IGNORED

Has Johnson Convinced You

Guest Legend City Man

Guest Legend City Man

Not for me yet, heres why

Still near the bottom, no convincing signings, 9 defeats in a row, dodgy form, not good enough attacking wise..

Thats not to say he wont convince me...

Still near the bottom, no convincing signings, 9 defeats in a row, dodgy form, not good enough attacking wise..

He has convinced me that given time he will make this team alot better, I feel he hand his hands tied when he took over and had to motivate a team he didn't know very well.

Hes getting his own team now and i'm sure things will get better and better !

so YES

Still near the bottom,

We're further off the bottom than when he started.

no convincing signings,

Basso? Noble?

dodgy form,

Unbeaten in 6? 14 points from a possible 18? 3 goals conceded in that time?

not good enough attacking wise..

11 goals in the last 6 matches isn't bad - including 8 in the last 3 home games.

I'm not sure he will, actually.

Not yet is the simple answer.

I'm as pleased as punch with our recent form, who wouldn't be?

However, it's not lost on me that our ressurgence started when GJ wised up to the fact that hs loan singings were pants and that the players he had could get the job done,as they had when he arrived.

The team now being hailed by some as play off contenders, is mostly the one that he inherited.

Team

GJ 3

DW 2

BT 6

Bench

BT 2

DW 2

GJ 1........and he's just left!

Overall that's just 4 players that GJ's signed in a 16 man squad.

Now, I know there were a few things that happened beyond his control like brawls in nightclubs and injuries to Heywood and I've always allowed for that, but he overreaccted and suceeded in pi$$ing off the entire squad in the process.

I hope he hearned. I think he's learned.

Now ask me in ten games time when the January signings have arrived and, if we're sitting on 50 points or more, I'll probably say he is the right man.

Unbeaten in 6? 14 points from a possible 18? 3 goals conceded in that time?

Great Improvement, like I said, but don't forget the first four league games with the team he inherited were P4 W3 D0 L1 we scored 7, conceeded four and picked up 9 points!!!

Then he set to work, threw hand grenades,brought the loans in and we lost 9 games on the spin with 0 points from 21!

I'm confident he's learnt from his mistakes. When he came in at first he said he wasn't thinking about promotion, but about progress.

Have we progressed from the day before he took over? Undoubtedly. The losing run was terrible for us but this recent good form has almost completely made up for it in my mind and I'm happy to have him in charge of my club.

Let's hope he can keep it up!

Noble, Bas, Basso have all been good signings so far!......we had a very bad run, but things behind the scenes at the club had to be sorted out and he's getting there, not good enough attacking wise? recent for suggests otherwise...........

to early to judge, but overall I'm happy with the way things are going overall since he took over.

Legend City Man...........now are we sure he's a man? or 12year old chav?

He has convinced me that given time he will make this team alot better, I feel he hand his hands tied when he took over and had to motivate a team he didn't know very well.

Well he made a better job of that than motivating his own players (loans) because we started with 3 wins out of 4 in the League.

Hes getting his own team now and i'm sure things will get better and better !

so YES

See my post about "his own team."

I'm confident he's learnt from his mistakes. When he came in at first he said he wasn't thinking about promotion, but about progress.

Have we progressed from the day before he took over? Undoubtedly. The losing run was terrible for us but this recent good form has almost completely made up for it in my mind and I'm happy to have him in charge of my club.

Let's hope he can keep it up!

Amen to that :pray:

Nearly everything he has done and said has been spot on IMO. It's going to take a long time to turn around this mess. In the long run that hand grenade was needed. I'm a little concerned by his bringing in players like Savage but any manager who realises Phillips is a one trick pony has my backing. Also the signings of Noble and Basso suggest he is on the right track.

Nearly everything he has done and said has been spot on IMO.

Ahem-I know you said "nearly" but:

a.Loans

b.Hand Grenades.

c.0 points out of 21.

d.Club Record 9 defeats on the spin.

e.Don't judge me on these players-12 of the played on Saturday!!

