IGNORED

One For The Optimists And Mentalists

mozo

If there's anyone out there living in cloud cuckoo land and still harbouring fantasies of City sneaking into the play-offs thus setting up an unprecedented promotion, I thought I'd do my best to fan the flames of your delusion:

If you take a look at the current league table -

1 Southend 35 21 64

2 Huddersf 35 13 60

3 Barnsley 35 17 59

4 Colchest 33 16 59

5 Swansea 35 22 58

6 Brentford 33 17 58

15 Bristol C 35 -9 42

the team that we can be most hopeful of somehow catching are our rival Swanseas (they have no games in hand).

Now, Swanseas have only won 2 in their last 6 and are having injury problems with defenders such as Iriekpen, Austin and Watt all out for the rest of the season. Add to that their awful disciplinary record, there's every chance of suspensions furthering their selection cirisis.

Their next game is away at in-form Barnsley. If they lose and we beat Forest, City will be 13 points behind them.

They then have Walsall and Brentford, the first surely a win, the second a very tough game. Meanwhile, we'll have six more point from strugglers MK Dons and Gillingham. Closer still.

Our run continues, so does theirs and who knows...wouldn't it be apt to displace them and steal their spot.

Okay nutters, take a smoke on your crackpipes and dream away!

• Admin

If there's anyone out there living in cloud cuckoo land and still harbouring fantasies of City sneaking into the play-offs thus setting up an unprecedented promotion, I thought I'd do my best to fan the flames of your delusion:

If you take a look at the current league table -

1 Southend 35 21 64

2 Huddersf 35 13 60

3 Barnsley 35 17 59

4 Colchest 33 16 59

5 Swansea 35 22 58

6 Brentford 33 17 58

15 Bristol C 35 -9 42

the team that we can be most hopeful of somehow catching are our rival Swanseas (they have no games in hand).

Now, Swanseas have only won 2 in their last 6 and are having injury problems with defenders such as Iriekpen, Austin and Watt all out for the rest of the season. Add to that their awful disciplinary record, there's every chance of suspensions furthering their selection cirisis.

Their next game is away at in-form Barnsley. If they lose and we beat Forest, City will be 13 points behind them.

They then have Walsall and Brentford, the first surely a win, the second a very tough game. Meanwhile, we'll have six more point from strugglers MK Dons and Gillingham. Closer still.

Our run continues, so does theirs and who knows...wouldn't it be apt to displace them and steal their spot.

Had a look at Swansea's fixtures and I reckon on them picking up 17 points. That would put them on 75 points.

We would then have to win ALL our remaining games PLUS overturn a 31 goal better goal difference :huh:

Had a look at Swansea's fixtures and I reckon on them picking up 17 points. That would put them on 75 points.

We would then have to win ALL our remaining games PLUS overturn a 31 goal better goal difference :huh:

Don't get me wrong Madger, I don't take crack and therefore don't give the throey any credibility!

Hypothetically, you'd want Swansea to go on such bad run that they fail to amass those 17 points, and City would have to embark on a helluva good run. Not going to happen, apart from in some people's imaginations perhaps.

Mind you if City win and Swansea lose this weekend, I might just keep an eye out for their following res :blink: ult!

Only if you insist - don't mind if I do!

With genorous offers like this, I'm beginning to like the cut of your jib, as far as jibs go ofcourse, not particularly a Jibby type person though.

Anyway my dreaming...

City have just won all their remaining games 4-0 and are looking forward to the play-off games as they are the unquestionably in-form team, Just met the bird of my dreams and am getting things on, oh, it's nice and sunny outside and I have a much bigger annual wage.

Anybody not given up on reality yet, hows it going out there?

Still as heart breaking and miserable as I remember it?

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

...cos reality, it's not for me, and it makes me sad....

('Disney Girls' - Beach Boys)

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Not to mention there is the small matter of 8 teams between us, that if Swansea slip up big time would fancy they are better placed than us to take advantage.

Stranger things have happened mind. Just not very often!

Don't be so negative guys!

Come join us dreamers!

Until it is mathematically impossible (because it won't be, we'll go on a run like WTFiGO!?! alludes... and he'll get the bird) we will not stop dreaming!

Going up going up going up....... :ph34r:

We don't have to win all of our games :doh: .

Stage 1: We have to win all of our home games (Nottingham Forest, Gillingham, Yeovil, Oldham, Swindon). That is a great possibility and opportunity if we just play football.

Stage 2: Pick up over 11 points out of 18 in the away games. Now this is a little steeper, but if we get a reasonable run, then this is also achievable - Rotherham, Walsall, MK Dons, Tranmere??????

If this is achieved, then we are looking at play-offs.

Come on people, think about this.

