IGNORED

Who Remembers...

Betelgeuse

I was bored at work and thinking about how many games ive been to in my life and how many of them i've forgot about! But i can clearly remeber my first game, 1992 City vs Leicester, 1-0 down at half time, won 2-1 thanks to an andy cole strike and an own goal! Can any one else recall their first game??

Yeah man, mine was on 20th of January 1990 against Bury, I was taken along as a Birthday treat and was sat in The Dolman. It was around the time of that Chelsea game so why I wasn't taken to that one instead I will never know.

City won 1-0, and it was either a Bob Taylor penalty or there was a penalty in the game that we missed, or something, I really must get around to doing some research.

Anacdotal memory's are limited, but I remember people being satisfied with the 3 points even though the game wasn't overly thrilling as City stormed on to promotion, despite the bitter twist at the finale. I have never stopped thanking Buddah that my Dad happened to work across the road from Ashton Gate and not in Bath.

Lineup:Sinclair, Llewellyn, Bailey, Shelton, Humphries, Rennie, Gavin, Newman, Taylor, Smith, Turner.

Bristol City 0 v 0 Tottenham Hotspurs, (Old) Division One, Saturday, January 13th, 1979, 3pm. (78/79 season)

City team, Shaw, Sweeney, Gillies, Gow, Rodgers, Hunter, Tainton, Ritchie, Royle, Cormack, Whitehead, Mann, - Manager Alan Dicks

THFC Team, Mark Kendall, Terry Naylor, Don Mcallister, Ricardo Villa, John Lacey, Steve Perryman, John Pratt, Osvaldo Ardiles, Colin Lee, Chris Jones, Peter Taylor, Gerry Armstrong, - Manager Keith Burkinshaw

Just checked on citystats and it was Wycombe on the 22 November 1997. City won 3-1 but i was only 9 at the time and cant really remember much about it.

But it was 4 years later when i went to my next game, Kingstonian on the 27 Jan 2001 with Tony Thorpe getting a last minute equaliser if my memory is correct.

Mine would have been about 1990. My mum knows which game it was.

My mum, great grandfather and two brothers were all meant to be going. On the day my brother was ill, so they took me figuring that I was probably old enough. So I got on the coach into Bristol that day and sat in the Dolman.

Also asked at half-time "where are the adverts?"

it was in 1990 against blackburn we won 2-0! but cant remenber anything about it cause i was only 2! but my nearest memory after that, was when we drew against rovers 1-1 when beadle scored in the last minute for rovers and the crowd invaded the pitch I'm not quite sure what year it was?

Was back in about 1963 (ish) and my Dad took me and my sister to see City vs Palace (he's a Palace fan). I was 3 or 4 at the time and really looked the biz in my steel capped clarks sandals, teddy bear shirt & duffle coat. Stood in front of Grandstand. Dolman wasn't even thought of and an old wooden terrace went the full length of that side of the ground.

Palace won 1 nil but I did learn lots of new words like "palace are ###t, that would be a source of amusement to me when yelled at my Father in the preceeding years.

Catering was much the same as I spent most of the second half trying my best to suck the pork out of this "mother" of a pie.

Been a fan ever since.

Friendly against Chelsea at the Gate - circa 73 or thereabouts

Next game was following season (can't remember who) with my Dad

First game on my ownsome (well with a mate) - Stoke City Home 1976 Division 1 (Cheesley injury game)

First Away game on my own ARSENAL - our First game DIV 1

(I was chased through many Narf Landon blocks of flats on that day I can tell E)

2-1 v PNE Feb 69. It was pouring with rain and I ended up on the Open End :angry: but I was hooked. That rain helped because the pitch became wet mud which John Galley slid through to hit stroke the winning goal. :)

As a guide to inflation; The programme and a cup of tea cost the same 6d (2.5p) whilst entry was 2/6 (12.5p).

The bus company realised they were meant to operate a service and ran special direct busses to AG from ALL parts of Bristol including Horfield and Lockleaze.

Had nagged my old man for ages to take me down. Of all the games to choose, he suggested the match against Rovers. City had just been relegated (the start of the grand slide), it was 23/8/1980 - and was a 0 0 special. Not short of drama though - a small contingent of nice lads in blue chucked bricks at us from the top of the long ashton by pass as we walked along the dusused railway line from Hotwells.

City were: Cashley, Sweeney, Whitehead, Tainton, Gow, Merrick, Fitzpatrick,

Mabbutt, Ritchie, Mann, Pritchard.

Rovers listed as: Thomas, Gilles, Bater, Mabbutt, Hughes, Lee McCaffrey,

Barrowclough, Williams, Bates, Penny (Pulis).

Gate actually listed as 16,612.

Brief match write-up reads : "The hot sunshine takes the steam out of this

derby clash. Rovers get the point they came for with an ultra-defensive

performance. Apart from occaisional inspired Gary Mabbutt breaks, City are

not troubled, but despite almost constant attacking are lost for ideas to

beat Martin Thomas".

Was our third straight draw from the opening of the season leaving us in

12th place.

