Going Down?

Godzilla

Time for a Bristol Boyesque post...

Our record for the last 11 games:

5 Wins

4 Draws

2 Defeats

That's 1.7 points per game.

If we continue at that rate we'll get another 25.5 points from our remaining 15 games (we'll round down on the basis we have 8 away games and 7 at home, and our away form is poor).

So that leaves us 25 points on top of our current 35 points.

60 points will keep us.

Job done; time to continue building over the summer.

my biggest worry was gary's comments the other day about only wanting 2 or three players in the summer.

left back, right back, left wing and two strikers, thats five area's we need to strengthen straight away without the thought of wilkshire, smith, savage and stewart leaving.

not saying orr is no good, i think he has done really well at right back, but we at least need cover!

my biggest worry was gary's comments the other day about only wanting 2 or three players in the summer.

left back, right back, left wing and two strikers, thats five area's we need to strengthen straight away without the thought of wilkshire, smith, savage and stewart leaving.

not saying orr is no good, i think he has done really well at right back, but we at least need cover!

Hopefully this will be due to GJ's overall review of the club.

If, after looking at the Academy players, he has seen 3 which he thinks should be upgraded at the end of the season ( say Williams, Benyon, Grubb for example) and will be immediately pressing for first team places then it would make sense not to sign extra players to further enlarge the squad whilst also limiting their chances of a breakthrough. A couple of those will probably debut this season anyway and be higher profile within the squad come next season.

If this is the reason for his deciding City need less players then I for one would fully support it.

5 Wins

4 Draws

2 Defeats

If we continue at that rate we'll get another 25.5 points from our remaining 15 games (we'll round down on the basis we have 8 away games and 7 at home, and our away form is poor).

60 points will keep us.

Unless we play two players up front who are capable of scoring goals, I think your estimate is optimistic.

We have one in Brooker, but who's the other? Stewart is capable but not in Johnson's plans and Savage will never be a goalscorer and is therefore a luxury we can't afford at this time. That only leaves Andrew, who is unproven.

Whatever happened to the plethora of strikers we had less than 9 months ago? (Gillespie, Bridges, Miller, Heffernan). And what are we left with? Andrew and Savage - that says a lot to me.

Guest Harry Dolman

Unless we play two players up front who are capable of scoring goals, I think your estimate is optimistic.

We have one in Brooker, but who's the other? Stewart is capable but not in Johnson's plans and Savage will never be a goalscorer and is therefore a luxury we can't afford at this time. That only leaves Andrew, who is unproven.

Whatever happened to the plethora of strikers we had less than 9 months ago? (Gillespie, Bridges, Miller, Heffernan). And what are we left with? Andrew and Savage - that says a lot to me.

But the run of 2 defeats in 11 has come with the strike partnership of Brooker/Savage - whose to say it can't continue ?? Now, if Brooker is out of action for a while then its panic time.

Re the plathora of strikers, based on their performances with us neither Gillispie or Miller would offer much, if anything more.

Hopefully this will be due to GJ's overall review of the club.

If, after looking at the Academy players, he has seen 3 which he thinks should be upgraded at the end of the season ( say Williams, Benyon, Grubb for example) and will be immediately pressing for first team places then it would make sense not to sign extra players to further enlarge the squad whilst also limiting their chances of a breakthrough. A couple of those will probably debut this season anyway and be higher profile within the squad come next season.

If this is the reason for his deciding City need less players then I for one would fully support it.

I think this statement is more due to amount of flak given after his comments about the January transfer window. This way he will not have constant pressure from us fans asking where all these transfers are !

I would be surprised to less than 4 new players arrive in the summer.

I think this statement is more due to amount of flak given after his comments about the January transfer window. This way he will not have constant pressure from us fans asking where all these transfers are !

I would be surprised to less than 4 new players arrive in the summer.

Maybe, or he just thinks the promising players mentioned are just as good a bet as most he could sign so he prefers to spend (fairly) big on a couple who'll make a real difference.

If he wants to increase the number of local players in the squad again it is pretty clear he will get support from the fans as well as increasing desire and team spirit.

With all the squad disruption of the last couple of years, and bearing in mind the contribution of the 7 brought in last Summer, i'd settle for the upgrades plus a couple of well thought out additions to plug any remaining gaps.

The worst thing would be if City signed excessive players to placate the fans and lads like Williams and Benyon were denied ever getting an extended chance.

Guest Harry Dolman

The worst thing would be if City signed excessive players to placate the fans and lads like Williams and Benyon were denied ever getting an extended chance.

In some ways there is a bad side of being a relatively big club (for our league). Take Clayton Fortune - whenever he played for us he knew he was either a stop gap or 1 mistake away from being dropped. The result, whilst he showed a lot of promise, there were a lot of nervous errors in his game.

We loan him to Vale, to begin with he's the same as with us - error prone. At this point we would have replaced him with someone else. However Vale literally had no choice but to persevere & hey presto he's player of the month for Dec.

