IGNORED

Team V Rotherham

Bristol Boy

Overall, this is probably the game we need to win most.A real six pointer.

Given the number of games in such a short period, it makes sense, unless you're winning well, to make a couple of changes, to give players an opportunity to put in a performance that will really impact on a game or two, as the team becomes more confident.

We all know GJ won't budge from a 4-4-2, so:

Assuming Basso's injured

..........................................................PHILLIPS.....................................................................................

ORR....................................CAREY...........................HEYWOOD.................................WOODMAN.............

MURRAY..............................NOBLE...........................RUSSELL....................................WILKSHIRE............

..........................................STEWART.......................BROOKER.............................................................

SUBS

GK

COTTERILL

SAVAGE

BROWN

GOLBOURNE

At 17, it makes sense to give DC a rest and, in any event, like LL before him, he's an effective sub.Stewart is more likely to score than Savage, so should come in for this vital home game.

Depending on who comes in during the window, we could see Fortune & Gillespie back and Partridge can't be far away now, so apart from Basso, GJ could go into the New Year with a fully fit & strengthened squad available.

My only change would be Stewart in for Savage. Cotts is likely to be more effective in home games, so I'd start him. I'd like to see Golbourne introduced at some point, either for the deeply average Woodman, or for a late run out on the left wing when Murray tires.

My only change would be Stewart in for Savage. Cotts is likely to be more effective in home games, so I'd start him. I'd like to see Golbourne introduced at some point, either for the deeply average Woodman, or for a late run out on the left wing when Murray tires.

Whilst I would play Golbourne at home as a wing back in a 3-5-2, he isn't physically strong enough as a defender to play LB in a falt back four, in what is still a very physical division.Woodman isn't brilliant by a long chalk, but, touch wood, he is steady and reliable and has contributed to a vastly improved defence since his return from Torquay.

The only unforced change Johnson should make should be Stewart for Savage.Obviously with Basso injured Phillips will start in goal.

Agreed, Savage was ineffective at Gillingham and should lose his place solely based on that.

A win will almost certainly see us rise out of the relegation zone.

Whilst I would play Golbourne at home as a wing back in a 3-5-2, he isn't physically strong enough as a defender to play LB in a falt back four, in what is still a very physical division.Woodman isn't brilliant by a long chalk, but, touch wood, he is steady and reliable and has contributed to a vastly improved defence since his return from Torquay.

Golbourne has looked lightweight in his fledgling games, and of course'll show some moments of inexperience. Saying that, Woodman's hardly a powerhouse, and I'd argue that his ability is already far inferior to that of Golbourne.

The youngster is pacy, has a good touch and is clearly a natural footballer. For me, it's only a matter of time before Golbourne makes the left-back spot his own, and the more appearances he gets the better. Let's just hope he joins Cole Skuse down the gym.

Golbourne has looked lightweight in his fledgling games, and of course'll show some moments of inexperience. Saying that, Woodman's hardly a powerhouse, and I'd argue that his ability is already far inferior to that of Golbourne.

The youngster is pacy, has a good touch and is clearly a natural footballer. For me, it's only a matter of time before Golbourne makes the left-back spot his own, and the more appearances he gets the better. Let's just hope he joins Cole Skuse down the gym.

I agree and always have, that Golbourne is the better footballer and, once stronger, will be a quality player providing he retains his natural pace and ability.Our problem, as it is with Skuse, is that we need players FOR NOW, not the future.

Their day will come.

I agree and always have, that Golbourne is the better footballer and, once stronger, will be a quality player providing he retains his natural pace and ability.Our problem, as it is with Skuse, is that we need players FOR NOW, not the future.

Their day will come.

Agreed, but I'll say this: if at any point this season Woodman gets injured, I don't think he'll get back in the side.

I think Skuse should be delighted with the amount of first-team action he's had this season and he'll become a better player because of it. He'l have to be patient though. We've got plenty of central midfielders and he's lower down the pecking order at the moment.

We should have won at Gillingham....But it wasn't to be

In view of this the manager is likely not to make to many changes, as lets face it as many have pointed out, we are in desperate need of a settled team.

