IGNORED

The Johnson Report

redrocks

SteveL said he would not enclose details of the report to fans.

I don't want him to enclose anything except maybe a cheque for a couple of mill.

But if he could disclose some of it that might be helpful.

Must have been a bit of a turd in the punchbowl for him really. I'm sure it was about as pleasant to read as a proctologist's 'to do' list.

When Gary came on he was going to take some time to draw up a report for SL. Did it ever happen? If anyone knows anything about this dodgy dossier, please could they fill me in with the details?

Thanks,

redrocks

:dunno:

If it is anything like the endless empty promises and bull we have been fed by GJ about the January window then I guess it doesn't exist.Just more spin to make us think that we have a Chairman who knows where the club are going when in reality we will never go anywhere with Lansdown.

After all...we're not important

No, we are important. But why does that automatically mean we should be privvy to things which are commercially sensitive?

It was important - in the best interests of the club's future success and therefore, by extension, in the best interests of the supporters - that GJ should make his report knowing that it could be warts and all, no holds barred. Knowing that the contents would be made public would not enable that to happen. Therefore it had to be for top eyes only.

Do you think, for example, he could be as forthright in pinpointing individuals who are failing or underperforming in their job, areas which need revamping, or jobs which should be made redundant if he knew that was going to be made public? How would you feel, for instance, if you were working at the club and the report was made public identifying you as a weak link? And just as importantly, how would other staff feel knowing that the club might treat them that way in the future? Think about it.

I'm sure over time some of the contents will become clear as things change. But I do get a bit sick of supporters thinking we have a right to know everything just because we pay our £20 or whatever it is every couple of weeks. We don't.

• Admin

No, we are important. But why does that automatically mean we should be privvy to things which are commercially sensitive?

Once it was announced that GJ had the remit to review and report on all aspects of the club, it was obvious that there would be interest in his findings.

My guess is that the report couldn't have been too kind to the existing setup, otherwise it should have been possible for SL to summarise it and publish an abridged version, or just comment on the changes that will be implemented, without being publicly critical of any staff.

RT old boy. I agree that the details do not need to be published, but some idea of an executive summary would be nice to see. Even if it just gave a list of the topics covered, I think it would be encouraging to know that GJ has his finger on the pulse.

If the club do not want us to see the report then fine. However, a lot was made of the fact that this was going on at the time, so I think we should at least get to see something. Right now, it's a bit like watching a bongo flick on cable. A lot of commentary and hints of all the mucky things going on but no detail and certainly no money shot.

I will leave that metaphor there as it could get nasty. But you get the idea.

redrocks

RT old boy. I agree that the details do not need to be published, but some idea of an executive summary would be nice to see. Even if it just gave a list of the topics covered, I think it would be encouraging to know that GJ has his finger on the pulse.

If the club do not want us to see the report then fine. However, a lot was made of the fact that this was going on at the time, so I think we should at least get to see something.

redrocks

Yes, that's fair comment. Though I'd rate watching City as more like a Hammer movie than a bongo flick this season.

Well, if GJ did do a report it can't have had any deadlines in it.

The only changes at the club, as far as I can see, is that we have now set up a scouting team, and we have regularly loaned players from London clubs.

Strangely enough, the scouting team is Gary's brother, which is an absolute disgrace in my opinion. I'd also like to know who got paid what for our employ of the London players.

Perhaps GJ recognises that an "honest" report would not be in his best interests?

If there has been a report I sincerely hope it contains the following aspects:

- Why do we not have a scouting system in place?

- Why are our training programmes so weak? GJ says our players weren't fit when he got here. Who has he changed to address this?

- Why don't we have regular reserve team games?

Strangely enough, the scouting team is Gary's brother, which is an absolute disgrace in my opinion. I'd also like to know who got paid what for our employ of the London players.

Perhaps GJ recognises that an "honest" report would not be in his best interests?

- Why are our training programmes so weak? GJ says our players weren't fit when he got here. Who has he changed to address this?

Why is it 'an absolute disgrace' that Johnson contacted his brother to help us scout players?

Why would GJ not have been honest in the report?

Have you not noticed the improvement in fitness of our players since Johnson arrived?

Did we not play a reserve game tonight?

