IGNORED

Forum Members Drinking Sesh

RED4LIFE

Ah i see. I think I'm with you now :)

Good work DD, :farmer:

It's just nice to have a misery free space here on the non-footy. There's also no repetition of the same old stories. If the City forum had the 'spirit' of the non-footy it would be mint.

Yeah, totally agree. There's good vibes in the non-footy section...

I thought to myself that it isn't as bad as what they were saying it was then, now.

You mean things are more like they used to be than they are now?

I've posted this quote on here before - this guy hosts a music website and knows exactly where his forum is heading! Don't worry about it, I was around in '98 when the City forum was in its infancy and there were plenty of idiots, trolls and spammers around back then. As the man said, nostalgia aint what it used to be.

Like all messageboards, this one will start off slow, then grow into a "Silver" period where new people just as intelligent as the old will add to the bustling community with new thoughts and ideas and great threads and timewasters. This will grow in size and scope (as well as multiple forums), harbouring in a new "Golden Age" where the "old guard" of alpha males and cliques officially gets established, and as time goes on sets itself as a kind of bureacracy, resistant to change and overly-protective of its status.

Then the board will get too big. Idiots, trolls and spammers will show up trying to exploit the community's eclectic atmosphere, and a new guard will try to oust the old guard. Much fighting will ensue. The signal-to-noise ratio will plummet, as it becomes obvious to more than a few that the usefulness of the forum is inversely proportional to how many people there are (one of the internet's greater ironies).

People will complain that things have changed while others will counter that nothing has changed, just they have. And in the end it will be like every other attempt at a serious and sensible web community: a trash heap of ignorant human opinion, socially aggressive attention whores and lacklustre attempts at restoring its former glory, when, much like Pandora's Box, it can never be that way again. It will become a bitter, intolerant, hollow shell of its once proud sense of self-worth.

This will probably occur over the span of about two years. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, depending on the popularity of the community. It has happened. It will happen. I fully expect it to happen here.

You cant please all the people all of the time etc etc.

I just thought it would be nice to see/meet people whose comments i read every day.

Besides, Ive sort of got a picture in my head of what you all look like and I just know that none of you will look like that!!

Going back to the post about 'the good old days' and young uns coming onto the site, I'm 30 and ive been a member of OTIB for about a year. Does this make me a young forum member or an old un? :blink:

Now I have noticed that some of the more frequent posting members don't post anymore (willsbridge red, Ashtonyate etc.) but I don't think the quality has sunk. I reckon WTFIGO!, Bristol Boy (when he can get off of the soapbox) Red Goblin and others all add some excellent posts,thoughts and humour onto the site, its just that their isnt a whole lot of things to talk about on the City forum at the moment. Just wait until the new seasons about to start and all will be good again. :pray:

Losing your memory Nogbad? We also met Ron, Dolly, Honeycrack, etc! :razz:

Any excuse for a booze up is fine by me! :Party12: although I think maybe I'm a little younger than the 'current generation'! :blush:

I'd met Dolly before Sophs, and i seem to remember you monopolised Honeycrack - or was it the other way round :o:dunno: Young Ron however was a shameful omission.

What's all this about a booze-up, young lady. :nono:

It's a coincidence that this topic should come up again. I stumbled across this thread the other day, from two and a half years ago. I was wandering about the golden age so went to the start of 'Robboreds' topics and went on the first long thread I could find. I was also wandering if 'Robbored' had a habbit of taking the controversial view. I hope that you don't mind me bringing it up, 'Robbored', I'm not trying to catch you out, your entitled to your view.

It made for an interesting read...

The thread was about the state of the forum back then. Two posts stood out for me...

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1643&hl=

Is it a case of "we were here first"????

Surely it should be a case of, "we are all BCFC fans"???

Also, we all come on here for various reasons too.

Some prefer a laugh, some prefer to pretend they're Gary Johnson....

Tis ###### good research BB.

I never believed in all this good old days BS.

Pure cliquie 'rose tinted spectacles' as I suspected.

The quality may have diluted due to sheer quantity , good members may have chipped off for what ever reasons they needed too, I dispair with the negativety all round though and find it fairly patronising.

We gotta organise that forum **** up despite the Old Boys.

You mean things are more like they used to be than they are now?

I've posted this quote on here before - this guy hosts a music website and knows exactly where his forum is heading! Don't worry about it, I was around in '98 when the City forum was in its infancy and there were plenty of idiots, trolls and spammers around back then. As the man said, nostalgia aint what it used to be.

You have posted that quote several times City Rocker, however i think the way this board regenerates itself, recently by becoming unofficial again, but also by natural turnover of posters, means that there's a good chance it can continue to thrive.

