IGNORED

The Anti-climax

potbelly

It puts into perspective how far we have come to think that Steve Brooker is the only squad player that we would worry about losing.

Think back to recent times when we were sweating on losing players like Tommy, Danny Coles, Lita, Phillips (yes Phillips!)

It`s not long ago that we had players that we really wanted to keep hold of and we were speculating about which big clubs would come in for who.

We don`t have that same class of squad player anymore. arguably our best (most technical) player, LW can`t even get on the bench at the moment.

This was an over hyped transfer window that started when GJ said (and i paraphrase)

"Don`t judge me now, wait until January when i will really be able to show you the calibre of player that this club needs to move forward"

Well, midnight has come and gone and from where i am sitting you still have the same squad that you were `left with`

Moan over.

The currant squad is very much the same squad that Johnson inherited from Tinnion.

Some have gone - Bridges,Golbourne,Partridge,Gillespie,Smith,Fortune but only Basso and Noble have signed a proper contract.Every other player Johnson has brought in has been on a loan deal.

It goes to show that by and large decent players were already at AG when Johnson took over.

Johnson obviously feels that he has enough quality to stay up which is not what he was saying back in November...

My guess is that Johnson having trimmed the wage bill and not spent anything during the January window will look to strenghten during the close season ready for a serious promotion push next season.

players like doc, coles, etc, etc that we were so worried of losing couldnt get this club out of this division after several attempts and are not exactly setting the world alight now!! i personally think we over rated them a touch.

as for the debate over whether its tinnions team or GJ's team. here are a few facts (IMO) which mean that although its the same players its a different team:

1) they are fit now and werent under tinnion e.g. scott murray is running flat out for 90 mins and is a real handful.

2) we have a defined style of play i.e. getting the ball in earlier to our strikers, getting the midfielders up to join in quickly, closing down the opposition nd pressing the game and generally playing at a high tempo.

3) attitudes have been questioned and comfort zones challenged and although there was turmoil in the 9 game run and the settling down period was far too long, the team has a more proffessional look about it.

4) we are transformed at set pieces, rather than looking useless at attacking them and hapless at defending them. we don't give much away at the back and are mugging team when its our turn.

there are others but i just want to make the point that managers do have a hell of a role to play. i think tinnion would of made a hash of things if he was coaching chelsea to be honest. as much as i respect what the bloke did for the club as a player.

players like doc, coles, etc, etc that we were so worried of losing couldnt get this club out of this division after several attempts and are not exactly setting the world alight now!! i personally think we over rated them a touch.

as for the debate over whether its tinnions team or GJ's team. here are a few facts (IMO) which mean that although its the same players its a different team:

1) they are fit now and werent under tinnion e.g. scott murray is running flat out for 90 mins and is a real handful.

2) we have a defined style of play i.e. getting the ball in earlier to our strikers, getting the midfielders up to join in quickly, closing down the opposition nd pressing the game and generally playing at a high tempo.

3) attitudes have been questioned and comfort zones challenged and although there was turmoil in the 9 game run and the settling down period was far too long, the team has a more proffessional look about it.

4) we are transformed at set pieces, rather than looking useless at attacking them and hapless at defending them. we don't give much away at the back and are mugging team when its our turn.

there are others but i just want to make the point that managers do have a hell of a role to play. i think tinnion would of made a hash of things if he was coaching chelsea to be honest. as much as i respect what the bloke did for the club as a player.

Correct

Disagree with milo on most points

1. Fitter not really - from the training ground I would say average - remember they were at the beginning of the season when Tinnion "left", so over half a season in, they should be in good condition - Johnson speaks of superior fitness only after a couple of wins - Murray running for 90 mins - we should expect nothing less but seeing as Coterill was breaking through and Ayinsah was doing ok he was called upon less - he is very much a confidence player so a good run in the team will make him improve no matter who is manager.

2. Defined way? Chasing the game and closing down the opposition, again we should expect nothing less from a club facing relegation and needing the points.

3. You think Tinnion didn't take them out of there zones - he didn't need grenades to make them move or threaten the team with "ten new signings in January".

4. Again we should expect nothing less from a team mid season - plenty of time to practice set plays etc. Which players did Johnson bring into the back four? I remember one or two!!!!! Not here now though.

I think Tinnion did ok to finish 7th in the division only one point off the play offs in his first season - "left" after 7 games and one really bad result after having the most influential players sold from underneath him and having to play a very weakened team. I remember the last game of the season at Hillsborough when his team tore apart Sheff Weds. a team with plenty of kids and potential.

This is now the team Johnson asks us to judge him on - the much improved team with major signings of quality - I hope he does well for this club, I will be watching what the team does on the pitch and not listening to anything that comes from his mouth because I think it's clap-trap.

Archived