Please answer the above because I'm confused

• Admin

Wow, thats a pretty cynical view of a man who has been in charge for 3 months.

He has identified that we had no scouts and has appointed one.

The players look much fitter, they are now finishing games not looking absolutely knackered, this is a fairly well voiced opinion, so I would think that he has changed / increased training. Amankwah commented on how different the training was at Yeovil when he went there.

We aren't the only club to bemoan the lack of reserve team fixtures, since the demise of the combination league it has been a problem, many clubs in the third and fourth divisions struggle to fund reserve teams regularly travelling long distances to play fixtures.

We aren't the only club to bemoan the lack of reserve team fixtures, since the demise of the combination league it has been a problem, many clubs in the third and fourth divisions struggle to fund reserve teams regularly travelling long distances to play fixtures.

Yes, and how many friendly games have we arranged since Johnson has been in charge? Southampton, Exeter earlier this week, Team Bath - all in aid of viewing countless trailists...

Chivs opinion isn't cynical, it's clueless.

Guest Legend City Man

I think the report went summat like this....

All the players are crap.. Basso is great, I love him, I especailly love playing him with discolated fingers..all the rest are unfit, crap and are unambitous, most are just here to pick up their wages.. I request that in the January transfer Window I bring in 6 qaulity players to help us gain promotion this season...

EEERRRRRRR

It was important - in the best interests of the club's future success and therefore, by extension, in the best interests of the supporters - that GJ should make his report knowing that it could be warts and all, no holds barred. Knowing that the contents would be made public would not enable that to happen. Therefore it had to be for top eyes only.

Do you think, for example, he could be as forthright in pinpointing individuals who are failing or underperforming in their job, areas which need revamping, or jobs which should be made redundant if he knew that was going to be made public? How would you feel, for instance, if you were working at the club and the report was made public identifying you as a weak link? And just as importantly, how would other staff feel knowing that the club might treat them that way in the future? Think about it.

I'm sure over time some of the contents will become clear as things change. But I do get a bit sick of supporters thinking we have a right to know everything just because we pay our £20 or whatever it is every couple of weeks. We don't.

RedTop, I agree with most of what you say, but your last paragraph cheeses me off mate, it isn't only £20 every other week mate is it?, think of the years most of us have put OUR money into OUR club, without us, the FANS, where would this club be?, we are the ONLY ones who stay loyal to this football club, NOBODY else ever will, thats why I believe we should be informed at least on some of the things that may affect US.

Makes me wonder if we are watching/following the same team.

There is no doubt the players are sharper/fitter.

And apart from the Pontins League, I have seen more games arranged recently than ever before.

:doh:

After all...we're not important

Nonsense.

Let's say I'm a customer of whoever you work for. Does that give me the right to look at your HR records and get a full blow-by-blow account of your company's inner workings?

BCFC is a business. Being a fan entitles you to nothing more than going to matches and taking advantage of various incentives which any business offers its customers.

I've got a pair of Nike trainers. Does that give me the right to bunk up at Michael Jordan's house?

BTW - as I've said on here before, I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way things are. If fans want full involvement in their club affairs, the only realistic avenue is to form an AFC Bristol City.

Nonsense.

Let's say I'm a customer of whoever you work for. Does that give me the right to look at your HR records and get a full blow-by-blow account of your company's inner workings?

BCFC is a business. Being a fan entitles you to nothing more than going to matches and taking advantage of various incentives which any business offers its customers.

I've got a pair of Nike trainers. Does that give me the right to bunk up at Michael Jordan's house?

BTW - as I've said on here before, I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way things are. If fans want full involvement in their club affairs, the only realistic avenue is to form an AFC Bristol City.

Yes, but if you were a shareholder of Nike and they went to the press saying they were going to be taking an overall look of the business and would be submitting a report that would lead to massive restructuring, I'm sure you would like to see the findings and so would the rest of the market.

:city:

I do agree with most of what you said, but because of that it begs the question "why did they tell us about this report in the first place?"

If they weren,t going to give us any indication of what was in it, why did GJ come out and say he had been asked to compile it, it really did sound as if it were going to be published to some degree to us the fans. They should have just kept it amoungst themselves from the very beggining, if they were going to do that at the end.

