IGNORED

Basso

Rob k

The following is a quote from a forest fan.

Oh and apart from a two or three bad kicks, what did Pederson do wrong? He made a few good saves, came out for crosses. Couldn't do owt about the goal.

Brasso however, about 10 bad kicks, dropped the ball 4 or 5 times and made a meal out of saves which were right next to him and somehow missed the one that hit the bar, despite it going just over his head!

I was fairly confident he was going to drop one into the goal.

This was taken from the bbc sport website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mb606/F2231915?thread=2410022

Hmm. I thought Pedersen did quite well at the weekend...

I seem to be stuck between the Basso and Phillips appreciation societies where I sit in the Atyeo and it doesn't make comfortable viewing, I can tell you.

The Basso section spend the afternoon sining, "Oh, Bassssssooooo. Oh, Bassssooooo."

The Phillips section seem to sit there making snidey remarks about how Phillips wouldn't have miskicked that directly to the opposition (apart from in his early days, of course...)

As for me, well, I'm not too bothered who plays.

I think Basso's kicking is dreadful - and he was far worse than the Forest keeper on Saturday - however, when Phillips was dropped he totally deserved it. He'd been playing badly for a few weeks and as he's shown since then, he's needed the kick up the proverbial. As Twentypence would say.

So where does that leave us? I don't know. Give Sam Pearce a contract and the number 1 shirt for next season, that's what I say. And maybe a pair of platform shoes...

Basso does seem to have a habit of making saves look better than they are but this may be because he always tries to hold onto the ball which is alot harder to do but always preferable if possible. Nobody can deny his kicking is aweful and it is very difficult to choose between the two. THey are there for competition for each other so maybe Phillips should be given a chance to see how he has really responded to this situation.

Sam Pearce must be a decent keeper if he is in the Wales U-21's. I have never really seen him but he does look a tad on the small side but I don't really see why we signed Abbey if we have a Welsh u-21 International as our third choice already.

Pederson did pull off some good saves but his kicking was also poor.

thought both keepers where shocking personally!

basso is a clown!

Spot on. Basso's one of those keepers who ought to have a photographer behind him everytime he overreact's to a shot straight at him. His kicking was beyond poor (yet again) and I really thought he'd cost us another goal when he ran out of his box in the second half only to get nowhere near the ball and luckily for us all it went for a corner. He watched the ball sail over his head onto the bar when the ball was easily catchable and these are just incidents from Saturday's game!

He IS a clown!

As has been said - Basso and Phillips are there to provide competition for eachother and I agree that Phillips should eventually be given another chance to prove himself. However, Basso only got a first team run out because Phillips was in a bad run of form and was costing us points.

I think it is a good thing that we are now a club whose fans can debate over who our first choice keeper should be. It wasnt too long ago that Phillips was the only realistic choice.

We are doing well at the moment and Basso has played a big part in that surge in form. We may not be out of the woods just yet but when I look at our current league position, I'm certainly feeling a lot less anxious.

For now Basso deserves to keep the shirt and also deserves less criticism from some of the fans.

Basso is an entertainer and his 'spectacular' saves are just part of his showmanship.Lots of Latin 'keepers are the same but still good 'keepers despite thier flambouyance.

The bottom line is that Basso is far better than Phillips when coming for crosses and dominating the box.That instills more confidence in the back four.He may not be as good shot stopper (although thats debatable) as Phillips but he more than makes up for that with a better all round game.

I gotta say, if a pro footballer cant 'kick a ball', be it a keeper or whoever, then surely somethings wrong. Basso and Phillips kicking are inconsitent to say the least, but surely they should be capable of kicking straight, not to bothered about the distance, but at least keep it in play and idealy to a player on our side.

I was chatting to a guy next to me in the Dolman, and we both agreed both keepers kicking MAY have been down to the ground at the East End of the pitch, as it was only at that end, the 'keepers kicking was poor.

Maybe the pitch was frozen at that end, as it wasnt getting any direct sunlight.

I'm not being naive about Basso's kicking as it can be poor at times, but just maybe this time it wasnt entirely his fault.

