IGNORED

Oops Phillips Unhappy Again Tonight

Redtrojan

You could view this so called strop as Passion for the club!

Maybe he wants his place back so much that the fustration is showing this second time rather than the little kid antics!

Maybe he feels hes tryed really hard to fight for place back, and the clown in goal at the moment keeps making mistakes.

Phillips back in goal for me please :D

I think Phillips' comfortable unchallenged life is taking a bit of an overhaul lately, and he is taking a while to adjust!

First of all another keeper who was a serious challenge to his place was brought in, he wasn't used to that. That keeper then gets and keeps his place. (Treat both keepers as equals for the moment, their differing strengths and weaknesses are another debate).

Phillips then has a bit of a think and wants a transfer. Then he has another think, possibly remembering his Testimonial and decides he wants to stay and fight for his place. He gets a few starts in matches due to injuries to Basso but when Basso is fit he is the 1st choice at the moment.

Attitude and work ethics are clearly very highly thought of by GJ, we as fans are very aware of that so the players can be left with no doubt?

Yesterday(?) Basso was quoted on the main site, after the arrivial of Nathan Abbey, saying 'the more the merrier, competition is good etc'. Basso i have been told trains hard and expects others to equally comitted, which hasn't always gone down too well with some others.

Phillips behaviour, and I am only going on what has been said in this thread, is totally against GJ expectations from one of his most senior Pro's. Yes I expect him to be upset and so does GJ (I think) as at least it shows desire. But his atitude should not be shown in public.

Russel and Mac also got took off early, maybe for saturday so why not Phillips?

Like someone else has said, there is only going to be one winner.

But this is a fully grown man we are talking about. He should know that when things don't go his way that having a p1ssy fit isn't going to solve matters, and that expressing your unhappiness in public will only make matters worse. Surely you and I have more maturity than that let alone a PROFFESIONAL footballer! He's been paid thousands of pounds a week! That's not repaying the club that made him the man he is today is it. If anything he should be sligthly resigned to loose his place, he shouldn't be assuming that he is bigger than BCFC.

To be fair to Tin I have also noticed Carey having a fair old ding dong with Basso on quite a few occasions due to him not coming for the ball/crosses....however we all know that Carey and Phillips are big buddies so not really a surprise there - maybe trying to highlight his errors for his manager to see? A bit far fetched maybe but you never know - certainly don't recall Louis chastising Phillips!!

Like I said - don't really notice any of the other back four doing it.... I can only go by what I see most weeks and to be fair the times that Phillips has had to come on (Yeovil especially springs to mind) my heart has been in my mouth - that tells me that I'm more confident with Basso between the sticks....

There is no doubting Stevies ability - as has been said you don't get voted into the PFA team if you don't have any - but his attitude really does stink if what has been said about him is true....

Quite interesting, if true.

Phillips has finally shown his true colours after years of having it easy at City and becoming complacent.

Johnson won't take the risk of one bad apple possibly spoiling the bunch and so if Phillips isn't willing to stay and fight for his place then adios to him as far as I'm concerned.

Don't think we'd miss him, certainly haven't these past few months...

And Phillips has finally shown his true colours, what colours would that be? Phillips is a bad apple? Phillips is not willing to fight for his place? and you know all of these things because? Please, go on...tell us the information that you are privvy to.

It is only in these 'insignificant' reserve matches that fringe players, and non playing first team subs get the chance to impress, so try telling them that the match is insignificant.

exactly, so phillips shouldnt begrudge abbey a little run out, who knows abbey may make some horrendous cockups which would only help steve's chances of getting back in the team.

but then perhaps steve is worried that he'll slip down to third in the food chain!

Guest Harry Dolman

Phillips saves a penalty on 68 minutes, subbed on 70 minutes, I think even I would be a bit peed off with that.

Seems the reporter on the official site was a bit perplexed as well, quote: "Nathan Abbey replaced Phillips near the end to make his city debut, although there was no sign of an injury to the Bath-born stopper"

Its a reserve game. The purpose of which is to give the manager a chance to look at players & a chance to give players that aren't currently in the 1st 11 a run out. On the basis that Phillips was having a good game, it seems pretty obvious he was taken off so that Johnson could look at Abbey - I'm not sure why Phillips would be remotely p'd off ??

Overall I don't think that theres much to choose between Basso & Phillips. However, Basso has picked up a few injuries in a relatively short period - so we get another keeper in, all makes perfect sense to me

Phillips should be Number One, without a doubt.

Form is temp, class is perminant.

As manager, Johnson must get the best out of the better players, rather than getting the best out of League 2 players.

