IGNORED

Murray, Phillips And Basso

poolered

how is he a spoilt little brat? he's fought competition over the years from excellent legend mike stowell and others including that one that plays for hull? forgot his name Hmm, I bet there's a smilie on here that conveys laughter but I'm too lazy to look for it. and also clint davies e.tc e.tc. Maybe some of you seem to have forgot that? Ever thought he's sick of being treated badly and wants a more positive club to go to....

how is he a spoilt little brat? he's fought competition over the years from excellent legend mike stowell and others including that one that plays for hull? forgot his name Hmm, I bet there's a smilie on here that conveys laughter but I'm too lazy to look for it. and also clint davies e.tc e.tc. Maybe some of you seem to have forgot that? Ever thought he's sick of being treated badly and wants a more positive club to go to....

Mike Stowell didn't ever expect to be in the first team- he was here to coach Phillips and I don't think he did much of a job myself. Boaz Myhill- came on loan I believe. Had anyone of spotted he was better than Phillips we might be in a higher league. Clint Davies- give me a break. Did we ever sign the guy or was he just on trial? Phillips has never had any real competition, and now he does he gives up. This club is being more positive than it's been for ages, especially with a lack of funds to get real quality. He hasn't been treated badly at all.

Perhaps all of you so-called experts on here could explain how this 'Useless' Keeper was voted into the PFA Team of the Year the season before last. Are Pro players so stupid that they just vote for any old rubbish? Or are you guys far better at making such judgements? Also, could you all clarify how many times Basso has dropped crosses in dangerous areas. Was it once at Yeovil, once at Vale and once v Walsall? And yet some people here seem to think he is a wonder-keeper. I am not trying to rubbish Basso, just get a sense of perspective on here. He is not a bad Keeper, a good entertainer, but I am far from convinced with him.

Lets get real, Phillips has been a decent keeper, has not been at his best this season. Basso is an OK Keeper, but will make mistakes, and won't always be so lucky. Clearly, something has been going on behind the scenes, and, despite a Testimonial, Phillips wants to leave. I think there is a lot more to it than meets the eye, he possibly remembers what he had to endure under Pulis and does not want that happening again. Personally, I wish him well in the future. assuming he goes (To McDons?).

Right, that should set you vultures off.........

Guest C.T.I.D

Perhaps all of you so-called experts on here could explain how this 'Useless' Keeper was voted into the PFA Team of the Year the season before last.Right, that should set you vultures off.........

not so,you said it yourself

T-h-e s-e-a-s-o-n b-e-f-o-r-e l-a-s-t

not any good this season is he :doh:

So, he was not in great form earlier this season, just like most of the Team. Have you never noticed that players form does occasionally dip? In any case, does this justify the level of bilious outpourings on this site?

Just for the record, I have seen only 2 excellent keepers in 27 years, Mercer and Moller. Phillips goes in the ranks of competent keepers alongside Waugh, Welsh, Sinclair, Leaning and Shaw. Barring short-term loans, about the only Keeper I have not particularly rated was Stuart Naylor. Not yet sure on Basso.

So, he was not in great form earlier this season, just like most of the Team. Have you never noticed that players form does occasionally dip? In any case, does this justify the level of bilious outpourings on this site?

The only outpourings that could be in any way described as bilious are those that happened after Mr Loyalty threw his toys out of his pram and handed in a transfer request.

Have you ever noticed that when a player has a serious dip in form they are usually replaced and have to win back their place? Why should Phillips be an exception and why isn't he willing to compete?

Nibor

I would be grateful if you could actually list a series of examples that show Phillips has been treated badly. Personally, I would say that an unbroken first team run of 150 odd games is not a very good example of being treated badly. Or is the fact that a manager is not happy with a couple of goals he has let in and has the audacity to give someone else a go an example of bad treatment. And despite this bombshell of being dropped the Football Club is still paying his 75-100K per year wages. How terrible!! Come back to the real world some time.

And as for Clint Davis providing competition - if this forum has a joke of the year award in 2006, you'll be running off with the silverware!!

In case people had forgot Bristol City FC is not a charity but a professional football club. The manager has to make decisons based on his belief on how he can win football matches. he is rightly jusged over a period of time on that fact and that fact alone.

Gary Johnson has decided as per his remit that Basso has earnt the right to be the goal keeper at the present time. And would appear to be justified in that selection. The fact that Steve Phillips has decided as is his right that he wan'ts to move is his choice. And I can't for the life of me understand why some people think he has been hard done by.

He has been paid signifficant wages over the period of his employment and has now been offered a testimonial as reward for his loyalty. Should he choose to waiver that offer, is his decision and no amount of bashing the manager or sections of the City support alters that fact.

I suppose he could have stayed at Paulton if he wanted to, but he quite rightly decided to speculate on the cut throat business of professional football, not join some sort of benift soceity as what some of you believe he has.

In case people had forgot Bristol City FC is not a charity but a professional football club. The manager has to make decisons based on his belief on how he can win football matches. he is rightly jusged over a period of time on that fact and that fact alone.

