IGNORED

Savage's "sitter"

tompo

Quite a few people are saying that Savage missed a sitter. Can someone tell me when that was please?

Only miss I can recall was in the first half when he put one over when perhaps he should have scored. However, as was judged by the linesman to have been offside and a free kick awarded then perhaps people are being a bit harsh.

Overall I think he deserved his MOM today. No one played badly but no one really stood out. Brooker was - Brooker and Heywood, Carey and Orr had reasonable games but the goal shaded it for Savage.

Guest alex1089

Brooker was absolutly fantastic and he deserved a goal along with MOTM imo, savage was quite good but was awfull in the first half but improved in the second half. The defence were as solid as a rock, proved with the goal being the biggest fluke ever against the best strikeforce in the league.

Quite a few people are saying that Savage missed a sitter. Can someone tell me when that was please?

Only miss I can recall was in the first half when he put one over when perhaps he should have scored. However, as was judged by the linesman to have been offside and a free kick awarded then perhaps people are being a bit harsh.

Overall I think he deserved his MOM today. No one played badly but no one really stood out. Brooker was - Brooker and Heywood, Carey and Orr had reasonable games but the goal shaded it for Savage.

3 things that stick in my mind.

Missing a simple volley from 6 yards after missing a header just before (might have been given offside but he didn't know that).

Shooting from inside just inside the box slightly to the right in the first half and pulling the shot so badly it went backwards.

Failing to connect with a ball on the edge of the box in the second half with a clear shot on goal, got tangled in his feet.

There were other unforced errors in his play but for some reason a couple of stepovers and a run into nowhere and people forget them. I stand by my opinion that he's not good enough for this level despite the effort and enthusiasm, I know plenty will disagree but this is a forum.

Nibor

Missing a simple volley from 6 yards after missing a header just before (might have been given offside but he didn't know that).

Shooting from inside just inside the box slightly to the right in the first half and pulling the shot so badly it went backwards.

Failing to connect with a ball on the edge of the box in the second half with a clear shot on goal, got tangled in his feet.

There were other unforced errors in his play but for some reason a couple of stepovers and a run into nowhere and people forget them. I stand by my opinion that he's not good enough for this level despite the effort and enthusiasm, I know plenty will disagree but this is a forum.

Nibor

I agree Nibor. Savage was dreadful in the first half but did improve second half. Nowhere near good enough to win MOM IMO but because he scored he got the votes. Noble, Brooker and Heywood were much better for me. Despite his goal can anyone realistically see him being a force in this league? He just isn't good enough long term.

I thought Bradley Orr was the best I've seen him, instead of hoofing it up field all the time he put some nice, simple but clever balls in and held onto the ball more than usual, getting a cracking shot in early on. Aint a bad player at all.

I agree Nibor. Savage was dreadful in the first half but did improve second half. Nowhere near good enough to win MOM IMO but because he scored he got the votes. Noble, Brooker and Heywood were much better for me. Despite his goal can anyone realistically see him being a force in this league? He just isn't good enough long term.

Yes, I can. It's a shame you can't see the obvious qualities he has. I freely admit he's a bit raw, but he's a young bloke just like Cotts and Skuse. In my opinion, he has an excellent first touch, can run with the ball and always manages to find a red shirt with his passes and lay offs. I certainly don't recall him mssing any "sitters". I do remember one snatched left foot volley, which he slightly miss-hit, but I don't call that a "sitter". I thought he was effective and demonstrate he has loads of potential. I remember Leroy Lita looking very raw once as well.

Nibor

I totally agree.

As a player he gives his best, His reading of the game is poor, I would like to see Stewart start a few games just to see if there are any goals left in him. Savage has had a good run, but nows the time for a bit quality, you don't become a bad player overnight. Brooker needs someone to compliment his skills.

Yes, I can. It's a shame you can't see the obvious qualities he has. I freely admit he's a bit raw, but he's a young bloke just like Cotts and Skuse. In my opinion, he has an excellent first touch, can run with the ball and always manages to find a red shirt with his passes and lay offs. I certainly don't recall him mssing any "sitters". I do remember one snatched left foot volley, which he slightly miss-hit, but I don't call that a "sitter". I thought he was effective and demonstrate he has loads of potential. I remember Leroy Lita looking very raw once as well.

He was 6 or 8 yards from goal, right in the centre with just the keeper to beat and the ball was sat up perfectly, that's a sitter in my book. He's not a young guy like Cotterill or Skuse, he has 4 or 5 years on them. He has a comparable amount of first team experience, but ask yourself why.

Although he doesn't often give the ball away he doesn't do anything useful with it or put people through, and as for control I think it's extremely hit and miss. Superb touch to take a long ball one minute, and then a simple throw in bounces off him and runs 5 yards the next.

I would love to be proved wrong but I guess we will see in time.

Nibor

Having watched Savage several times now I still can't work him out.The blokes a complete enigma.One second he miscontrolls the simplest of passes and then he goes off on a run full of step-overs and gets in a great cross.

Consistancy is the word I'm looking for - and Savage ain't got any.

I'll put it down to his youth.......

Guest Harvey9

Spot on dagest, this alex kid is alway son his back for something or other. I'm sure he would find something to moan about even if Bas scored a hat trick! :@. If he is so poor then why is GK playing him every week?

Spot on dagest, this alex kid is alway son his back for something or other. I'm sure he would find something to moan about even if Bas scored a hat trick! :@. If he is so poor then why is GK playing him every week?

I'm not on his back- was good to see him score.. I just don't rate him and once again I gave my honest opinion. Was great to see him score but he is nowhere near good enough long term. I don't know why GJ plays him everyweek and to be honest this is the first thing that GJ has done that I have not ageed with but there you go.

Archived