IGNORED

Johnson's Record

Ian M

If, as appears likely, Steve has sold Bristol City's soul to the devil, if past experience is anything to go by, he's probably asked for too little money, forgot to include a sell-on clause and overpaid the agent. Not to worry, though, because our soul will probably be on its way back soon albeit as a mere shadow of its former self.

There is hope. :blink:

You're right! Apparently, Colin forgot to post the offer to the devil so the whole deal is off.

:dunno:

Or the fact that we had a lot of our 'senior' players injured or woefully unfit at that time. Heywood, Russel etc.

Russell was absent in the three wins in four and Heywood missed two.Injuries to Heywood & Brooker were contributory factors as was the town boy incident as I've always said that. The other factors were those I mentioned and in that respect he never helped himself.

Absolute bunkum! "short & sweet","beside the point","unlikely"........

Never before have I seen such a manipulated ,rose tinted viewpoint utterly lacking in objectivity.

Get off the fence and speak your mind :whistle:

That we all want G.J. to succeed is undoubted,that he has struggled with certain issues is fact,life contains ups and downs ,what we hope for is that he has the capacity and intelect to grow and prosper from these lessons.Sure I want to embrace every plus-point,a win at S****horpe is encouraging,more so noises about attitude & commitment.However,72 hours earlier an inept performance more alarmingly devoid of all the qualities a team in our position needs.A week earlier,a totally ill equipped strike pairing,limited in experience and goal scoring prowess to anything ever turned out in the history of the club.Near total failure in the transfer & loan stakes where wise judgement is needed.

Can't argue with that

I listened to a fan on the radio on saturday who really could not see where the next win was coming from.Fortunately we got our answer quickly,but to selectively paint a picture of how things could be without the negatives is like looking at only one column on your bank-statement,the deposits do look good,but wow those withdrawals are part of the same story.

Yes,its early days and the future has to get better not least for him to survive, but our future will contain more poor runs,and yes fans and reporters will raise eyebrows at infathomable selections,and yes players will try it on in the behavioural stakes,its all part of management and that quite simply is why he is handsomely rewarded.

£150kpa and a Three Year Contract isn't bad, is it?

You mean the 'useless' loan signings that he was forced to make due to injuries?

No they weren't.Totally, factually incorrect.

At the time that we signed Sankofa (To cover Heywood) we had Fortune & Keogh available, GL won't give them a chance.Keogh played CB in the 0-0 draw at home against......let me see.......oh yes, the league leaders, Colchester!

We signed Youga as a centre back when Partridge decided to act like an ar$e.We still had Fortune & Keogh THEN GJ Plays Youga at LB AFTER PACKING OFF WOODMAN ON LOAN.

That is plain mental :@

There aren't going to be great loan signings out there anyway - a point which you have consistently failed to understand.

So why sign them then? What I know is that if you can't sign better players don't sign them at all and don't disrupt the club.We had better reserves in Golbourne ( I know he was subsequently injured), Fortune, Keogh & Woodman.

He probably could have done worse than bring in 2 Charlton reserves, one of whom played first team football for the French Champions last season.

Youga was not as good as Woodman at LB.Thats a fact that GJ now knows and you fail to understand.I don't care if he played for Brasil in the World Cup, I rate players on what they do, not who they are and if we want a Charlton reserve I'd prefer Kevin Lisbie or the lad that Brum pulled out of signing who's name I can't remember.

Obviously you've by-passed the appauling conduct of 3 of our players in the city centre incident too...

I was the first to condemn in, I Christened it "The Town Boy Inciden and have made a point of mentioning it virtually every time I have criticised the loans and/or GJ

But carry on, blaming away BB....

Your blind support of anything Johnson does is a nauseating as your blind condemnation of Tinnion.Open your eyes and look at what's happening, not who's doing it.

As always, I give credit where it's due and criticism where that's due.

That'll continue.

Agreed, but I think it would be unfair to say that GJ had learnt nothing from the way he handled the previous loan signings. The way he has gone about introducing the current loans for instance is better, none of them went straight into the team.

But has he learnt about the quality of players required?

I would have preffered better players who could have come straight in and changed things for the better.

I'm unhappy with all of his signings with the exception of Basso (As good as Phillips not better?) & Noble.

That causes me concern for the future and concern over what he'll buy when he does have money.

