IGNORED

Weve Missed Out On This One

Mikenoski

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=36...+Chelsea+switch

I know its been said before but I really do think we should be scouting a lot more non-league players.

As Lansdown openly says, "we do not have a scouting network" obviously prior to GJ's brother coming in. If the manager, who ever it may be, likes a player and usually its after he's scored goals or played very well against us, they send a coach to watch that player a few times ala Brooker. They then get quoted an extortionate fee and either pay over the odds for a player who could have been picked up for peanuts with a scouting network in place or bottle it.

Yet again Lansdown needs to answer this question seriously, not just dodge it. I raised the Andy Sandell debate to Steve L, a tricky left winger in the Alan Walsh mould at Bath who Swansea are taking at the end of the season, and he just avoided the issue completely.

It seems the Academy has made scouting null and void at City and I know what I personally believe is more valuvable, especially when our Chairman offloads every bit of decent young talent off for 'undisclosed fees' :grr:

Surely the Academy has some kind of scouting network??

Obviously. But the point I'm making is that asides from Johnson's brother scouting around London (ironically enough as the post is about a non-league London based forward and we're not interested :dunno: ) a senior scouting network isn't there. Of course youngsters will be scouted and there's many ways of doing it. For instance, a coach could go watch his son play and come across a decent player. Mainly it's word of mouth. If there's a decent player in the region then the coaches will hear about it and probably offer him a trial and take it from there

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=36...+Chelsea+switch

I know its been said before but I really do think we should be scouting a lot more non-league players.

i wouldnt say we have missed out on him. afterall what makes you think he would chose us over chelsea? and he may not even get a pro contract which will then leave the door open for other clubs.

i do agree 100% with you on the scouting thing though. it seems we are the only club in the country without a scouting network. even the sags manage to find a few decent non-league players every now and then!!!

Guest leanne_bcfc

Compared to that of Rovers with Nathan Ellington, Barry Hayles etc.

I would disagree that Mark Shail was the last decent non league player we had, I would say Steve Phillips was.

i wouldnt say we have missed out on him. afterall what makes you think he would chose us over chelsea? and he may not even get a pro contract which will then leave the door open for other clubs.

i do agree 100% with you on the scouting thing though. it seems we are the only club in the country without a scouting network. even the sags manage to find a few decent non-league players every now and then!!!

Thats why I said we'd missed out...because now the likes of Chelsea have come knocking. If we or any other lower league club had got in there earlier then it wouldnt have been a case of choosing Chelsea over us.

Guest HampshireCider

Thats why I said we'd missed out...because now the likes of Chelsea have come knocking. If we or any other lower league club had got in there earlier then it wouldnt have been a case of choosing Chelsea over us.

So does that mean we were in with a shout when scott sinclair left rovers for Chelsea?? I'm pretty sure no one saw that move coming, scouting net work or not :disapointed2se:

Guest leanne_bcfc

STOP

Apparantly i've been told if you type 'stop' into a message, annoying messages will stop being sent to you. I'm just interested to know if it works on the forum as well? :dunno::blush:

Surely the Academy has some kind of scouting network??

As far as strikers are concerned you don't need too much more that the top goalscorers lists. If this 20 year-old lad has 28 goals to his name already, you can be sure he's worth looking at.

James Constable was so close to home, as was the Bath City winger, that there's no excuse for not poaching them. You don't need a network of spies necessarily, just common sense.

Gary Johnson has a knowledge of that level from his Yeovil days and should have a few in mind, I'm shocked we haven't signed any (fits the budget!).

You're right, we need to improve the situation, and personally I'd like to hear what the management team have to say on the matter.

By the way, I'm sorry to turn this into a football forum when the lonely hearts are trying to pull...

Guest HampshireCider

As far as strikers are concerned you don't need too much more that the top goalscorers lists. If this 20 year-old lad has 28 goals to his name already, you can be sure he's worth looking at.

James Constable was so close to home, as was the Bath City winger, that there's no excuse for not poaching them. You don't need a network of spies necessarily, just common sense.