Those aren't minor things

It's going to take a long time to turn around this mess. In the long run that hand grenade was needed.

I hope you're right

I'm a little concerned by his bringing in players like Savage but any manager who realises Phillips is a one trick pony has my backing. Also the signings of Noble and Basso suggest he is on the right track.

Yes, i am convinced we have the right man. Everything that has happened since (bleep) left apart from the 9 straight defeats which granted is a huge thing has made me more positive and optomistic about where this club is going. He has bought in some very good signings, Noble, Basso, Savage?? and we have seen the mighty Scotts man get back to his best since Gj has been here. We seem to be on a good run now and I'm pretty sure now Gj is the chap to take us places :englandsmile4wf:

I am. He seems to be bringing a professional outlook to the club. The side is fitter in 3 months since he has been here than for as long as i can remember.

I think in time once he brings some of his own players in we will see even better results.

Back the manager and back the club!

Most of the current squad have done it or can do it for City. One more signing and we will be where SL nominated, 1 or 2 signings. We have two other faxed offers out there.

It looks like a consolidation plan until seasons end. Teams like Swansea are just getting stronger, and if we make the play offs it will be down to some wins instead of close draws.

We could be very close to the right team, needs just a final tweak. I agree with GJ 's keeping Savage until seasons end, then out, he is not a footballer, he is an unusual option. To be in the Championship league we do need better not unusual .

GJ needs to make his peace with Stewart, because both have their supporters and both want City to win. Forget the tall poppy syndrome, lets kiss, make up, and get the job done.

Nearly everything he has done and said has been spot on IMO. It's going to take a long time to turn around this mess. In the long run that hand grenade was needed. I'm a little concerned by his bringing in players like Savage but any manager who realises Phillips is a one trick pony has my backing. Also the signings of Noble and Basso suggest he is on the right track.

If it means another run of 9 straight defeats then he can keep the grenade in his pocket thanks very much !!!

good management is like good politics. you shouldn't ask those you lead for they want to see you do, you set out a vision for them and ask them to either subscribe to it or look elsewhere.

this season i've seen us fall to our biggest loss since i can remember and our longest run of defeats since i can remember as well.

the first was more painful.

why? because under tinnion we were 'getting away' with it, if even that. we didn't look like a team, just a group of football players surviving on modest talent and adequate instincts.

GJ has spent the best part of the last several months drilling in to the players what he is looking for, and i know people will disagree with me, but i think it was a very catharic and required experience. i hated every minuite of it, but now the team looks fitter, more organised and focused. and i truely believe that we can, and will get much better.

as for the whole argument about the 'hand grenade' and 'tinnion's players', i think that is all rubbish quite frankly.

in GJs positon after southend i would have cancelled about 3-4 players contracts on the spot, and thought it money well spent, so a bit of home truth is getting off lightly in my opionion. its not like anything he said wasn't called for. the aftermath is the fault of whichever players couldn't take the cold hard truth about their performances, and it say more about their professionalism than GJs man management.

also, tinnion might have signed certain players, but he was only their gaffer for 3 and a half months (8 league/cup games), the same amount of time as GJ now has had to work with them. just because tinnion got them to sign a contract doesn't make him anymore of a mr. miyagi-like mentor to them as it would make SL. GJ got the loans in, they shook things up, and now we are seeing which players want to play for the bristol city shirt, and which (like grant smith) worked out that tinnion's inexperience could allow them to coast along and half speed whilst getting paid more in a couple of months than some fans earn in a year. some, like bridges, were keen but didn't fit GJ plan, so they are gone, but that happens in management. you can't please everyone and shouldn't try to.

the players wouldnt ever had played like this under tinnion, they didn't have to, he wouldn't know how to make them. it was a painful transition, but now we have a set of fit, determined players. they just aren't the same players as they were under tinnion.

i think we finally have someone who will bring long term stability and sustainable success. he is a real manager, willing to make hard choices, work himself and his charges correctly and invest clarity of purpose where there was only vauge direction previously. so yes, he has conviced me he is the man for the job. i believe (more than i ever have under any other manager) we will be in the championship in two seasons, starting next term.

