IGNORED

Oops Phillips Unhappy Again Tonight

Redtrojan

Stormed down the tunnel after being subbed tonight shouting at GJ that he was taking the p*ss.

Does he never learn,there's only going to be one winner there.

As far as the rest of the game was concerned,we were far the better side against a weak Yeovil team.The front two especially Bas looked good.Phillips also had a great game which makes his antics when subbed even more suprising(as i imagine GJ had seen enough to be impressed).Russell's goal was a thirty yard cracker and it was very very cold.

Roll on saturday,things are looking up.

Phillips should be Number One, without a doubt.

Form is temp, class is perminant.

As manager, Johnson must get the best out of the better players, rather than getting the best out of League 2 players.

Maybe, but Phillips behaving like a stroppy kid every time something goes against him isn't going to endear him to the boss is it ?

Phillips should be Number One, without a doubt.

Form is temp, class is perminant.

As manager, Johnson must get the best out of the better players, rather than getting the best out of League 2 players.

although that might be a good point there is no reason for phillips to be unprofessional about it by shouting at his gaffer in public. i've got no opinion on who should be inbetween the sticks but if what was said above is true, he could have saved his rant for the dressing room, there is no need to do so on the sidelines. i don't think its very professional.

I can understand his frustrations, he has been consistent over the past few years, and yet, whatever Brasso does, he remains Number 1. Equally, it is unprofessional, although you wonder if something has happened off-pitch. As soon as I heard that we had signed Abbey, I wondered if Phillips might go, in fact, I honestly wonder if GJ might pick Abbey if Brasso gets injured, after all, he did pick Andrew over Stewart at Barnsley. I think Steve should be Number 1, but quite honestly, the way things are going I am just beyond caring any more.

Quite interesting, if true.

Phillips has finally shown his true colours after years of having it easy at City and becoming complacent.

Johnson won't take the risk of one bad apple possibly spoiling the bunch and so if Phillips isn't willing to stay and fight for his place then adios to him as far as I'm concerned.

Don't think we'd miss him, certainly haven't these past few months...

What is it with you Phillips guys?

Phillips was OK, now we have someone slightly better.

How on earth can you come to that opinion??? :dunno::doh:

Basso is an absolute joke. He's made more mistakes this season than Phillips has in the last five. Johnson has to bury the hatchet with players like Stevie and Stewart because they are among the best we have. Phillips has been treated shoddily after a decade of great service. What's Basso ever done? Nothing that's what, apart from get bombed out of a $hite conference side. He's cost us more points this season than anyone else, including another three at Bradford. Get the joke out, now GJ, for the good of the club.

Basso is an absolute joke. He's made more mistakes this season than Phillips has in the last five. Johnson has to bury the hatchet with players like Stevie and Stewart because they are among the best we have. Phillips has been treated shoddily after a decade of great service. What's Basso ever done? Nothing that's what, apart from get bombed out of a $hite conference side. He's cost us more points this season than anyone else, including another three at Bradford. Get the joke out, now GJ, for the good of the club.

You must watch games with your eyes shut mate, what a load of crap you've just spouted.

Phillips was a good keeper, but this season totally lost the plot, should be released as his behaviour is not only emmbarssing the club, but himself.

Basso is number 1, and hopefully will remain number 1 for a long time.

You ask what Basso has ever done, well what the ###### has Mr Bigshot Phillips done?

You need to forget the fact he's been here for ages and look at his performances on the pitch, then some of you Phillips fans will admit we have a new goalkeeper that is much better and dosen't cry when something dosen't go his way.

He got caught out by a good cross at Bradford which cost us 2 points, true. But Phillips has been poor on crosses his whole career. It appears to me that the defenders prefer to play with Basso because he commands a larger area of the pitch in front of him.

Phillips must know why GJ prefers to play Basso but seems unwilling or unable to change the way he plays.

Quite interesting, if true.

Phillips has finally shown his true colours after years of having it easy at City and becoming complacent.

Johnson won't take the risk of one bad apple possibly spoiling the bunch and so if Phillips isn't willing to stay and fight for his place then adios to him as far as I'm concerned.