Gary Johnson has decided as per his remit that Basso has earnt the right to be the goal keeper at the present time. And would appear to be justified in that selection. The fact that Steve Phillips has decided as is his right that he wan'ts to move is his choice. And I can't for the life of me understand why some people think he has been hard done by.

He has been paid signifficant wages over the period of his employment and has now been offered a testimonial as reward for his loyalty. Should he choose to waiver that offer, is his decision and no amount of bashing the manager or sections of the City support alters that fact.

I suppose he could have stayed at Paulton if he wanted to, but he quite rightly decided to speculate on the cut throat business of professional football, not join some sort of benift soceity as what some of you believe he has.

Good post. There are too many "sentamentalists" supporting this football club who think that playing local players breeds some form of "loyalty". If loyalty means the qualities displayed by Doherty, Coles, Carey, Hill, Anyinsah, Rosenior and others over the last couple of seasons then I really cannot see where they are coming from.

As you say football is a cut throat business with no prisoners taken and all pro's must know this when entering the profession (and when negotiating tidy little contracts in many cases). If Phillips wants to go elsewhere then good luck to him. But please, someone, tell me why the club should bust a gut to keep a want-away player who'se heart no longer appears to be at the football club.

Enlighten us then O knowledgeable one.

Nibor

I only wish I could.

Oh don't get me wrong.this is'nt just some "airhead" rant who thinks he knows the truth.

Ive actually spoken to someone who is'nt an "Uncles next door neighbour who knows such and such..".

This person is not only connected to the club but actually does what we all wish we did...and thats grace the actual pitch of Ashton Gate.There that narrows it down for you does'nt it ?

I'm not going to name names as the person in question does not want any trouble.

Whether you want to believe me or not its upto you but one day you will find out the truth when the time comes.

I only wish I could.

Oh don't get me wrong.this is'nt just some "airhead" rant who thinks he knows the truth.

Ive actually spoken to someone who is'nt an "Uncles next door neighbour who knows such and such..".

This person is not only connected to the club but actually does what we all wish we did...and thats grace the actual pitch of Ashton Gate.There that narrows it down for you does'nt it ?

I'm not going to name names as the person in question does not want any trouble.

Whether you want to believe me or not its upto you but one day you will find out the truth when the time comes.

If it's the old story about Johnson telling Phillips in front of the rest of the team to ask his teammates who wanted him in goal, then I've heard it. My guess is that if it's true, which is a big if, he did it to deflate Phillips' massive ego, and he couldn't take it.

To be quite honest I'm perfectly sure that whatever you think you've heard wouldn't change my opinion, because the bottom line is, if SP had improved his attitude and his game instead of failing to accept any responsibility and not addressing his own weaknesses he'd be in the team. Unless you believe that the manager just took an instant dislike to him and therefore decided to end his career at city.

Nibor

I only wish I could.

So what has your source actually told you?

As far as I'm concerned, any of the "old order" who are not happy with Johnson can leave. They've had their chance and they failed. It's time to let others have a go. Others who have the mental toughness and will to win that has been lacking at City for the past 7 or 8 years.

I only wish I could.

Yeah, some of us know Phillips is your mate. You've mentioned it before. It kind of deflates your argument when people know you're emotionally invloved with Steve. Most of us can take the objective view and recognize that Steve isn't the answer any more. Some of us have loyalties to the team others to their mates.

To be quite honest I'm perfectly sure that whatever you think you've heard wouldn't change my opinion, because the bottom line is, if SP had improved his attitude and his game instead of failing to accept any responsibility and not addressing his own weaknesses he'd be in the team. Unless you believe that the manager just took an instant dislike to him and therefore decided to end his career at city.

Nibor

Spot on.

All Phillips has done by sulking and quiting the club is alienate himself from the fans.Most of us wanted him to show some resolve and fight for his place.Instead he's chosen to do a runner.

Adios, Steve..

My mate ?

Who the ##** said he was my mate ?

Ive met the bloke once very briefly two years ago so if you think my thoughts on Steve Phillips are emotional you very ###### wrong pal !

I get emotional when it comes to my missus or my son.Nobody else.

Just because I am in defence of Phillips, it does'nt mean he's my "mate".

And the source who told me the truth is'nt him.

Instead he's chosen to do a runner.

Adios, Steve..

We shall see

My mate ?

Ive met the bloke once very briefly two years ago so if you think my thoughts on Steve Phillips are emotional you very ###### wrong pal !

That's funny you seem a bit emotional now. Wasn't it you who started the heart-rendring "The Forgotten Keeper" thread?

That's funny you seem a bit emotional now. Wasn't it you who started the heart-rendring "The Forgotten Keeper" thread?

...and have shot down anyone who has criticised Phillips in about the last 3 months of sulking!

My mate ?

Just because I am in defence of Phillips, it does'nt mean he's my "mate".

And the source who told me the truth is'nt him.

We shall see

If you're not emotional, how come you had to censor parts of your post?

