IGNORED

Gary Johnson - Well Done

Markman

Give Johnson time!

He did what needed to be done - sorting out the players attitudes - the nine losses happened because of the conflict of interests between the players' and Johnsons'. If Johnson had given into the players after say 4 of the 9 straight defeats and let them have what they want to stop them from stamping their feet, where would we be now? We'd still have the bad attitutes wouldn't we! As it stands, Johnson seems to have won that battle and can now concentrate on making this team into a good team! Haven't you seen the good football we have been playing. The summer will provide an opportunity to really sort this squad out and next season we will make a proper good go at it!

Does anyone actually want Johnson sacked? If we sack him and get another manager - who will of course need another bedding in season - then sack him when he doesn't take us up after first attempt - get another manager in - then sack him etc... City fans need to back THIS manager!

WE NEED STABILITY!!!!!! :chant6ez::city:

• Admin

Point (3) I can accept that the team has been playing well in recent games - but the team were playing well after Johnson took over.Three wins and an unlucky defeat in the first four games. We all know what happened then and its taken this long for Johnson to get things back to where they were when he took over.

I'm not giving credit to anyone for clearing up thier own mess.

Ok, don't give credit for learing up his own mess, however, as the football being played (& results being achieved) is of a greater standard than that which preceded his arrival I would assume you WILL give him credit for that?

He has cleared up his own mess AND some more after that.

Well done to Johnson? What for?

Ruining City's season by the end of November and then getting the club out of the mess he created?

Good grief ! :doh:

I am a real part-timer these days- live away and with work commitments and family illness I can't get to games. The last match I saw was MK Dons at the Gate at the end of the summer and half way through the first half I told my son that that City team was relegation bound. We had nothing - no cohesion, players didn't sem to know what their role was, not team spirit, no fight etc. etc. It was a miracle that we scraped a draw that day.

GJ didn't acheive that - it was all Tinnion's work.

I was luckily able to get to Friday's game at Milton Keynes. What a difference! OK so we did hang on a bit as the second half went on, but MK Dons were bound to throw everything at us given the position they were in. However, the defence looked pretty solid throughout ( complete reverse of the home game). Most importantly, they looked like a proper team working for each other in a way that seemed completely lacking 6 months ago.

Other observations; Brooker was immense, and if we can get a pacey goalscorer ( Lita!) alongside him we should score bucketfuls. I was looking forward to seeing Bas Savage after all the postings on here. The guy is an enigma. He must be the only player who, on a slow motion action replay, would appear to be standing still! However, when it was needed he seemed the guy able to hold the ball up, in particular, one amazing run towards the end was just what we needed at the time. I suspect he must confuse defenders as I doubt he knows what he's going to do next so what chance do defenders have? I have to say tho8ugh that he is not our longb term answer up front.

Basso pulled off one of the greatest saves I've ever seen ( and I'm in my 50's now) as when the hand went up to tip it over the bar I was convinced it was a penalty and a sending off, as there was no way the keeper could have recovered from his initial dive for the shot that hit the post. Fontaine looked really good at the back and with other players around him playing solidly, we could have a nucleus of defenders capable of giving us back the solid defence we had in DW's day. GJ seems to have the whole team much better orgnaised.

One weakness we still have is the ability to give the ball away on the edge of their box, and then see the opposition hit us quickly on the break but we don't seem able to to do the same to the opposition - lack of pace through the midfield? Cotterill seemed the biggest culprit on the night, and he needs to get stronger on the ball as he was too easily bullied off it. Also, for all his pace he didn't seem to have the confidence to get past defenders often enough.

There is no way that GJ created our problems earlier in the season. I accept that some of his initial actions may not have helped imediately, but with hindsight I think they are actions that needed to be taken for the good of the team going forward. I suspect that GJ doesn't particularly like prima dona's ( I've no problem with that) and wants the team to be fit and hardworking ( they were competing for the full 90 minutes at MK Dons) and I have no problem with that either. If he wants to recruit honest, hardworking players, who will be self-disciplined and do the job they were employed to do, then he has my full backing. If he has a squad of that type then I can see us challenging for promotion i the next season.