RedTop, I agree with most of what you say, but your last paragraph cheeses me off mate, it isn't only £20 every other week mate is it?, think of the years most of us have put OUR money into OUR club, without us, the FANS, where would this club be?, we are the ONLY ones who stay loyal to this football club, NOBODY else ever will, thats why I believe we should be informed at least on some of the things that may affect US.

Both you and Chivs make a valid point. A football club should be run like a business, but we have to recognise, along with those currently in power, that it is a unique kind of business that depends on loyalty from customers who have a wish to be as involved and informed as possible about the goings on at that business. The football business is a mixture of sport, entertainment, commercial business and even, dare I say, soap opera. We want to be informed about the goings-on at our club, and our interest and involvement is also part of what makes us spend our money on following it. The more the club limits that interaction, and the less involved we feel, the less we are likely to go out of our way to head to Ashton Gate on a cold, rainy Saturday when the other half is putting pressure on us to go shopping or go to a family do.

There is a balance to be made, and I agree with you both that rather than the results becoming evident over time willy-nilly, so to speak, the club should make an effort to tell us whatever results of the review they can.

I might be wrong here, but we don't even know whether the report has formally been submitted to SteveL and/or whether he has taken action on it. We know that GJ identified early on the shortcomings in the scouting network, but that wasn't hard given that incredibly there...er...wasn't one.

I do not share the concerns and implied nepotism regarding GJ using hios brother to scout. It happens elsewhere (doesn't Fergie do it too, among others?) and like anyone he should be judged by results. If for example it was his brother who recommended Noble, and I admit that's an assumption, then who can really protest?

However, it would be nice if perhaps City's media department get together with the big cheeses and work out what can be said, then release it via the website. For example, maybe GJ's report identified player diet as a problem and as a result, he has instigated daily post-training session team meals together or has issued each player with a personal diet to follow and weekly tests to ensure it is being followed and that nutrition has improved, or maybe the report identified stamina problems and as a result a new coaching position is being created to address it, or perhaps the players training sessions have been extended by an hour a day. I still believe that expecting the full report to be made public would be counter-productive and is wrong to demand. However there is, as has been pointed out by others, plenty that might be put in the public domain without causing problems.

Such a public report would not only serve to satisfy our interest, it would serve to reassure the fans that things are being done to improve what has been an appalling first half of the season, and that GJ is indeed a man of action and not just words.

Yes, but if you were a shareholder of Nike and they went to the press saying they were going to be taking an overall look of the business and would be submitting a report that would lead to massive restructuring, I'm sure you would like to see the findings and so would the rest of the market.

:city:

There's no way in hell that Nike would put that information out to minority shareholders, particularly before any action was taken!

BCFC are acting professionally, and in exactly the same way that any other similar sized public company would. However, some fans believe that by being "customers" they have a divine right to know everything about BCFC's everyday runnings and that the club don't care if they don't tell.

There's no way in hell that Nike would put that information out to minority shareholders, particularly before any action was taken!

BCFC are acting professionally, and in exactly the same way that any other similar sized public company would. However, some fans believe that by being "customers" they have a divine right to know everything about BCFC's everyday runnings and that the club don't care if they don't tell.

Yes, but this was 3 months ago now and in a company like Nike a quarterly update with a forecast would normally be forthcoming. The analogy with Nike is a non-starter anyway as buying a pair of trainers does not really equate to being a football fan. If Nike had the amount of brand loyalty as BCFC has amongst its supporters than I'm sure they would do a lot more to keep their punters up-to-date of any changes going on. For example, when Ford had all the issues with their cars' tyres blowing out they had a full press release in order to keep the consumer confidence on-board. If the board want the fans to keep paying for season tickets given the dire performance so far this season (and all the PR gaffes from the board and the players) I would suggest doing what George Bush is currently doing over here to sell the war and that is get out and interact with the punters and show them what is going on to fix the problems.

There seems to be a bit of a bunker mentality at AG these days and they need to be a bit more open and sensitive to the fans' need to know things are going in the right direction. SL always mentions we are 'moving forwards' but we are also 'moving downwards' in the league and 'moving more into the red' on the P&L sheet.

