IGNORED

Promotion Through Playoffs

HambrookRed

Which would you prefer, if you had a choice of course.

I think Promotion this year ( by the way I'm not saying i believe this is likely, i'm speaking meta"something"ly ) would be good obviously but I've always wanted to feel like the champions of this league. This year would just seem like we scraped our way through !

If we were to build some more this year and maybe a few signing this month, along with some more in the summer, we may have more aof a chance under GJ to really push from the start next year.

I guess i'm saying i'd prefer to build for the future and enjoy a season from start to finish, although of course you have to want to win every game, and if that happens from now until the end of the season i wont moan ! :)

the excitement of going up through the playoffs from being second bottom just before christmas would make that the best choice. yes i know people say building for the future is important but if we got up we'd have all summer to get the correct squad. not saying it going to happen though.

Guest The Codfather 0312

Your not the only one who still feels the pain YateRed. All the ifs and buts, but we need to move on from that. We have been waiting for promotion for so long so I don't really care how we do get it as long as we do get it.

Your not the only one who still feels the pain YateRed. All the ifs and buts, but we need to move on from that. We have been waiting for promotion for so long so I don't really care how we do get it as long as we do get it.

Part of me totoally agrees with you, especially when i think of the financial benifits of playin gin the championship. I just wonder if we would be ready for it this early, I'm not sure I could face seeing us go up and down like a yo yo !

In a couple of years i think we will be alot stronger squad, with the likes of cotts and skuse being tied down it appears that SL and GJ want to hold on to some of the young talent coming through.

Either way for me as long as we survive long enough in the championship to build a squad capable of pushing for the premiership, even if it never happens !

While I would like us to go up this season, I think it would be much better in the long term if we were to instead go up automatically next season. Although we're much improved we don't have the depth in our squad to cope with the Championship and although we could buy lot's of players in the summer, we then wouldn't have very much time for them to gel before the start of the new season. While it would be nice to win the playoffs, it could be a bad move if two years time we're back in this poxy division. Better to wait one more year and achieve long term sustainable success which is what we all want for the club.

While I would like us to go up this season, I think it would be much better in the long term if we were to instead go up automatically next season. Although we're much improved we don't have the depth in our squad to cope with the Championship and although we could buy lot's of players in the summer, we then wouldn't have very much time for them to gel before the start of the new season. While it would be nice to win the playoffs, it could be a bad move if two years time we're back in this poxy division. Better to wait one more year and achieve long term sustainable success which is what we all want for the club.

Now its a debate ! good lad ! :)

Guest The Codfather 0312

But say for example we don't take the chance now then that chance may not come again. Take you chances whilst you can.

Guest The Codfather 0312
oi codface i never read your daily update on whatever it is, but is says 9th on it and its the 10th! THats not updating daily is it!

Sorry will update soon. Been lazy and not long woke up.

But say for example we don't take the chance now then that chance may not come again. Take you chances whilst you can.

I take your point. However, I believe that Gary Johnson is the right man to take us forward in the long term. At the moment I would say at best we have 5-6 players in the squad capable of playing Championship football. Say Johnson buys another 2-3 in January then that would still leave him needing to buy another 9-11 in the summer to have a reasonable championship squad. Another year allows more time to build a stronger squad gradually. It also allows more to develop younger players like Skuse who aren't ready yet. The other problem is that we still have a large amount of rubbish in the squad who we need to get rid of. e.g. if no-one wants the Smiths we're stuck with them 'til the summer (or beyond) paying their wages and that impacts on the number of new players we can bring in.

If Johnson builds a good squad with the right drive and ambition then we should be able to get out of this division without needing "luck" to go our way. I know we felt "unlucky" to constantly miss out under Wilson, but looking back that was more to do with the players going AWOL in key matches than bad fortune.

I take your point. However, I believe that Gary Johnson is the right man to take us forward in the long term. At the moment I would say at best we have 5-6 players in the squad capable of playing Championship football. Say Johnson buys another 2-3 in January then that would still leave him needing to buy another 9-11 in the summer to have a reasonable championship squad. Another year allows more time to build a stronger squad gradually. It also allows more to develop younger players like Skuse who aren't ready yet. The other problem is that we still have a large amount of rubbish in the squad who we need to get rid of. e.g. if no-one wants the Smiths we're stuck with them 'til the summer (or beyond) paying their wages and that impacts on the number of new players we can bring in.

If Johnson builds a good squad with the right drive and ambition then we should be able to get out of this division without needing "luck" to go our way. I know we felt "unlucky" to constantly miss out under Wilson, but looking back that was more to do with the players going AWOL in key matches than bad fortune.

You can't blame it all on Clayton ! :)

Good response though on a serious note, I agree with the remark regarding younger players, should we keep skuse and cotts they will be great players next year and beyond !

Definatley through the playoffs this year! How long will cotterill and skuse stay in this division? i know its a long shot but if this run keeps going we can nick sixth place and put that leon knightmare of last season behind us once and for all! G.J has got the team fitter and even persuaded scott murray to run again and remember where the goal is. So thats one miracle sixth place G.J's second???

Definatley through the playoffs this year! How long will cotterill and skuse stay in this division? i know its a long shot but if this run keeps going we can nick sixth place and put that leon knightmare of last season behind us once and for all! G.J has got the team fitter and even persuaded scott murray to run again and remember where the goal is. So thats one miracle sixth place G.J's second???

They've both recently signed extended contracts, so at least another 2-3 seasons unless we can a very large offer.

They've both recently signed extended contracts, so at least another 2-3 seasons unless we can a very large offer.

These guys wouldnt be signing with a view to playing championship football next year, they may be thinking it could happen but I'm sure GJ and SL would have told them that they are a key figure in the future of BCFC. With this in mind I hope they have signed in order to stay and become that person rather than just so we can ask for some money for them at the end of the year !

aye pushing for play-off promotion this season would be great and if that time & game comes, it would be great.. but as much as id love to see that come true, serious chances of that happening are slim this season! i will be happy enough to team-build in strength, possibly new some new signing or wotever this season & push for serious promotion chances next season... as long as we're far enough from that bottom 3 come end of season! :pinch:

Archived