Yes he has convinced me, when he took over we were shambolic and he has steadied the ship. He hasn't really had time to deal in the transfer window yet and as he says on BCFC world nothing will probably be done towards the end of the month.

Our form lately has been good and we are undefeated in 6 games, things are looking good.

good management is like good politics. you shouldn't ask those you lead for they want to see you do, you set out a vision for them and ask them to either subscribe to it or look elsewhere.

this season i've seen us fall to our biggest loss since i can remember and our longest run of defeats since i can remember as well.

the first was more painful.

why? because under tinnion we were 'getting away' with it, if even that. we didn't look like a team, just a group of football players surviving on modest talent and adequate instincts.

GJ has spent the best part of the last several months drilling in to the players what he is looking for, and i know people will disagree with me, but i think it was a very catharic and required experience. i hated every minuite of it, but now the team looks fitter, more organised and focused. and i truely believe that we can, and will get much better.

as for the whole argument about the 'hand grenade' and 'tinnion's players', i think that is all rubbish quite frankly.

in GJs positon after southend i would have cancelled about 3-4 players contracts on the spot, and thought it money well spent, so a bit of home truth is getting off lightly in my opionion. its not like anything he said wasn't called for. the aftermath is the fault of whichever players couldn't take the cold hard truth about their performances, and it say more about their professionalism than GJs man management.

also, tinnion might have signed certain players, but he was only their gaffer for 3 and a half months (8 league/cup games), the same amount of time as GJ now has had to work with them. just because tinnion got them to sign a contract doesn't make him anymore of a mr. miyagi-like mentor to them as it would make SL. GJ got the loans in, they shook things up, and now we are seeing which players want to play for the bristol city shirt, and which (like grant smith) worked out that tinnion's inexperience could allow them to coast along and half speed whilst getting paid more in a couple of months than some fans earn in a year. some, like bridges, were keen but didn't fit GJ plan, so they are gone, but that happens in management. you can't please everyone and shouldn't try to.

the players wouldnt ever had played like this under tinnion, they didn't have to, he wouldn't know how to make them. it was a painful transition, but now we have a set of fit, determined players. they just aren't the same players as they were under tinnion.

i think we finally have someone who will bring long term stability and sustainable success. he is a real manager, willing to make hard choices, work himself and his charges correctly and invest clarity of purpose where there was only vauge direction previously. so yes, he has conviced me he is the man for the job. i believe (more than i ever have under any other manager) we will be in the championship in two seasons, starting next term.

NAIL WELL AND TRULLY HIT ON HEAD

The team now being hailed by some as play off contenders, is mostly the one that he inherited.

Team

GJ 3

DW 2

BT 6

Bench

BT 2

DW 2

GJ 1........and he's just left!

Overall that's just 4 players that GJ's signed in a 16 man squad.

Ahem...we're only 11 days into the transfer window...what exact proprtion of GJ players did you expect to see in the side by now?

Guest Harry Dolman

There seems to be a common mis-conception that Johnson took over, took 9 points from 12 & then went a bit loopy re loans, hand grenades etc.

That isn't exactly what happened.

Yes he took 9 point from the 1st 12.

However you could then argue that the team slipped back into bad ways - defeats to Barnet, Oldham, Chesterfield etc.

None of these games resulted in hand grenades. This came after either the Southend or the Notts Co game (I can't remember which).

There are things that Johnson has got wrong in my eyes, mainly loaning out Woodman, getting in Younga & freezing out Keogh. However to pretend that everything was going great & then he threw the hand grenade is quite wrong, he threw it when things went pear shaped.