Phillips is class.Well that does raise a smile.Obviously you don't watch very often.He has panicked more defences with his flapping than I would care to remember.He is not a complete keeper and never will be.If he had had some consistent competition for the his place he would probably have left by now.Also the fact he can't even be bothered to help Basso in warm up before games show just how purile he is.

And Phillips has finally shown his true colours, what colours would that be? Phillips is a bad apple? Phillips is not willing to fight for his place? and you know all of these things because? Please, go on...tell us the information that you are privvy to.

WHAT???

Are you disputing that Phillips has thrown his toys out the pram since he's been dropped? The fact that he has admitted he took being dropped the wrong way and reacted to it badly maybe?

I'm privvy to the facts.

Also, I didn't say that Phillips was not willing to fight for his place!

Next...

It all comes down to attitude.

In my opinion, Basso and Philips are both good, not great keepers and there isnt much to choose between them, but Philips throwing his toys out of his pram will do him no favours.

Until he realises that it takes more than just ability to earn yourself a regular squad place and that he is competing with a keeper who is good enough to keep him on the bench, he won't reclaim the no1 whilst he has a hissy fit at GJ.

Wouldn't Philips have been pleased with his performance anyway? and realised that GJ was simply replacing him just to get a look at Abbey?

i have alot of time of stevie phillips. i think he has been a consistant and reliable player for city over the whole of his time at the club. but i don't think this argument is about his ability, its about his attitude.

as someone who was present stated above phillips saved a penalty and had a good game before being withdrawn. who is to say he'd not played himself back into the side? the first thing everyone says is "GJs rubbish; no idea to deal with players" but what proves this? steve is already having a strop BEFORE GJ has a chance to talk to him! Russel performs; is withdrawn early. big mac performs; is subbed. no reports of them complaining. this is EXPECTED, and often leads to a shot at the starting 11. granted, maybe phillips knows something we don't, but even if this is the case it does him no favours to publicly lose his rag with the man who picks the side.

even in private the same tirade is likely to be more effective, because A) it would give GJ a chance to explain the decision to withdraw him; B) undoubtably GJ has an ego and bruising it in front of his former clubs fans will annoy him; and finally C) it would give steve time to clam down, before making his case.

add to this that abby has only just signed and it was nigh on inevitable he would be on the pitch at some point it makes the whole situation look pretty bad on phillips part. i'll say again i have all the time in the world for phillips, but this kind of behaviour is only going to damage his chances, which i for one think is a damn shame. :(

Guest Harry Dolman

What makes its worse for Phillips is that attitude him & Basso are chalk & cheese. We sign another keeper, Basso says great "bring it on", whilst shortly afterwards Phillips has another wobbler.

I don't understand how GJ can let this happen - most successfull managers have always said some players need a boot up the backside and some need an arm around the shoulder, so having signed up Nathan Abbey it was obvious he would want to have a look at him in a competitive reserve game, and given that we don't have that many reserve games the Yeovil game was an obvious choice...

so why didn't GJ say to Phillips (knowing how Phillips has reacted in the past when he feels he is being slighted or overlooked) before the game .."I'm going to give Nathan a run out for the last 20 minutes"

and avoided all this

Surely he didn't make up his mind halfway through the second half to put Abbey on?

or perhaps - he was thinking Phillips had such a good game he was going to play him Sat & didn't want him injured

But it does look a little like his treatment of Stewart when he played Andrews when Bas was injured, and here he publically takes off Phillips when he's playing well - GJ likes everybody to know who's boss that's for sure..........would like to have been fly on the wall in the Yeovil dressing room !

For what it's worth I prefer Basso (although both keepers have weaknesses) but think above all GJ needs to work at getting the best out of every player (that's his job) and I'm not sure his handling of Stewart & Phillips is working to the benefit of BCFC so far.

My view:

I wasn't there so I don't know what happened or if it's true. Presuming he did get stroppy I can't understand why. We were all expecting Abbey to get 20 mins, unless Gary Johnson misled Phillips into thinking he'd get a full game.

It's all just conjecture so there's no need yet for people to get on their high horses, but I hope Phillips isn't acting like a kid.

I think Phillips is a better goalie than Basso - not by miles, but better.

WHAT???

Are you disputing that Phillips has thrown his toys out the pram since he's been dropped? The fact that he has admitted he took being dropped the wrong way and reacted to it badly maybe?

I'm privvy to the facts.

Also, I didn't say that Phillips was not willing to fight for his place!

Next...

