IGNORED

Cover Versions

RED4LIFE

Knicking somebody elses song and crucifying it is a complete disgrace.

If you haven't got enough talent to write your own song then that's your problem.

Have people no shame?

That ****ing idiot who did 'Light My Fire' made my blood boil.

Will Young? His version was good!

Unless you mean that old wierdo who sang something about being a bunsen burner.. that was a bit strange!! :blink:

Will Young? His version was good!

I think that was the one yeah.

I didn't think it was good.

Although I think my thoughts were made clear enough on the topic in my other post, I would really like to convert my sentiments into a fat rant, I feel quite strongly about this, however you are saved due to my brain petrol being limited so I'll just leave it and say; cover versions, especially by manufactured, talentless idiots, all in order to suck the green paper out of Joe Public and create yet more scum of the earth celebraties for the faceless masses to idolise, goes against everything I believe in, yes - everything!

I think that was the one yeah.

I didn't think it was good.

Although I think my thoughts were made clear enough on the topic in my other post, I would really like to convert my sentiments into a fat rant, I feel quite strongly about this, however you are saved due to my brain petrol being limited so I'll just leave it and say; cover versions, especially by manufactured, talentless idiots, all in order to suck the green paper out of Joe Public and create yet more scum of the earth celebraties for the faceless masses to idolise, goes against everything I believe in, yes - everything!

Sorry, didn't mean to touch a nerve! :me?:

There are too many bad covers to comment. But good ones are good (few and far between but good none the less). I like a lot of old reggae covers, labels like Trojan do immense covers of all sorts of songs, as well as one of my all time favourite songs (not covers, I haven't listed my favs for that), "Take me home Country Road" by Toots and the Maytals. Immense song. Yellowman has done some good covers too.

And as well, while we're on this theme - covers were and are very important in the music industry and have prompted the arrival of various changes in music genre - DnB and 'newer' hiphop (i.e. RJD2 & Shadow) rely on samples which would never have happened where it not for covers in the first place. So they're not all bad.

Marilyn Manson's version of Sweet Dreams are Made of These. :wub: far better than the original!

Bad covers would be..anything by girls aloud, westlife, atomic kitten etc! Heard some italian tenor doing a version of Keane's Bedshaped the other day on an advert.. it was awful!! :doh:

Was gonna mention MM's Tainted love as a massive improvement on the original. Also, gotta love NIN's "Hurt" (very different and powerful) and then what about Jolene by the White Stripes?

There are some awesome covers out there and the benefits of covers are either:

1 - they improve the song

2 - They do the song differently

3 - They bring the song to a new/wider audience.

Other covers (Gareth Gates butchering Unchained Melody - a beautiful song - springs to mind) may be pointless.

Marilyn Manson's version of Sweet Dreams are Made of These. :wub: far better than the original!

A damn good cover, awesome live too :) although i would say that his cover of I put a spell on you is as god if not better.

Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails is utterly stunning.

For strangeness Opeth's cover of remember tomorow by Iron maiden is interesting.

As for worst cover i think it's a toss up between Will Young butchering Light my fire by the Doors, Will young is a small dripple of **** compared to Jim Morrison, and Rolf Harris butchering Stairway to Heaven by Led Zepplin.

cover versions, especially by manufactured, talentless idiots, all in order to suck the green paper out of Joe Public and create yet more scum of the earth celebraties for the faceless masses to idolise, goes against everything I believe in, yes - everything!

Now that sums up everything that is bad about music. I couldnt agree with that comment more!!

I think the radio 1 live lounge covers are ace, the best in my opinion came from Sugababes and their cover of I be you look good on the dance floor

I must admit that is a superb part of her show, but thats more a tradition, with the groups doing it for a laugh, not to ring money out of people.

It truly winds me up, that some people only buy the music that they get forcefed by bloody tv pop star shows and tabloid newspapers. Its celebrity culture gone mad. These people should make up their own minds, instead of what tv etc tell ems good! :@

Sorry, I apologise if ive offended people with this rant, but i love my music and it sucks to see it being abused by wannabe celebritys, y'know.

Rant over :shutup::shutup::shutup:

I must admit that is a superb part of her show, but thats more a tradition, with the groups doing it for a laugh, not to ring money out of people.

It truly winds me up, that some people only buy the music that they get forcefed by bloody tv pop star shows and tabloid newspapers. Its celebrity culture gone mad. These people should make up their own minds, instead of what tv etc tell ems good! :@

Sorry, I apologise if ive offended people with this rant, but i love my music and it sucks to see it being abused by wannabe celebritys, y'know.

Rant over :shutup::shutup::shutup:

I agree with that whole-heartedly, the term 'celebrity' is dished out to anyone and it's way passed the stage of tedious now.....oh well massive bucket of salt for all those 'music fans' who like the next pop idol :pinch:

Now that sums up everything that is bad about music. I couldnt agree with that comment more!!

This is the only opinion I demand for in my men, you'll have to pop in to the singles forum thread and join in the fun with myself and ballwinningcentrehalf (aka - oooh Shaun Taylor! :wub: ).

We'll be the one's with the chainsaws :blink::blink:

Its celebrity culture gone mad.

......and I don't like it.

Archived