IGNORED

Evil Post Today.

redrobin108

City clamp down on hooligans.

That is the headline on the back of todays evil post.

Its a report about the clubs drive to drive out the hooligans as the CLUB attempts to hand the East End back to the home supporters.

No mention about the fans hard work in getting the east end reopen for home supporters.

No mention about the stewards heavy hand tactics to home supporters.

That 'Rag' really is very tedious. Can we take legal action against them for tarnishing our image.

We are peace loving folk and don't need these accusations being made, blowing things out of all proportion. It is a warning to idiots (like the chap in the LDV Gold Shirt) to grow up.

Typical of the rag really - the picture was of Danny picking up his Manager of the Month award and all the text was about problem a few caused in EE!

Would be interesting to know if it came from a press release or website report from the club - EP are not known for writing their own stuff mostly just pick up on what is sent to them - lazy journalism :unsure:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

A joke really - They've not mentioned the trouble at Rovers against Hull but after 10 people go abit over the top at City it's headline news.

I say ban the EP from City

There is CONSTANT misreporting of issues around fan behaviour in the EP with City and Rovers. It REALLY gets me. :unsure:

The Rovers have had trouble over the last couple of years with Torquay, Plymouth, Exeter, Hull and Cardiff but hardly ANY of this gets reported at all. If it does it gets burried in a small paragraph among the classifieds or something.

This is not Rovers' fault and it's nothing against their club. I'm not actually saying it SHOULD be splashed all over the back pages because I think it can be detrimental to the cause...but the Evening Post seem to LOVE it when anything happens with City.

Saturday did not see any INTENTIONAL violence as far as I am aware. There was no fighting between fans, no objects thrown- just people jumping about when we scored. Some of the behaviour was irresponsible and some gestures uncalled for and unfriendly- but that was it!!!!! There was no attempt to injure fans or stewards or to damage the stadium.

I can understand the club being concerned by the issue- but for the EP to brand them hooligans in the headline is a totally misleading.

At least they did mention the East End situation for Wrexham.

The Full BEP Article.....

CITY CLAMP DOWN ON 'HOOLIGANS'

11:00 - 11 February 2004

Bristol City today vowed to drive out the "hooligans" who are threatening to scupper the club's attempts to hand the East End back to home supporters. The Robins have confirmed that their fans will again be able to use the Wedlock Stand for the next home game against Wrexham on February 21.

But the club admit they are concerned that it is becoming a focal point for troublemakers, with some of their match-day stewards injured in incidents during the match last Saturday.

Communications manager Richard Gould said: "The vast majority of fans on Saturday willingly followed the pre-match instructions not to stand persistently.

"There were, however, a number of incidents which resulted in injury to stewards, which is simply not acceptable.

"Our ultimate intention is to get rid of these hooligans so supporters can continue to use the East End safely."

Supporters wanting to move into the East End for the Wrexham game are being warned there will be no cash or season ticket voucher admission on the day of the match. Season ticket-holders should exchange voucher 16 by February 20 either by visiting the club shop or ringing the Ticket Hotline on 0870 112 1897.

Why couldnt they mention all the hard work thats gone in by many people to try and get the Eastend back for Home fans -"Bristol City today vowed to drive out the "hooligans" who are threatening to scupper the club's attempts to hand the East End back to home supporters." - Sorry but if it wasnt for the Fans trying to get the eastend open, we wouldnt be in there. The club had no intention of opening The Eastend to open fans - it was requested by us.

I'm in full support in clamping down on hoolliganism, but to class saturdays events as Hooliganism isnt right for a sports page because it couldnt be further from the truth.

Show some praise to the real fans and stop giving these wannabee's a chance to gloat.

That 'Rag' really is very tedious. Can we take legal action against them for tarnishing our image.

We are peace loving folk and don't need these accusations being made, blowing things out of all proportion. It is a warning to idiots (like the chap in the LDV Gold Shirt) to grow up.

A group couldn't take action - only an individual willing to argue to a judge that the article "lowered their esteem in the minds of a right thinking member of the public." They would also have to show that they were damaged in a material way, perhaps by being sacked by a boss or not considered for a job.

However, anyone taking action would be hampered by the fact that the article is not actually libellous! It makes clear that the "vast majority"were well-behaved, which negates the chances of any one individual in the East End being assumed to be a "hooligan". The paper would also have the defence of "justiifcation" - i.e. that however upset you might be at the article, the facts in it are true in that a small minority of people did cause trouble.

Bottom line is, although you might not agree with the tone of the article there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

The Full BEP Article.....

CITY CLAMP DOWN ON 'HOOLIGANS'

11:00 - 11 February 2004

Bristol City today vowed to drive out the "hooligans" who are threatening to scupper the club's attempts to hand the East End back to home supporters. The Robins have confirmed that their fans will again be able to use the Wedlock Stand for the next home game against Wrexham on February 21.

But the club admit they are concerned that it is becoming a focal point for troublemakers, with some of their match-day stewards injured in incidents during the match last Saturday.

Communications manager Richard Gould said: "The vast majority of fans on Saturday willingly followed the pre-match instructions not to stand persistently.