We can only speculate, but look at his from his view. You take over a team that despite being pre season favourites is 2nd bottom with a reputation for an active "social" side. There is an immediate impact with good results. Then 3 1st teamers get arrested (& whilst not arrested, even the club captain was present, breaking club rules). Subsequently the wheels fall off & all the bad habits come back. I think given that scenario a lot of managers (from any field) will have gone for the "shock" tactics employed by Johnson.

Guest ashtonyate

Is he going to be any good who knows I will not really judging until his third season unless it all goes tits up, like I did with Wilson.All managers have got to have luck to survive as well as ability if Tinnion had a full fit squad he may have been still here i think he was unlucky.

As for Johnson I think the old addage comes to mind sorry tom "Bull poo baffles brains"I think he talks the talk only time will tell if he can walk the walk

Is he going to be any good who knows I will not really judging until his third season unless it all goes tits up, like I did with Wilson.All managers have got to have luck to survive as well as ability if Tinnion had a full fit squad he may have been still here i think he was unlucky.

As for Johnson I think the old addage comes to mind sorry tom "Bull poo baffles brains"I think he talks the talk only time will tell if he can walk the walk

Tinnion unlucky?, the only unlucky thing about Tinnion was the fact he was offered the job in the first place, he was nowhere near ready to take the job on, superb player, but in my opinion, the job of managing the City was far too big for him.

Your second point regarding GJ about him being able to "walk the walk" as you call it, has already been proved by what he has already achieved at this level of football. I think he will do a good job for us, surely even you can see how much fitter the players are for a start, and this was after BT had said he was happy with the players fitness when reporting back for pre season training.

To see why GJ was employed in the first place, and what he was up againt when he came here you have got to look at the bigger picture.

Since we came down from what used to be called the second division we have had the mental mind set that we were too big a club to be in the third division, and if we spent enough money we would get promoted as a right.

Staff were engaged, both players and coaching, a good number of whom who could have survived in the second division, again the mind set being, that with these player all we would have to do is turn up and promotion would happen.

When it did not happen this way players lost intrest, training almost became optional for some, and some became more intrested in "none football past times".

This was why BT had such a large clear out of players when he took over, but did not have what it took to follow it through.

GJ has been brought in to change the mind set to accept that we will actually have to go out and win this division, and nothing will happen just becuase we want it to.

I see him creating a"team" specifically for the purpose of getting promoted, rather the one to survive in the second division and assuming promotion will follow automatically.

When and if (and i do think it will be when, but not this season) we get promoted he will then build the team for the division above.

The pain we have all been through with those nine losses was part of this process of engaging everyone in the reality of our situation and getting everyone to roll up their sleeves and work together.

This is a lost season, we will not get promoted, and we were not going to get promted prior to GJ arriving.

What we have got from this season is a club that now has its focus right, and knows where it is going and how to achive its aims. And in my opnion it is a very long time since we have had that.

Ahem...we're only 11 days into the transfer window...what exact proprtion of GJ players did you expect to see in the side by now?

Well we had about eight on the field at Doncaster including HIS loan signings-How's that??

Oh sorry they don't count, do they.

I think they would have done for Tinnion, though, wouldn't they :angry:

Regarding BBs revolution/evolution

The players deserved the hand grenades and to be (I said a naughty word) off, I know I was. Even if the loanees didnt work, they at least shook up our regular "stars" enough to realise that they wouldnt be safe unless they performed, which is what we are now seeing. Revolution, as you call it may have been expensive in the short term but will hopefully pay off over the next few seasons.

Well we had about eight on the field at Doncaster including HIS loan signings-How's that??

Oh sorry they don't count, do they.

