IGNORED

Scrap The Academy?

A Horse With No Name

Red Un

My point is a simple one. These players only joined at a later stage of the total academy process that runs essentially from the age of 12 (or earlier) onwards. Strange that this should elude you as it has always been a central point in your own arguments that we should only measure the success of the academy when those recruits of 1998 finally graduate.

Joining at 17 is therefore joining at a later stage.

Red Un

My point is a simple one. These players only joined at a later stage of the total academy process that runs essentially from the age of 12 (or earlier) onwards. Strange that this should elude you as it has always been a central point in your own arguments that we should only measure the success of the academy when those recruits of 1998 finally graduate.

Joining at 17 is therefore joining at a later stage.

On that basis then, instead of saying ...

The majority of professional contracts given out to graduates of the academy in the last two years have gone to late imports into the system.
... you should have said ...

Every professional contract given out to graduates of the academy has gone to late imports into the system.

... since none of them have been in the academy system since the age of 12.

On the basis of what I saw on Saturday, I commend what will be the "class of '06" and onwards.

On that basis then, instead of saying ...

... you should have said ...

Every professional contract given out to graduates of the academy has gone to late imports into the system.

... since none of them have been in the academy system since the age of 12.

On the basis of what I saw on Saturday, I commend what will be the "class of '06" and onwards.

Red Un

Your reversion to this level of semantics only goes to reinforce my original statement on the matter of late imports.

Graham B

Your reversion to this level of semantics only goes to reinforce my original statement on the matter of late imports.

It isn't a matter of semantics, its a matter of fact - I am none the wiser as to why you choose to regard Woodman and Lita in a different light to other academy graduates. Please enlighten.

It isn't a matter of semantics, its a matter of fact - I am none the wiser as to why you choose to regard Woodman and Lita in a different light to other academy graduates. Please enlighten.

Lets take Lita as the example.

Lita joined as a first year scholar in 2001-02.

His colleagues in the u19 cohort would have joined in 1998-9 (academy inception)

Therefore Lita joined at a later stage than the others.

Therefore Lita is a late import

Keep the Academy, but stop being so precious towards its graduates.

The whole point of it is that a new crop of 2 or 3 advance into the first team squad at the end of each season.

To enable this to happen and still keep the squad lean an equal number must be moved on each year either by selling or contracts running out and NOT being renewed.

So, when we get a good offer for Aaron Brown from West Brom, take it. When Arsenal, Newcastle or Leeds were said to keen on Amankwaah before his accident, let him go. And if Cardiff or any one else puts a good offer on the table for Danny Coles, accept it . All with sell-on clauses of course.

Sell when a good offer comes in, when a player is performing at his peak, you may never get another one. Make the Academy pay and show the graduates City will not stop them progressing up the League.

If someone like Tommy Doherty stalls on a new contract after several mediocre season's on good wages, say thanks but goodbye.

Keep players on our terms or let someone else offer them better.

Stop giving graduates 3-4 year contracts (Clayton Fortune?) If they haven't proved themselves in 2 let them go. Keep them keen and determined to progress.

After all there's another group coming up champing at the bit to take their squad place and there will be the next year too.

That's the whole point and the club should be making this work to their advantage by prudent selling and shorter contracts.

At the moment some squad places are being taken by Academy graduates whose qualities are perhaps overblown. Graduates should be outstanding and ready to challenge the existing squad for their places.

Keep it, but be tougher with selection and contracts. And if City uncover a diamond and we need the money, then take it.

After all there should be a ready made replacement on the way......

Graham B asked if this was a contrived statement:

The majority of professional contracts given out to graduates of the academy in the last two years have gone to late imports into the system.

I see it all now - by your latest definition, anyone signing-up later than the first entrant will be deemed a "late import", therefore the first graduate is automatically in a minority of one.

So my answer to your original question remains - yes, contrived.

Personally, I think we should bring back Benny Lennartson as Academy director. The real progress we saw with youth development was when he was taking a greater interest in bringing through the young players. :D

Keep it, but be tougher with selection and contracts. And if City uncover a diamond and we need the money, then take it.

After all there should be a ready made replacement on the way......

In a nutshell Nogbad! Perhaps Graham and Red Un, could put away their handbags and debate the merits of your thoughtful post. :D

At the moment some squad places are being taken by Academy graduates whose qualities are perhaps overblown. Graduates should be outstanding and ready to challenge the existing squad for their places.

This is true for all members of the squad, not just graduates.

Archived