IGNORED

Who Remembers...

Betelgeuse

My first away game was oxford cant remember it was in the pulis era thou,steve jones played steve phillips was in goal and we lost 3nil but was still a good day out.

I remember that one, we kept chucking the ball over the back of their large open away terrace whenever it went into the City fans.

ahhh.....good stuff. :)

• Admin

At home to Newcastle in either late 80's or early 90's. It was a cup match and i think we lost 0-1.

Ronnie Sinclair was in goal and the ground was packed, that's all I can remember :blush:

If anyone can fill in some blanks, I'd be most grateful :)

We lost at home to Newcastle 2-1 on 09/01/93 but was in the league, we did beat them 1-0 in league 29/09/90. Correct me if I am wrong but can only recall playing them in league cup in Sept '95, when we lost 5-0....

like it says below my avatar, it was a 1-0 win against stockport in the mid-nineties, probably '95 or '96. it was either agostino or david seal who scored, can't remember. but i can remember it being a pretty poor game, still, a win's a win.

Date was 26th August 1995.

My first City game was home to Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup on 10th January 1987, it was a 1-1 draw, think Glyn Riley scored.

(Strange thing is my partners first City game was home to Argyle in 1997)

First away game was a certain FA Cup tie at Anfield on 25th January 1994.

Have not looked back since :dunno:

31st March 1990 vs Mansfield Town. Score: 1-1

Mansfield went ahead midway through the second half, and Bob Taylor scored a last minute equaliser. My memories a little bit hazy but I think the attendance figure was something like 11773. :whistle:

http://www.citystats.org.uk/search.asp

A great website where you can find the exact date and attendance of your first ever City game! Hats off to whoever runs it.

Had nagged my old man for ages to take me down. Of all the games to choose, he suggested the match against Rovers. City had just been relegated (the start of the grand slide), it was 23/8/1980 - and was a 0 0 special. Not short of drama though - a small contingent of nice lads in blue chucked bricks at us from the top of the long ashton by pass as we walked along the dusused railway line from Hotwells.

City were: Cashley, Sweeney, Whitehead, Tainton, Gow, Merrick, Fitzpatrick,

Mabbutt, Ritchie, Mann, Pritchard.

Rovers listed as: Thomas, Gilles, Bater, Mabbutt, Hughes, Lee McCaffrey,

Barrowclough, Williams, Bates, Penny (Pulis).

Gate actually listed as 16,612.

Brief match write-up reads : "The hot sunshine takes the steam out of this

derby clash. Rovers get the point they came for with an ultra-defensive

performance. Apart from occaisional inspired Gary Mabbutt breaks, City are

not troubled, but despite almost constant attacking are lost for ideas to

beat Martin Thomas".

Was our third straight draw from the opening of the season leaving us in

12th place.

Sad to see that you didn't confess that you knew none of the above information until you came begging me for it.

Topic done recently if I recall. Mine was, I think, City home to Leeds in December 1976: the fog abandoned one with the Sex Pistols ad in the programme.

Stood in the East End V Brum 1967; you young pups missed the real atmosphere; were`nt to many moans about, swearing,smoking, standing either; those were the days my friends. :dance::dance::dance:

I have no idea of the date, must have been late 80,s but i sat in the williams stand with me dad when there was terracing at the front of the williams and of course the away end and City lost 2-0 to Barnsley......not alot has changed since. I was hooked, so its my dads fault i,ve endured all these years of misery....nah wouldn,t change it for anything. Its hard work being a city fan but we all love it, if truth be told.

I cant remember much about my first match, it was the late 80s and I was sat in the Ayteo with my dad, right behind the goal mouth. I remember a big birly bloke shouting some foul abuse at the ref, he then lent over and apoligised to me! Bless him. I've been going ever since xxx

I cant remember much about my first match, it was the late 80s and I was sat in the Ayteo with my dad, right behind the goal mouth. I remember a big birly bloke shouting some foul abuse at the ref, he then lent over and apoligised to me! Bless him. I've been going ever since xxx

When was the atyeo built? I'm sure it wasnt late 80,s because we had the terraced away end the year we beat liverpool in the F.A cup and that was 93 if i remember correctly.