Don't think we'd miss him, certainly haven't these past few months...

I agree 100%, I have no preference either way about who is in goal for us but Phillips seems to be petulant the minute something happens he doesn't agree with. He really needs to grow up.

You must watch games with your eyes shut mate, what a load of crap you've just spouted.

Phillips was a good keeper, but this season totally lost the plot, should be released as his behaviour is not only emmbarssing the club, but himself.

You ask what Basso has ever done, well what the ###### has Mr Bigshot Phillips done?

You need to forget the fact he's been here for ages and look at his performances on the pitch, then some of you Phillips fans will admit we have a new goalkeeper that is much better and dosen't cry when something dosen't go his way.

Lost the plot? From what I can tell, he's made a couple of mistakes on the pitch (name a keeper in the world who doesn't), he's suffered for them and was subsequently dropped for being complacent.

I agree, he needs competetion, but I feel somewaht that GJ is being rather harsh and childish over the situation.

How would you feel if you were in the very same situation and replaced by a keeper who ok, is on par with him, but by no means better....then for a third rate keeper who couldn't make it at Boston comes in as competition, hardly motivating stuff is it exactly?

I'm sure players could understand being dropped if they were being replaced by players of better ability, the fact is they aren't.

What's Phillips done for City? I can remember quite a few seasons with him between the sticks where we've been very close to success... in a situation we envy now.

Basso is fair competetion, but how everyone can class Phillips as woeful etc this season baffles me.

I'm sure it must be very frustrating for Phillips and i have always thought he's a very good keeper.Last night he had a great game with a good one on one save ,a penalty save and a great save from a close in shot-all 3 should have been goals but weren't due to phillips's skill.He made one miskick which nearly resulted in a goal ,otherwise had a faultless evening.Now had an outfield player performed that well he would almost certainly be pushing for a start saturday.Unfortunately there is only one keepers position and therefore it doesn't tend to work like that.

What puzzles me and i'm sure will hinder his chances of a recall was his very public reaction to the substitution.First he took an age to come off the pitch,initially starring dumbfounded at the bench shaking his head.When he finally did stroll slowly off he shook hands with abbey,yelled at GJ and ran straight down the tunnel-giving the Yeovil supporters one of the only bits of amusement all night.

The bench all looked slightly bemused and after about 3 mins GJ walked down the tunnel,with all the Yeovil fans taking a collective indrawing of breath and shouting out fairly amusing comments "go get him tiger","go easy on him","get the medics" etc.What was said in the changing room you can only guess at .

But it's a shame that this is happening.I hope for Phillips' sake he can sort out his frustrations ,but i fear he may well end up moving on.

Phillips was substitued probably because Johnson wanted to have a look at Abbey in a competetive game.In fact it said in yesterdays WDP that it was likely that Abbey would play at least part of the game.Phillips must have known that.

Phillips needs to grow up.He's acting like a 10 year old schoolboy.

I have always rated Phillips, but he knows aswell as everyone else, that throwing your toys out of the pram is not going to do you any favors. I'm sure it must be extremly frustrating for him as he has been so comfortable as late, but hes got to act with a little more control and show he is willing to fight for his place on the pitch. xx

You can see why Phillips would be frustrated at being taken off. As a professional footballer he wants to play and by all accounts he was having a good game.

It may of course revolve around what GJ had said at the start of the match. I'm sure at reserve level he will brief certain players about his plans for them for the match ie Ok son I'm going to give you at least 45 mins, don't expect to play the whole 90 or I'm going to give you all 90 mins ect.

You wonder if GJ had said to Phillips before kickoff that he was giving him a full 90 mins. GJ might have seen enough to give him a recall on Sat and so pulled him off, but Phillips instead of keeping his cool has had a hissy fit! It would be ironic wouldn't it if Phillips was heading for a first team recall and has blown his chances with his actions.

I think you will find he saved us from a loss at bradford, or didnt you see his excellent save from windass's shot? obviously not :doh:

There was not alot he could do with there goal either, awesome cross and well taken finish.

