IGNORED

We Will Need A Reserve Keeper

Super Scotty Murray

I have no problem with losing Phillips because although he is a very good keeper at this level, he clearly doesnt have the right attitude to fit in Johnson's regime.

I do worry about Basso long term. He has done well in a tough situation and looks like a good shot stopper but his kicking and catching need a lot of improvement and I wouldn't be totally confident he is the answer.

At the moment, we are winning games and the team is confident and Basso looks a good prospect but I think we need to be a little wary.

It does make me laugh a little that people say he is good at catching when he drops more than he catches and didnt come for the cross vs Rotherham where the ball was floated up into the six yard box for a free header.

I like the lad, and he is doing well at the moment, but I just want to give it a little more time before we make any real judgements about his ability.

I have no problem with losing Phillips because although he is a very good keeper at this level, he clearly doesnt have the right attitude to fit in Johnson's regime.

I do worry about Basso long term. He has done well in a tough situation and looks like a good shot stopper but his kicking and catching need a lot of improvement and I wouldn't be totally confident he is the answer.

At the moment, we are winning games and the team is confident and Basso looks a good prospect but I think we need to be a little wary.

It does make me laugh a little that people say he is good at catching when he drops more than he catches and didnt come for the cross vs Rotherham where the ball was floated up into the six yard box for a free header.

I like the lad, and he is doing well at the moment, but I just want to give it a little more time before we make any real judgements about his ability.

If you watch he replay you can see that Basso was blocked from collecting the cross for the Rotherham goal. His catching is miles better than Phillips as he actually comes out every now and again.

Guest Ronmeister

I'm sorry, you lost me after that... :huh:

If you watch he replay you can see that Basso was blocked from collecting the cross for the Rotherham goal. His catching is miles better than Phillips as he actually comes out every now and again.

your deluded by your dislike for Phillips - If phillips had done that against Rotherham you would have absolutley slated him and everybody that reads this forum regulary knows this.

I've been watching city since Kieth Waugh was in goal. From the few games I've seen Basso he has been my favourite keeper on a par with Mercer who was unfortunate with injury. I loved the chatting he was getting during the game on Monday. I think he's guna be a fans favourite here. He's made some fantastic saves all ready. I rekon sign him on for 3 years and we've got a top Keeper. :)

Just as a straight forward answer to the topic title:Of course we do! Same as you need back up in every position but GK is a toughie as the No.2 could be sat on his ass for months if not years. I can't see how Cudichini is so willing to take 2nd spot at Chelsea with his ability as he could walk into pretty much any other team he fancied, seems like a waste of a career.

I think I'd have to be some real withdrawn unambitious character to be No.2 unless there really wasn't anything between me and the first choice and we were alternated a lot.

I think you may be deluded by your blind support of Phillips - this isn't about Basso. It's about Phillips and how he's handling being dropped - badly.

No this is not about my support for Phillips - This poster has slated Phillips all season and defends Basso for doing exactly the same - Phillips is a good keeper and will go on to much better things than city just like,

Doc, Coles, Hill, Ayinansha, Rosenior,Goldbourne all have in the last year or so.

He comes out every time, commands his box unlike phillips ever did, unless it was a pass back with no strikers near him :dance:

Just as a straight forward answer to the topic title:Of course we do! Same as you need back up in every position but GK is a toughie as the No.2 could be sat on his ass for months if not years. I can't see how Cudichini is so willing to take 2nd spot at Chelsea with his ability as he could walk into pretty much any other team he fancied, seems like a waste of a career.

I think I'd have to be some real withdrawn unambitious character to be No.2 unless there really wasn't anything between me and the first choice and we were alternated a lot.

As I've said in the past, we've waited ages to have two decent goalkeepers challenging for the number one jersey - now that's happened a personality clash seems to have rained on our parade. Great.

I think Basso is a very clever person.

He was brought in as competition/cover for a 'keeper who had made over 150 consecutive appearances. Ok the team was going through a rocky patch but when he got his opportunity he seized it and kept his 'rival' out.

He was clever in the fact that he has used his ability and added a bit of showmanship to the game. I think he has overplayed some saves but this excites the crowd, like I said clever. It was a gamble by him, he could have fallen flat on his face. At the moment he can do little wrong, but we all know how the game goes. One players misfortune is another's gain. Maybe it was just coincidence that he have started to put a decent run together since he has played, maybe his confidence has steadied the defence. Whatever it is at the moment it's working so why disrupt it?

It's tough getting any breaks (not liturally!) in football, especially for keepers who get swopped around less than other positions. This is an advantage if you are 'in' but as Phillips has discovered not so much fun if you are 'out'.