I'm not disputing that phillips has thrown his dummy out, but there are ways to handle situations that bring the best out of people, and not turn the apple cart over.

If you are privvy to the facts, why don't you share them with the rest of us? or is this a case of 'I know for a fact, but can't tell you' syndrome.

It's weird, but this kind of reminds me of my Cats. :blush:

At one point Candy was the only only cat i had, i lovely loyal affectionate siamese who i love to bits, shes 11 now.

I thought Candy was getting lonley in her age so i got her a mate from the Cattery, Dino, a 10 week old Tabby, Candy did not like Dino and was nasty to it hissing at him and smacking him about, this was out of charater for Candy, she's usually lovley. Poor Dino.

As i love Cats i found it hard to keep turn away a tray who was comming though the Cat flap for food occasionally, Both Dino & Candy didnt like this new Stray and saw it off at every oppertunity.

But in time the Stray (now named Charlie) is one of the family and all 3 cats get along fine, well Candy is still the Boss and will snap at them if they wind her up, but the two boys get along fine now, they are buddies.

I'm sure all three of my Cats have never been happier, they have their own terroritry and accept they need to get along.

Sorry, not as related as i thought at first, i just love my cats :wub:

so why didn't GJ say to Phillips (knowing how Phillips has reacted in the past when he feels he is being slighted or overlooked) before the game .."I'm going to give Nathan a run out for the last 20 minutes"

and avoided all this

Do we know that he didn't say that?

Maybe Johnson gave him plenty of indication but Phillips decided that he didn't need to listen.

It's weird, but this kind of reminds me of my Cats. :blush:

At one point Candy was the only only cat i had, i lovely loyal affectionate siamese who i love to bits, shes 11 now.

I thought Candy was getting lonley in her age so i got her a mate from the Cattery, Dino, a 10 week old Tabby, Candy did not like Dino and was nasty to it hissing at him and smacking him about, this was out of charater for Candy, she's usually lovley. Poor Dino.

As i love Cats i found it hard to keep turn away a tray who was comming though the Cat flap for food occasionally, Both Dino & Candy didnt like this new Stray and saw it off at every oppertunity.

But in time the Stray (now named Charlie) is one of the family and all 3 cats get along fine, well Candy is still the Boss and will snap at them if they wind her up, but the two boys get along fine now, they are buddies.

I'm sure all three of my Cats have never been happier, they have their own terroritry and accept they need to get along.

Sorry, not as related as i thought at first, i just love my cats :wub:

That is mint Mr C, a great insight into the life of your cats.

I hope Dino doesn't have any psychological development problems as a result of Charlie, we all know the long term effects that that can have on a youngun...

Lunchtime entertainment couldn't get any better.

The bottom line is that the Evening Post and official site both reported yesterday that Nathan Abbey was 'expected to appear at some point'.

I would be absolutely amazed if, bearing in mind the EP and official site knew this that no-one mentioned it in passing to Phillips or indeed Johnson told him!

That doesn't add up - which all points to it being another stupid reaction from Phillips from a situation which he clearly STILL hasn't learnt to deal with.

As someone on this thread rightly said - Abbey joins and Basso is well up for fighting for his place, meanwhile down in deepest darkest Somerset Phillips throws tantrum. I think this tells us all we need to know.

And quite how any of this is Johnsons fault I don't know.

Guest Harry Dolman

But it does look a little like his treatment of Stewart when he played Andrews when Bas was injured, and here he publically takes off Phillips when he's playing well - GJ likes everybody to know who's boss that's for sure..........would like to have been fly on the wall in the Yeovil dressing room !

I really don't understand the theory about Johnson being a big meany to Phillips. My recollection of events is:

When Johnson arrived it was obvious that he encouraged Phillips to come for more crosses (which was equally an obvious weakness in his otherwise sound game). When Phillips did this successfully, Johnson was hugely supportive (I could hear him shoting encouragement).

The team then went into a bad run. As sometimes happens the run rubs off on the keeper who starts making errors (Southend 1st goal, Notts Co's free kick). As almost inevitably happens in such a scenario the keeper gets dropped. The fact is, if the team are on a bad run, the last thing you need is the keeper gifting goals away. So Phillips gets dropped, which is exactly what would have happened at most other clubs.

2 things then happened, Basso came in & did pretty well & subsequently Phillips puts in a transfer request - which he later withdraws.

Over Xmas Phillips gets some opportunties, did ok at Yeovil, but cost us a goal at Gillingham. Basso has done ok, not spectacularly good, but ok, but he has made the odd error.

