud on the odd occasion for those sat around there, but as someone that sits at the other end of the ground you can't hear a thing, including the band. The times you DO hear a noise, is when people actually SING.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

1. Get a life? I would suggest middle age blokes taking instruments to football have serious issues. A shame that this thread has fallen into personal insults. Pathetic? I find that a word to some up most of the scarfers in H block, but live and let live

2. Come up and tell them? Behave, I think a few of them might start crying. Or do you consider that big chap that runs about bullying kids for not singing some sort of top boy?

1. Get a life? I would suggest middle age blokes taking instruments to football have serious issues. A shame that this thread has fallen into personal insults. Pathetic? I find that a word to some up most of the scarfers in H block, but live and let live

2. Come up and tell them? Behave, I think a few of them might start crying. Or do you consider that big chap that runs about bullying kids for not singing some sort of top boy?

That reply wasn't aimed at you, it was the first reply button l came across.

Anyway lets all sit in silence................

Oh, and John Ward thought the band was great.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Why is "scarfer" an insult?

Have I fallen through some kind of wormhole into a world where it's a bad thing to wear City colours to games now?

I don't mean it as an insult, it's a description as far as I'm concerned

That reply wasn't aimed at you, it was the first reply button l came across.

Anyway lets all sit in silence................

Oh, and John Ward thought the band was great.

Send the band to Cheltenham then. Its almost embaressing to see middle age men carry a drum to football. Always thought of Ateyo H block as the ones on day release from Barrow Gurney

Guest DrFaustus

Sorry to intrude here chaps, but this is a particular bugbear. In my opinion, mucical instruments, airhorns and the like should be unsurgically inserted in the ringpiece of the user. They are a bloody nuisance and a further sanitisation of the beautiful game. As for music when there is a goal, if I wanted to watch American football, there are plenty of cheap flights available to New York and elsewhere.

I'm just away to retrieve my humbugs.

Archived