IGNORED

The Johnson Report

redrocks

Not only vocal feedback, but vocal feedback from a minority, vocal feedback from people who the moment they start typing prove themselves to be idiots.

It was said right from day 1 that the report would be confidential.

You have no right whatsoever to see it.

I have no right whatsoever to see it.

End of matter. Grow up, get a life, pick some spots.

Trouble is, because of the nature of the Ask SL forum, that minority is what SL gets to see as being a cross section of the fans. I do hope he ventures into this forum occasionally...

Not only vocal feedback, but vocal feedback from a minority, vocal feedback from people who the moment they start typing prove themselves to be idiots.

It was said right from day 1 that the report would be confidential.

You have no right whatsoever to see it.

I have no right whatsoever to see it.

End of matter. Grow up, get a life, pick some spots.

Where was it said that it would be confidential? The report can stay behind closed doors, but a summary of the points covered would be good to see.

You talk of people being idiots, but then you write the most idiotic reply I think you could have mustered. Well done.

Where was it said that it would be confidential? The report can stay behind closed doors, but a summary of the points covered would be good to see.

You talk of people being idiots, but then you write the most idiotic reply I think you could have mustered. Well done.

SL said it would be when asked at aroundabout the time he "commissioned" Gary

Clearly I didn't express myself very well in my response given how many people have completely misconstrued what I said :whistle:

Because we are a stated Equal Opportunities Employer. How does Lansdown allow the website to state this and then employ Gary's brother as the first scout in London? Maybe I am being cynical and all the proper interview sessions took place?

Because football is full of corrupt people making money out of being dishonest. I should emphasise that I don't know if GJ has been involved in anything so presumably his report will mention how some agents like to corrupt some managers.

Yes I have. They are much fitter. Have you not noticed that the same people training our players before GJ arrived are the same people training them now? Why have these people still got a job?

Indeed, and GJ is to be congratulated for the friendlies. But again, the same set of people who managed to get us into a situation where we had NO regularly reserve games are still in charge. Why?

Chivs, I agree with most of what you've posted on the subject, but I can't agree with this idea about employing his brother. I don't expect GJ to put a job ad in the Grauniad asking for scouts. He needs someone whose opinion he knows he can trust. I don't recall complaints when managers move to new clubs and take their assistants with them without the proper interview sessions taking place. Did you complain on the same grounds when Danny insisted on bringing Frank Barlow with him, for instance? It's the same thing - surrounding yourself with people you know can do a job, without carrying out wider interviews etc, particularly when you are parachuted in during a disastous season and need to turn things around quickly. You have to turn to those you know can do a job, who think along the same lines as you do and who has brought in players in the past that you know you rate. As I said, if Johnson's brother was behind bringing in Noble then that alone shows he's got the necessary quality.

I also think you're skating on pretty thin ice if you are even suggesting GJ might be involved in any corruption, unless you have any evidence.

I've already said before that I think Millen, in particular, is bloody lucky to still have his job. But I guess we have to remember that it's not easy to remove someone from their position these days in any business unless you are prepared to give them a pay-off, which is something we can't really afford unless absolutely necessary. And it has to be said that things have turned round a little on the fitness front, as you agree, so perhaps GJ thinks the coaching staff were being given the wrong orders, so to speak.

The bottom line is that the buck stops with GJ, and he will be judged on results. If he thinks his brother or the current backroom staff are what he needs around him to do it, then fine. He'll live or die by that decision.

Chivs, I agree with most of what you've posted on the subject, but I can't agree with this idea about employing his brother. I don't expect GJ to put a job ad in the Grauniad asking for scouts. He needs someone whose opinion he knows he can trust. I don't recall complaints when managers move to new clubs and take their assistants with them without the proper interview sessions taking place. Did you complain on the same grounds when Danny insisted on bringing Frank Barlow with him, for instance? It's the same thing - surrounding yourself with people you know can do a job, without carrying out wider interviews etc, particularly when you are parachuted in during a disastous season and need to turn things around quickly. You have to turn to those you know can do a job, who think along the same lines as you do and who has brought in players in the past that you know you rate. As I said, if Johnson's brother was behind bringing in Noble then that alone shows he's got the necessary quality.

I also think you're skating on pretty thin ice if you are even suggesting GJ might be involved in any corruption, unless you have any evidence.