With Basso's saves he tries to get his body behind the ball no matter if it's a foot away from him or 5 foot. His kicking is dreadful but he sometimes finds the man but it needs to be improved.

You must watch a different keeper because as far as i can see, he seems to dive even when it is not needed. Phillips got dropped of poor mistake, so should Basso. It will keep them keen and working hard.

Spot on. Basso's one of those keepers who ought to have a photographer behind him everytime he overreact's to a shot straight at him. His kicking was beyond poor (yet again) and I really thought he'd cost us another goal when he ran out of his box in the second half only to get nowhere near the ball and luckily for us all it went for a corner. He watched the ball sail over his head onto the bar when the ball was easily catchable and these are just incidents from Saturday's game!

He IS a clown!

Have you seen the picture in todays Western Daily Press/ Basso in full flight. A Kodak moment (as mentioned by the guy in Dolman Block M)

You must watch a different keeper because as far as i can see, he seems to dive even when it is not needed. Phillips got dropped of poor mistake, so should Basso. It will keep them keen and working hard.

I was saying he tries to get his body behind the ball, it doesn't mean he needs to because half the time he doesn't need to.

Basso is an entertainer and his 'spectacular' saves are just part of his showmanship.Lots of Latin 'keepers are the same but still good 'keepers despite thier flambouyance.

The bottom line is that Basso is far better than Phillips when coming for crosses and dominating the box.That instills more confidence in the back four.He may not be as good shot stopper (although thats debatable) as Phillips but he more than makes up for that with a better all round game.

Commands his area - you are having a laugh. At what point on saturday did he command the box, i can barely remember one cross that he came for (actually that was the one he dropped and then picked up again) and I can remember plenty of crosses where he was rooted to the line. His kicking is a liability and he makes simple saves look spectacular. His judgement coming off the line to clear is poor.

We will see how entertaining you find things when he costs us points in vital games. I think that your views must be somwhat tainted by an intense dislike for Phillips because there is absolutely no football reasons why Basso should be in the side.

In view of the fact that Johnson seems to share your emnity towards Phillips I am surprised that you are so keen for him to move onto another club or have you now changed your view on the manager?

Commands his area - you are having a laugh. At what point on saturday did he command the box, i can barely remember one cross that he came for (actually that was the one he dropped and then picked up again) and I can remember plenty of crosses where he was rooted to the line. His kicking is a liability and he makes simple saves look spectacular. His judgement coming off the line to clear is poor.

We will see how entertaining you find things when he costs us points in vital games. I think that your views must be somwhat tainted by an intense dislike for Phillips because there is absolutely no football reasons why Basso should be in the side.

In view of the fact that Johnson seems to share your emnity towards Phillips I am surprised that you are so keen for him to move onto another club or have you now changed your view on the manager?

Judgeing from your flawed perception of goalkeeping I guess you must be a girlie.

Fact is that on Saturday Forrest didn't exactly bombard the City box with crosses and Basso dealt with corners very well.How you can say 'at what point did his command the box' when the game didn't demand it had to is beyond me.

The footballing reason for Basso starting ahead of Phillips has been highlighted many times and yet to don't seem to acknowledge them and you turn things into 'an intense dislike'.Not exactly a cultured arguement....

Judgeing from your flawed perception of goalkeeping I guess you must be a girlie.

Fact is that on Saturday Forrest didn't exactly bombard the City box with crosses and Basso dealt with corners very well.How you can say 'at what point did his command the box' when the game didn't demand it had to is beyond me.

The footballing reason for Basso starting ahead of Phillips has been highlighted many times and yet to don't seem to acknowledge them and you turn things into 'an intense dislike'.Not exactly a cultured arguement....

Robbo, I happen to agree that Basso is slightly better at crosses and dominating his box than Phillips, although I wouldn't exactly say he commands it.

However, you do tend to lose all credibility with your agruments when you accuse someone of having a flawed perception of goalkeeping through being a 'girlie'.

I just hope that was a case intense sarcasm...

the clamitus errors he has made in the past more than justify him being called a clown, just read some of the reviews of his performances for woking, scary stuff.

his showboating and over-spectacular saves are comedy, people tolerate them when he is performing well, but if he could just do the basics it wouldn't be soo bad

Archived