There is no way that GJ created our problems earlier in the season. I accept that some of his initial actions may not have helped imediately, but with hindsight I think they are actions that needed to be taken for the good of the team going forward. I suspect that GJ doesn't particularly like prima dona's ( I've no problem with that) and wants the team to be fit and hardworking ( they were competing for the full 90 minutes at MK Dons) and I have no problem with that either. If he wants to recruit honest, hardworking players, who will be self-disciplined and do the job they were employed to do, then he has my full backing. If he has a squad of that type then I can see us challenging for promotion i the next season.

here here. well said.

Robbored, it seems to me that you are deliberately trying to be controversial, but you need to understand you are beginning to sound deluded.

You harp on about these "great points" you have made, yet you duck every response to your self-opinionated views and instead concentrate on responses from posters who, through sheer frustration, resort to personal insults. Where is your response to Mozo's post for example? ( which incidentally mirrors my sentiments almost exactly).

It seems in order to provoke a response from the great Robbored, a personal insult is a must.

Robbored you are a plank!

I hope you aren't calling me a liar...

I hope you are going to reply to mine & mozo's points soon. It's funny how you can reply to those who it is easy to critisise but you haven't replied to those who don't have a dig at you. Would you have preferred it if we had insulted you in our posts? :blink:

Another who can't take well argued and reasoned points at face value and who resorts to ridicule in order to reply....... :doh:

What planet are you on? The sentient sage? The voice of reason? You used to put some good points across, but that was a long time ago, these days you just make yourself look more and more ridiculous by the day. As another poster on this thread has intimated, you bring ridicule on yourself with your witless ramblings and failure to answer questions posed by others whilst criticising everyone else for ridiculing you!!

Ruining City's season by the end of November and then getting the club out of the mess he created?

No your mate Tinnion did that, The moment he took the job he did'nt want (apparently). He was totally out of his depth and living on the 'legend' status afforded him by stalkers like you. He's gone, Get over it and if you are a true City fan get behind the new manager and stop stirring it.

At least Tinnion had one full season and 10 matches (including a 7-1 defeat) before there was a major ground swell of opinion to get him out

Point (1) Very serious.

Point (2) So it wasn't Johnson at the helm when the club embarked upon a record run of consequetive defeats?

Point (3) I can accept that the team has been playing well in recent games - but the team were playing well after Johnson took over.Three wins and an unlucky defeat in the first four games. We all know what happened then and its taken this long for Johnson to get things back to where they were when he took over.

Yes we all know what happend and that episode is on it's way to Crown Court in May, How can that be GJ's fault.

Its not that Robbor is talking total shy ite really... I am happy that we now look capable of winning games, and harder to beat. I am still disapointed that we cannot make the playoffs reallistically. The thing is Robbor, we have got to move on... Even had we gained 10 points from those 7 league defeats (3w, 1d, 3L) we would still be outside of a playoff place.

We need to build for next season and get behind the team. If GJ or his players aren't good enough, we will surely find out next year. Until then, lets just wait and see... And Support!!!

I hope you are going to reply to mine & mozo's points soon. It's funny how you can reply to those who it is easy to critisise but you haven't replied to those who don't have a dig at you. Would you have preferred it if we had insulted you in our posts? :blink:

He could have you both on " IGNORE".

There are plenty of posters that find others irritating , incomprehensible, rude, drunk, whatever.

He could have you both on " IGNORE".

There are plenty of posters that find others irritating , incomprehensible, rude, drunk, whatever.

Could well do, but he didn't have those who insulted him on ignore so I don't see why, apart from not being Anti-Johnson :yawn:

Could well do, but he didn't have those who insulted him on ignore so I don't see why, apart from not being Anti-Johnson :yawn:

You don't see why, thats exactly the point. Posters can be irritating etc to certain other posters without realising it.

I don't use the ignore button, but I scroll past at least half a dozen posters who I just find it impossible to read. Robbored may use ignore, or not bother reading/answering posters he has no time for, and thats his choice.

