IGNORED

12 Points Off The Play-offs

Robbored

After tonights results City are a massive 12 points off a play-off place.Does anyone think that City have a realistic chance of reaching them?

If you do - then get real!

After Johnson led the team to 7 consequetive league defeats it was always going to be a wasted season.The only "excitement" we can look forward to is the possibilty of a relegation dogfight.Thankfully that looks unlikely - but you never know..... :crying:

After tonights results City are a massive 12 points off a play-off place.Does anyone think that City have a realistic chance of reaching them?

After Johnson led the team to 7 consequetive league defeats it was always going to be a wasted season.The only "excitement" we can look forward to is the possibilty of a relegation dogfight.Thankfully that looks unlikely - but you never know..... :crying:

Anythings possible ....but I think we want a miricle :blush:

60 odd points to play for - stranger things have happened.

Maybe it would be a good idea to get down the Gate early on Saturday and quote your first two paragraphs to all the players as they arrive - with any luck they will be 'realistic' too and ensure that rather than get as many points as they can and hope for the best, they settle for a place just above the relegation zone.

Guest Harry Dolman

Still in Tinnion denial then Robbo. You don't think the start to the season had anything to do with it then??

When Johnson arrived every sensible City fan I know said that "survivial" was the aim, in my eyes nothing has changed.

Still in Tinnion denial then Robbo. You don't think the start to the season had anything to do with it then??

When Johnson arrived every sensible City fan I know said that "survivial" was the aim, in my eyes nothing has changed.

Not denial - just a balanced view. 7 points from 9 games is roughly 1.2 points per game. No points from 7 games is .......

If Johnson had managed just one point per game during his "I'll drop the lot of you,I'm in charge" period, then City would have a far better chance of getting something out of this season - but what is done is done.

I don't think it is and the only results that count here on in are ours.

Simply put, if we can average 2 points a game, we have a very slim chance of making it and a point a game will probably keep us up.

The players that come in during the window have a very big part to play in that.

As I posted recently, if we can take 20 points from the next ten games we'll be safe and let's have a look then.

As you say, that 0 points from 21 period really blew it and I hope GJ has learnt his lesson :angry:

Has a team never made up a 12 point gap?! well then start showing some faith. we're pasting teams at the moment

Steady! It's improved, had to really, but let's see where we are week by week before we start going ape. :)

and you can't say the top 6 won't drop points because they will.

And so will we :cool:

say we have to play the team in 6th place if we win then the gap is only down to 9 points then :)

And if we draw it's still 9 or if they win it's still 12, but with one less game.

I'd love to see it but we're not playing well enough away yet to make up a gap like that and we'll have to start winning one in two away and most of our home games to make up the difference.

Far from impossible, just unlikely :)

Guest Harry Dolman

Not denial - just a balanced view. 7 points from 9 games is roughly 1.2 points per game. No points from 7 games is .......

If Johnson had managed just one point per game during his "I'll drop the lot of you,I'm in charge" period, then City would have a far better chance of getting something out of this season - but what is done is done.

We will have to agree to differ as I still don't understand how people can agree that "major cultural change" was required, yet somehow Johnson was meant to do this, in a short space of time, yet in a subtle manner ??

Statistically I am hopeless, but I am sure that 7 points from 9 games is actually 0.77 pts per game (if we had less than 9 pts from 9 games then the average has to be < 1).

If you flatten out the good run/very bad run/good run, by my maths, since Johnson arrived his average is 1.36 points per game.

Sniper alert ,sniper alert!

Goodness gracious me ,surely not Robbored knocking GJ again.

I am sure that you hope we don't make the play offs. So you can continue to bore us all with your opinion that GJ wrecked the season by instilling some long overdue discipline at Ashton Gate.

New record please.

Sniper alert ,sniper alert!

Goodness gracious me ,surely not Robbored knocking GJ again.

I am sure that you hope we don't make the play offs. So you can continue to bore us all with your opinion that GJ wrecked the season by instilling some long overdue discipline at Ashton Gate.