I think they would have done for Tinnion, though, wouldn't they :angry:

isn't this all a bit achidemic now? yes certain loans were rubbish, but at least they were just that; loans. unlike grant smith and jamie smith we don't have to pay their contracts till the end of this and next season, or bridges who we were luck to find a club for. the two players he has signed permanetly in basso and noble look promosing buys. the loans were stop gaps, nothing more. quinn even looked pretty good at oldham, and would wager he isnt actually all that bad. joseph is now signing for blackpool and has a proven record at this level. the loans and the form at the time we had them were a product of bigger problems at the club. the problems came first, not the loans. they were a symptom, not a cause.

Where did you read that :whistle:

Comparisons between BT & GJ are pointless.BT was sacked for failing.The fact that SL flogged his best player a few days before the start of the season probably didn't help and BT could say with some justification that he, for example, wouldn't have sold Heff if he knew LL was going.I blame the player mostly for that.Criticism of GJ doesn't mean support for Tinnion.

Go down that road and you're into the "Well, if you don't like Wilson, you're a Pulis Fan," territory and that's nonsense.

Well, we need to get much better, because four from bottom doesn't satisfy me.My issue with this "necessary and cathargic experience" was that, whilst it may have been cathargic, it wasn't necessary and if GJ had stuck with the team that beat Brentford & Barnsley, not gone as mad on the loans, looked for quality and not quantity and shake up front, then we could well be 7 points better off ,halfway up the table, and five points off the play offs, at least.

Why? It was GJ's exact quote

in GJs positon after southend i would have cancelled about 3-4 players contracts on the spot, and thought it money well spent, so a bit of home truth is getting off lightly in my opionion.

Oh yeh, great move, pay off 2/3 contracts and leave no money for the transfer window.Well doe.Master stroke of management, that.

its not like anything he said wasn't called for. the aftermath is the fault of whichever players couldn't take the cold hard truth about their performances, and it say more about their professionalism than GJs man management.

It might well say something about the players however, you can't direct it at the entire team because that will just unify them against you and they'll collaborate on your ultimate failure.Hence 9 defeats, two against poor League 2 sides.

also, tinnion might have signed certain players, but he was only their gaffer for 3 and a half months (8 league/cup games), the same amount of time as GJ now has had to work with them. just because tinnion got them to sign a contract doesn't make him anymore of a mr. miyagi-like mentor to them as it would make SL.

Nobody said he is and that isn't the point.The point is that GJ won 3 out of 4 witha team made up hugely of those crap players on which "he couldn't be judged2 and to whom he reverted to save his job!

GJ got the loans in, they shook things up, and now we are seeing which players want to play for the bristol city shirt,

If shook things up means nine straight defeats then we could have saved the money and just played our Youth Team........or me, you and nine other blokes.

and which (like grant smith) worked out that tinnion's inexperience could allow them to coast along and half speed whilst getting paid more in a couple of months than some fans earn in a year.

If we're going to get rid of players at half speed then BT did his share of ridding the club of those.I don't think Grant Smith did anything wrong in his time here.As you say, Tins signed him as our wide left player and he isn't.Don't balame the player for that or how much he negotiated to join us.

some, like bridges, were keen but didn't fit GJ plan, so they are gone, but that happens in management. you can't please everyone and shouldn't try to.

Bridges was another Tinnion mistake and he paniced after losing LL.You can't please everyone, it's true.It's necessary however, to please some and during his hand grenade era, GJ didn't please anyone.

the players wouldnt ever had played like this under tinnion, they didn't have to, he wouldn't know how to make them.

We finshed 7th last season.

it was a painful transition, but now we have a set of fit, determined players. they just aren't the same players as they were under tinnion.

:blink:Apart from three, they're exactly the same as the ones who beat Brentford & Barnsley

i think we finally have someone who will bring long term stability and sustainable success. he is a real manager, willing to make hard choices, work himself and his charges correctly and invest clarity of purpose where there was only vauge direction previously.

Got hold of that book again :shifty:

so yes, he has conviced me he is the man for the job. i believe (more than i ever have under any other manager) we will be in the championship in two seasons, starting next term.

Well I hope you're right about that for all of our sakes.

Archived