When was the atyeo built? I'm sure it wasnt late 80,s because we had the terraced away end the year we beat liverpool in the F.A cup and that was 93 if i remember correctly.

defo was in the 90s. I remember a sterile 0-0 v West Brom at Easter 94 where I am sure the Ateyo was still work in progress, if not still to be started.

First time was when the Glos Cup used to give tickets out to schools. Went down Eastville with the City fans. Oh my God, I was only 11, fighting going on everywhere, a City fan even ran on the pitch and tried to slap the referee. 4 years later I went down the City ground on my own for a Craic. Went in the East End for the seasons opener against Bolton, and City won 2-0. In those days, some of the nutters used to wear white butchers coats with blood all over them. Tried to pretend I was all cool, but still crapped meself!!

Went down ever since, and miss it like hell now. :(

Sir Colby I was at that game too.....................abandoned half way through, and really should never have been played.

I was bored at work and thinking about how many games ive been to in my life and how many of them i've forgot about! But i can clearly remeber my first game, 1992 City vs Leicester, 1-0 down at half time, won 2-1 thanks to an andy cole strike and an own goal! Can any one else recall their first game??

.. think mine might have been the very next game. Lost 2-1 at home to Derby on the last home game of the season i think. Ray Atteveld scored his only goal for city that went into the right goal!

Great game, great crowd, Cole and Jacki in the team, and i was hooked..

I was bored at work and thinking about how many games ive been to in my life and how many of them i've forgot about! But i can clearly remeber my first game, 1992 City vs Leicester, 1-0 down at half time, won 2-1 thanks to an andy cole strike and an own goal! Can any one else recall their first game??

Remember it well - home v Soton in the cup - we won 3-1 and Chris Crowe scored a super goal ( sadly he has passed away now ) - must have been about 1958 I think !

Ron Davies was Soton's star and Lowe and Connor were the defenders who kept him at bay !!

I can also remember mine {Chris,s dad} it was 1st March 1969 and City won 6 - 0 against Fulham, me and my older brother went into the wrong end and was in with the Fulham fans (about 10 of them) we climbed back into the open end that had city fans in, its a shame really because my brother ended up as a gas scummer.

31st Jan 1967 Halifax Town 3rd rnd replay Ashton Gate 4 - 1 home win 23,188

stood under the hospital broadcast hut in the open end.I was given the choice of watching rovers reserves or this match.Did they think I was kin mental? It was brilliant! the lights, smell, biggish crowd, toilet rolls and

noise I was hooked and have been ever since.

1975 V Fulham..

We won...

:)

That was the game Fulham goalkeeper Peter Mellor had a dart thrown at him from the East End. Just before the Cup Final and Bobby Moore was playing.

Big melee in the middle in the crowd when the police went in to get the culprit, game stopped, and ended up with 7 fans being draggd out.

Must have been last home game of the season, because when we came back in August for the start of our promotion season, the middle of the East End had two permanent access gangways for the police on either side of it.

First City game a Cub trip, away at Beastvile in the Glos Cup, gas leader trying to indoctrinate us all into becoming Rovers fans. Nasty, evil man.

Didn't work, City won 5-0, fans trampled the flower beds to see City lift the Cup. :city:

First home game, well memorable one anyway, was City v. Spurs league cup Semi-final.

So packed i only got as far as near the top of the entrance slope into the East End. Unbelievable noise and sight of all the heads and animated arms looking across towards the middle.

Night match, never forget the glint of the floodlights dancing on Gilzean's bald head a he glanced the ball into the City net.

I hoped all matches would have an atmosphere like that, and a fair proportion in the 70's really did.

Archived