New record please.

so 0 points from 7 games wasn't even a tiny weeny bit the fault of GJ?!

Guest Harry Dolman

so 0 points from 7 games wasn't even a tiny weeny bit the fault of GJ?!

Of course it was partially his fault. But bearing in mind he took over a team 2nd bottom (fresh from a 7-1 reverse) expecting him to reach the PO's is perhaps a tad over ambitious (& fuelled almost entirely by the fact we did well when he 1st came in - a common pattern with any new manager).

Whatever anyone said at the start of the season, the squad isn't great - we lack balance on the left & lack pace upfront. Until Johnson paired Noble & Russell in the middle we also lacked a decent central midfield.

"What is done is done".Exactly!So why keep harping on about it?

A 12 point gap is always going to be unlikely.

However, until its mathematically impossible, wheres the problem in having confidence, faith and determination?!

It was around this time two years ago that Crystal Palace began the extraordinary run of form which took them from a place in the bottom three to promotion through the play-offs.

27th December 2005

Taking Crystal Palace as an example of what could happen, up until December, Crystal Palace had won 8 games.

(Bristol City had won 4 - but racked up a number of draws.)

From December - May, Crystal Palace had won 12, drawn 3, and lost 9.

It would involve us of going on a run in which we only lost 2 or 3 games, but it is possible.

Tinnion didn't even last 9 games, he was out after Swansea when we had 6 points from 7. The next two were under Millen from which we took 1 point.

Johnson has since added 23 points from 17 games, not a points return that will take us up but unquestionably better per game than Tinnion.

What makes people believe the play-offs might be possible is that we are now on our best run of form of the season and if we continue picking up 14 points every 6 games (which we won't) the playoffs are not out of the question.

If you really back Tinnion's record over Johnson's I'll let you pick any sequence of 7 games (4 homes 3 aways as Tinnion had) between now and the end of the season and I'll bet you any money you like we will return 6 points or more...

we lost seven laegue games. everyone knows, we all hurt. why keep harping on about it? support the team and we should do ok this season (mid table). we can do nothing about the past, but we can throw our support behind the lads and make the future brighter. the power of positive thinking is underrated.

No, but then again, I didn't think we would make the play-offs at the start of the season. My only hope is that we stay out of the bottom 4. Anything else is a bonus after the 1st half of the season we had.

Guest Harry Dolman

An interesting, but hypothetical question......... I wonder what peoples opinions on Johnson would be if the 7 game run of defeats hadn't happened, but those defeats were spread amongst all the games we've played under him. Our points would be the same but we wouldn't have had the "low" of the record No of defeats.

Guest REDCIDERARMY

You never know if we can carry on at two points as game with twenty remaining that would give us 69 points has been done before I think Brighton got that amount.

You never know if we can carry on at two pints as game with twenty remaining that would give us 69 points has been done before I think Brighton got that amount.

I think our players can manage more than 2 pints a game. Most of them need more than that I need.

In all seriousness 69 points would not be enough. To get 60 points from here would be quite reasonable.

I think our players can manage more than 2 pints a game. Most of them need more than that I need.

In all seriousness 69 points would not be enough. To get 60 points from here would be quite reasonable.

I do a lot of football betting on Betfair Exchange, and from a recent high of 30/1 a couple of weeks ago, the City have just come in from 15/1 to a present price of 6/1 to be promoted. At the start of the season they were 6/4. If we pick up 7-9 points from our next 3 games, and we purchase/loan wisely in the present window I can see us sneaking into 6th or 5th place. You read it here first! But as I am a cautious punter I don't think I will be investing anything. My great prediction at the start of the season was that Reading wouldn't finish in the top six in their division, and I couldn't understand why Lita had gone their. Just how wrong could I have been!

You never know if we can carry on at two pints as game with twenty remaining that would give us 69 points has been done before I think Brighton got that amount.

I agree that 2 pints a game is nothing for the current squad. Even SL could manage 4 pints of Murphy's and we know what a lightweight he is. These boys could easily sink 10-12 pints in one sitting and still be first in line at the kebab shop.

:city:

Archived