IGNORED

Why Do Fans Think Wilkshire Is Leaving?

Robbored

Reading through various threads there seems to be a general concensus amongst many fans that Luke Wilkshire will be leaving the club in the January window.

My question is why do they think that?

Has he slipped down the pecking order? - no, he might not be first choice but he's on the bench every week.He was in a similiar postion under Wilson and one stage.He appears to be in Johnson's plans.

Has he not been offered a new deal or refused to sign one? - nothing to suggest that has been made public.

Has he put in a transfer request? - not as far as we know.

Has he publically said he's unhappy at City? - don't think so.

Has another club made an offer that City can't refuse? - nothing on the mainsite suggesting that.

Maybe all the answers to the questions is "yes" and I've just missed all the news - but I don't think so.

The fact that his contract is up in the summer is always going to generate speculation.

Add to that the fact that he is desperate to get into the Aussie squad for the world cup and it makes sense that he will probably want to play at a higher level, and in fairness to him he stated that when he first signed for us.

I still don't think it's cut and dry though and I'd love to see him stay.

Guest Harry Dolman

I would think that in a world cup year he will be determined to be playing regularly so that he can impress Hiddink.

Nothing concrete just supposition.

In addition, as Australia are now part of the ASIA football confederation, he will be playing (if picked) in their qualifying games next season. This means he will be missing for games almost every month. They have games in August, September, October etc.

Can we afford to lose a player for a good proportion of matches, who, if accepted a new contract, would probably be one of our higher earners?

I can understand Wilkshire's desire to play for his country but any player whose been playing in the lower reaches of the football league is always going to facing a tough situation trying to force themselves into the Australian squad.

They are not the mugs they once were and they have some very decent players who are just as good if not better than Wilkshire.

I can't see that playing in a higher league for less than half a season will do much for his chances - assuming a championship club comes in for him.

I can't see that playing in a higher league for less than half a season will do much for his chances - assuming a championship club comes in for him.

As opposed to warming the bench for Bristol City?

As I said, I hope he stays but will certainly understand his reasoning, if he doesn't.

He's out of contract in June and won't sign another, is the information I have.

I predicted Phillips would leave about two months ago and the same person gave me both items of information.

LW's problem is that he would need a very good defensive partner, not Skuse, to play in a two man central midfield.

He would be good in a three or even in the hole but if GJ persists with a 4-4-2 his best bet is on the left wing and Murray is doing well there although I've already said I'd shift Murray to th right and play LW on the left, dropping Cotterill to the bench.

His other problem is missing gaes through Internationals and the losing his place.

Reading through various threads there seems to be a general concensus amongst many fans that Luke Wilkshire will be leaving the club in the January window.

My question is why do they think that?

Has he slipped down the pecking order? - no, he might not be first choice but he's on the bench every week.He was in a similiar postion under Wilson and one stage.He appears to be in Johnson's plans.

Has he not been offered a new deal or refused to sign one? - nothing to suggest that has been made public.

Has he put in a transfer request? - not as far as we know.

Has he publically said he's unhappy at City? - don't think so.

Has another club made an offer that City can't refuse? - nothing on the mainsite suggesting that.

Maybe all the answers to the questions is "yes" and I've just missed all the news - but I don't think so.

Some players don't make a fuss when they leave and prefer to keep their dignity, Luke may well leave for free but I think most City fans would appreciate why and give him a decent reception if he ever came back.

Some players don't make a fuss when they leave and prefer to keep their dignity, Luke may well leave for free but I think most City fans would appreciate why and give him a decent reception if he ever came back.

considering how he is one of the better footballers i've seen down the gate in the last 3-4 years, it think he is being the model pro. he doesn't seem at all miffed that he isn't playing first team (despite his international coach publicly saying he needs to), as its cear the team is performing , he takes his chances with both hands (his 17 mins/goal against walsall, and even looked sharp and poistive in the 10mins against rotherham), and no public displays of his feelings about selection/his prospects, whatever they may be. if he does leave (for fee or free) i'd be sad, but wouldn't hold anything at all against the lad. would do a job for anyone if given the chance, and am convinced that if he does stay (even if only till his contract runs out) will give his all for the team. quality lad and true pro. :chant6ez:

considering how he is one of the better footballers i've seen down the gate in the last 3-4 years, it think he is being the model pro. he doesn't seem at all miffed that he isn't playing first team (despite his international coach publicly saying he needs to), as its cear the team is performing , he takes his chances with both hands (his 17 mins/goal against walsall, and even looked sharp and poistive in the 10mins against rotherham), and no public displays of his feelings about selection/his prospects, whatever they may be. if he does leave (for fee or free) i'd be sad, but wouldn't hold anything at all against the lad. would do a job for anyone if given the chance, and am convinced that if he does stay (even if only till his contract runs out) will give his all for the team. quality lad and true pro. :chant6ez:

here here

Before I post something which may appear controversial may I just iterate that he may well already be doing what I'm going to suggest.

However, a player out of contract in a few months time who has publically stated that his ambition is to play at a higher level and has the chance to play for his Country in the World Cup Finals in the Summer is sitting on the bench for a bottom half of the 3rd Division side! Hmmmm. Doesn't quite add up does it? And let's not forget that he did a lot of bench warming for Wilson and Tinnion too! Is it because he's missed games whilst playing for his country? Fair enough. But surely this can't be the only reason can it? Could it not be more of a case that Luke is not the type of person to tear up trees and ensure that his Manager picks him whatever?