In all of this I really can't see the bit about Phillips being hard done by ?? Yes he has given us years of service (for which he's been handsomely rewarded) but a football club needs to look to the future, not continually reward those that have done well in the past.

Why are GJ's man management skills non existent? Please, go on...tell us the information that you are privvy to.

I'm not disputing that phillips has thrown his dummy out, but there are ways to handle situations that bring the best out of people, and not turn the apple cart over.

If you are privvy to the facts, why don't you share them with the rest of us? or is this a case of 'I know for a fact, but can't tell you' syndrome.

I would also suggest GJ has chucked his toys out of the pram too, those toys being some of our better players, incidently the ones who have achieved something in the game, MS, MB, LW, and SP... and yes i would say being a consistent keeper at BCFC is an achievement.

Basso has chucked away a fare few goals now, and though he has played well in other departments you would have expected in most cases when a keeper chucks the goals he has recently that they would lose thier place. GJ seems to have a problem with pedigree players. No i am not privvy to any facts suggesting this, however it does appear pretty obvious.

I really don't understand the theory about Johnson being a big meany to Phillips. My recollection of events is:

When Johnson arrived it was obvious that he encouraged Phillips to come for more crosses (which was equally an obvious weakness in his otherwise sound game). When Phillips did this successfully, Johnson was hugely supportive (I could hear him shoting encouragement).

The team then went into a bad run. As sometimes happens the run rubs off on the keeper who starts making errors (Southend 1st goal, Notts Co's free kick). As almost inevitably happens in such a scenario the keeper gets dropped. The fact is, if the team are on a bad run, the last thing you need is the keeper gifting goals away. So Phillips gets dropped, which is exactly what would have happened at most other clubs.

2 things then happened, Basso came in & did pretty well & subsequently Phillips puts in a transfer request - which he later withdraws.

Over Xmas Phillips gets some opportunties, did ok at Yeovil, but cost us a goal at Gillingham. Basso has done ok, not spectacularly good, but ok, but he has made the odd error.

In all of this I really can't see the bit about Phillips being hard done by ?? Yes he has given us years of service (for which he's been handsomely rewarded) but a football club needs to look to the future, not continually reward those that have done well in the past.

Can't disagree with your version of events. For me the only point of dispute is whether Phillips or Basso is a better goalkeeper.

Their ability is similar (they both have obvious flaws and have both made errors), hence opinion is divided.

I prefer Phillips, Robbored doesn't (the obvious example!). No big deal.

Now, if Phillips is a stroppy git depends on whether this rumour is true. If he is that's a shame, but again no big deal.

I think people know these things because for starters he handed in a transfer request only weeks after losing his place for the first time in years.

For another, not willing to participate in warm ups because he didnt start a match,

And for another throwing a tantrum yesterday for being subbed to let another goalkeeper try out.

I only think he is staying because of his testimonial, This season has indeed shown his true colours.

Stormed down the tunnel after being subbed tonight shouting at GJ that he was taking the p*ss.

Does he never learn,there's only going to be one winner there.

As far as the rest of the game was concerned,we were far the better side against a weak Yeovil team.The front two especially Bas looked good.Phillips also had a great game which makes his antics when subbed even more suprising(as i imagine GJ had seen enough to be impressed).Russell's goal was a thirty yard cracker and it was very very cold.

Roll on saturday,things are looking up.

If true, then that will be it for Phillips. I have heard from numerous friends that Phillips moans openly to fans about Johnson. I want players who are willing to fight to wear a city shirt not those who think they have a god given right.

I went into a hairdressers in clevedon with one of the service users from work, and Phillips was sat there already. I missed most of his converstation with the barber, but one thing he said that i did catch was, and i quote

Its bad enough losing your place in the team after 160 [cant remember the number] odd straight appearences to a goal keeper from a lower leauge, but to lose it to a foreigner? it just makes it worse!

how bad does that sound? and this is not from a source or someone told me or anything like that. I heard those words come straight out of the idiots mouth!

I heard a little story about Phillips. Apparently some of his teammates were on a wind up and decided to change Phillips' number plate from S70PER (stopper) to FLAPPER. Allegedly he went absolutly mad, shouting ,swearing and threatening people.

He really does need to take a long hard look at himself in my opinion as it seems he takes himself far too seriously.

He should remember, before this club took a chance on him, he was playing non-league with Paulton. BCFC have taken a chance and given him a career out of the game and this is the way he repays them?

I have played at the same level as Paulton Rovers (Screwfix Prem at the time) (and at their ground), and would have given my left bo####k to play pro football.

I'm not knocking his ability, I'm knocking his attitude because it absolutely stinks.

Archived