Once again, GJ's man management skills are non existent, why does everyone think he is such a fantastic bloke? I have yet to be convinced by him, some of team selections, substitutions, loan signings, man management, have all left me baffled at times.

I would dearly love him to convince me, but as of yet, he hasn't. Yes, we have had a FEW good results, but we're hardly setting the world alight are we.

How does a goalkeeper fight for his place? no matter how good he plays for the reserves, the player who has first team shirt will not get releaved of his duties unless a) he has an injury, or b) has a succession of awful games. Basso has made mistakes, which have cost us goals, but he is one of GJ's boy's and therefore, I believe, is pretty untouchable.

How does a goalkeeper fight for his place? no matter how good he plays for the reserves, the player who has first team shirt will not get releaved of his duties unless a) he has an injury, or b) has a succession of awful games. Basso has made mistakes, which have cost us goals, but he is one of GJ's boy's and therefore, I believe, is pretty untouchable.

Surly a goal keeper fights for his place during training just like everyone else? xx

When have you known a goalkeeper be dropped just because the 'keeper playing in the reserves has had good games?

A 'keeper will only be replaced because of the reasons stated above and no other reasons.

When have you known a goalkeeper be dropped just because the 'keeper playing in the reserves has had good games?

A 'keeper will only be replaced because of the reasons stated above and no other reasons.

Fair comment, i just don't think he's doing himself any favors but stropping off. :handbags: He needs to keep his cool. xx

I think you will find he saved us from a loss at bradford, or didnt you see his excellent save from windass's shot? obviously not :doh:

There was not alot he could do with there goal either, awesome cross and well taken finish.

So if Basso cant make his mind up weather to come for the cross or not, but ends up in no mans land, is because its a awesome cross?

So what about the s****horpe goal? among many others noone slagged basso off for that yet if it was Phillips most of the people on here would mouth him off well bad etc etc and basso if he so good how come he could'nt cut it at woking?

Phillips is a good goalkeeper but makes his mistakes, who doesnt?

By all means Phillips not been at his best this season but for me I'd Play Phillips over Basso everytime.

bcfc_4_life

I'm sorry but I just get fed up with people coming on here and slagging Phillips off. Ok, he is acting like a child judging by his reaction(s) and needs to grow up and expect competition for his place. He was moddycoddled under Wilson, and whilst that brought the best out of him, he needs to realise it won't be as cushti under GJ.

But Basso should not be number one for a long time. Look at the facts at what Phillips HAS done... Phillips has been voted in the PFA Team of Year for two of the last four seasons as THE best goalkeeper in the league by his peers. People who jump on his back this year need to remember that when he was looking a touch dodgy this season it was behind a back four that changed every week with those lads from Charlton. You put him in now behind the current successful, settled back four and you'd see the rewards.

For you to say that an ageing somebody who got the bomb at Woking after twenty odd games should warrant a place as our permanent number one is a shocking shout IMO.

From my vantage point, the defence aren't more confident around him Basso. They take a no-nonsense approach because they clearly don't have confidence in him. The amount of times I've seen Heywood or Carey needlessly knock the ball out of play when he could have claimed it and look around for a shout from him has been ridiculous. Even the facts back up that Basso HAS been more costly in his errors this season than Phillips.

All I'm saying is that SP needs to improve his attitude massively but he is still the best keeper at the club and I do want to see GJ holding one of these grudges against him, ala Stewart, for the detriment of the team.

Phillips saves a penalty on 68 minutes, subbed on 70 minutes, I think even I would be a bit peed off with that.

Seems the reporter on the official site was a bit perplexed as well, quote: "Nathan Abbey replaced Phillips near the end to make his city debut, although there was no sign of an injury to the Bath-born stopper"

Phillips is a girl, he certaintly hasn't done himself any favours doing this if anything it makes Basso's place more secure.

Phillips saves a penalty on 68 minutes, subbed on 70 minutes, I think even I would be a bit peed off with that.

Seems the reporter on the official site was a bit perplexed as well, quote: "Nathan Abbey replaced Phillips near the end to make his city debut, although there was no sign of an injury to the Bath-born stopper"

Still doesn't jusify having a tantrum over an unsignificant reserves match.

Archived