I've seen it mentioned here on quite a few occasions that LW plays better at home. I've mainly seen him play away from the Gate and he's had a few good games but in the main he has been anonymous. He does not have the physical strength to 'get into them' and I believe that GJ's comment that we 'had too many players who were trying to nick the ball off of the toe of the opposition' was directed at LW and perhaps Skuse. These two, after all, played alot during our 9 game losing run and were the middle part of our 'spine'.

If I was LW I'd be doing absolutely everything to persuade my boss to pick me. He could even be overlooked for the Aussie Squad if he doesn't play regularly between now and the end of the season.

A move? If he went to a side in the Championship would he get regular games? Ok, it depends on the Manager and what role he played LW in but I believe it's more likely that he'll stay here and try and get his place back. That means 'getting into them' Luke. Putting in 100% every game, home and away. Then at the end of the Season reaccess your options.

BTW he cost a considerable amount when DW signed him and we have received very little value for money considering the high wages it is believed he has commanded.

If I was Luke I'd keep my options open until the summer, see what league City are in and see how GJ's side come May is shaping up.

The availability thing is a worry if is it is true that he will miss say 20% of the season due to call up's then I reluctatly say let him go, my gut feel is he will go as a free agent.

Could it not be more of a case that Luke is not the type of person to tear up trees and ensure that his Manager picks him whatever?

If I was LW I'd be doing absolutely everything to persuade my boss to pick me. He could even be overlooked for the Aussie Squad if he doesn't play regularly between now and the end of the season.

BTW he cost a considerable amount when DW signed him and we have received very little value for money considering the high wages it is believed he has commanded.

i don't think thats very fair on the lad. alot of that is conjecture. as for value for money, over 3-4 years of being played out of position alot (left side) he has shown admiral skill, determination and composure.

i don't think thats very fair on the lad. alot of that is conjecture. as for value for money, over 3-4 years of being played out of position alot (left side) he has shown admiral skill, determination and composure.

I said in the opening sentence that it was conjecture. 99% of what is written on here is purely that because WE DON'T KNOW!

If he had been that good then he wouldn't have been played out of position he would have merited HIS position, whatever that may be!

£225k plus not far off of £5k a week to warm the bench in a side 20th in Division 3!! :blink:

I said in the opening sentence that it was conjecture. 99% of what is written on here is purely that because WE DON'T KNOW!

fair enough, but why? he looks like he works hard, so whats the use in knocking him?

If he had been that good then he wouldn't have been played out of position he would have merited HIS position, whatever that may be!

maybe the very opposite is true. maybe he was willing to alter his play to try and get in the side. still got in the starting 11 in a squad of 35-40 odd a season and a bit ago. either way we are both just speculating

£225k plus not far off of £5k a week to warm the bench in a side 20th in Division 3!! :blink:

how do you know how much he is paid? is this more conjecture? and he didn't price himself, his club didn't. wilson spent a fair amount on alot of players, some good, some not so, their fees are not really their fault. their performances are.

either way i was just trying to comment on what i have seen (his performances) and not what i could think up. from the interviews i've seen and the comments from his manager and teammates over a number of years make him out as a model pro, thats the only reason (and basis) i can comment on that. if you want to knock someone we've got at least a couple of candidates worthy of it, but i think (my opinion formed from my observations, NOT negative conjecture by the way) making this lad one of them is just fishing.

If saying that I expected more from him over the whole of his spell with this club is knocking him then fair enough. I appreciate that he didnt decide the fee and that we didnt have to pay his comparative high wages, would he have come if we had offered less?

He may well be a model pro and all power to his elbow for being so, doesn't stopme from being disappointed with what he has given to BCFC on the pitch week in week out.

If saying that I expected more from him over the whole of his spell with this club is knocking him then fair enough. I appreciate that he didnt decide the fee and that we didnt have to pay his comparative high wages, would he have come if we had offered less?

He may well be a model pro and all power to his elbow for being so, doesn't stopme from being disappointed with what he has given to BCFC on the pitch week in week out.

fair dos. you do make a fair point.

personally i think he will stay till june, as clearly GJ likes him and it saves him looking for another midfielder (after getting noble that is) till the summer, where he can have more time/funds. plus luke might be all calm as he has the world cup to perform well in and find a club after. if he plays out of his skin in germany he'll easily find a club or two who will want him.

Actually bumped into Luke recently and asked what he was doing. He said that Gus Hiddink Oz manager had said to him that he needs to be playing the highest possible standard prior to the World Cup to secure squad place. LW said that although the manager likes him he wouldn't get in starting 11 when people like Cahill & Emerton were playing in the Premiership and his dream as everyones would be, is to be in the World Cup.

Said he loved the club and can't believe the potential it has but said the football was rubbish and he needed to go. This isn't something I heard from someone this is what he said so expect him to move soon.

Have to say he was a top bloke and he was in his element when my dad told him we use to live in Wollagong which is where he's from.

I think he's going because there has been no mention of the contract situation. doesn't mean anything by itself but if he was staying i think he would have signed by now. Probably can play at a higher level but needs the right system to do it.

an aussie here.

I'm praying gj starts him regularly up until the end of the season.

aus have a game in bahrain (asian cup qualifier) on feb 22 which is midweek (and not a fifa date) so he will probably miss whatever bcfc game is on the following weekend (maybe not, bahrain is only half way to aus)

catch 22, aus will be depleted because no fifa date so he could even start. but then he might get shunned by gj to the bench again.

He won't stay beyond the length of his contract so it would be a good idea to get any money we can for him now.

If he can't command a transfer fee from another club then that would be a reflection of his performances for City over the last 2 and a bit years - in my opinion in the majority of games he's had for us he's been ineffectual.

Archived