This makes me feel v. old, but my first match was in 1977 against Liverpool (I was 7). We won 2-0. My Dad was a milkman at the time delivering to schools and the school had received some free tickets (just shows all these initiatives have been tried before)! One of the pupils from the school was unwell and couldn't use his ticket so they gave it to my Dad - I don't think they realised he had a daughter not a son. Anyway I got in with a schoolboy ticket and was very excited because I had a big crush on Kevin Keegan. Unfortunately he was injured for that match and didn't play, but who knew that all these years later I'd still be going to Ashton Gate with my Dad. (I've got over my crush on Kevin Keegan now though)!! :wub:

:englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf: 1959 I WAS STILL IN THE NAVY .I ONLY WENT FOR A LAUGH AND IT WAS ON CITY UNFORTUNATELEY AS THEY LOST 3-2.BUT I GOT HOOKED AND HAVE SUPPORTED THEM EVER SINCE.

1987 - Area final of the Freight Rover trophy versus Aldershot Town at the gate. I believe we won 2-0, and my second ever game was the penalties defeat at Wembley - Gordon Owen :@

Yeah man, mine was on 20th of January 1990 against Bury, I was taken along as a Birthday treat and was sat in The Dolman. It was around the time of that Chelsea game so why I wasn't taken to that one instead I will never know.

City won 1-0, and it was either a Bob Taylor penalty or there was a penalty in the game that we missed, or something, I really must get around to doing some research.

Anacdotal memory's are limited, but I remember people being satisfied with the 3 points even though the game wasn't overly thrilling as City stormed on to promotion, despite the bitter twist at the finale. I have never stopped thanking Buddah that my Dad happened to work across the road from Ashton Gate and not in Bath.

Lineup:Sinclair, Llewellyn, Bailey, Shelton, Humphries, Rennie, Gavin, Newman, Taylor, Smith, Turner.

That was my first game too! Bizarre that I didn't know you were there too as we were at school together at the time :D Mark Gavin scored for City I believe.

My next game was, shamefully, City vs York on a Friday night in October '96. It cost me £3 to get in. City won 2-0 with goals from Agostino and Goodridge, and I was hooked for life from then.

This is a guess, but I think this was the team:

Welch; Carey, Edwards, Taylor, Barnard; Goodridge, Owers, Kuhl, Tinnion; Agostino, Goater.

My first game was against either Port Vale or Northampton very early Eighties, just after Christmas i think we lost 3-1 (did'nt take much notice, i kept asking my dad if it's nearly over yet :crying: ) i was about 8 or 9 and we stood up the open end

I had to laugh though this boy about my age in the away end climbed on the railings taunting the City fans and fell ok and broke his glasses :laugh:

That was my first game too! Bizarre that I didn't know you were there too as we were at school together at the time :D Mark Gavin scored for City I believe.

My next game was, shamefully, City vs York on a Friday night in October '96. It cost me £3 to get in. City won 2-0 with goals from Agostino and Goodridge, and I was hooked for life from then.

This is a guess, but I think this was the team:

Welch; Carey, Edwards, Taylor, Barnard; Goodridge, Owers, Kuhl, Tinnion; Agostino, Goater.

I remember you were there, you sat in the Williams I think. Didn't mention it as didn't deem it necessary for public knowledge.

Can remember our Old Men chuckling before the game about how we'll have to wave across to each other. Fairly glad I didn't inherit my sense of humour off of my Old Man.

Bless him.

My real addiction didn't kick in until the mid 90's either, we used to go once, twice a season before that cos my Dad ain't all that interested and taking a large family to Football even back then was an expense.

That £3 deal was decent of the Club and by that time my Ma no longer believed that the world was going to end if I left the safe compounds of her sight for more than 5 minutes.

Mine was home v Wimbledon circa 1992 I think. It was an FA Cup game and we drew 1-1, getting a late equaliser. I think we hit the post late on as well. Remember it being a great atmosphere and being a bit overawed by it all as I was 6 at the time. Sat in the Dolman with my old man and loved it.

The game which really got me hooked was my 2nd, against the Rovers at the Gate - the game where we won 2-1 with Tinnion scoring a penalty (1993?). I was completely overawed by the atmosphere and the reaction of my dad when we went 1-0 up - in the previous derby we'd lost 4-0 and the Gasheads were taking the **** out of us all game at the Gate - when we scored and the celebrations had died down my Dad stood up, looked towards the Sags and shouted "you're all ****** quiet now arent you!!" At the time, I didn't understand why my dad got so wound up but now it's rubbed off on me!

Reserve game against Notts County in 1976 or 77.

I remember it was a reserve game because we only got a drink at half time at reserve games... at first I thought that was the difference between the two types of games - only later to find out it was because the queue was too long at normal home games!!!

Mine was in september 1996 v wallsall joe jordan was manager i think i was 9at the time.I think greg goodridge scored a free kick in the last minute but i missed that goal because me old man said we had to go because of traffic.My first away game was oxford cant remember it was in the pulis era thou,steve jones played steve phillips was in goal and we lost 3nil but was still a good day out.

Archived