Both you and Chivs make a valid point. A football club should be run like a business, but we have to recognise, along with those currently in power, that it is a unique kind of business that depends on loyalty from customers who have a wish to be as involved and informed as possible about the goings on at that business. The football business is a mixture of sport, entertainment, commercial business and even, dare I say, soap opera. We want to be informed about the goings-on at our club, and our interest and involvement is also part of what makes us spend our money on following it. The more the club limits that interaction, and the less involved we feel, the less we are likely to go out of our way to head to Ashton Gate on a cold, rainy Saturday when the other half is putting pressure on us to go shopping or go to a family do.

There is a balance to be made, and I agree with you both that rather than the results becoming evident over time willy-nilly, so to speak, the club should make an effort to tell us whatever results of the review they can.

I might be wrong here, but we don't even know whether the report has formally been submitted to SteveL and/or whether he has taken action on it. We know that GJ identified early on the shortcomings in the scouting network, but that wasn't hard given that incredibly there...er...wasn't one.

I do not share the concerns and implied nepotism regarding GJ using hios brother to scout. It happens elsewhere (doesn't Fergie do it too, among others?) and like anyone he should be judged by results. If for example it was his brother who recommended Noble, and I admit that's an assumption, then who can really protest?

However, it would be nice if perhaps City's media department get together with the big cheeses and work out what can be said, then release it via the website. For example, maybe GJ's report identified player diet as a problem and as a result, he has instigated daily post-training session team meals together or has issued each player with a personal diet to follow and weekly tests to ensure it is being followed and that nutrition has improved, or maybe the report identified stamina problems and as a result a new coaching position is being created to address it, or perhaps the players training sessions have been extended by an hour a day. I still believe that expecting the full report to be made public would be counter-productive and is wrong to demand. However there is, as has been pointed out by others, plenty that might be put in the public domain without causing problems.

Such a public report would not only serve to satisfy our interest, it would serve to reassure the fans that things are being done to improve what has been an appalling first half of the season, and that GJ is indeed a man of action and not just words.

Thanks for your reply RedTop, it was an interesting read, and I have to agree on everyting you have stated, my main point was, WE the fans do not, in my opinion, hardly ever seem to be consulted, and I believe we, the Fans are a massive part of this club, we do not need to know everything, but half the time I feel they look at us and basically say, you do not need to know this. As I said we are the ONLY ones who will be with this club for LIFE, and feel maybe the club don't seem to care what we think.

Yes, but this was 3 months ago now and in a company like Nike a quarterly update with a forecast would normally be forthcoming. The analogy with Nike is a non-starter anyway as buying a pair of trainers does not really equate to being a football fan. If Nike had the amount of brand loyalty as BCFC has amongst its supporters than I'm sure they would do a lot more to keep their punters up-to-date of any changes going on. For example, when Ford had all the issues with their cars' tyres blowing out they had a full press release in order to keep the consumer confidence on-board. If the board want the fans to keep paying for season tickets given the dire performance so far this season (and all the PR gaffes from the board and the players) I would suggest doing what George Bush is currently doing over here to sell the war and that is get out and interact with the punters and show them what is going on to fix the problems.

There seems to be a bit of a bunker mentality at AG these days and they need to be a bit more open and sensitive to the fans' need to know things are going in the right direction. SL always mentions we are 'moving forwards' but we are also 'moving downwards' in the league and 'moving more into the red' on the P&L sheet.

Yeah, the Nike thing doesn't exactly fit, but my trainers were the first commercial thing I spotted when I was looking around the room while posting ;)

If, in that situation, Nike did put out a release, they'd probably say something quite general such as "we've asked X to come up with a top-down analysis of the business". The results would be seen in new products (signings?), streamlining (player sales) etc. Nike wouldn't come out and say "our Nike Poopoo trainers suck, so we'll drop the line and X has a really bad attitude, so we'll move him to another department".

Out of genuine interest, what makes you say that there's a bunker mentality at the club?

<peers up at redtop's post> Why is it the fan's business if someone has an eating disorder??? I certainly wouldn't be happy with the club releasing information like that about me. <edit2> Sorry, I misread it - thought you were talking about a specific player rather than the squad as a whole

Yeah, the Nike thing doesn't exactly fit, but my trainers were the first commercial thing I spotted when I was looking around the room while posting ;)

If, in that situation, Nike did put out a release, they'd probably say something quite general such as "we've asked X to come up with a top-down analysis of the business". The results would be seen in new products (signings?), streamlining (player sales) etc. Nike wouldn't come out and say "our Nike Poopoo trainers suck, so we'll drop the line and X has a really bad attitude, so we'll move him to another department".