And what on earth is "we shall see" all about? You've not actually told us anything, so what can we "see"?

If you're not emotional, how come you had to censor parts of your post?

And what on earth is "we shall see" all about? You've not actually told us anything, so what can we "see"?

Like I said.You'll find out when the truth comes.

I'll leave it at that shall I ?

After all I seem to be "One of Steve Phillips' over-emotional friends" so because I'm not "with the trend" I may as well shut up now had'nt I ??

Night night

As you say, opinions change over time. But I don't know of any other of our players who have acted like spoilt kids when they've been dropped.

I repeat what I wrote on a similar thread a couple of days ago:

"I've got no problem with Phillips or Basso as goalkeepers and would love us to have them as two good 'keepers that get on with a friendly rivalry, in the same way that Mercer and Phillips did.

In the past I have been a staunch supporter of Phillips, having got seriously involved in arguements at several games in the past defending Phillips against some of the loony critics that call themselves supporters, so I'm not someone who is a Phillips slagger.

However, since Phillips has been out of the starting line-up it has become abundantly clear to me that he seems to have absolutely nothing to do with Basso at all. No words, smiles, pats on the back, even no eye contact.

Now I can accept that everyone wants to be in the first team, but the outfield subs. seem to have a laugh and joke with the others. They shake hands or pat each other on the back, gestures that show some kind of team spirit or common cause. But since Phillips has been left out, his whole body language seems wrong.

He was the first to go down the tunnel on Monday.... on his own!

So I'm sorry to say that, yes, he does give me the impression that he is sulking.

Surely if he has the long term interest of Bristol City at heart he should forget his personal angst and show a a bit more encouragement to his team mates."

I agree if he's 100000% city he would nuckle down and show gj that he' no 1

Like I said.You'll find out when the truth comes.

I'll leave it at that shall I ?

After all I seem to be "One of Steve Phillips' over-emotional friends" so because I'm not "with the trend" I may as well shut up now had'nt I ??

Night night

'I'll leave it at that shall I ?'

No please don't. I think most of us would actually like to hear what you know so we can weigh up your argument. To say you know something and then not tell us is simply childish, rather like a certain goalkeeper's attitude.

'I'll leave it at that shall I ?'

No please don't. I think most of us would actually like to hear what you know so we can weigh up your argument. To say you know something and then not tell us is simply childish, rather like a certain goalkeeper's attitude.

I cant mucker.Its not about being "Childish".

I promised i would'nt mention anything.In fact I have gone against my promise by posting something which I'm beginning to regret.

No *********...there is more going on than what you are reading.

I cant mucker.Its not about being "Childish".

I promised i would'nt mention anything.In fact I have gone against my promise by posting something which I'm beginning to regret.

No *********...there is more going on than what you are reading.

Johnson's shagging Mrs Phillips. Is that it? Actually, I don't care. The team's unbeaten in 6 and we're out of the relegation zone. That's all that matters isn't it?

Johnson's shagging Mrs Phillips. Is that it? Actually, I don't care. The team's unbeaten in 6 and we're out of the relegation zone. That's all that matters isn't it?

You just can't make a post without sarcasm can you ?

if you make a valid point without the sarcasm I will accept your view.

Until then...............

can't argue with a word of that :thumbsup:

sums him up nicely,a spoilt little brat

Now thats the type of reply I am referring to . Where the hell do you get this stuff from. Ok we all have our own opinions of players but the guy is out the team doesnt see any prospect of getting his place and rather than sit on the bench and take the money and a testimonial he puts in a transfer request. Do you actually work at the club , are you a player, so how the hell do you know what attitude the guy has got?

No doubt you were one of those clammering for Marcus stewart to join in the summer and now he is a waste of time I guess.

Your missing the point mate. I am not complaining because Phillips is going to be the loser in this. My point is that the abuse directed at players by the fickle City fans is unjustified and doesnt exactly engender the loyalty that so many of those on here demand from the players. The end result the club loses because whatever you think of Phillips the club will soon have competition for Basso.

The most tedious thing about these Phillips posts is that it's mainly Phillips' mates who seem to be posting them. Phillips deserved to be dropped because of glaring errors that cost the team - end of. If Basso makes similar mistakes I would expect to see the same result.

Well i know him as well as I know you so not at all. The glaring errors - probably two mistakes at most over what a dozen games. Basso has made just as many but he has got lucky and the team is playing well. If Basso does get dropped then it will be interesting to see who comes in.

Guest Harry Dolman

I only wish I could.

Cool, another "I know something no-one else does, but I can't tell anyone as its top secret, but when it comes out won't I be the clever one" thread.

For me the bottom line is that Johnson is paid to get results, Phillips loss of form was costing us, so he dropped him & the replacement, so far, has done well.

The mentality/mgmt style of the football ground is quite differnet to that of the office block - if Johnson used extreme methods then as long as they work, its fine by me. Its funny cos during the losing run many people had it that Johnson had lost the entire dressing room.......... how come he's found them ??

Archived