Because we usually have a decent squad there is always "someone" else to come in & do a better job.

Guest Harry Dolman

apart from Southend away and Bradford away I think every remaining game is winable! maybe it's just blind faith!

The good thing is that on our day we can beat any team in the division.

Tha bad thing is that on their day any team in the division can beat us.

apart from Southend away and Bradford away I think every remaining game is winable! maybe it's just blind faith!

i hope to be able to get across to the bradford game, and personally what i hear about them from batum fans is very much similar to what i hear about us; not enough depth in the squad and inablility to score more than one or two goals a game. remember they only got a result against us with an own goal and haven't exactly lit up the division since, plusa they have one or two key players out long term injured. my prediciton is either a hard fought draw or us nicking a win. posi posi i know but i've not seen us lose this season the few games i've got to so i'm hoping i'm a lucky charm!

Guest Harry Dolman

i hope to be able to get across to the bradford game, and personally what i hear about them from batum fans is very much similar to what i hear about us; not enough depth in the squad and inablility to score more than one or two goals a game. remember they only got a result against us with an own goal and haven't exactly lit up the division since, plusa they have one or two key players out long term injured. my prediciton is either a hard fought draw or us nicking a win. posi posi i know but i've not seen us lose this season the few games i've got to so i'm hoping i'm a lucky charm!

I really don't fancy us v Bradford as a) they are pretty tight defensively & b) they are becoming a bit of a bogey side - last season we lost 4-1 away & drew 0-0 at home & already this time round they mugged us at the Gate.

In some ways there is a bad side of being a relatively big club (for our league). Take Clayton Fortune - whenever he played for us he knew he was either a stop gap or 1 mistake away from being dropped. The result, whilst he showed a lot of promise, there were a lot of nervous errors in his game.

We loan him to Vale, to begin with he's the same as with us - error prone. At this point we would have replaced him with someone else. However Vale literally had no choice but to persevere & hey presto he's player of the month for Dec.

Because we usually have a decent squad there is always "someone" else to come in & do a better job.

cannot believe what I'm reading. fair enough I'm no city fan but all i hear about is how (I said a naughty word) off u lot r that no signings have been made and the squad is simply not good enough.(as the league table shows) from the look of it you only have bas,brooker and marcus up front, hardly the someone else putting the pressure on and doing a better job???!!!

Guest Harry Dolman

cannot believe what I'm reading. fair enough I'm no city fan but all i hear about is how (I said a naughty word) off u lot r that no signings have been made and the squad is simply not good enough.(as the league table shows) from the look of it you only have bas,brooker and marcus up front, hardly the someone else putting the pressure on and doing a better job???!!!

Thanks for your contribution. The post was about young players in general & a centre back in particular. You demonstrated your understanding by then referring in name to 3 strikers, 2 of which are not in any way young or inexperienced. Please don't let this put you off contributing in future, though perhaps you may wish to restrict yourself to things where you have at least some knowledge.

Thanks for your contribution. The post was about young players in general & a centre back in particular. You demonstrated your understanding by then referring in name to 3 strikers, 2 of which are not in any way young or inexperienced. Please don't let this put you off contributing in future, though perhaps you may wish to restrict yourself to things where you have at least some knowledge.

the post didnt seem to relate to youth in my eyes. your main point was that you think players at clubs where they have to start due to small squad (port vale) seem to play better than at bristol city where there is a good squad and don't perform?

maybe i don't have the knowledge of bristol city but I'm still confused?

Guest Harry Dolman

the post didnt seem to relate to youth in my eyes. your main point was that you think players at clubs where they have to start due to small squad (port vale) seem to play better than at bristol city where there is a good squad and don't perform?

maybe i don't have the knowledge of bristol city but I'm still confused?

Uhh.... my original post was in response to someone else making that point that they hoped a few decent lads from the academy didn't get ovelooked.

What I am saying is that at a club with a smaller squad younger players do tend to get thrown in, but also have a better chance of getting a run of games - which ultimately does them good. If they just get a game here & there & know anything short of a stunning performance means they'll be out again next week then they are bound to be nervous.

Uhh.... my original post was in response to someone else making that point that they hoped a few decent lads from the academy didn't get ovelooked.

What I am saying is that at a club with a smaller squad younger players do tend to get thrown in, but also have a better chance of getting a run of games - which ultimately does them good. If they just get a game here & there & know anything short of a stunning performance means they'll be out again next week then they are bound to be nervous.

ok, can see where your coming from now. can work both ways though as if the youth have to perform they usually raise their game. the crowd also goes easy on young players as you don't always expect as much and if they make a mistake you don't get on their back as quickly.

5 Wins

4 Draws

2 Defeats

60 points will keep us.

take each game as it comes.....even I'm not expecting us to perform miracles..just see what happens..

you should just survive..time for you lot to stop the whinging and get behind yer team !!!!

regards

Archived