The Jury is still out.

Russell was absent in the three wins in four and Heywood missed two.Injuries to Heywood & Brooker were contributory factors as was the town boy incident as I've always said that. The other factors were those I mentioned and in that respect he never helped himself.

£150kpa and a Three Year Contract isn't bad, is it?

Almost as good as £250K per year at £50K per goal!!

I all seriousness though, you have to say that a record of three defeats in the last 13 league games represents a big improvement so surely Johnson has to be given credit for that, particularly as the three defeats have been against top six sides (two of those away from home). I believe we only have one more current top six side to play so the future hardly looks disastrous if the team maintain the current commitment.

My main criticism of Johnson is that he has brought too many inexperienced loan players to the club, no natural wingers and is giving trials to one or two very ordinary players.

Almost as good as £250K per year at £50K per goal!!

I all seriousness though, you have to say that a record of three defeats in the last 13 league games represents a big improvement so surely Johnson has to be given credit for that, particularly as the three defeats have been against top six sides (two of those away from home). I believe we only have one more current top six side to play so the future hardly looks disastrous if the team maintain the current commitment.

My main criticism of Johnson is that he has brought too many inexperienced loan players to the club, no natural wingers and is giving trials to one or two very ordinary players.

I'll agree with that, but make this point.

Things are not as good as his initial period, 3 wins in 4.They are better than the 0 wins in nine and my point throughout all this is that if GJ had done things more rationally, with less tantrums and maintained the respect of the players & fans alike, that he had in abundance initially, then we would have gained at least 7 points during that period, have 45 now and be looking up the table at the play offs, rather than nervously over our shoulder. :(

The loan players have been an incredible disappointment to me..........Cue a Clavin Andrew Hat Trick Saturday :)

I'll agree with that, but make this point.

Things are not as good as his initial period, 3 wins in 4.They are better than the 0 wins in nine and my point throughout all this is that if GJ had done things more rationally, with less tantrums and maintained the respect of the players & fans alike, that he had in abundance initially, then we would have gained at least 7 points during that period, have 45 now and be looking up the table at the play offs, rather than nervously over our shoulder. :(

The loan players have been an incredible disappointment to me..........Cue a Clavin Andrew Hat Trick Saturday :)

I agree he makes some strange signings. Apparently Nathan Abbey has signed to the end of the season. Is he waiting to see what Phillips does? And the fact that Mark McCammon has just signed for a month indicates Andrew's days may be numbered.

Guest Harry Dolman

But thats poor conjecture. The losing run started before the "hand grenade" - we had already lost to Oldham, Chesterfield & Barnet. We don't know, the losing run may have happened anyway - the likes of Southend, Chesterfield & Donny were all in good form at the time we played them.

If major cultural change was required, I don't relly see how it could have been done in anything other than a "big bang" approach. Maybe (conjecture, again) GJ had tried the softly softly but the players didn't respond ??

I agree he makes some strange signings. Apparently Nathan Abbey has signed to the end of the season. Is he waiting to see what Phillips does? And the fact that Mark McCammon has just signed for a month indicates Andrew's days may be numbered.

I know Johnson continues to get a lot of stick for his loan signings but it's better than signing some of these players permanently. I see it as an opportunity to trial players for a month before signing them. If they're good keep them, if not send them back. Also loan outs - again a chance to give players the opportunity to improve away from the Gate. If Fortune really has improved as much as people say we can take him back at the end of the season. Ditto the others. If not then at least we're not paying their wages and might be able to offload them.

Guest Harry Dolman

I know Johnson continues to get a lot of stick for his loan signings but it's better than signing some of these players permanently. I see it as an opportunity to trial players for a month before signing them. If they're good keep them, if not send them back. Also loan outs - again a chance to give players the opportunity to improve away from the Gate. If Fortune really has improved as much as people say we can take him back at the end of the season. Ditto the others. If not then at least we're not paying their wages and might be able to offload them.

Undoubtedly Johnson is a bit of a wheeler dealer (probably because the clubs he's previously managed have had, by necessity, a mend & make do philosophy) & I have no doubt that throughout his tenure we will see a high turnover of loanees/trialists. In fairness if you're shopping in the bargain basements you are bound to pick up some duds on the way.

Compare with our previous transfer policy of generally overpaying for players (the name Dave Partridge comes to mind here...)

Archived