"There were, however, a number of incidents which resulted in injury to stewards, which is simply not acceptable.

"Our ultimate intention is to get rid of these hooligans so supporters can continue to use the East End safely."

Supporters wanting to move into the East End for the Wrexham game are being warned there will be no cash or season ticket voucher admission on the day of the match. Season ticket-holders should exchange voucher 16 by February 20 either by visiting the club shop or ringing the Ticket Hotline on 0870 112 1897.

Why couldnt they mention all the hard work thats gone in by many people to try and get the Eastend back for Home fans -"Bristol City today vowed to drive out the "hooligans" who are threatening to scupper the club's attempts to hand the East End back to home supporters." - Sorry but if it wasnt for the Fans trying to get the eastend open, we wouldnt be in there. The club had no intention of opening The Eastend to open fans - it was requested by us.

I'm in full support in clamping down on hoolliganism, but to class saturdays events as Hooliganism isnt right for a sports page because it couldnt be further from the truth.

Show some praise to the real fans and stop giving these wannabee's a chance to gloat.

but the stewards went in and started the trouble :D:unsure:

what are they expecting when city score in the 89th minute

from being at 1-1 to get back in to it at 2-1 of course there

is going to be the mother of all celebrations :D

the stewards that work that stand panic and went in and

started more than they are there to stop, some of them stewards

just do not show common sense and are not suited to working

with that type of crowd, there is a way of being told to sit down

without trying to fight fire with fire, i'm not supporting any kinds

of trouble what so ever but i'm sorry but the club has to look at it's

own staff sometimes...

double standards are getting peoples backs up as half of the brentford

fans were stood for the entire match and it does make some feel if they are

then we will type of situation...

i don't know it seems the political correctness crew really have got

their teeth in to the game, they won't be happy untill we all go to

a game and sit there and watch the entertainment in silence just

like at the cinema ''the so called Unfriedly gestures were aimed at

city to'' but no mention of brentford doing it :unsure::D

the point is it was banter and no brentford fan was touched outside

of the ground....

another fact about the east end if there was any intent on trouble

in the east end it would come from intent from away fans it seemed

all to easy to just walk up and pay to get in for all the stewards would

know it could have been a bunch of brentford trying to get in to the

east end, no one made a effort to hear our accents etc, just a small

detail the club should think about..

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Whats the point of a constant barrage toward women, children and old men?

I can undertand winding up away fans if A. They have a mob B. Theres a lot of them, but Colchester and brentford are hardly worth bothering with.

Wouldn't be better to sing about city and the players ?

Whats the point of a constant barrage toward women, children and old men?

I can undertand winding up away fans if A. They have a mob B. Theres a lot of them, but Colchester and brentford are hardly worth bothering with.

Wouldn't be better to sing about city and the players ?

true... that is the point between banter and real hooligans

citys real hooligans were nowhere near that fence and like you

said don't consider Colchester and brentford as worth bothering with,

i bet they were not even at those games :D

now the constant barrage as you say was seen as some as banter

the Colchester game there was a chap in his 70's in the Colchester

end giving more swear words than i thought was possible and both sides

thought this was funny :D but going back to my point for all the singing

,shouting etc, NO COLCHESTER OR BRENTFORD FAN WAS TOUCHED OUTSIDE

OF THE GROUND :unsure:

now i am pretty sure if we were to play cardiff, plymouth and q.p.r and we

were allowed to go in the eastend for those games you would see a different

type of face in the city end and a attempt after the game to get at those fans

i bet would be made because of the history of the teams :dunno:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I don't think you will - It's easier to get at away fans from the Williams (Millwall 2000ish) and due to good policing and CCTV it just doesn't happen.

For big games tere will be a Police presence in the East end I'm sure so I doubt they'll be any trouble inside the ground

This is typical of the inaccurate reporting of this rag and why I haven't purchased it for over 5 years.

The fact is (I was stood right by the "incidents"), they weren't hooligans - just over excited kids who felt safe from the away fans behind a fence.

The second fact is, I saw the stewards wade into the fans celebrating the goal which caused us to go 2 - 1 up. One particular steward was completely over the top, taking out a group of "normal" shirt/scarf wearing fans in the process, which then led to a group of rather mature chaps being rather annoyed and wanting to get their own back.

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

If people think this was football hooliganism, they have clearly never been to Cardiff/Stoke/Millwall/Reading/Swansea/Plymouth etc. etc. etc. etc.

One Team

This is typical of the inaccurate reporting of this rag and why I haven't purchased it for over 5 years.

The fact is (I was stood right by the "incidents"), they weren't hooligans - just over excited kids who felt safe from the away fans behind a fence.

The second fact is, I saw the stewards wade into the fans celebrating the goal which caused us to go 2 - 1 up.  One particular steward was completely over the top, taking out a group of "normal" shirt/scarf wearing fans in the process, which then led to a group of rather mature chaps being rather annoyed and wanting to get their own back.

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

If people think this was football hooliganism, they have clearly never been to Cardiff/Stoke/Millwall/Reading/Swansea/Plymouth etc. etc. etc. etc.