I've already said before that I think Millen, in particular, is bloody lucky to still have his job. But I guess we have to remember that it's not easy to remove someone from their position these days in any business unless you are prepared to give them a pay-off, which is something we can't really afford unless absolutely necessary. And it has to be said that things have turned round a little on the fitness front, as you agree, so perhaps GJ thinks the coaching staff were being given the wrong orders, so to speak.

The bottom line is that the buck stops with GJ, and he will be judged on results. If he thinks his brother or the current backroom staff are what he needs around him to do it, then fine. He'll live or die by that decision.

RedTop,

I think you may have entirely misunderstood the principle of Equal Opps. An organisation doesn't get to choose which jobs apply for EO. Would it have been that hard for City to advertise the job for a scout? Do you think that there was really no-one else in London who could do the job? Actually, I don't have that much of a problem with GJ's brother being given the job. But, on that basis, City must remove the statement that they are an EO employer. They should replace it with a clause saying they are a nepotitic fiefdom.

I have no evidence that GJ is involved in corrupt practices but I do note the deafening silence from City when Newell (and latterly Holloway) made their claims.

This could all be helped by the type of transparency that ManU operate with respect to agents. For example, I'd like to know who got paid for the loan signings from Charlton. Indeed, how is our scout recompensed?

RedTop,

I think you may have entirely misunderstood the principle of Equal Opps. An organisation doesn't get to choose which jobs apply for EO. Would it have been that hard for City to advertise the job for a scout? Do you think that there was really no-one else in London who could do the job? Actually, I don't have that much of a problem with GJ's brother being given the job. But, on that basis, City must remove the statement that they are an EO employer. They should replace it with a clause saying they are a nepotitic fiefdom.

I have no evidence that GJ is involved in corrupt practices but I do note the deafening silence from City when Newell (and latterly Holloway) made their claims.

This could all be helped by the type of transparency that ManU operate with respect to agents. For example, I'd like to know who got paid for the loan signings from Charlton. Indeed, how is our scout recompensed?

My layman's understanding of Equal Opportunities employing means not discriminating against anyone because of their race, creed, sexuality, gender etc. I don't think appointing GJ's brother broke that.

If you are suggesting that every job at the club is advertised, then quite apart from the obvious harm caused by the delays, could I ask for your suggested wording for an advert for a new striker? Are you suggesting we should advertise that position in the Grauniad and open it to all applicants? Or is it okay for GJ's judgement to be used for the hiring of a player and not a scout? Given that both are roles where what matters is GJ's trust in the person that fills it and his assessment of subjective qualities, I fail to see the difference.

Guest Harry Dolman

I think you have to accept that whilst the admin, commercial etc side of the club may operate much like any other business in terms of recruitment policy/practice etc, the actual football side of it works entirely differently.

Prior to Dave Noble I am not sure that Johnson has ever paid more than £10k for a player - there doesn't seem to be much room for mega corruption there ??

Re Man Utd - they were forced (by 2 shareholders) into disclosing their payments to agents - I am pretty sure this was at least partially to embarrass Fergie as a lot of payments went to an agent who happened to be his son (I think).

My layman's understanding of Equal Opportunities employing means not discriminating against anyone because of their race, creed, sexuality, gender etc. I don't think appointing GJ's brother broke that.

If you are suggesting that every job at the club is advertised, then quite apart from the obvious harm caused by the delays, could I ask for your suggested wording for an advert for a new striker? Are you suggesting we should advertise that position in the Grauniad and open it to all applicants? Or is it okay for GJ's judgement to be used for the hiring of a player and not a scout? Given that both are roles where what matters is GJ's trust in the person that fills it and his assessment of subjective qualities, I fail to see the difference.

Being an Equal Opps employer does not just mean that you are not discriminating against people because of their creed, colour, sexuality etc. It means that you can show this also. For example, placing an advert in the Guardian only would be problematic because it would be likely that you would attract only white middle class applicants.

As it happens, as other's have stated, GJ's brother is robably only on a freelance basis so no legal equal opps have been breached. Nevertheless, I believe that you do not just show face value to Equal Opps employment whilst employing on whatever basis the brother of one of your senior employees.

My wording for such a position would be simple " We require a player to play for BCFC who is good and can show such a record". What's so hard to understand?

My wording for such a position would be simple " We require a player to play for BCFC who is good and can show such a record". What's so hard to understand?

But so you think we should be doing this, in order to demonstrate we are equal opportinities employers, Chivs?

Archived