Yes we do need 2 'keepers. We rode our luck last season with really only having Phillips. Wasn't it one of the 1st things Gary did, get in another keeper. Common sense really. Phillips spent the last few games of last season facing suspension if booked again, and injuries can happen as easily as falling over a dog!

If Phillips can't face being part of a team and being a team player then we need to bring someone in who can. Good luck to him if he leaves, finding a club where he is the only keeper on the books may be difficult though.

As I've said in the past, we've waited ages to have two decent goalkeepers challenging for the number one jersey - now that's happened a personality clash seems to have rained on our parade. Great.

I think being dropped had as much to do with Phillips' huff than any personality clash did.

Also, every dog has his day and with such a great change of personnel since Danny's departure a lot of Steve's old school mates have moved on. (infact only Murray and Carey remain and they've both had little sauntas) It must also be said that this group of players, despite us getting attached to them, Hill, Doc, Peacock etc ultimately failed in the task facing them.

I honestly think his days' are numbered, but thanks' for the memories Steve.

:chant6ez: Spot on

I'm not against Basso, as a City fan I'm glad we have two good keepers, i don't think basso is as good as phillips and i think hes been very fotunate to be playing in front of 3 defenders playing well at the moment and have all started the last 6 or so games, SP has not had that luxury this season. Only time will tell with this debate. I hope i eat my words and Basso proves to be far better than Phillips as its obvious to me Phillips will not be getting back in this team and Basso is now number 1.

your deluded by your dislike for Phillips - If phillips had done that against Rotherham you would have absolutley slated him and everybody that reads this forum regulary knows this.

I'm not deluded. I dislike Phillips as a player- I'm sure you have players you don't like too. Phillips is a good shot stopper as I have said. Aside from that what more does he offer as a keeper? I wouldn't have slated Phillips for this because it never would have happened- Phillips would never of even thought of coming for that cross.

Cynic, for the 2nd time in a row, I agree with your comments!

No this is not about my support for Phillips - This poster has slated Phillips all season and defends Basso for doing exactly the same - Phillips is a good keeper and will go on to much better things than city just like,

Doc, Coles, Hill, Ayinansha, Rosenior,Goldbourne all have in the last year or so.

I don't defend Basso for the same things...? I have already said that Basso has weakness's like his poor kicking on occasion and he does have moments of madness. I also haven't slated Phillips all season- against Port Vale he saved us from drawing the game.

From what I have seen, Basso does not (Is unable to?) communicate well with the defence, has made a number of errors, but got away with them, and can be a bit too showy. At some point, he will not be so lucky with these mistakes, but until then, he remains first choice. Quite how he can be 'The New Gordon Banks' after a handful of games, with howlers in both Port Vale and Walsall, and a mixed display at Yeovil (Awful handling and kicking, good shot-stopping) is beyond me. He is not a bad keeper, a good shot stopper and lucky, but hardly in the class of Welch or Mercer. Logic says that we must have a decent second keeper, especially as he has already been subbed twice, not too bothered if we go for an experienced keeper or an up and coming youngster.

One thing for Basso, don't bother playing whilst injured because your Club needs you, certain supporters will never appreciate it!!!

And just to keep you all happy, I heard that Phillips let down Bassos tyres, and rubbed seagull poo all over his windscreen!

I'm not against Basso, as a City fan I'm glad we have two good keepers, i don't think basso is as good as phillips and i think hes been very fotunate to be playing in front of 3 defenders playing well at the moment and have all started the last 6 or so games, SP has not had that luxury this season. Only time will tell with this debate. I hope i eat my words and Basso proves to be far better than Phillips as its obvious to me Phillips will not be getting back in this team and Basso is now number 1.

However when Phillips did have the luxury of a settled back 4, I still find it hard to see how many times he actually came and claimed balls in the penalty area, and it is due to this lack of performance in his game that we conceded so many goals from set pieces in the last few seasons.

From the games I have seen Basso has been playing really well and when the defence has been asleep he has been there to stop the goals or catch the ball.

O'BASSO

Guest Ronmeister

What are the back boys linguistical abilities like? Do you reckon they'll pick up Portugese?

Portugese? He speaks Brazilian. The man on the radio said so :me?:

Basso has been brilliant since he came in, miles better than phillips, his kicking is ten times better than phillips as well, also someone said about him being injured all the time, he dislocated his fingar making a save, and got knocked out! Pretty sure he couldn't prevent them from happening! I'd say he was a long term replacement!

Archived