IGNORED

Our Central Midfield

James M

Right, not to have a go at Noble or Russell, both had good games, especially the latter who put in some excellent passes. But they both appear to have a fear of going closer than 25 yards to goal, or shooting. So many times they get near the edge of the area, and just pass it backwards or sideways, when Brooker or Savage were available to hold it up to perhaps create a 1-2 or something. It's essentially what Skuse does also. You see what Murray did when he cut into the centre and made some runs, he caused havoc. If Noble/Russell make some similar forwards bursts, I've no doubt they can do the same.

On a similar note, someone tell Woodman he can run into the opposition half more. And Orr to an extent, but he was much better today, especially 2nd half, put in a few good balls.

I think they did what they were told to do and that's why we won.

It had been noticeable that both central midfielders are not getting caught in front of the ball on breaks and not committing themselves outside the final third and it's the reason we're playing well.

Bursting forward is all very well until you lose possession, by feeding the ball wide or through rather than running with it they can stifle breaks more easily and keep them penned back like we did for near the whole second half.

Noble and Russell both still managed some creative play on the edge of the box, and it was effective. Murray's second goal and Noble's shot after a short run which was saved in the first half - the point is not to get carried away and leave yourself out of play on a break and they did it excellently.

Nibor

I think Noble and Russle have been the key to our success in the last 6 games. As a partnership they seem to have good understanding of each others game and seem to communicate very well. Either of them never seem to stop running and always look to put the opposition under pressure. I also think the fact that they are very good defensivly is allowing people like Murray, Cotterill and the two full backs to attack alot more and as a result we are starting to score more and conceeding less goals.

Right, not to have a go at Noble or Russell, both had good games, especially the latter who put in some excellent passes. But they both appear to have a fear of going closer than 25 yards to goal, or shooting. So many times they get near the edge of the area, and just pass it backwards or sideways, when Brooker or Savage were available to hold it up to perhaps create a 1-2 or something. It's essentially what Skuse does also. You see what Murray did when he cut into the centre and made some runs, he caused havoc. If Noble/Russell make some similar forwards bursts, I've no doubt they can do the same.

On a similar note, someone tell Woodman he can run into the opposition half more. And Orr to an extent, but he was much better today, especially 2nd half, put in a few good balls.

Our midfield kept it tidy and organised I think.

Woodman goes forward and works excellently on the left flank with Murray. I don't think Orr is to go forward as it seems we let Woodman go up more, creating a make-shift back three along with Carey and Heywood. Wouldn't work the other way round with Woodman playing centre half (obviously!).

There is a lot of hunger and organisation in the squad right now with GJ getting the best out of our players in the right respects.

GJ is the man to turn the corner me thinks. :pray:

I think Noble and Russle have been the key to our success in the last 6 games. As a partnership they seem to have good understanding of each others game and seem to communicate very well. Either of them never seem to stop running and always look to put the opposition under pressure. I also think the fact that they are very good defensivly is allowing people like Murray, Cotterill and the two full backs to attack alot more and as a result we are starting to score more and conceeding less goals.

Spot on! I was about to post the same opinion but you beat me to it.

Archived