You don't see why, thats exactly the point. Posters can be irritating etc to certain other posters without realising it.

I don't use the ignore button, but I scroll past at least half a dozen posters who I just find it impossible to read. Robbored may use ignore, or not bother reading/answering posters he has no time for, and thats his choice.

Fair enough, never thought of it that way :blush:

All I will say on this subject is this:

At the beginning of the season, the expectation was promotion and glory with Tinnion. The club sold season tickets using that as a byline.

Seven months later, people seem to be raving about being safe from relegation and that Johnson is coming good.

Wilson was booted into touch because he wouldn't accept the reduced budget that Lansdown wanted to impose. Yet if you look at the money spent since his departure, it is probably far more than Wilson was told he would have to spend. One wonders where we would be now if Wilson had been allowed to continue.

Johnson has a long way to go. Yes, he seems to be turning it around but he is still a great distance from convincing me that he can be successful here.

Some people were saying the same thing about Tinnion this time last year when they were clutching at straws that we might get into the play-offs.

Personally, I still think we are still 4 or 5 players short of a team that can win this league.

Bottom line is, Johnson has achieved NOTHING at this club and it remains to be seen whether he does prove a success, so perhaps if those that put him on a such a high pedestal were a little more conservative in their views, those of us who are not convinced might not feel so obliged to knock him off.

Personally, I still think we are still 4 or 5 players short of a team that can win this league.

Bottom line is, Johnson has achieved NOTHING at this club and it remains to be seen whether he does prove a success, so perhaps if those that put him on a such a high pedestal were a little more conservative in their views, those of us who are not convinced might not feel so obliged to knock him off.

I agree that we're a handful of players short from a title-winning team.

But I'd rather back the manager than be a miserable sod like some people on this forum are (not naming anybody). 4/5 months ago I could understand the doom and gloom, but now it's time to cheer up and enjoy the fact that Bristol City have players who put in effort again and we're winning games. Hoorah!

All I will say on this subject is this:

At the beginning of the season, the expectation was promotion and glory with Tinnion. The club sold season tickets using that as a byline.

Seven months later, people seem to be raving about being safe from relegation and that Johnson is coming good.

Wilson was booted into touch because he wouldn't accept the reduced budget that Lansdown wanted to impose. Yet if you look at the money spent since his departure, it is probably far more than Wilson was told he would have to spend. One wonders where we would be now if Wilson had been allowed to continue.

Johnson has a long way to go. Yes, he seems to be turning it around but he is still a great distance from convincing me that he can be successful here.

Some people were saying the same thing about Tinnion this time last year when they were clutching at straws that we might get into the play-offs.

Your last argument goes both ways. Robbored's original post claimed that Johnson was only a Conference standard manager. Therefore if he was a little more conservative in his views maybe those of us who do not agree with that statement might not feel so obliged to big him up!

Overall, though, you are correct in that Johnson has it all to prove. And if given support and backing by all supporters (rather than preconceived negativity) there is a reasonable chance that he can do himself and the club justice. The problem with our support is that many people decide they either love or hate players/managers and then ignore the facts. This club now needs stability, not a change of manager every season - name me successful clubs with revolving doors to the managers office. Johnson needs to be given at least the next three seasons to improve this club to the standard we know it should be reaching.

Despite the opinions of some, I am convinced that Tinnion took this club a long way backwards due to his inexperience and in some ways, Johnson had to take it a few more backward steps before finally starting to go the right way again. If we can make a few improvements (I would say 7 or 8 players will be shown the exit door this summer to be replaced by four good players myself plus maybe a couple of young squad players) and get off to a decent start next season then hopefully the nightmare 12 months or so we have suffered will be over.

Bottom line is, Johnson has achieved NOTHING at this club

GJ has achieved nothing tangible as yet.

However, should the team gather the necessary points over the next few weeks to ensure survival he will have achieved everything that could be reasonably asked of him for this season.

Point (1) Very serious.

