IGNORED

New Signing On Loan - Liam Fontaine

JonPikeUK

From Fulham until the end of the season. Don't know that much about him, but here's a bit. Guess there's the Yeovil link:

Liam Fontaine (b. January 7th, 1986 in Beckenham, London) is a football (soccer) player currently playing for Fulham, in the English Premiership. He is 189.5cm tall and weighs 77kg

He has represented England at Under-16 and Under-17 level, but as yet has not made much of an impact in the Fulham team, mainly playing when injuries prevent more experienced players from playing. However, he made a couple of appearances during his breakthrough season, 2004-05, his debut coming against Southampton at St. Mary's on January 5th, albeit with Fontaine on the pitch for only a few minutes. The game was drawn 3-3.

Fontaine also spent some time at Yeovil Town earlier in that season. His loan move was initially for a single month, but later was extended by a further two months.

On the basis of what we've seen arrive from Charlton,I'm pretty underwelmed by the signing of Liam Fontaine. :Sleep12:

If he's as good as Youga we'd be better off with Dame Margot Fontaine :D and it's another smack in the mouth for Keogh, Fortune & Co.

I'm not prejudging the player, I hope he's fantastic but it's not the signing news I'd hoped for.

5' 11" & 12 stone.

Played 38 First Team Games at Yeovil, Kilmarnock & Fulham.Never scored.

From Fulham until the end of the season. Don't know that much about him, but here's a bit. Guess there's the Yeovil link:

Liam Fontaine (b. January 7th, 1986 in Beckenham, London) is a football (soccer) player currently playing for Fulham, in the English Premiership. He is 189.5cm tall and weighs 77kg

He has represented England at Under-16 and Under-17 level, but as yet has not made much of an impact in the Fulham team, mainly playing when injuries prevent more experienced players from playing. However, he made a couple of appearances during his breakthrough season, 2004-05, his debut coming against Southampton at St. Mary's on January 5th, albeit with Fontaine on the pitch for only a few minutes. The game was drawn 3-3.

Fontaine also spent some time at Yeovil Town earlier in that season. His loan move was initially for a single month, but later was extended by a further two months.

Where's this info from, and what position does he play?

According to the main site he is a defender who can play centre back and left back (squad number 25)

Gary Johnsen says other clubs were chasing him but he came to City to work with johnsen again. he was onloan with Yeovil twice and is highly rated by johnsen

This is his profile on the Fulham site

http://www.fulhamfc.com/pprofiles/football...files_72_316821

According to the main site he is a defender who can play centre back and left back (squad number 25)

Just like Youga. In fairness, he was equally crap in either position :rolleyes:

Gary Johnsen says other clubs were chasing him but he came to City to work with johnsen again.

That old chestnut :whistle:

he was onloan with Yeovil twice and is highly rated by johnsen

So where Sankofa & Youga

This is his profile on the Fulham site

http://www.fulhamfc.com/pprofiles/football...files_72_316821

Here's hoping, but he looks like cover for either fullback with CF out on loan and Smith going, we hope!

I don't understand why we got rid of one promising young left back to loan in another but anyway.

I'd imagine he's here to compete for left back with Woodman and offer cover for centre half. I can't see Johnson being mad enough to put Carey back in the position he was so poor in earlier this season after such a massive improvement, and Orr is doing well.

Hopefully he has a bit of attacking in his game, then we'd just need a left winger and that quick striker.

Nibor

I don't understand why we got rid of one promising young left back to loan in another but anyway.

I suspect it has something to do with getting 160k for Golbourne, whereas Fontaine will be free in the summer. If we spend some of that 160k on a decent quick striker I'll be happy.

I watched Liam Fontaine play 3/4 times during Yeo's promotion year and he always stood out to me, similar to Sankofa rather than Youga. Ok it was at level lower, but he looked an intelligent player with a fair amount of pace.

Every game I saw he was at Centre back, I would say he's just what we need, the defence is going well at present but a lack of pace looms round the corner, Fontaine will put pressure on all defensive positions if you think Carey could switch to righ back if necessary.

Early doors but in my opinion well worth a chance.

Youga and Sankofa wern't on loan at Yeovil as far as I know.

How very clever :whistle:

The remark was about GJ taking another opportunity to "big himself up" as the rude boys say!

Well, I hope he is better than the last left back Johnson got on board.

:pray::pray:

His last game was on 23rd December for Yeovil so he's not match fit -

Just for once, I'd love to see us sign someone that was playing regular first team football and who was, just once :angry:

I'm trying really hard not to pre-judge this lad,

Me too, but it's deja vu, mate

but this smacks of Youga all over again - "good distribution".."other clubs wanted him but he wanted to play for me"..."highly regarded by his club"...etc. I don't think I'll be on my own in that respect, which is unfair on the lad himself, but the last highly regarded, good distributor left back loanee who wanted to play for Johnson was crap.

That he was and you omitted that "he can play all along the back four" :D What GJ meant is that Youga was equally bad wherever he played in the back four!!

I hope Johnson doesn't start friggin around with the back four tomorrow night by chucking this lad in.

I think he'll replace Smith on the bench.

I hope he leaves well alone.....just like he did when he came in and we won 3 out of 4 League games :rolleyes::whistle: with the crap players on which Gary soundbite couldn't be judged :shutup:

• Admin

I wonder whether this deal had been agreed prior to Scott Golbourne moving to Reading ?, on one hand it would explain letting him go as there is a replacement left back arriving for no transfer fee (could join for free in the summer).

If it was a done deal I wonder why it took until now to bring him in.

I suppose the fact that he wanted to play for GJ again must be a good sign, may get more out of him than the Charlton guys if there is a good understanding in what is needed out of him, Fontaine will not be such an unknown player to GJ

• Admin

At least Liam can speak English which already gives him one advantage over Kelly.

Just been reading the Yeovil forums and basically he's just ended an extended loan spell there saying something along the lines of "I'm going back to Fulham to try and earn a new contract" when in actual fact just a couple of weeks later he's joined us. Looks like the new contract he wanted to earn was at Ashton Gate.......and they're not best pleased about that which I see as a good sign :dance:

I wonder whether this deal had been agreed prior to Scott Golbourne moving to Reading ?, on one hand it would explain letting him go as there is a replacement left back arriving for no transfer fee (could join for free in the summer).

Played CB for Yeovil.

If it was a done deal I wonder why it took until now to bring him in.

I suppose the fact that he wanted to play for GJ again must be a good sign, may get more out of him than the Charlton guys if there is a good understanding in what is needed out of him, Fontaine will not be such an unknown player to GJ

Golbourne was sold to fund the purchase of a striker.........and I hope we get one.

can we please give him a chance.

hasn't kicked a ball yet and some people are judgeing

him already.

I know what you mean. He's from a Premiership club & is a young left back, we had one of those once and he was crap, therefore this guy must be the same. No-one has ever seen him play, but why let that a little thing like that be a problem :whistle:

And how, as a central defender/left back, is his goalscoring record at all relevant ?

Let's just wait and see, he might actually surprise you all. Sounds like the Yeovil fans were disappointed to lose him anyway.

Archived