IGNORED

City Players In Court

StapleHillPhil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4785924.stm

Not much to say really.

Four professional footballers have appeared in court charged with affray following a brawl at a nightclub.

Wales international David Partridge, 27, was arrested with his Bristol City team-mates, Scott Brown, 20 and Bradley Orr, 23, early on 12 October, 2005.

City's lead scorer Steve Brooker was also later questioned over the violence which flared up at Romeo Browns nightspot in Bristol city centre.

The first-team players were all charged with affray last month.

'Brief hearing'

Mr Partridge, who was a substitute in Wales' friendly with Japan last week, also faces a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The footballers spoke only to confirm their names, addresses and dates of birth, during Wednesday's brief hearing at Bristol Magistrates' Court.

No formal pleas were entered by any of the men.

District Judge David Parsons adjourned the case to 3 May, when they are expected to be committed to crown court. in respect of player confidentiality the addresses have been removed, - have been charged with common assault over the same incident.

comitted to Crown Court is not good news - this will be trial by Jury + harsh sentences

All the jury will be gasheads knowing our boys luck

Strange that both our Boys and the doormen are being charged when I thought the fracas was between them?

Must have been these against somebody else

I am very worried these guys will be made examples of -

case of you can get away with it in the Prem but not in League One...

Yep; defendant's addresses are given to the press, read any court case report in the EP. The amount of column inches depends on the occupation of the accused. "Bricklayer accused of murder, armed robbery rape and arson" will not be so sensational as "Footballer in drunken brawl".

Yep; defendant's addresses are given to the press, read any court case report in the EP. The amount of column inches depends on the occupation of the accused. "Bricklayer accused of murder, armed robbery rape and arson" will not be so sensational as "Footballer in drunken brawl".

Interesting that three of them all live in Port Z. I suppose it's nearer for training

My understanding is that affray carries a maximum sentence of seven years :(

It's only speculation, however, if found guilty, I reckon fines for the doorman, Brooker, Orr & Brown and, given the severity of the additional charge against Partridge, six months and he'll do three, unless of course there are any previous convictions to be taken into account against any of those involved.

All in All, this ain't good news :(

If the city players are getting done why have the two doormen have been charged with common assault?

Also Crown Court's allow for >6 month jail terms - gulp!

Because, even if you're a copper or a victim of crime, you are only, believe it or not, allowed to use reasonable force.

That means, for example, if you're a doorman, reasonable force is seen as restraint and/or self defence, not putting someones head through a plate glass window and fracturing their skull.

Remember Tony Martin :whistle:

why do the BBC have to list their addresses? Is this a common thing?

Listing addresses is done as a matter of course to identify the individuals concerned and prevent the wrong person being linked to the court case, for example a different David Partridge who lives in Bristol - something which can lead to potential libel proceedings and has done in the past, if my fuzzy memory of journalism college serves me right. Hence the details of an individual such as name, job and address are as specific as possible to minimise the chances of mistaken identity.

Even with footballers this can be important. For example - hypothetically, I stress! - imagine our former left midfielder Aaron Brown was charged with an offence. Just saying 'Division One soccer star Aaron Brown appeared in court yesterday charged with assault outside a nightclub' could lead to a case of mistaken identity, because as we all know there's another Aaron Brown playing in our division. So the address is an important factor in ensuring accuracy.

Guest revkev

It's only speculation, however, if found guilty, I reckon fines for the doorman, Brooker, Orr & Brown and, given the severity of the additional charge against Partridge, six months and he'll do three, unless of course there are any previous convictions to be taken into account against any of those involved.

Because, even if you're a copper or a victim of crime, you are only, believe it or not, allowed to use reasonable force.

That means, for example, if you're a doorman, reasonable force is seen as restraint and/or self defence, not putting someones head through a plate glass window and fracturing their skull.

If Partridge is found guilty and gets banged up for three months in May he'll be out by the start of the season.

Listing addresses is done as a matter of course to identify the individuals concerned and prevent the wrong person being linked to the court case, for example a different David Partridge who lives in Bristol - something which can lead to potential libel proceedings and has done in the past, if my fuzzy memory of journalism college serves me right. Hence the details of an individual such as name, job and address are as specific as possible to minimise the chances of mistaken identity.

Even with footballers this can be important. For example - hypothetically, I stress! - imagine our former left midfielder Aaron Brown was charged with an offence. Just saying 'Division One soccer star Aaron Brown appeared in court yesterday charged with assault outside a nightclub' could lead to a case of mistaken identity, because as we all know there's another Aaron Brown playing in our division. So the address is an important factor in ensuring accuracy.

Can you imagine it? "League One player Aaron Brown.... not the Tamworth one.... the one at Swindon..... no, not the CNN one...." etc. MAYHEM. The Sun could do a competition as to which Aaron Brown would look best in an arrow clad suit.

Wow, you learn something new every day. Steve Brooker supposedly lives around the corner from me.

In other news, I really can't see this being a jail sentence for affray. Community service and a fine possibly. As for Mr. Partridge, he's in a bit more of a sticky situation.

I haven't really got any idea as to what happened in this case, but 9 out of 11 times I gone properly into town on a night I have seen someone get arrested, and often this is because of fighting/abuse. If all of these people get seven year jail sentences, it is no surprise the jails are overcrowded.

Interesting that three of them all live in Port Z. I suppose it's nearer for training

they seem to have always had players in p,head. All three lee,s, peacock, miller and matthews all used to live in p,head in the same estate along with danny coles and kevin amankwah...like you say its easy to get to the training ground.

I looked up the maximum sentence for Affray and it is three years. I think the seven year limit might apply if it is racially aggravated. I would imagine that the person who really needs to be worried is Partridge.

Archived