Point (2) So it wasn't Johnson at the helm when the club embarked upon a record run of consequetive defeats?

you're just wrong. simple as that. *

* have realised trough 5 pages of the other thread that no amount of articulation of the blindingly obvious flaws in your argument will ever make a difference, so I for one aim to keep the rebuffs as simple as possible from hereon.

... and "conference manager out of his depth, lets hope he leaves and we bring in another guy" wouldnt be considered a *slightly* un-conservative view?!

... and "conference manager out of his depth, lets hope he leaves and we bring in another guy" wouldnt be considered a *slightly* un-conservative view?!

I wasn't trying to support Robbored's argument, I was merely trying to point out that, notwithstanding his view, there are views from others that go to the other extreme and make him out as some sort of messiah.

For me, he is a lower league manager that, so far, has not proved he can cut the mustard at this level of club fooball.

I wasn't trying to support Robbored's argument, I was merely trying to point out that, notwithstanding his view, there are views from others that go to the other extreme and make him out as some sort of messiah.

For me, he is a lower league manager that, so far, has not proved he can cut the mustard at this level of club fooball.

Nor should you expect any proof within his first few months. Whether he can cut the mustard will be displayed over a lengthier period of time. He's not the messiah but by backing him as much as is sensible will only help his tenure at the club. Positivity breeds positivity. Too much negativity at our club.

Nor should you expect any proof within his first few months. Whether he can cut the mustard will be displayed over a lengthier period of time. He's not the messiah but by backing him as much as is sensible will only help his tenure at the club. Positivity breeds positivity. Too much negativity at our club.

Brian Tinnion would certainly agree with you....funny how the same set of principles apply to one particular manager but not another... :dunno:

Brian Tinnion would certainly agree with you....funny how the same set of principles apply to one particular manager but not another... :dunno:

So you don't have me on ignore Robbored!

I know what you mean but we'll see where Gary Johnson has got City after 14 months of his tenure.

The comparison will be very interesting indeed. Shall we call it Feb or March next year?

That's quite true. But I would expect to see signs that his tenure is a wise one and that he is astute in the marketplace, tactically aware when his team is playing and motivational in the dressing room.

So far, for me, he has demonstrated very little of that. Apart from Noble, his signings have been adequate at best and very poor at worst. His tactical nous is questionable and his only motivation in the dressing room is apparently to demand peak fitness and throw grenades around.

Perhaps my last sentence was a little facetious but I'm afraid the public face of Gary Johnson doesn't strike me as a manager I could put my faith into to bring the club success - yet.

While the current trend is a positive one with the team starting to play better and achieve results, I still find very little to be positive about, considering the team will again need a large shake-up in the summer with no guarantee that the one that starts next season will be any better than the one that finishes this one.

:(

That's quite true. But I would expect to see signs that his tenure is a wise one and that he is astute in the marketplace, tactically aware when his team is playing and motivational in the dressing room.

So far, for me, he has demonstrated very little of that. Apart from Noble, his signings have been adequate at best and very poor at worst. His tactical nous is questionable and his only motivation in the dressing room is apparently to demand peak fitness and throw grenades around.

Perhaps my last sentence was a little facetious but I'm afraid the public face of Gary Johnson doesn't strike me as a manager I could put my faith into to bring the club success - yet.

While the current trend is a positive one with the team starting to play better and achieve results, I still find very little to be positive about, considering the team will again need a large shake-up in the summer with no guarantee that the one that starts next season will be any better than the one that finishes this one.

:(

Never mind, I hope for both our sakes you are at some point convinced.

Johnson ruined City's season did he by losing 9 games in a row? Maybe those 9 games were crucial to City being where they are now and not in the bottom 4.

Lets not forget Tinnion did a half dececnt job with Wilsons' old squad then brought in his own players and it went pear shaped. So maybe we chould blame Tinnion for not being good enough, Steve Lansdown for appointing both Tinnion and Johnson, or is it Wilson's fault for not getting us promoted.

Fact is you can't prove Johnson runied Citys' season just like I can't prove by losing those 9 games were crucial to GJ getting control of the dressing room and generally sorting things out.

Archived