However Phillips in for Basso is a racing certainty with the only other possible change being Stewart for Savage this will depend on the managers state of mind on Wednesday evening...

e.g. Does he stick with the man in the shirt and a pattern of play relying on bigger guys in the penalty area or bring in Stewart who is likely to get the crowd going a bit more at home and keep the ball on the ground...

You decide..........

Guest DANRPDAN

Spot on lets hope GJ thinks the same. Stewart to start always.

p.s. I think Mr Murray is getting some of his old confidence back (at last )

Stewart may well have to be content with a place on the bench when GJ brings in a quality, pacy striker in Jan :cool:

The assumption being that Steve Brooker is in no matter what...

If a "pacey" stirker comes in then I would suggest that Marcus is actually more likely to start not less, at least initially. The fact is Marcus is far more used to playing along side a forward that gets behind defenders and he is able to feed off the scraps this will present rather than play off knock downs/knock offs that are provided bt Steve.

Also I would not be suprised to see Steve Gillespie getting a run with one or the other (depending on injuries etc) if we don't/cant afford the inflated prices that will be asked for quick legged forwards.

Funny old game init

The assumption being that Steve Brooker is in no matter what...

Well, I wouldn't play him if, say, he had a broken leg, no :whistle:

If a "pacey" stirker comes in then I would suggest that Marcus is actually more likely to start not less, at least initially.

Look at the teams GJ is selecting.That's not true.

The fact is Marcus is far more used to playing along side a forward that gets behind defenders and he is able to feed off the scraps this will present rather than play off knock downs/knock offs that are provided bt Steve.

That's why GJ will sign another striker that will play next to Brooker. (Jevons, left sided, same height, scores goals)The last bloke that thought Brooker shouldn't start up front was Tinnion and we all know what happened to him. :)

Also I would not be suprised to see Steve Gillespie getting a run with one or the other (depending on injuries etc) if we don't/cant afford the inflated prices that will be asked for quick legged forwards.

If GJ brings in two strikers I could see SG leaving permanently with a sell on clause.

Realistically, I can see Brooker + Signing as first choice and Stewart + Savage or Signing, on the bench.

If GJ brings in two strikers I could see SG leaving permanently with a sell on clause.

Realistically, I can see Brooker + Signing as first choice and Stewart + Savage or Signing, on the bench.

Clearly we are in agreement Steve Brooker should not play with a broken leg! :dunno:

However Gary Johnson is playing what he feels is the best available PARTNERSHIP and at this time that includes Steve Brooker and one other.... That "may not" necessarily be true if another striker comes in that suits the style of one of our other players better than that of Steve...Time will tell, and as has been already mentioned its not cut and dried that anyone is coming due to cost and availabilty.

For now Steve Brooker is clearly our most consistent player and biggest threat and is in our team on merit but competition in our side applies to all players equally (not just Phillips) thus all places are up for grabs as players present and future compete for them...

Nevertheless "realistically" I cant see more than one new forward coming to us in Jan and in view of the financial constraints that is likely to be a loan...Unless the Chairman puts is hands in his pocket for Mr Jeavons or anyone on your/the shortlist

Guest REDCIDERARMY

I would play Stewart up front and drop Savage I thought in the game against Huddersfield he looked good in the box,as he was getting more chances.But I reckon G Johnson play the same team with Savage up front with Brooker

Spot on lets hope GJ thinks the same. Stewart to start always.

You can't say that Stewart should 'always' start. Football doesn't work like that. Different players have different roles and if GJ feels that in a scrappy away game he'd prefer to opt for two players with physical presence, who are you to criticise. It makes perfect sense and it's about time some fans got their heads around it. Savage's selection happens to have coincided with our best form of the season so don't knock him until he actually does something wrong.

I'm tiring of this 'Savage is the worst player ever' crap too, as a minority have said on here.

Maybe but perhaps there is some truth in it I feel.

No, I'm tiring of it because it's based on nothing but scapegoating. We have had much worse. He hasn't even played really badly yet, so get over it.

That's not to say that I expect people to know anything about football on a fans forum.