At times, when OTIB has been going through a particularly dull or tetchy period your quote has seemed apt and made perfect sense.

However it never lasts long because successful or not, there is always something happening at BCFC and the enthusiasm of the fans never wanes for long.

Some of the familiar posters do become sour with the whole business and naturally move on but that in itself shouldn't be lamented as long as there are enthusiastic and colourful replacements, and to my mind there has never been a shortage of those.

All in all, after a bit of a quiet spell i reckon the forum's in pretty good shape at the moment. :city:

Here we go with another episode of 'Back in the Days' OTIB stylie. I remember the first ever forum didnt even require you to log in. You could just make up any old name, but the unwritten rules of the forum back then said you didnt steal somebodys elses alias. That got shut down after death threats to our friend tiny penis. 90% of the posters back then were genuine and the banter was good. These days, about 7 years on, the internet has grown and grown and now any tom, dick or harry has access to it we get stupid posts, rumours etc etc. you only have to look at the front page of the forum now to get my point.

the otib forum was a great thing of yesteryear, never to be repeated I'm afraid. the magic is gone and i think forum meets and nights out will probably just end up in a fight.

Don't agree with that at all Rich.

There have always been idiots on the forum right from the start and if anything i'd say there are as few now as there have ever been.

The magic appears to have gone from your enthusiasm for the forum, nothing more than that; it is what you make of it.

I've been to two forum meets in the past and everyone was exceptionally friendly. I guess it wouldn't be a good idea for anyone to attend who had antagonised people to such an extent that a punch up might ensue, but even then the chances are that they'd get on fine face to face.

You are a member of the forum football team, i believe, which is after all just an off-shoot from this forum.

No doubt you have social occasions with the team, even if only post-match, have they ever ended up in a brawl?

don't get me wrong there still are a handful of a posters on here that are tops and i do have to say you have added a bit of spark back to OTIB. Nogbad, Madger, TomF, Godzilla, BRR, NR, Bristol Boy, BB, WTFIGO to name a few but where has Willsbridge, Edson etc etc gone? :(

Edson was indeed a legendary poster, quick witted and prolific.

However others have arrived to add spark and variation to the forum in recent months - newish recruits like ARNY, Harry Dolman, Mozo, BB, WTF - to name but a few, have all brought with them plenty of insight and not a little wit.

Some of the names have changed, and a few former stalwart posters are missed, but the 'feel' of the forum, and it's overall standard, seem to me to be good at the moment. :city:

Edson was indeed a legendary poster, quick witted and prolific.

However others have arrived to add spark and variation to the forum in recent months - newish recruits like ARNY, Harry Dolman, Mozo, BB, WTF - to name but a few, have all brought with them plenty of insight and not a little wit.

Some of the names have changed, and a few former stalwart posters are missed, but the 'feel' of the forum, and it's overall standard, seem to me to be good at the moment. :city:

I'm glad you feel like that Nogbad. Probably just me and sour grapes. I have learnt to scan over topics which i know arent going to be of interest. "Worse City hair cut" springs to mind. I just miss the magic where a few select posters were regular contributors to well thought out, reasoned debate which i used to enjoy reading and sometimes partaking in. Forum meets were of course part and parcel, often boiling in Ashton Park watching the next Pele's kicking a ball around :whistle:

Granted, there were of course some idiots back then and it was these mindless morons which eventually led to the closure of old OTIB but with alot more people gaining access to the tinternet now there still are a fair few. I guess you get that wherever you go in life, at work, school and even on an internet forum and it's what you personally make of it that counts. If you let things bother you and you take life far to seriously then where's the fun in that? If you can't beat them, join them. Afterall we are all City fans and perhaps it's time to lay the 'good old days' well and trully down to bed :)

I'd met Dolly before Sophs, and i seem to remember you monopolised Honeycrack - or was it the other way round :o:dunno: Young Ron however was a shameful omission.

What's all this about a booze-up, young lady. :nono:

Nothing! Nothing at all! :me?:

Guest DrFaustus

Hi all,

I'm sure this has probably been put forward before, but I wondered if any forum members would be interested in organising a big P-up for us all.

Even Dr F would be invited as long as he keeps the goats at home!!

Count me in. It's Malone's round anyway, the tight-fisted, short-armed, deep-pocketed tightwad.

i seem to remember you monopolised Honeycrack - or was it the other way round :o:dunno:

Ummm.....did somebody say my (old) name?

I don't remember being monopolised or being the one that was monopolising for that matter! :blink:

T'was nice to meet plenty of new faces though :)

Guest DrFaustus

Don't bring Malone, he always ends up passed out on the balcony covered in his own urine

Hmm...you have a point. Similar to Mozo and Dagest, so I've heard.

Archived