Out of genuine interest, what makes you say that there's a bunker mentality at the club?

<peers up at redtop's post> Why is it the fan's business if someone has an eating disorder??? I certainly wouldn't be happy with the club releasing information like that about me. <edit2> Sorry, I misread it - thought you were talking about a specific player rather than the squad as a whole

I agree totally, which is why I say an executive summary covering the main areas touched on in the report would do.

I get the impression of the bunker mentality from various channels but mainly from the communication (or lack thereof) from the top. Steve L's page is a superficial nod towards the fans but there is not a lot of substance there really. Also, some of the tactless ways they have approached such things as the relocation of season ticket holders, the badge, the kit, etc. seem to me to suggest they do now want to consult the fans up-front as they know it's going to be a tough situation to handle so they would rather avoid the whole thing and just plough ahead regardless. Also, the minutes from the last FCF meeting where CS stated he did not consult the FCF ahead of the Williams stand press release because it was a 'sensitive matter' was a bit of an eye-opener. What is the point of the FCF if it is not to discuss this kind of thing?

Need I go on?

Clearly I didn't express myself very well in my response given how many people have completely misconstrued what I said :whistle:

Why is it 'an absolute disgrace' that Johnson contacted his brother to help us scout players?

Because we are a stated Equal Opportunities Employer. How does Lansdown allow the website to state this and then employ Gary's brother as the first scout in London? Maybe I am being cynical and all the proper interview sessions took place?

Why would GJ not have been honest in the report?

Because football is full of corrupt people making money out of being dishonest. I should emphasise that I don't know if GJ has been involved in anything so presumably his report will mention how some agents like to corrupt some managers.

Have you not noticed the improvement in fitness of our players since Johnson arrived?

Yes I have. They are much fitter. Have you not noticed that the same people training our players before GJ arrived are the same people training them now? Why have these people still got a job?

Did we not play a reserve game tonight?

Indeed, and GJ is to be congratulated for the friendlies. But again, the same set of people who managed to get us into a situation where we had NO regularly reserve games are still in charge. Why?

Also, the minutes from the last FCF meeting where CS stated he did not consult the FCF ahead of the Williams stand press release because it was a 'sensitive matter' was a bit of an eye-opener. What is the point of the FCF if it is not to discuss this kind of thing?

Personally, I don't think that this IS the point of the FCF.

Given SL's background and commercial nouse, I'm prepared to accept his judgement on things like this. It's clearly for commercial/club benefit (it's not like SL woke up one day and thought "what can I do to annoy some season ticket holders?") and as such, and given SL's reluctance to discuss this with the FCF, I can only assume that consultation would only have delayed what was an inevitable conclusion, causing much upset and uproar along the way.

On the flip side, I think that the way it was communicated was shocking, so I'm certainly not siding on this.

I'm quite intrigued that you listed the kit and the badge as examples of the bunker mentality. In both cases, the club reacted to the negative feedback. And in both cases, these were decisions by Richard Gould, who's now left the club. In my opinion, I think they rushed both through, not even thinking to consult (not deliberately avoiding it). This consultation lark is a relatively new phenomenon after all.

I thought that SL's comment "it's only a badge" was amusing, given the copious amounts of mud throwing posted in Ask SL. This forum allows so much opportunity for (often extremely vocal) feedback, that relatively trivial issues (and let's face it, a badge isn't on a par with world hunger) get blown out of all proportion. I'm half expecting the east-end* protesters to kidnap the City Ladies and hold them for ransom ;)

* east-end being another issue where I'm prepared to accept the decision of someone who's far more aware of the implications

. This forum allows so much opportunity for (often extremely vocal) feedback, that relatively trivial issues (and let's face it, a badge isn't on a par with world hunger) get blown out of all proportion.

Not only vocal feedback, but vocal feedback from a minority, vocal feedback from people who the moment they start typing prove themselves to be idiots.

It was said right from day 1 that the report would be confidential.

You have no right whatsoever to see it.

I have no right whatsoever to see it.

End of matter. Grow up, get a life, pick some spots.

Archived