Guest abbiebritt

SON YOU TALK SOME RUBBISH!... END OF CHAT.

SON YOU TALK SOME RUBBISH!... END OF CHAT.

Yeh? I'd be happy to debate with you at length my friend. I'm sure you're a knowledgable and articulate man. If I'm ever wrong feel free to try to put me right. Only try to do it a bit more intelligently next time, okay buddy?

Overall, this is probably the game we need to win most.A real six pointer.

Given the number of games in such a short period, it makes sense, unless you're winning well, to make a couple of changes, to give players an opportunity to put in a performance that will really impact on a game or two, as the team becomes more confident.

We all know GJ won't budge from a 4-4-2, so:

Assuming Basso's injured

..........................................................PHILLIPS.....................................................................................

ORR....................................CAREY...........................HEYWOOD.................................WOODMAN.............

MURRAY..............................NOBLE...........................RUSSELL....................................WILKSHIRE............

..........................................STEWART.......................BROOKER.............................................................

SUBS

GK

COTTERILL

SAVAGE

BROWN

GOLBOURNE

At 17, it makes sense to give DC a rest and, in any event, like LL before him, he's an effective sub.Stewart is more likely to score than Savage, so should come in for this vital home game.

Depending on who comes in during the window, we could see Fortune & Gillespie back and Partridge can't be far away now, so apart from Basso, GJ could go into the New Year with a fully fit & strengthened squad available.

why would you drop Cotterill, he has played well in our last few home games, in fact Scotty and Dave have both looked effective on the wings and I would stick with those too.

However I would bring on Skippy in the last 20 mins if things aren't going our way, that way he has enough time to try and change the way the game is being played.

I would agree with playing Stewart instead of Savage though.

With the exception of Stewart in for Savage (who was very poor at Gillingam), I would keep the same team.

However, I would like to occasionally see the two wingers switching sides for a 10 min burst. particularly when during games one of them appears to be having a quiet spell - why let the opposing defender have it easy. Switch them around and then switch them back again. If nothing else, it keeps the opposition on their toes.

I also think that Noble and Russell are due for better games tonight. They were both average on Monday and their recent form suggests that was merely a blip.

With the exception of Stewart in for Savage (who was very poor at Gillingam), I would keep the same team.

However, I would like to occasionally see the two wingers switching sides for a 10 min burst. particularly when during games one of them appears to be having a quiet spell - why let the opposing defender have it easy. Switch them around and then switch them back again. If nothing else, it keeps the opposition on their toes.

I also think that Noble and Russell are due for better games tonight. They were both average on Monday and their recent form suggests that was merely a blip.

Dunno if its by chance or design but Murray have Cotterill swaped wings from time to time.They did against Huddersfield at AG but I can't remember them doing it on Boxing day.

Dunno if its by chance or design but Murray have Cotterill swaped wings from time to time.They did against Huddersfield at AG but I can't remember them doing it on Boxing day.

I've noticed that too, and it works really well IMO, I think your right they didn't swap against the Gills, maybe if they did things would of been different, although Cotts did have the beating of his man all the game, which is probably why they didn't switch

Guest abbiebritt

Yeh? I'd be happy to debate with you at length my friend. I'm sure you're a knowledgable and articulate man. If I'm ever wrong feel free to try to put me right. Only try to do it a bit more intelligently next time, okay buddy?

DID I TOUCH A NERVE THERE BUDDY?

Guest RedAlex

With the news that Basso has a fitness test and so will hopefully be fit :pray: same team would do me fine. If one change then Stew in for Savage but I'm not bothered as long as we dop the business.

But one thing please not Skuse!

It looks like Savage is still in for Stewart... Surprising that especially as we're at home...

Would prefer Stewey on the pitch cos despite the fact that he hasn't been in the best form he tries his heart out and if we need someone to get on a scoring run it's him and not Savage...

Nothing against Savage either but surprising decision considering we're at home?

DID I TOUCH A NERVE THERE BUDDY?

No you were just being rude. Guess you don't like the fact that not only am I opinionated, but i get my point across well too. But if you think you know more about football than me, by all means prove it.

Archived