Gary Johnson has a knowledge of that level from his Yeovil days and should have a few in mind, I'm shocked we haven't signed any (fits the budget!).

You're right, we need to improve the situation, and personally I'd like to hear what the management team have to say on the matter.

By the way, I'm sorry to turn this into a football forum when the lonely hearts are trying to pull...

Studying the scoring charts is what every other club does first. we need scouts at Mangottsfield,Bath, FGR, all our local clubs and Even the pro 5 tournaments, Bristol has a rich array of football talent for us to tap into and the board are just lettin it slip away by letting other clubs get in front of us :@

God knows why we are scouting London based players while it seems god knows who are maiking the most of our smaller local clubs and sunday league talent! :@

Its only a matter of time before one of these kids who move half way across the country for a contract anounce he would have jumped at the chance of a trial at city !

Have a word with yourself mate. Its only a bit of banter.

It's boring.

Reading it just makes me think of internet geeks getting excited cos it's the closest they'll ever get to a cleavage. That's how it comes across, call me cynical.

Anyway, I think City should look to the lower leagues for future talent, particularly the local area.

Studying the scoring charts is what every other club does first. we need scouts at Mangottsfield,Bath, FGR, all our local clubs and Even the pro 5 tournaments, Bristol has a rich array of football talent for us to tap into and the board are just lettin it slip away by letting other clubs get in front of us :@

God knows why we are scouting London based players while it seems god knows who are maiking the most of our smaller local clubs and sunday league talent! :@

Its only a matter of time before one of these kids who move half way across the country for a contract anounce he would have jumped at the chance of a trial at city !

Agreed mate.

It's boring.

Reading it just makes me think of internet geeks getting excited cos it's the closest they'll ever get to a cleavage. That's how it comes across, call me cynical.

Anyway, I think City should look to the lower leagues for future talent, particularly the local area.

don't read it then mate. Fairly simple really.

Guest HampshireCider

I used to know a talented little player in Bristol, He had junior medels coiming out of his ears!! top scorer, most improved, the list goes on. He applied for trials at City and Rovers with no luck. He finaly got a trial with Shefield Wednesday (Pre Championship)

Hes been there a while now and figures in their youth teams on a regular basis and has made the bench this season too.

My point is how can Bristol justify letting players be spotted by teams that far away (this kid even applied in writing to the club with his acheivments and was told sorry but, blah blah blah!

This boy is city through and through and wont be the last young local player to be overlooked

I know high members of the board read this forum so can you PLEASE sort this situation out!!

you have nothing to lose by scouting but eveything to gain!! :city::chant6ez::city:

Guest leanne_bcfc

Compared to that of Rovers with Nathan Ellington, Barry Hayles etc.

I would disagree that Mark Shail was the last decent non league player we had, I would say Steve Phillips was.

Some people need to take a long, hard look at themselves. All i've done is post a perfectly normal message and ive started a massive debate. :dunno::doh:

Guest HampshireCider

Some people need to take a long, hard look at themselves. All i've done is post a perfectly normal message and ive started a massive debate. :dunno::doh:

Isnt that the idea of this forum??? DEBATE :doh:

I used to know a talented little player in Bristol, He had junior medels coiming out of his ears!! top scorer, most improved, the list goes on. He applied for trials at City and Rovers with no luck. He finaly got a trial with Shefield Wednesday (Pre Championship)

Hes been there a while now and figures in their youth teams on a regular basis and has made the bench this season too.

My point is how can Bristol justify letting players be spotted by teams that far away (this kid even applied in writing to the club with his acheivments and was told sorry but, blah blah blah!

This boy is city through and through and wont be the last young local player to be overlooked

I know high members of the board read this forum so can you PLEASE sort this situation out!!

you have nothing to lose by scouting but eveything to gain!! :city::chant6ez::city:

I thought your story was going to end with 'and that players was...', and it would be someone amazing!

May still turn out that way. The way he was shunned isn't really on, but then we have to assume that they run the rule over loads of players.

Our club has suffered from bad decision making at all levels for so long now. Signing Leroy Lita was one example of a shrewd bit of business and coaching but we need more of that.

Archived