:ph34r:

Stage 1: We have to win all of our home games (Nottingham Forest, Gillingham, Yeovil, Oldham, Swindon). That is a great possibility and opportunity if we just play football.

Stage 2: Pick up over 11 points out of 18 in the away games. Now this is a little steeper, but if we get a reasonable run, then this is also achievable - Rotherham, Walsall, MK Dons, Tranmere??????

:city::chant6ez::pray:

:farmer:

• Admin

Not meaning to piss on anyone's bonfire but that scenario would require either Brentford to pick up 9 points from 13 games or Swansea to pick up 9 points from 11 games.

Not only that, the teams in between us and 6th place would have to suffer terrible run-ins too.

The ONLY way we can reach the play-offs is if we win at least 10 (but more likely 11) of our remaining 11 games.

Sorry.

Best we can achieve is 8-10th and 60-65 points. Not enough, and most fans are aware of it.

Its time for building blocks, forge next seasons combinations, blood the better 17-19 year olds, decide which loan players are worth keeping, and keep tabs on the 1-2 signings that SL and GJ are talking about.

We all want promotion, and one of our downfalls has been slow starts to the season. Next season GJ should have us fitter, keener, and ready to fly out of the blocks and get the early points that have been missing in recent seasons.

Not meaning to **** on anyone's bonfire but that scenario would require either Brentford to pick up 9 points from 13 games or Swansea to pick up 9 points from 11 games.

Not only that, the teams in between us and 6th place would have to suffer terrible run-ins too.

The ONLY way we can reach the play-offs is if we win at least 10 (but more likely 11) of our remaining 11 games.

Sorry.

So it's still possible then?

:dance::dance:

:me?:

Not meaning to **** on anyone's bonfire but that scenario would require either Brentford to pick up 9 points from 13 games or Swansea to pick up 9 points from 11 games.

Sorry.

although i'm not holding out any hope we can reach the play off this term i CAN see the highlighted bit above coming true!

despite their good spell for about half the season and all their spending in the window they've won just four games in 16, where as we've won six of our last 16. add to that the fact that us and swansea both have been the losing side on only four occasions over the same period would prove we are making up ground on them. plus they still have to go away to barnsley, port vale, oldham and chesterfield and host brentford and southend, with the matter of a two leg LDV semi final against colchester helping clog their fixture list and strech their already depleted squad along the way. on the otherhand, we play only three teams in the top half of the table nd have yet to face 7 of the 8 teams below us. lets just say i think GJ would have taken our run in over the jacks any day!

i think we might finish alot closer to them than we are at present, but the play off are a long, long shot.

but still, you should never stop dreaming! :englandsmile4wf:

Guest Cary Grant supported City

Now that the Welsh have got their "little" bit of "Independence" with their National Assembly being opened yesterday, the Swamps, now have to go and play in their National league!!.

So that means the team finishing 7th can replace them in the Play-Off's, so we now only have to finish in 7th place, which is less pressure than trying to finish 6th!!.

:dance::dance::dance:

Now that the Welsh have got their "little" bit of "Independence" with their National Assembly being opened yesterday, the Swamps, now have to go and play in their National league!!.

So that means the team finishing 7th can replace them in the Play-Off's, so we now only have to finish in 7th place, which is less pressure than trying to finish 6th!!.

:dance::dance::dance:

really? is this a wind up?

well i have been piping on about us getting there from my cumulus nimbus clouded head for 3 weeks now. But as various posters have said it requires several clubs to slip up quite badly not one.

Now the positives...

1. Many are playing each other and we have one of the 'easiest' run ins.

2. Once we start winning teams genuinely do run scared of the mighty City and this is an added positive factor

3. I said 3 weeks ago we needed 32 points from a possible 37 left [or maybe it was 39 don't recall] We are on course for that having won 2 and drawn 1 of the last 3. That would give us 70 points which i think would be just about enough this season as its closer than last year. But goal diff will kill it in any case.......hang on.....

as i write this though i am beginning to talk myself out of the point of it all! Cos it ain't going to happen - lets get real here!! too many imponderables. 8th place - yeahhhhhh 67 points.

Soft spot for Brian Tinnion - Radio Bristol - orghhhhhhh.

Best we can achieve is 8-10th and 60-65 points. Not enough, and most fans are aware of it.

Its time for building blocks, forge next seasons combinations, blood the better 17-19 year olds, decide which loan players are worth keeping, and keep tabs on the 1-2 signings that SL and GJ are talking about.

We all want promotion, and one of our downfalls has been slow starts to the season. Next season GJ should have us fitter, keener, and ready to fly out of the blocks and get the early points that have been missing in recent seasons.

I'd be delighted with 8-10th.

For any manager to take over a side after 9 league games that are second bottom and playing like a bunch of no-hopers, and to turn them into a decent top half team, is an impressive achievement.

Archived