One Team

hear hear i agree 100% :D:dunno:;)

and yeah the things i've seen at millwall and cardiff :D

well thats another story :unsure:

I think you're all missing an important point in that article - its not the Evening Post which has labelled those people 'hooligans' its Richard Gould (read the quotes)

I agree with the people who wondered why Rovers-violence doesnt get reported more, but I think you're all going over the top again. Theres nothing untrue in that article and it also mentions the good fans and the efforts of the club to remove the bad ones.

But, if you'd prefer to blame the media than the fans who have let our club down again...

Bottom line is, although you might not agree with the tone of the article there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it.
I understand that legally nothing can be done about it, and afterall Steve L did say that he thought the East End was attracting trouble makers.

However, its still bloody ignorant reporting which has been going on in the EP for years now.

With regards to Steve L's comments, I think its inaccurate to suggest that the East End is attracting hooligans. The real city hooligans aren't going to be the ones trying to jump the fence or kick stewards against teams like Brentford or Colchester.

God knows who the idiots are responsible for this behaviour, but they are just ******* immature. :unsure:

EDIT: Just read above post, if it was Richard Gould and not Steve L I stand corrected.

I think you're all missing an important point in that article - its not the Evening Post which has labelled those people 'hooligans' its Richard Gould (read the quotes)

I agree with the people who wondered why Rovers-violence doesnt get reported more, but I think you're all going over the top again.  Theres nothing untrue in that article and it also mentions the good fans and the efforts of the club to remove the bad ones.

But, if you'd prefer to blame the media than the fans who have let our club down again...

hold on, a few points for you.

It says its the club trying to get the east end open, what about all the HARD work that the supporters have done in the last couple of months.

What about the stewards behaviour on saturday, were you in the eastend.

Surely the paper should have researched the facts, all Richard Gould is doing is acting on reports for the hooligan stewards and then passing on the info to the press, forgetting to point out the attitude of the stewards.

And of course the EVIL POST loves to report bad news on the city. :unsure:

God knows who the idiots are responsible for this behaviour, but they are just ******* immature.  :unsure:

EDIT: Just read above post, if it was Richard Gould and not Steve L I stand corrected.

The ones that I saw on Saturday causing the most trouble looked to be too old to be considered immature, unless you are referring to their mental age.

The fact remains there is a mindless minority who will spoil it for everyone. The overwhelming majority of the fans in the East End on Saturday were very well behaved.

However, there were a handful of morons who had no intention of remaining seated, irrespective of whether or not it was to celebrate a goal or what ever. Their sole intention was to stand at every opportunity and provoke the stewards.

The evil post will always report the bad news and the wind up's (i.e. scott murry in an reading shirt covering the whole of the back page ) because the sports editor and the main editor are season ticket holders at the minimal ground.
The Evil Post editor is actually a rabid Man Utd fan.

It says its the club trying to get the east end open, what about all the HARD work that the supporters have done in the last couple of months.

What about the stewards behaviour on saturday, were you in the eastend.

Surely the paper should have researched the facts, all Richard Gould is doing is acting on reports for the hooligan stewards and then passing on the info to the press, forgetting to point out the attitude of the stewards.

And of course the EVIL POST loves to report bad news on the city.  :unsure:

Sorry, I thought the complaint was that the Evening Post was unfairly implying that City fans were Hooligans, not that there wasnt enough coverage of the efforts made by City fans to open up the East End. (or are you trying to say that because the fans got the East End open, that makes all the fans blameless ?)

Yes, I was in the East End, and if you were there too (I'm assuming you were) then you would have seen some fans mis-behaving too. (along with the heavy-handed stewards, who were over-reacting as usual)

I agree that 'Hooligan' is a little strong for these idiots, but I'd like to repeat again that this was the word Richard Gould apparently used.

And surely youre not suggesting that Richard Gould should have blamed the clubs own stewards for causing the trouble ? Wouldnt that have painted City in an EVEN WORSE light ?

Perhaps a headline along the lines of 'City Stewards attack 'Hooligans'' would have been better ?

OK, heres a challenge for the rest of you then - How would you have written the story based on the quotes given by Richard Gould ?

Calm down calm down!

It's bizarre, when I saw the back of the EP today, I thought, "oh good, The EP is acknowledging that the club's got any problems in hand and the club's into the idea of letting those who want to sample the #### views from the EE watch from there".

It didn't seem to me that anyone was having a go, it seemed more supportive that anything.

Then I come on here and you'd have thought they were calling for us to be drummed out of the league or something.

For God's (Jaki's) sake, get a grip!

I agree with the people who wondered why Rovers-violence doesnt get reported more, but I think you're all going over the top again.  Theres nothing untrue in that article and it also mentions the good fans and the efforts of the club to remove the bad ones.

fair comment but it fails to report stewards going wading in heavy handed

starting the problems..

we are banging our heads against a brick wall with this as the club, the police,

the stewards will all do a report and those at grass roots will cover their arses

and the buck will still be left with the fans :unsure:

Archived